Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

jhcain posted:

I've got a 6.4 in a Charger.

And now i'm subscribed. Holy poo poo. DETAILS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Holy poo poo.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
Well, if we fast forward from whenever I last posted, things have progressed. Engine is installed, and this week I fired it up for the first time on Thursday, drove it out to get fuel on Friday, and put about 75 miles on it Saturday. So far, I'm liking it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That is the cleanest engine bay I have ever seen. And that engine is a monster.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That's a great installation and looks perfect for that engine bay

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So perty. Although I have to admit, seeing the engine bay of a Charger without a giant Holly 4 barrel (or a six-pac!) is just.. weird.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Still using the 727 and OD? Or did you have to get a modern transmission?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks ten times better in the engine bay that's for sure. Reliability and power as the bonus, can't go wrong.

Props on trying to be different, but it's hard not to use what works best for what you want.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

You're the loving man, I absolutely love those Chargers, and with that engine? God drat.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

OK, im seriously gonna need more details on how you handled the steering, brakes, and exhaust header locations.

I've heard it's stupidly tight to get a modern hemi in these cars, especially if you want to keep the stuff that makes it enjoyable to drive.

Looks fuckin amazing and I love it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Sound/burnout clip?

How hard is it to get the new age stuff have that old school lumpy cammed idle without burning up cats or pissing off the ecu too much?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bajaha posted:

Sound/burnout clip?

How hard is it to get the new age stuff have that old school lumpy cammed idle without burning up cats or pissing off the ecu too much?

Change the cam, and retune the ECU. Engines haven't really changed that much.

I've got a .66x/.66x, 24x/25x@.050 cam in my late model. Sounds like a loving demon, but it's more drivable than any old-school car with a similar cam. Starts every time, doesn't stumble or hesitate.

Computers loving own.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Change the cam, and retune the ECU. Engines haven't really changed that much.

You can also just fake the lumpy cam idle in the ECU if you don't care/need a high profile cam.

Either way is not particularly good for O2 sensors or cats, but I'm assuming everyone doing this already knows that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The real answer is lol what cats.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fucknag posted:

The real answer is lol what cats.

Absolutely. But that really depends on year/state/emissions requirements to get inspected.

I can make a brand new GM motor do this on a tune. It's just not a good idea when you live somewhere that has inspection/emissions like where I'm at.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Motronic posted:

You can also just fake the lumpy cam idle in the ECU if you don't care/need a high profile cam.

Either way is not particularly good for O2 sensors or cats, but I'm assuming everyone doing this already knows that.

It's kind of like sticking M3 badges on your 328i, or Z/28 badges on your V6 Camaro, though. Anyone who knows what a lumpy idle means is also going to be able to tell you just hosed with the tune, instead of having an actual high-lift/long-duration cam.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

jhcain posted:

Well, if we fast forward from whenever I last posted, things have progressed. Engine is installed, and this week I fired it up for the first time on Thursday, drove it out to get fuel on Friday, and put about 75 miles on it Saturday. So far, I'm liking it.

Life's good, man.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Holy poo poo. I love it.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

Left Ventricle posted:

Still using the 727 and OD? Or did you have to get a modern transmission?

727 and GearVendors overdrive. I had to switch to a small block casing for the 727, but someone deep in the Chrysler organization must have thought "You know, this is our latest V8, but just in case... let's use the same small block bellhousing bolt pattern we've had for 50 years. Just in case..."

The modern auto boxes that mate to this engine have substantially broader cases, and would have required some cutting and welding to the floors of the car, which I wanted to avoid.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

OK, im seriously gonna need more details on how you handled the steering, brakes, and exhaust header locations.

I've heard it's stupidly tight to get a modern hemi in these cars, especially if you want to keep the stuff that makes it enjoyable to drive.

Looks fuckin amazing and I love it.

It fits really well, all in all, compared to the 440 that was in there previously.

I had already, earlier in the year, switched to the RMS AlterKtion front end. That K frame swap makes for a lot more room up front. When I went from the RB to this new motor, I had to cut the engine mount ears off the K frame and weld on new ones from RMS, and then the thing just kind of dropped in there. Mostly. I moved it forward about 3/8", just barely enough to let the variable intake servo to clear the firewall.

The headers are from TTI, and the easiest header install I've ever done - both just passed straight up from underneath, and I bolted them on. Miraculous. They also connected directly to the old exhaust system (also TTI) after I removed the old engine.

Steering shaft passes right through the headers to the steering rack - it's all pretty simple, relatively speaking. Then it was just wiring, plumbing, and more wiring. And then some more wiring.

I'll post more pictures when I get to a decent network connection - up in the mountains for turkey day, and it's sloooooowww up here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

jhcain posted:

727 and GearVendors overdrive. I had to switch to a small block casing for the 727, but someone deep in the Chrysler organization must have thought "You know, this is our latest V8, but just in case... let's use the same small block bellhousing bolt pattern we've had for 50 years. Just in case..."

The modern auto boxes that mate to this engine have substantially broader cases, and would have required some cutting and welding to the floors of the car, which I wanted to avoid.

That is something I really love... anything fits a smallblock mopar pattern. Anything. Except the bigblocks, that is.

318 polysphere? 318 A-block? 318 LA-block? 318 Magnum? All the 360s? The 2.8L 4cyl CRD? Viper v10s? 3.7/4.7? 5.7? yeah, they all fit this pattern too.

Basically only the truck v10s, cummins, and RB block mopars don't fit it. And maybe the slant 6 but I think they do too.

• Locked thread