Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I've been out of the anime game for about a decade and want to get back into it. I felt like shows I liked had stopped being made and the animation in general was really declining. I want to get into back into anime and was hoping for some suggestions. I feel like the 1980's and early to mid 90's will have what I want. I like a lot of different genres so feel free to suggest just about anything. Also should I watch JoJo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Legend of the Galactic Heroes, full stop.

See you in a month.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Logicblade posted:

See you in a month.

I was already going to watch it actually. Should have mentioned it in my OP.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Patlabor and yes, you should.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

watch gunbuster

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
VOTOMs.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c-HivGcIMw

The most 80's anime.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's Dirty Pair.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

coathat posted:

It's Dirty Pair.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's three years off but gently caress you it carries the spirit of the 80s in its black heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghmzfUwJk4g

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Pierson posted:

It's three years off but gently caress you it carries the spirit of the 80s in its black heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghmzfUwJk4g

Before Japan ran out of non-drab colors and fake blood&gore machines :japan:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thread tag has already answered your question. You wa shock!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
MD Geist

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I ship Loki x Shinji

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
City Hunter

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Bubblegum Crisis.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hokuto no Ken

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Dexie posted:

Bubblegum Crisis.

Another vote for this. The OVA series, not that lovely Bubblegum Crisis 2040 TV series.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

DethMarine21 posted:

Another vote for this. The OVA series, not that lovely Bubblegum Crisis 2040 TV series.

2040 wasn't great, but I thought it had it's moments. They were few and far between, but they were there.

It definitely doesn't compare to the original though, but then again, few anime do.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Well...the BGC OVA lacks an ending and it just sort of stops. That always bugged me a little bit, after the fact.

The TV series got weird, but I vaguely recall it did have some resolution. Don't remember any details (and not sure I want to).

My answer to the initial question is Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket. It's great and you don't need to watch any Gundam beforehand.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone else ever see Madox 01? Random movie I caught as a kid.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Purestrain 80s (get wrekt helicopters) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BARiALL0ToY

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

cheesetriangles posted:

Also should I watch JoJo?
Yes.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

in english

brought to you by

yall have no idea how hype i was to see md geist in super robot wars as a kid and then i found out it's a gundam unit

loving bullshit

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Logicblade posted:

But most of LOGH came out during the 90s...

As for the 80s
TV: City Hunter
OVA: Gundam 0080
Movie: Macross DYRL

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

This reminds me of Snatcher kinda. I know it's prolly nothing like Snatcher, but is it worth a watch? Also how has FotNS aged? And why should I watch Legend of Galactic Heroes?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
80s you say?

OVA: Golgo 13: The Professional, Demon Hunter Yohko, Robot Carnival, Record of Lodoss War, Guyver

TV: Ranma

or, you know what, just watch everything that US Manga Corps ever put out

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
(don't do that, US Manga Corps put out some serious loving garbage)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
How about shoujo? Glass Mask is an absolute classic, but not very popular in the US. There was an anime in '84, but it was only 23 episodes, so if it's not breaking the rules too much you might consider watching the 2005 remake instead which is still extremely "80s Style", but just with higher production values.

Technically the Rose of Versailles anime went into the 80s, too, but I have no idea whether the anime is also good or just the manga.

I feel like there was a bunch of classic shoujo in the 80s but I haven't seen a lot of it so it's not coming to mind, maybe someone else can chime in.

Speaking of stuff from '79, do you like robots? The original Gundam series is another great. The original series had some big animation problems (not to mention being real long), but it later got reworked into three movies and they're a great digest. So try to find them.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is real cool. Well, all the Miyazaki stuff.

edit: Honestly there's a lot of great stuff from '79, You might do well to include that year. For instance, the first Galaxy Express 999 movie. If you like it there's a ton of similar works by the author, Leiji Matsumoto, you may have seen that Daft Punk anime movie thing.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 12, 2014

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
perhaps you've heard of Dragon Ball

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Hey hey! they say Violence Jack loves to do violence

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
The beautiful space princess Lum...

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Galaxy Express 999 is a lot better than Legend of Galactic Heroes...

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
City Hunter

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Touch

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

cheesetriangles posted:

I've been out of the anime game for about a decade and want to get back into it. I felt like shows I liked had stopped being made and the animation in general was really declining. I want to get into back into anime and was hoping for some suggestions. I feel like the 1980's and early to mid 90's will have what I want. I like a lot of different genres so feel free to suggest just about anything. Also should I watch JoJo?

It might work out easier if you said what you liked and what you didn't like first. On the one hand, you like a lot of different genres. On the other hand, shows you liked stopped being made in sufficient quantities about a decade ago such that you mostly lost interest in anime. Generally speaking, the 1980s are "the golden age of SF anime," so I'm going to throw out a guess and say that perhaps one of the genres you want is space opera-y things? That's something for which there used to be lots of but now is somewhat of a rarity. Examples:

Superdimensional Fortress Macross
Captain Harlock: My Youth in Arcadia (which is in line with the Galaxy Express 999 films and the Space Battleship Yamato sequels, such as Be Forever Yamato)
Space Adventure Cobra
Crusher Joe (which dovetails with the Dirty Pair, of which Project E.D.E.N. is generally considered among the best installments)

Rather than list more, I'll wait for some feedback in case I'm totally off-base in my assessment.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

SF is fine with me. My problem with modern anime is the problem a lot of people have with modern anime. The style has definitely changed over time. I'm not prejudiced against everything new however. I hand't seen a lot of anime from the 80's but just felt like from what I had heard of it it would connect with me.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i'm watching 80's anime space runaway ideon

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Davincie posted:

i'm watching 80's anime space runaway ideon

condolences that show sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie