Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

precision posted:

I thought it was sufficiently weird that Reloaded implies that every age of human existence that we've heard of has just been a refinement of the Matrix. Like, there's no scene in any of the movies where someone says "this place used to be called New York". I appreciated that.

I love this idea, especially combined with "The Second Renaissance" because it leaves one with the idea that humanity really has no idea about it's past at all. It could all be machine propaganda/control. The current residents of Zion have no real past, they've never talked with the architect, they're playing a long game of telephone. It's a reality with no history.

Question: Did the movies ever show us anything about Neo that justified his being "The One"? The only reference I can get is in the first movie, when he's training for hours straight, the operator says "he's like a machine", which is a very odd phrase to use by a human at war with machines.

Also, I really enjoyed the rave scene because it's fun and dynamic and shows the only real difference between Zion and the machine world: dirty sex.

I was really disappointed with Reloaded in the theater, but I've come to really enjoy it. Revolutions is still meh.

Finally, what is being said with Smith able to upload his personality into a real person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Slugworth posted:

I don't think I get your question. The entirety of the trilogy is about him performing feats that nobody else can.

I meant why Morpheus picked him. He's not an inspirational character at all, so it's not that. We see that Neo is good (apparently) at writing matrix-like programs within the matrix - which are illegal.

Was there anything to that?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I assumed that the "redpills" all experienced power boosts as well because of the example of Neo, or perhaps directly because of Neo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Vitamin P posted:

That's a great read on that line. It always seemed too specifically worded to just be about his mad kung fu.

Neo is described as a machine earlier in the film as well.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What was the significance of Sati? She seems important, given the actions of her parents and that she gets to hang out with the Oracle before and after the Smith Apocalypse.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

In the club scene in Revolutions, that's Hell, right? Merv is Hades, his wife is Persophone, Seraph is an angel, and then there's Morpheus and Trinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One of the biggest differences between the original and the sequels is that the original could be seen entirely as an allegory for dissatisfaction with modern life - like an existential feeling that there is something wrong but you're not quite sure what. This struck a chord with me when I first saw it, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

The sequels, on the other hand, are about a messiah trying to save his people. Not very relateable.

• Locked thread