Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i'm gay put disney dick in my butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xGmx4K81Hc

If frozen had been a rock opera, it might have been more enjoyable.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

this has inspired me to follow a career in gay ice wizardry

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Vargs posted:

this has inspired me to follow a career in gay ice wizardry

What color are your eyes//hair//skin. I will make you a gay ice wizard doll.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Because of this thread I read about Plague Dogs. Holy poo poo.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Well let's see what CD has to say-

K. Waste posted:

See, that's where you're kind of off. True, Elsa doesn't do anything truly radical, like, say, destroying the monarchy and ushering in an anarcho-syndaclist kingdom united with the trolls, but because she's literally a witch whose very touch and essence 'freezes' the symbols of Judeo-Christian dominion, her assumption of the throne and Anna's rejection of 'Prince Charming' (not to mention the old, decrepit Duke) is a tacit rejection of a traditionalist patriarchal paradigm. This is in stark contrast with the usual Disney princess movie formula, where the most the 'strong female protagonist' can hope for is that she eventually sides with the 'truly good' patriarch and learns to see how awesome patriarchy is (see: Tarzan, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, etc.)

The thing is, though, that just because Frozen is somewhat feminist doesn't make it a good movie. It's interesting that you see my definition of feminism as problematic because "it's impossible for any major studio movie to be feminist," because in general you should be actively skeptical of any superficially 'rebellious' or 'subversive' works that result from an "entrenched... patriarchal system." My definition of a feminist work is entirely concerned with politics, not with emotion. The problem with Frozen is that it is absolutely a feminist movie, but in a contemporary sense of commoditized feminism, where the primary concern is the 'self-esteem' of the woman and not the corruption of the paradigms that surround her.

Neither Elsa nor Anna are what I would call 'outwardly identifiable.' I.e. they aren't individuals who undertake tasks in personal defiance of 'the system' (like most male protagonists, who are often even amoralistic, though we sympathize with them because they stand against imperialism or corruption or what-have-you); but, rather, they are 'inwardly identifiable,' motivated by personal feelings of shame or inadequacy or boredom which push them towards personal realization. By emphasizing 'self-esteem' rather than the 'will to power,' Frozen stops being about unique individuals who possess some innate quality that makes them the hero, and instead becomes a vessel that invites the audience to pour its own insecurities and shame and boredom into in order to experience catharsis. You'll also see this sort of thing in this year's Divergent, where Shaine Woodley's character inexplicably decides to join the fascist army and becomes an expert warrior even though she has crippling low self-esteem and too much compassion to be a good fascist. In both cases, the filmmakers specifically construct characters that anybody could inwardly identify with, rather than characters who possess some innate strength or superiority that risks alienating people who desperately need to believe the reason they don't succeed is because of 'oppression' and not their own personal lack of talent. It's feminism without the discipline, in much the same way that right-wingers wax on and on about Christian moral values but rarely actually advocate total divestment from the state or suicidal pacifism. It's feminist in the same way that Marie Antoinette really was quite feminist for her time, but was still a corrupt classist whose head was on the block when the actual revolution came.

This is kind of way I have much more affinity for classic Disney princess films than the Disney Renaissance or even more recent stuff like Frozen. Something like Sleeping Beauty isn't feminist at all, but it actually manages to make a cogent social point that people often ignore was really significant for the time in which it was made. In Sleeping Beauty the implication is that if the drunkard kings and asexual fairies had just let Aurora gallivant in the forests of lust with a strange boy - to actively and outwardly pursue who desires as a young and relatively independent woman - they would not have literally led her into Maleficent's trap. The message of Sleeping Beauty is, "For the love of God, let the girl live a little, would ya?!"

Princess Mononoke is actually awesome because it's feminist in the most subtle way. Irontown is like a romantic vision of the Greek Amazons, except it's informed by none of the underlying misogyny. (There's no point, for instance, in which Ashitaka beds Eboshi because he's just 'such a man.') Miyazaki crafts a story in which the opposing forces are both powerful women (even the wolves are led by a matriarch) and it is never commented upon because it treats this fact as totally legitimate and irrelevant to larger ethical issues, such as ecological exploitation, spirituality and religion, etc. The female characters in Princess Mononoke are outwardly identifiable - they actively want things that have nothing to do with their 'touchy feelies' and pursue them without reservation because they believe it in their souls to be right.

In Frozen nobody actually cares about what the 'right' thing is. People are so consumed with themselves that the end becomes about controlling your own narcissism.

Oh my.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

don't go to CD

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

frozenpeas posted:

Emperor's New Groove owns.

mark dindal is a motherfucking genius

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

The little old man that gets thrown out the window is Piglet's Voice Actor. :kimchi:

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Freakbox posted:

The little old man that gets thrown out the window is Piglet's Voice Actor. :kimchi:

piglet's original voice actor was in twelve angry men.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

before hearing "Let It Go" i was wondering why the gently caress people love that song so much

after hearing it i realized why: it's not so much a "disney musical" kind of song as it is a pop song in a disney musical

also gently caress Frozen for stealing the thunder of Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Freakbox posted:

he's a rebel!

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

TOILETLORD posted:

piglet's original voice actor was in twelve angry men.

Henry Fonda was in 12 Angry Men.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 13, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So was Oscar Madison.

E: or Quincy for the heathens.

E2: and if you want to get really stupid, so was Tony Danza.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Beauty and the Beast is the best Disney movie and Gaston is the greatest villain. My man drinks beer all days, hunts, and bangs French strange on the regular! It doesn't get much better than that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Aristocats is better.

E: So is Whole New World.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 13, 2014

Dec 26, 2012

Corek posted:

Well let's see what CD has to say-