Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

How do jews/christians take in the Mayan and to a lesser extent the Aztec relegions in regards to the "birth of christ"

Serious question.

TLDR: THIS RULES
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472043/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

That really also leads back to the Sumerians. Are they all in hell now because they existed too early?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i like the smug fat bloodthirsty child

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The visuals are still pretty awesome

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Wendigee posted:

That really also leads back to the Sumerians. Are they all in hell now because they existed too early?

they actually have a lot of thoughtful and well-considered answers to these questions that totally aren't the bullshit religious equivalent of retcons

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Some of them think the ones who just never heard of christianity go to heaven as long as they were decent people who would have been capable of accepting jesus, some of them think pretty much everyone goes to heaven, some of them think they need to spend some time in purgatory first, and some of them think that yeah they just all go to hell. Basically,

Benedick Cuckold posted:

they actually have a lot of thoughtful and well-considered answers to these questions that totally aren't the bullshit religious equivalent of retcons

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It is a loving sweet movie! I loving love when he finally clocks that rear end in a top hat upside the head with his club and a jet of blood just squirts out of the rent in his temple before he collapses.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

im the black leopard that conveniently attacks only bad guys

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

Helical Nightmares posted:

The visuals are still pretty awesome

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

It is a loving sweet movie! I loving love when he finally clocks that rear end in a top hat upside the head with his club and a jet of blood just squirts out of the rent in his temple before he collapses.

Bondage
Jun 9, 2008

by Ralp
op you should close this thread before the JIDF gets you

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
according to CCC 637 the righteous were taken out of sheol to heaven at the time of christ's resurrection

according to judaism everyone just dies

and yah cool movie

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

the acting was so so but the spectacle was great

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
i like atlatls

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wendigee posted:

They go to purgatory to hang out with Plato and all the unbaptized babies.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Homeless or Director? You decide.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

The ending made me angry. Mostly because it was historically incorrect.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Desperado Bones posted:

was it worse than the fact that mayans roll their r's even though that doesnt exist in native american languages

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Kyrie eleison posted:

according to CCC 637 the righteous were taken out of sheol to heaven at the time of christ's resurrection

according to judaism everyone just dies

and yah cool movie

That's for people who were already down there before jesus died

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

was it worse than the fact that mayans roll their r's even though that doesnt exist in native american languages

Watching the three caravels reaching the American continent and not some Caribbean island and the green eyed Mayan emperor and the whole LOL I can't tell Mayans from Aztecs all brown people are the same...

Yeah so much wrong.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Desperado Bones posted:

Granted, but I liked the ending because the conflict was interrupted instead of wrapped up in a neat bow. It was different.

Then again, I also enjoyed the Social Network despite the inaccuracies.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Arian_Samurai posted:

They go to purgatory to hang out with Plato and all the unbaptized babies.

no this is not correct. purgatory, which is a catholic belief not held by the eastern orthodox or many protestants, is a temporary experience where you are cleansed of sin prior to entering heaven. the saved go to purgatory prior to entering heaven. the damned go directly to hell.

you are thinking of limbo, the 'outer edge' of hell, which is not an official doctrine of the church, but many theologians have written about it.

Desperado Bones posted:

Watching the three caravels reaching the American continent and not some Caribbean island and the green eyed Mayan emperor and the whole LOL I can't tell Mayans from Aztecs all brown people are the same...

Yeah so much wrong.

it's not meant to be precisely accurate, they only symbolize the coming of the west to that land.

Bondage
Jun 9, 2008

by Ralp
I too am angry that a story that this fiction story didn't follow history fully and that it manipulated history for dramatic effect. I loving hate metaphors

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Smoking Crow posted:

Also the Mayan city itself is a jumble of architectural styles that would never have appeared together IRL.

It's a movie! Who cares!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah so much wrong.

Dude this is mel gibson we're talking about, the same guy who still thinks that jesus was crucified (4:157-158)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Harime Nui posted:

Also the Mayan city itself is a jumble of architectural styles that would never have appeared together IRL.

It's a movie! Who cares!

i watched this movie in a history class so it stood out to me

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Devils Affricate posted:

Dude this is mel gibson we're talking about, the same guy who still thinks that jesus was crucified (4:157-158)

har har

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Kyrie eleison posted:

no this is not correct. purgatory, which is a catholic belief not held by the eastern orthodox or many protestants, is a temporary experience where you are cleansed of sin prior to entering heaven. the saved go to purgatory prior to entering heaven. the damned go directly to hell.

you are thinking of limbo, the 'outer edge' of hell, which is not an official doctrine of the church, but many theologians have written about it.

I can't wait until Christianity gets sold to Disney and all this goofy poo poo gets reset

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

All I know is that there is a juice bar there but they're always out of strawberry-banana.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

Wendigee posted:

Are they all in hell now because they existed too early?

2 Timothy 1:9 posted:

He has saved us and called us to a holy life--not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,

Lots of debate about how that works exactly. Seems like if you tried to be a good person you were probably ok?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Bondage posted:

I too am angry that a story that this fiction story didn't follow history fully and that it manipulated history for dramatic effect. I loving hate metaphors

I forgot I have to be a good brown person and say yes to the gringo's metaphor excuse.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Wendigee posted:

Naw they're in hell because Christianity literally casts some of their kings and gods as satanic forces. :cool:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Only jack chick can get you into heeven

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

tapir traps

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Movie was ridiculous.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The realism was so good it was like being there. I honestly couldn't believe how spot on accurate it was. Now you don't have to go to the jungle to experience it, you can just watch this movie instead.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

its a good movie

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phil Niekro posted:

its a good movie

it's mayan die hard

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
as a student of pre-columbian history i have to say *fartz*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

etalian posted:

it's mayan die hard

this is true, mel even has that fat little poo poo as a stand in for carl winslow

• Locked thread