Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
My problem with Revolutions was that I didn't give a poo poo about Zion or giant robot fights. I would have preferred to see the Smiths taking on the Merovingian, for example.

Also fat Morpheus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Clipperton posted:

My problem with Revolutions was that I didn't give a poo poo about Zion or giant robot fights.

That's a pretty big failing because, as established earlier, the premise of the sequel(s) is that Zion is now the most familiar environment. It's the everyday reality called into question by the shenanigans in the computer world.

However, the film opens in the matrix and stays there for most of its runtime, when it would be far more appropriate to make the film primarily about life in the post-apocalypse, with trips into the videogame. The solution isn't less Zion but a better Zion. There are nice details, like the emphasis on having to physically carry piles of ammunition from place to place, but there's not enough of that.

The ballsy thing would be to make the sequels entirely about some low-level Zion guy who's stuck at home eating Tasty Wheat watching people flying around on the TV, and thinking to himself "what the gently caress is this bullshit?"

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
The thing that strikes me as weird about the Matrix, watching it again after many years, was how they built up this whole world in which the indiscriminate murder of random passers-by is perfectly acceptable. Like, they didn't have to make it so the Agents took over people's bodies, but they chose the thing that made mowing down every random security guard and policeman okay, and nobody ever shows the tiniest bit of remorse over it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Once Neo became yet another sunglassed dude talking like a robot badass, long stretches of conversation like that meeting of captains in the sewer got kind of hard to sit through.

I liked all three movies, though the third one became a slog to sit through and I've never felt inclination to rewatch it, unlike the first two.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's kinda funny how quickly the Matrix franchise became completely irrelevant as a cultural icon. The first movie was parodied endlessly for like three years. And the buzz for the sequels was crazy. In the build-up to the release of the sequels, there was so much hype about the Matrix as a franchise and how it was going to be the next Star Wars. Prequels, spin-offs, comics, video games, lunchboxes, the whole works. And then the movies actually came out and...whoosh. Nobody gave a poo poo about the Matrix anymore.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The main thing to note was that the first film had a ton of horror elements are almost-entirely gone in the sequels because they're pushed to the level of camp ridiculousness. The cartoonishness of the highway chase goes well beyond anything in Speed Racer, and that's kinda the point. It's moronic.

Woden
May 6, 2006

zandert33 posted:

I really thought Reloaded was fantastic, and thought it introduced some great concepts and could have lead into an interesting final movie. Then Revolutions came out and was horrible.

Same, because they were filmed back to back and because Matrix 1 could be taken as a stand alone Revolutions somewhat unfairly taints Reloaded. Similar deal with BSG, I was all on board to buy the box set until I saw the final couple of episodes then was like, lol nope.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Blue Star posted:

It's kinda funny how quickly the Matrix franchise became completely irrelevant as a cultural icon.
I think it's rather funny how "blue pill"/"red pill" became a rallying cry for MRAs. I remember that coming up a lot during the whole Elliot Rodger thing. I'm not really sure that's what the Wachowskis intended.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

zandert33 posted:

I don't care what people say, it should have just been a matrix within a matrix (the "Real" being another false reality created by the machines to trick certain people who got past the first layer).

This is kinda why I wanna do a Transformers style thread for the Matrix trilogy, because they sorta did.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
One thing that I always hated in Revolutions was the mecha/power armor design. The cockpit is totally exposed and unprotected, just inviting a sentinel to stab the human inside.

Then I realized that's entirely the point. The machines will always fight in the most mechanical, efficient way, stabbing the pilot and moving on. This leaves an intact suit for the humans to recover later on.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

muscles like this? posted:

It was basically them being pissy about people not liking the ending. Because you have stuff like all the Smiths combining together into a giant Smith, which then takes a giant pair of sunglasses off a billboard. And when you beat giant Smith it cuts to Zion with Queen's "We Are the Champions" playing.

If that is the Wachowskis being pissy I don't ever want them not pissy.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I remember when that lawsuit about how the Wachowskis didn't actually write the Matrix came out, I was like "Oh, that makes sense". Because I remember how the Matrix was a great action movie with a really solid and unique story. Then the sequels came out and it was a loving disaster. There's such a stark contrast between them that I figured it must be true. I mean, the sequels might not even really be bad movies, but the problem is just that they are nowhere near as good as the first.

Then again it could just be George Lucas syndrome where they took great advice for the first movie and then took no advice for the last. Or like how some bands put out great debut albums due to having a great producer, and once they're successful they assert creative control and it all turns to poo poo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Clipperton posted:

My problem with Revolutions was that I didn't give a poo poo about Zion or giant robot fights. I would have preferred to see the Smiths taking on the Merovingian, for example.

Stretch this for every scene for both sequels, which did not add anything to a story that had found its natural ending, and for ALL the fighting (the mass of Smith clones fighting Neo in the park, for no apparent reason, and then shrugging and walking away, affecting nothing. defines the nonsense and uselessness of these movies).

Some parts of the Highway scene were pretty to watch though.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Harime Nui posted:

One thing that I always hated in Revolutions was the mecha/power armor design. The cockpit is totally exposed and unprotected, just inviting a sentinel to stab the human inside.

Then I realized that's entirely the point. The machines will always fight in the most mechanical, efficient way, stabbing the pilot and moving on. This leaves an intact suit for the humans to recover later on.

That's super dumb, good job.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

SMG have you seen much anime, and if so what did you think of it and what would you recommend? [This is the only time it's ever been relevant to ask this question but I am also just curious]

The sequels remind me of the new Hobbit films, where all the literal plot is made relatively unimportant in the name of startling images and themes. LOTR went out of its way to make 'real' places, basically trying to actively build an entire simulated world out of Tolkien's books. The Hobbit rigorously questions this philosophy by taking place in a bizarre disconnected mind-world consisting entirely of abstract images devoid of canonical meaning - "those dwarves kill so many goblins, that's just not realistic!" - while it does this partially because Bilbo is an unreliable narrator, it's extending that theme to cinema itself. Perspective is a lie and there is no objective viewpooint. Bilbo and Smaug were purposefully cast by the actors who played Sherlock and Watson, and Smaug says something like 'in another universe, we could have been friends'. It's riffing on larger cultural factors and how they innately deny the Hobbit and its predecessor the freedom to ever really take place in an objective Tolkien-land.

Reloaded and Revolutions both take the plot and themes of the original and question them in similar ways, but a decade earlier. Neo's epic fights, in which he devolves into 'obvious' CGI, can be extrapolated even further to numbers on a screen. Zion and its people use the Matrix and smaller simulations as methods of enhanced communicating. It's dense with ideas and images but not in the way people tend to say it is - the references to philosophy are 'references to philosphy', as a set dressing for the actual story, in much the same way 'LOTR is going to happen soon' is set dressing in The Hobbit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Blue Star posted:

It's kinda funny how quickly the Matrix franchise became completely irrelevant as a cultural icon. The first movie was parodied endlessly for like three years. And the buzz for the sequels was crazy. In the build-up to the release of the sequels, there was so much hype about the Matrix as a franchise and how it was going to be the next Star Wars. Prequels, spin-offs, comics, video games, lunchboxes, the whole works. And then the movies actually came out and...whoosh. Nobody gave a poo poo about the Matrix anymore.

I think it was because the Matrix was such a young franchise it really couldn't weather a bad release. Especially with how immediate the backlash was with Revolutions. Nobody was happy with the way that ended.

Of course the other thing is that the Wachowskis pretty much abandoned the franchise. The only thing Matrix related after the movies was The Path of Neo game and maybe some comic books.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
What about the critically-acclaimed GE advertisements where Hugo Weaving reprises his role as Agent Smith and describes his discovery of intelligent machines that are agents of good

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

Of course the other thing is that the Wachowskis pretty much abandoned the franchise. The only thing Matrix related after the movies was The Path of Neo game and maybe some comic books.

Matrix Online. Which, to be fair, I don't think anyone actually played.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

precision posted:

Matrix Online. Which, to be fair, I don't think anyone actually played.

I looked it up and apparently it ran 4 years. Although it did have issues with the fact that the original developer ditched it fairly quickly and just sold it to SOE.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

zandert33 posted:

I don't care what people say, it should have just been a matrix within a matrix (the "Real" being another false reality created by the machines to trick certain people who got past the first layer).

This is pretty much what happens in the sequels though. At its most basic level, the Matrix is control. It's a vast distraction engineered specifically so that the plugged-in humans don't realise what's going on and start resisting the machines. Zion, the One and freeing minds are another level of control, another pointless distraction that the machines allow to exist because it keeps the system running smoothly. It's another Matrix, and it conveniently works without needing to run a simulation of the year 1999.

I did like that twist, and the highway scene is still great. The rest of the sequels are pretty bad and filled with massively unlikable heroes. I hope I wasn't the only one rooting for Smith by the end.

Something that just popped back into my head: in the Animatrix the machine city is called "Zero One" and it's built more or less exactly where Jerusalem is. Then the world ends. :v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Party Boat posted:

This is pretty much what happens in the sequels though. At its most basic level, the Matrix is control. It's a vast distraction engineered specifically so that the plugged-in humans don't realise what's going on and start resisting the machines. Zion, the One and freeing minds are another level of control, another pointless distraction that the machines allow to exist because it keeps the system running smoothly. It's another Matrix, and it conveniently works without needing to run a simulation of the year 1999.

Huh, that's the same sort of theme as the 9/11 conspiracy episode of South Park. Of course in that case the Matrix is the real part and the Zion et all is a fantasy for people who will reject reality.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Lamprey Cannon posted:

The thing that strikes me as weird about the Matrix, watching it again after many years, was how they built up this whole world in which the indiscriminate murder of random passers-by is perfectly acceptable. Like, they didn't have to make it so the Agents took over people's bodies, but they chose the thing that made mowing down every random security guard and policeman okay, and nobody ever shows the tiniest bit of remorse over it.

The Matrix is essentially a gun ballet/wire-fu flick, I don't know if you can read much into them, just basic power fantasy type stuff. The rebellion element was the only interesting part aside from the action, but it wasn't a rebellion; they didn't give a poo poo about the 99%. No attempt is made ever to show they are doing things to free anyone but themselves. False advertising is what sunk it imho. No one really asked them to reinvent the wheel here.

The agents only attacked the rebels and everyone else lived happily ever after. It's like asking us to root against dead cops, but Neo wasn't Robin Hood.. I don't even know what happened at the end; did Neo negotiate away 99% of humanity to save his 1%? Like why would Smith winning mater? because being a battery is better than death?

Like if humans nuked the world because they lost; it would seem humans have finally won to me, letting virus Smith destroy the machine. Humans can reproduce, but the machine would be gone. But no mechanism is really explained, and its hard to figure out if the battery people matter. I mean Smith kinda killed everyone by copying himself already didn't he? If the Architect in his deal can just fix this; doesn't it call into question the authenticity of consciousness?

Anyways, Star Wars gave its generation several exploding death stars and a dead emperor; our generation got acceptance of subjugation. I think that's why the public rejected the franchise.

Femur fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 14, 2014

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?vide...Name=snoopsagan

I think I have a newfound appreciation for the matrix.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Femur posted:

The Matrix is essentially a gun ballet/wire-fu flick, I don't know if you can read much into them, just basic power fantasy type stuff. The rebellion element was the only interesting part aside from the action, but it wasn't a rebellion; they didn't give a poo poo about the 99%. No attempt is made ever to show they are doing things to free anyone but themselves. False advertising is what sunk it imho. No one really asked them to reinvent the wheel here.

The agents only attacked the rebels and everyone else lived happily ever after. It's like asking us to root against dead cops, but Neo wasn't Robin Hood.. I don't even know what happened at the end; did Neo negotiate away 99% of humanity to save his 1%? Like why would Smith winning mater? because being a battery is better than death?

Like if humans nuked the world because they lost; it would seem humans have finally won to me, letting virus Smith destroy the machine. Humans can reproduce, but the machine would be gone. But no mechanism is really explained, and its hard to figure out if the battery people matter. I mean Smith kinda killed everyone by copying himself already didn't he? If the Architect in his deal can just fix this; doesn't it call into question the authenticity of consciousness?

Anyways, Star Wars gave its generation several exploding death stars and a dead emperor; our generation got acceptance of subjugation. I think that's why the public rejected the franchise.

The original Matrix was, covertly, a time-travel film. That's the easiest way to skip all the horsehit about 'what it reality', and get to the real point.

"The role of the activist should not be to push history in the right direction but instead to disrupt it altogether. Žižek writes, 'this is what a proper political act would be today: not so much to unleash a new movement, as to interrupt the present predominant movement. An act of 'divine violence' would then mean pulling the emergency cord on the train of Historical Progress.' To accomplish this act of revolutionary violence involves a switch of perspective from the present-looking-forward to the future-looking-backward. Instead of trying to influence the future by acting in the present, Žižek argues that we should start from the assumption that the dread catastrophic event -- whether it be sudden climate catastrophe, a "'grey goo' nano-crisis or widespread adoption of cyborg technologies -- has already happened, and then work backwards to figure out what we should have done. 'We have to accept that, at the level of possibilities, our future is doomed, that the catastrophe will take place, that it is our destiny -- and then, against the background of this acceptance, mobilize ourselves to perform the act which will change destiny itself and thereby insert a new possibility into the past.' In other words, only by assuming that the feared event has already happened, can we imagine what actions would need to have been taken to prevent its occurrence. These steps would then be actualized by the present day activist. 'Paradoxically,' he concludes, 'the only way to prevent the disaster is to accept it as inevitable.'"

-Micah White, Notes on the Future of Activism (link)

What's hazy or nonexistent in the film(s) is this notion of changing the virtual past to 'fix' the predestined future. Unlike Terminator 2, you don't see the rebels attacking cybernetics plants or anything of the sort. They just go around in search of 'the one' who will eventually... do... something....

Here's where I propose a re-reading of the end of Matrix 1 - because we're shown two 'impossible' things at the end of that film: Neo's love for Trinity and Agent Smith's incredible hatred for all humanity. You can probably see the issue here already; of the two characters, Smith is the one whose passion is truly universal. He's not just evil but Evil - a diabolical sort of evil that puts him at odds with both humanity and the machines. He's very specifically shown to be behaving aberrantly - not wanting to preserve the status quo, the whole thing disgusts him. He's a dreamer and, pointedly, he has no means of literally 'escaping' into the future. Check his 'virus' speech:

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you humans are not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet."

Do any of the 'good guys' care about the ecology of the planet? Keep in mind that Smith is talking about the virtual planet, with virtual resources, because he lives there. There's no option of unplugging and floating off into heaven, or whatever the gently caress. So yeah, people are quite right that Smith is the good guy of the series. The best way to redeem the end of Matrix 1 is to believe that, when he explodes, Neo is the one who dies. It's Smith who carries on.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Femur posted:

IIRC this is brought up briefly during the conversation with the Architect in Reloaded where Neo says how more people are waking up can't stop this forever you can't wipe us out you need us to live and the Architect hand waves it with "There are levels of survival we are willing to tolerate" implying they'd be willing to do the in-Matrix equivalent of a scorched earth attack like humanity did to the earth itself.

It all comes off as stupid because characters who are functioning at this level shouldn't need an entire third movie to figure out what they decided to do at the end of the third movie.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that the first film is a complete Hero's Journey narrative, leaving Neo nowhere to go.

After that, he's explicitly an arhat, but a lovely one with no imagination who sits around listening to 18th century Philosophy 101 lectures while demonstrating that enlightenment has imparted zero wisdom with which to reply.

Eventually he just gives up and marches to Calvary, not for our sins, but because he can't cut it as a Buddha.

Also, evidently transcending human limitations doesn't count in a special universe coded by a hobo. I like to think that's clever commentary on class issues within the machine society; that hobo is the most competent character in the whole drat series.

Anyhow, the sequels really needed to keep Neo offscreen to preserve his status as someone who has transcended the human level of the conflict and to allow the narrative to explore the way his ascension has transformed his world and its conflicts.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 14, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

Also, evidently transcending human limitations doesn't count in a special universe coded by a hobo. I like to think that's clever commentary on class issues within the machine society; that hobo is the most competent character in the whole drat series.

This seemed natural to me, I mean how could you bring yourself to want to harm Bruce Spence no matter how risky his character's actions? They let him live at the end of Dark City, he gets away in Road Warrior and again as a different character in Thunderdome, he doesn't get killed off in Revenge of the Sith or Clone Wars and even survives Queen of the Damned. They almost messed up with Return of the King but realized their error and deleted his death scene right before the theatrical release.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Femur posted:

The agents taking over people was there so it was easier to other them and root for the good guys, like zombie flicks. I don't get how you can say there was no rebellion, wasn't the whole conflict about giving people the choice of living in the Matrix or Zion?

Battery people are like AI research for us now, some have awareness of the real world but most just do what they're programmed to do. Even the ones with awareness or we think of as smart are pretty lovely, any emergent behaviour is a bug that needs to be squashed. Neo comes along as the singularity and fucks things up(for the 6 time) but instead of resetting things the robots make a deal with him so humans get some rights in the real world and hopefully peace between robots and humans. Neo still had to die though because allegories to Jesus are cool or something.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Do any of the 'good guys' care about the ecology of the planet? Keep in mind that Smith is talking about the virtual planet, with virtual resources, because he lives there. There's no option of unplugging and floating off into heaven, or whatever the gently caress. So yeah, people are quite right that Smith is the good guy of the series. The best way to redeem the end of Matrix 1 is to believe that, when he explodes, Neo is the one who dies. It's Smith who carries on.
I thought Smith was just mad that humans get to have sex.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Martman posted:

I would buy another ticket just to see Hugo Weaving explain this to Neo.

"I am cockblocked for eternity, Mr. Anderson."

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 14, 2014

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
"I feel saturated by it."

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Martman posted:

I followed the rules Mr. Anderson... I paid my dues, I acted in the way the system would define as logical, I took action. However the anomaly of these females and their behavior leads to an outcome that is... unsatisfying.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Wabbit posted:

It's a good day to talk about this, because I think one of the problems with the Matrix sequels is the 9/11 attacks. The Matrix came out in 1999, and features righteous terrorists as the protagonists. There's this whole speech about how any random person can be an agent of the system and must be killed if necessary, etc. The sequels came out in 2003, and there's a different atmosphere around terrorism. Suddenly the plots revolve a lot less around rebellion and bringing the system down, the Merovingian, this kind of sleazy information broker is the antagonist and the movies reconciliation with the robots at the end.

It certainly is interesting to imagine what Matrix sequels that weren't affected by 9/11 would've looked like or what a post 9/11 Matrix would've looked like. The conservative outrage against the Wachowskis if they'd done the lobby scene post 9/11 would've been insane. Thus it is near certain the studio would've cut it.

meristem posted:

I think it's rather funny how "blue pill"/"red pill" became a rallying cry for MRAs. I remember that coming up a lot during the whole Elliot Rodger thing. I'm not really sure that's what the Wachowskis intended.

Reactionaries tend to co-opt the language of revolutionaries, everyone wants to think they're the brave rebels. This does raise the question of how apt the Zion as an extra layer of control metaphor is. The residents of Zion think they're free but are just trapped in a different level of control. MRAs think they've seen passed a layer of controlling illusions in society but have just subjugated themselves patriarchy even more.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hodgepodge posted:

I would buy another ticket just to see Hugo Weaving explain this to Neo.

"I am cockblocked for eternity, Mr. Anderson."

Once Smith entered the real world Neo should have shown him what it was like by having a threesome with Trinity. Why else would they call her that.

Sad Rhino
Aug 23, 2014

Zedd posted:

I followed the rules Mr. Anderson... I paid my dues, I acted in the way the system would define as logical, I took action. However the anomaly of these females and their behavior leads to an outcome that is... unsatisfying.
Smith picked up the phone and woke up in Elliot Rodger's body.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Neo does, undermining the morality of their quest. The battery people are nothing, or they are something, is 7 billion worse than the thousands already carelessly slaughtered? We were never forced to make that nuanced before, the struggle was set up as very black and white. I am sure more have been killed than saved, but maybe that's all Neo.

I don't think Smith had any agency to be a hero, as you said, he was just pure evil, more of a force to me; a force of destruction, that is, man's irrationality. The machines have never solved the problem, and it's finally going to overwhelm it. Neo betrays man, thus the audience.

Woden posted:

The agents taking over people was there so it was easier to other them and root for the good guys, like zombie flicks. I don't get how you can say there was no rebellion, wasn't the whole conflict about giving people the choice of living in the Matrix or Zion?

Battery people are like AI research for us now, some have awareness of the real world but most just do what they're programmed to do. Even the ones with awareness or we think of as smart are pretty lovely, any emergent behaviour is a bug that needs to be squashed. Neo comes along as the singularity and fucks things up(for the 6 time) but instead of resetting things the robots make a deal with him so humans get some rights in the real world and hopefully peace between robots and humans. Neo still had to die though because allegories to Jesus are cool or something.

There was never any rebellion, it was a remainder of a remainder. The conflict is man vs machines. There can be no philosophizing in a gun ballet, it sounds ridiculous; gun ballets are power fantasies about rampaging through 200 people to save a dog. It's very ends based.

What rights in the real world? The machines have always wanted harmony, man is the assholes, and that aspect apparently will always manifest. Is this man's strength or not?

Why does it matter that this Zion live? The next version will have one too. If you cannot bear an existence without the machines, why don't you just go under, instead of a lovely slums.

Yeah, some people just want to be poor and criminals, thanks matrix.

Femur fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 15, 2014

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
One of the things that majorly changed my outlook on the sequels was when I realized just how balls-to-the-walls comic book nutso they are. The first film plays a lot of the weirdness with a fairly straight face, but the sequels completely embrace it, and I kind of dig it for that reason. Case in point: one of my favorite little things is the whole "Huh. Upgrades." bit. There was a lot of outcry over that. I was part of that group until I realized the hilarity of how it's played.

See, in the first film the Agents are completely unassuming. They just look like small, skinny white dudes in suits and sunglasses. For the most part, they look like they could be taken with a light breeze. In the sequel, the upgraded Agents are literally bodybuilders. They're absurdly huge in comparison to the Agents from the first film. They haven't just been "upgraded" in code, but in stature as well.

It's so weird, and cartoony, and offbeat. I mean, how can you be mad at that?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

People often raise the point that the machine's plan doesn't work. Humans don't generate new energy. We're not fuel sources. We might be batteries, but so are actual batteries. Why not store it in those?

It's because, like in many animes, the real source of human potential lies in the boundless power of its ideas, its imagination. We have a potential the machines harness for themselves. Is this a new fuel source, or are the machines simply amusing themselves with us while they wait out the clock on our mutual deaths?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that the first film is a complete Hero's Journey narrative, leaving Neo nowhere to go.

I think this is most likely your answer. When The Matrix came out it hit the public psyche like a ton of bricks. It was matrix everything there for a while, and the wachowskis were going to save hollywood. We got inundated with Matrix everything, and the sequels came out not long after. The ideas weren't incubated thoroughly, and it shows. Almost all of the Matrix mythos is utterly disposable apart from the first movie.

Although it seemed at the time that the sequels did well enough. I didn't start seeing the "Matrix sequels are the absolute worst" nerd hyperbole until much later.

• Locked thread