Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

im also watching it, but unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

i dont care about oscar's piss story but i do care about the south african legal system. you might say im... gay.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

he killed reaver steamcamp. she died.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

i want to stand up in the court right now and go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VQhURMLPeQ

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

i wonder if hes kick his little flipper legs around under the table

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

they really should have consulted the toilet lord inhabiting pistorius's bathroom for this part

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

eating doritos while i watch a man's very fate hang in the balance. living in 2014 is loving cool.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Ratjaculation posted:

That jury doesn't reflect the ethnic make up in SA, it should only be 10% whiteys

its not a jury trial

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

m'lady i was afraid that a zulu impi was about to make off with my toilet

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

a creepy colon posted:

Remember when neighbors said they heard a woman scream and Oscars Piss Story was like "he it was me I just scream like Ned Flanders :shobon: "

I hope he gets away w it!!

lol

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

rebar teencamp

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

local girlfriend not so tough after being shot to death on toilet

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

pozcar PHIZtorius

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

its insanely reasonable to sleep with a gun under your pillow and shoot at shadows in your bedroom in a blind panic

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

theyre going to convene for 5 mins tomorrow so she can say two more sentences, hit him with involuntary manslaughter, and then watch him dance around on his flippers to the delight of audiences around the world

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Fetus Tree posted:

Ray Rice got suspended indefinitely, what did this guy get?

hes the president of south africa now

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

drink every time the judge says "toilet" "cubicle" "door" "cricket bat" or mentions his girlish Ned Flanders-like screaming.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Fruity Gordo posted:

How long is this bullshit meant to go for

estimate a reasonable amount of time. add two hours, plus an hour lunch break. then add two more hours and an extra day.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

im pretty sure shes just reading her written opinion from the bench and its probably 150+ pages soooo

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

why are they even giving a verdict on these two unrelated firearms charges?

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

culpable homo-cide

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Prawned posted:

To post seriously for a second, I think she hosed up by not finding him guilty under dolus eventualis. It's not the most popular legal doctrine regarding intention, but it is law and it's not for a single high-court judge to alter or ignore it. In terms of DE you must have known there was a reasonable/likely prospect of the consequences occurring, reconciled with that prospect and acted regardless. He knew there was someone, his chick or a burlgarman, behind the door, he took a gun and fired four shots at the person. He knew shooting through the door would likely (whether or not he MEANT to kill, or who he meant to kill, is irrelevant for this test) kill, and basically chose to do it anyway.

Self-defense is a separate test applied after intention is determined, and is only applicable in certain circumstances. At the very least your life must be in imminent danger and you are limited to applying force equal to that with which you are threatened. Someone having a kak in your bathroom is not threatening your life, even on his own version.

In all likelihood he'll get 5-10 years for culpable homicide, state and defense will appeal, it'll go all the way to the concourt cause they don't have handicap poopers in jail or whatever and it infringes his rights to poop in a big room. Of course, the SCA and CC can also increase his sentence or find him guilty of murder, appealing can go both ways.

thanks for the insight. any idea why they also ruled on what seemed like two entirely unrelated firearms charges? it seems like theres no real reason for them to decide those charges during his murder trial.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Prawned posted:

The legal system allows for joinder of several issues (and rarely, causes of action), civil or criminal, into a single trial if it makes sense for them to be heard together. Mostly to save time and money, also if they might have bearing on each other which the prosecution argued they did (his reckless and generally stupid behaviour with mad gats).

ah, should have known that. i just took the bar here in the US - i didn't realize joinder extended to all claims against a person regardless of whether or not they arise from a single occurrence.

how do you find practicing in south africa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Prawned posted:

poo poo's p good, depends a lot on your area and field. Frustrating that the courts and associated bureaucracy are so slow, it usually takes 1-2 years for a civil matter to go to trial so you can imagine how pissed off the clients are when you send them a bill halfway through.

Thankfully I'm fairly focussed into commercial law and litigation, and I'm the kind of person who can (most nights) still sleep after a trying day.

I'm actually kind of curious about the time-frame and process for american civil litigation, since we all get your tv programs and unsurprisingly they make it seem like the day after a consult you're in court. If a client comes in for a debt collection tomorrow and it becomes opposed, how long does it (generally) take to get into court?

i'm not entirely sure, actually. i just graduated law school this past may and am still looking for a job. all of my internships and clinic experience so far have been transactional stuff, which doesn't help.

the impression i get is that its generally a couple of months, depending on the state and county of course. i could be wrong though.

i have heard federal dockets are insane due to lack of judges.

1-2 years though? good lord.

• Locked thread