Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Go for it.

Also, yay you're still alive!

This comes as a surprise to me as well but yes I am indeed alive. I've spent the last year swimming through a river of motor oil and blood and now that I've come out the other side I must make an offering to the car gods in the form of rubber and seafood.

This September 20th McMadCow and I would like to invite you to our garage for a day of driving, bullshitting about cars, and wolfing down crab legs. We're celebrating the one year anniversary of moving into our automotive hack space in Redwood City California with a Rally through the mountains and a seafood lunch. I'm going to be inviting a lot of the automotive goofballs I've met in the last few years of working as a mechanic so it should be a good time. After the success of this year's soon to be annual Hangover Rally on Jan 1st and meeting some really cool AI posters in the area we wanted to extend an invite to anyone here who would like to attend.

We're going to have a morning meet and greet and tune up session starting at 9am and going until Noon. At Noon we will be having a New England style Clam Bake lunch followed by a driver safety meeting. We'll be taking a sixty mile course with several breaks through some of the back roads around Woodside Village just up the road. One of our stops will be Alice's Restaurant a notorious meeting place on the weekends for rich boys and their toys. It's a beautiful collection of roads winding through several of the different open space preserves in the area as well as a quick stretch on the PCH. An itinerary and road map will be provided to all attendees. It is highly suggested that you bring a radio walkie talkie specifically a 22 Channel GMRS style that helps us communicate road hazards and other obstacles.

You may remember this place from this thread.

So if you'd like to come please contact either McMadCow or I through PM or you can shoot us a message at https://www.facebook.com/FenixMotorsport . If you're planning to attend let us know how many cars and how many people you'll have in your group so we can plan accordingly.

Also I decided to take a break from general mechanic work for a while so I can get this place together so expect stories to come of some of our upcoming and ongoing projects.

James Woods fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I live just up the road more or less and drive 84 all the time. gently caress yea.

Ill come in my STi and my neighbor will probably join with his BRZ.

EDIT: Any chance youd make a facebook event? I tend to not be on forums for a week + and its nice to have that in my calender to remind me.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 11, 2014

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Some pictures I've taken on two seperate weekends of a completely average turnout of Alices basically any day of the weekend during daylight

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Ah geez I wish I could come down for this. I used to ride my bike through Woodside and that area daily and ogle all the hot cars.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
If my BOV comes in by then I'm down.

+1 for the gf
+3-4 for additional AI goons not going to VCHC

e: 3rd weekend of the month is always is dead for C&C events!

bowling 4 buttcoins fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 11, 2014

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
drat, looks like a fun time and I'm just down the road in San Jose. Too bad all my cars are old beat up domestics that barely go or stop. :shobon:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
this would have been my cue to get the other half of my new tires but I work saturdays :argh:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

bowling 4 buttcoins posted:

If my BOV comes in by then I'm down.

+1 for the gf
+3-4 for additional AI goons not going to VCHC

e: 3rd weekend of the month is always is dead for C&C events!

What does VCHC have to do with this? Different weekends.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Tremek posted:

That's what I thought. He had me all worried I hosed up the dates.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Tremek posted:

Here I was thinking it was the 20th.

More goons for the goon meat.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I'll be there in the M42 swapped 2002. I'm not going to claim it has a lot of speed on tap or anything, but it eats up hairpins. It'll be interesting to see just how much the tight sections on the mountain bunch up everyone or if the fast cars can still pull away.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Yup our event is this weekend. I'll plan on coming down there next weekend! Anyone who wants to make the drive to Virginia City NV - we have two McLarens, a 1500hp Viper, a 2014 GT3, 3 or 4 458s, it's basically the fastest field we've had in about 20 years since the days of the F40 and Ruf CTR Yellowbirds that attended in the 90s.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Just so everyone knows, here's the FB event posting for Saturday. Hope to see everyone there, it promises to be a great time!

https://www.facebook.com/events/725048800896035/

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
So we're going to be buying the seafood early tomorrow morning so I want to get an accurate head count for the festivities. If you're planning on coming please sign up on the Facebook page or chime in again here if you're coming but still on Friendster. See you guys tomorrow.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Does that 2002 run better now with the ICV hooked up properly?

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Lightbulb Out posted:

It's running like a dream now. I just had it in the hills up in Sonoma the other day and it was a hoot to drive. It just destroys turns and finally has enough oomph to confidently overtake and do the occasional burnout. I'm looking forward to pitting it up against my road E30 tomorrow.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Lightbulb Out posted:

It does. And I just spent the day re-routing my throttle cable after my accelerator pedal spindle slipped its spline. Back up and working better than ever. I have a whole boatload of jobs to do on that car, but it'll be hammering it up the mountain tomorrow.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Was that the green one with the prancing moose sticker parked near the photography center? I loved your anti-theft method :v:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

That's the one! :)

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Pictures from the day! James will be back soon to post videos from the rallye. There were two GoPros on the 2002, so we should have some fun moments.

Lunch at the garage, as well as the clambake, which was amazing.

4 Generations of noses, and their changing orientations!

And with their caretakers.

We'll be back with more info on another meet/rallye in the coming month or two. Thanks to everyone who came out!

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 21, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

shark nose bmw is best bmw :colbert:

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
Wish I could have made it. Looks awesome!

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

FAAAAAAAAACK HOW DID I MISS THIS

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

FAAAAAAAAACK HOW DID I MISS THIS

... are you not in Texas?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Interesting to note how the noses go from slanted forward to sloping backward gradually through each generation.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Das Volk posted:

Interesting to note how the noses go from slanted forward to sloping backward gradually through each generation.

They do. We need to find an E21 and an E36 for the next meet to really see the progress. One of the guys at the garage has an E36 so that's covered, but I haven't known an E21 owner for ~15 years.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Das Volk posted:

... are you not in Texas?

Nahh I live and work in Menlo Park

I should probably swap out to a less obscure name.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Whoa, it was an actual clam bake, I thought that was a joke!

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
Thanks to everyone who came it was a great time. I'm still sorting through the GoPro footage so hopefully I'll be able to edit something together soon. Like McMadCow said we're going to be having another get together next month so keep your eyes peeled here and on our Facebook page for updates. And yes of course it was an actual clam bake. I don't gently caress around when it comes to food.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

James Woods posted:

Thanks to everyone who came it was a great time. I'm still sorting through the GoPro footage so hopefully I'll be able to edit something together soon. Like McMadCow said we're going to be having another get together next month so keep your eyes peeled here and on our Facebook page for updates. And yes of course it was an actual clam bake. I don't gently caress around when it comes to food.

So much crab I came home and passed out from food coma.

Mad I couldn't go on a drive but we did see you guys getting hollered at by rentacops before you left the parking lot.

I'll try to round up the rest of the bay area folk next time and maybe we'll have some out of state visitors.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I should have something other than my glacial truck running by next time, if you guys don't mind having a near-lurker hanging out with all you IRL cool dudes, and don't mind beat up old Chevys. Sounds like it was a good time.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

McMadCow posted:

And with their caretakers.

You goddamn goons.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Comrade Flynn posted:

You goddamn goons.

Pretty much, yeah.

So we're keeping this open to use as a notifier for upcoming events, as well as projects we have going on. It isn't a big one, but I just fabbed a new gear lever and linkage for the 2002. When we swapped in the M42, I used the stock shifter from the 2002, with a cut linkage from the E30 318is the engine and trans came from. It was great for slamming from gear to gear, but it had LOADS of slop, and it was positioned too far from the wheel. I pretty much needed to use my fingertips to get it into 5th.

To start, I bought a new short shifter, and then cut the top off the old one and welded them together for the height I needed.

I had to run a steel dowel up the center to keep it rigid, and I tapped the top and threaded an M10x1.5 bolt down from the top. That relief cut is where I welded them together. I then welded a sleeve over the entire thing, attaching it at the base and right before the threads at the top. I was having some issues with my welds breaking without it, but now it's holding.

Before:

After:

Finally, I took some square tube steel and welded tabs on to both ends to serve as a new linkage- one which attaches to both ends of the shifter and transmission coupler, unlike the stock one which only goes through one side. The reduction in slop is huge, which it needed if I was going to extend the shifter up to steering wheel height.

And there it is in the car! I powdercoated everything gloss black and added a locking ring for my boot. The shift knob is from MPC Motorsport.

Hard to tell from this angle, but it now extends to just shy of mid-steering-wheel height, and I'm in 1st gear there. 5th is all of about 4" to the right of that.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

This thread is pretty old but if you're doing another one sometime I'm totally in.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

^same

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

PREPARE FOR THE WOODSHED!
BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!
If I can get my shitbox back on the ground, I'd also be down for some sort of automotive event.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'll organize something if OP doesn't want to do it again, although it would probably be east/south bay.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'll organize something if OP doesn't want to do it again, although it would probably be east/south bay.

I'd be down. I'm in San Jose. Are beaters allowed? I'd be totally out of place with James Woods' crew.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Raluek posted:

I'd be down. I'm in San Jose. Are beaters allowed? I'd be totally out of place with James Woods' crew.

Oh god yes beaters would be allowed, I'm buying up the Midget on Friday and that's what I would drive.

I have a route in mind, a 60-mile loop up Morgan Territory Road (one-laner up and down the big hill), then Marsh Creek Road (nice two-laner) over to Vasco Road and blast back to Livermore for lunch/dinner. Going up and back down over Morgan Territory could be an Adventure(tm) in beaters with poo poo engines and bad brakes, though.

The next few weeks are going to be loving insane for me, it might be better to just try something in January once people are back from the holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Oh god yes beaters would be allowed, I'm buying up the Midget on Friday and that's what I would drive.

I have a route in mind, a 60-mile loop up Morgan Territory Road (one-laner up and down the big hill), then Marsh Creek Road (nice two-laner) over to Vasco Road and blast back to Livermore for lunch/dinner. Going up and back down over Morgan Territory could be an Adventure(tm) in beaters with poo poo engines and bad brakes, though.

The next few weeks are going to be loving insane for me, it might be better to just try something in January once people are back from the holidays.

Yeah January works for me. The start of a new semester is usually pretty slow, so I'll have more time than I do now.

• Locked thread