Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Phone cases are retarded, live fast die young and leave a scratched up worn out iphone 2 years later when you're due for an upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

beanieson posted:

Phone cases are retarded, live fast die young and leave a scratched up worn out iphone 2 years later when you're due for an upgrade.
But that affects resale value which always goes towards helping me pay for my new iPhone :negative:

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I have a question 100% unrelated to the iPhone 6/6+...

For some random reason, Siri is being a complete pain in my rear end. I try to use voice-to-text as much as possible when I'm in the car, so I'm used to saying "Send a text message to my wife", and then dictating my text.

Tonight, I tried to do this and Siri said she couldn't find a phone number or email address for my wife. I could ask Siri to read my text messages, and she would say I have a message from <insert wife's actual name here>...but when I asked Siri to send something to my wife, it constantly failed.

I deleted her contact and re-entered all her information as a new contact...as well as deleted the contact association & re-added it (both via Siri and manually).

The first time after asking Siri to send a text to my wife, she would ask me to confirm who my wife was, and then would let me dictate. Then, the next time I asked her to send a text to my wife, she would give me the same bullshit "...can't find a phone number or email address" excuse.

So...I'm at a complete loss for how to fix this. It's not the end of the world...but I was looking forward to being even more hands-free in the car with the iOS "Hey, Siri" feature...

I appreciate any help/advise you have. Google hasn't been much help...but then again I'm not really sure how to give Google a proper query on this anyhow...

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Gold iPhones look tacky as gently caress to me, but if you've got a case on it (like you should), then the gold will probably be hidden and you'll never see it anyway.

Right. I don't know about the 6/6+ yet, but the only way my 5S looks different from a white one in the official case is the ring around the home button.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

beanieson posted:

The first few generations actually looked nice after being worn but id be hesitant without a case nowadays...

Has anyone gone caseless?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 14, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is Glyde generally as reputable as Swappa? Glyde's prices seem to be consistently lower (at least on the 5S's I've been looking at) but their minimal descriptions aren't as helpful as those on Swappa.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tab8715 posted:

The first few generations actually looked nice after being worn but id be hesitant without a case nowadays...

I went caseless with...I think my 4 for like a year and a half. It was perfectly fine until I dropped it the exact same day I upgraded to the 4S and dented the back :shepface:

And then I went caseless with my 4S for a while before accidentally tossing it onto some pavement and busting the back, which was only a $30 replacement job at the Apple Store, but after that I never went caseless again.

Does it look and feel prettier naked? gently caress yeah. But no matter how careful I am most of the time, there's still the possibility of that one freak incident that can gently caress up my phone and I'm not down with that.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

All I use on my iPhones is a Bodyguardz carbon fiber "skin" on the back. I'm not sure how well that will hold up now with the curved edges, though.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

I got a gold 5s at launch and it's never seen a case. It's not at all bad. There are a few minor scratches; the only really noticeable one goes right through the Apple logo on the back.

We'll see how resale value goes. My 6 should be coming on Friday. :)

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Tab8715 posted:

I've owned every iPhone and the last case I had was for the 3G that I stopped using a month in. I've dropped them all a million times and never cracked a screen or back cover. There are dents and scratches on them but I don't care since I've never sold one either. I just pass them down to the kids.

But I always buy AppleCare plus.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Caseless and AppleCare-less since the original iphone. Buying a new phone isn't going to put me on the streets at this point in my life and even if I need to replace it, I've saved more than the cost of a new phone over the years.*

*the 5s was the first generation I skipped and I had to buy a refurb from apple in July for like $250+ to replace it. It was a lock button defect that affected certain ATT phones. There was a recall for it but apparently my serial number not included on the recall. (Such bullshit, but 250 for effectively a new phone isn't too bad)

Yea there are occasional scuffs on my phone after a year of use but even a scuffed caseless phone looks nicer than a phone with the nicest case.

I always end up handing down my phone to someone for free so not really concerned with how it affects resale.

Now that I've said all that, I'm going to break my 6 in a week. Thanks rear end in a top hat.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
First 6+ owner spotted:

Seriously, you guys are in for a treat. It's an unreasonable size that's been mocked incessantly on the other side.

Just a PSA. No :troll:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also can I give my T-Mobile iPhone 5 to my mother to use on Verizon? It's an A1428.

No, it had to have been sold as a Verizon phone to work on Verizon. A Verizon model is 100% unlocked, so it will work on T-Mobile (albeit only HSPA+ for the 5), but not vice-versa.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Suqit posted:

always buy AppleCare plus.

Please do this. This is really the biggest reason I have an iPhone. Being able to stop by an apple store and get a fresh phone is completely worth the price.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Gold iPhones look tacky as gently caress to me, but if you've got a case on it (like you should), then the gold will probably be hidden and you'll never see it anyway.

Or you could get the light pink leather case which is, according to the photos on Apple's site, the same color as the gold backed phone.

At least I hope so. I'm comfortable in my sexuality but not quite enough to be carrying around a pink case.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

lelandjs posted:

Or you could get the light pink leather case which is, according to the photos on Apple's site, the same color as the gold backed phone.

At least I hope so. I'm comfortable in my sexuality but not quite enough to be carrying around a pink case.

Or just get a totally clear (or 80% clear, excepting the sides) case that won't really protect like an otterbox but keeps scratches from the sides and back.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Now some people are saying that the 6 Plus has 2GB of ram while the regular 6 only has 1GB.

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6_plus-6665.php

Which could be especially if it has a better chip with higher thermal specs, that was supposed to be used for something like the next ipad.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I am someone who likes the idea of a launch event or seeing a film on opening night (there's so many screens these days though that the days of waiting in line to see movies are probably over) and I can't abide by the Apple ones. Everyone is just so drat tense and the place where the Apple Store is absolutely does not want us there (rich person's mall).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

DaNzA posted:

Now some people are saying that the 6 Plus has 2GB of ram while the regular 6 only has 1GB.

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6_plus-6665.php

Which could be especially if it has a better chip with higher thermal specs, that was supposed to be used for something like the next ipad.

That page has been up for awhile, but it's just speculation.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

quote:

Also can I give my T-Mobile iPhone 5 to my mother to use on Verizon? It's an A1428.

kitten smoothie posted:

No, it had to have been sold as a Verizon phone to work on Verizon. A Verizon model is 100% unlocked, so it will work on T-Mobile (albeit only HSPA+ for the 5), but not vice-versa.

Sorry I forgot to clarify that my A1428 iPhone is also fully unlocked (bought it this way). Now does it work with Verizon?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I was worried about the 5.5" size screen being too big for the iPhone 6+. Then, I hadn't realized my roommate's Galaxy Note 2's screen is the same size....

....the 6+ is not too big. Fits in my normal jeans, shorts, in my hand, etc, just fine. If anything, makes me more excited.

However, I definitely wouldn't go any larger.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, so far the Space Gray seems the most popular this year, and ironically the iPhone 6 Gold will likely be the easiest to find.

If you want a 6+ on launch day, get in whatever line really early.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, so far the Space Gray seems the most popular this year, and ironically the iPhone 6 Gold will likely be the easiest to find.

(Very)Anecdotally, I find that the people who bought gold 5ses were by and large, people who had held off on getting an iPhone or upgrading from an older one, because the color of their phone is one of the, if not the, leading factor in their phone choice. Simultaneously, people who choose a phone by color first, and probably price second, aren't particularly likely to wake up at 3am to preorder a phone that isn't available in a color that the previous model wasn't available in. Those people all bought gold 5ses and tangerine 5cs, last upgrade cycle.

I've also been hearing a lot of people (Android and iPhone owners, both,) saying they're bothered by the 16-64-128gb storage split, as well, and that they feel Apple is trying to drive them to a higher price point. Which is, of course, exactly what they're trying to do, I just don't think it's because of an evil apple conspiracy to be greedy. (It's amazing the silly poo poo even well-educated professionals will believe.)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

MrYenko posted:

I've also been hearing a lot of people (Android and iPhone owners, both,) saying they're bothered by the 16-64-128gb storage split, as well, and that they feel Apple is trying to drive them to a higher price point. Which is, of course, exactly what they're trying to do, I just don't think it's because of an evil apple conspiracy to be greedy. (It's amazing the silly poo poo even well-educated professionals will believe.)

Curious how that makes sense when the 64 costs what the 32 cost? (Or am I misremembering the costs?)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Dave posted:

Curious how that makes sense when the 64 costs what the 32 cost? (Or am I misremembering the costs?)

These are people that habitually order the lowest-storage(cost) model. I only moved to the 32gb model with the iPhone 5.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I bought a gold 5s because I thought it was pretty. All of my (also female) friends chose the gold for the same reason. We all ordered on the release day at midnight and had to wait because there was a shortage of them.

I don't know a single guy who has a gold iPhone, though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

MrYenko posted:

These are people that habitually order the lowest-storage(cost) model. I only moved to the 32gb model with the iPhone 5.

Oh now I get it. All the price points got upgrades but 16gb.

Regardless a lot of anecdotal statistics going on itt.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The 16-64-128 thing makes a lot of sense to me.

Like, if you buy the 16GB, that's the "cheap" model yet still in the size you want. It's akin to the 5C, I guess. Outside of that, it's the option you get when you don't get lots of apps or local music. When you sign up for Spotify (or use iCloud, Dropbox for most things) use email, Twitter, Facebook, some other apps offhand. Outside of that, you have the 64 with 4x as much storage. That's the one you get when you use your phone "normally" paired with the 128 that you get when you're a lunatic.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

It's completely the other way around here in Singapore. Gold was the first to go when pre-orders on the apple store started. Space grey is the least popular.

Admittedly, the reason most people are getting gold is to flip it to the resellers, who are going to sell it to China.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

the kawaiiest posted:

I bought a gold 5s because I thought it was pretty. All of my (also female) friends chose the gold for the same reason. We all ordered on the release day at midnight and had to wait because there was a shortage of them.

I'm a guy and I bought one. It was really a spur of the moment thing. I woke up at 3am and gold was still an option so I figured why not. No regrets as color isn't super important to me. My wife was jealous though.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

the kawaiiest posted:

My 70+ year old father as of Friday. The store was sold out of everything else and he was like "Meh, whatetever.", it's just a phone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sorry I forgot to clarify that my A1428 iPhone is also fully unlocked (bought it this way). Now does it work with Verizon?

Unless you originally bought it as a Verizon model, no. The CDMA MEID is only put in Verizon's whitelist if you bought it as a Verizon phone.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

kitten smoothie posted:

Unless you originally bought it as a Verizon model, no. The CDMA MEID is only put in Verizon's whitelist if you bought it as a Verizon phone.

That shouldn't be the case, at least for the iPhone 5. It's a LTE device and thus should fall under the open access rules. Then again, so should the Nexus 7 and that was blocked last year.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

fordan posted:

That shouldn't be the case, at least for the iPhone 5. It's a LTE device and thus should fall under the open access rules. Then again, so should the Nexus 7 and that was blocked last year.

But Verizon doesn't have VoLTE completely deployed yet so it still needs CDMA access for voice at a minimum. My mom and sister have Verizon and when they were in town two weeks ago I saw their iPhones fall back to 3G several times for data, even in my dense urban neighborhood.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Man, I hope someone gets their iPhone early and posts a 6 hour YouTube video about it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

fordan posted:

Open access only applies to LTE. They don't have to let you onto their CDMA network, meaning zero voice service and 3G.

At any rate, an A1428 iPhone 5 can't see LTE band 13, which is the only band of any of them that's subject to the open access. Of Verizon bands, it only pulls in band 4, which is what they use for AWS LTE "XLTE."

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 14, 2014

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Three Olives posted:

But Verizon doesn't have VoLTE completely deployed yet so it still needs CDMA access for voice at a minimum. My mom and sister have Verizon and when they were in town two weeks ago I saw their iPhones fall back to 3G several times for data, even in my dense urban neighborhood.

You're assuming they'll block access to CDMA and only allow access to LTE. I believe Verizon doesn't block CDMA if you have LTE, and I'm pretty sure Verizon moved the CDMA information to the SIM card as well. People who bought the Verizon unapproved Nexus 7 last year could pop a working SIM from another device into it and it just worked, including falling back to 3G from what I read.

kitten smoothie posted:

Open access only applies to LTE. They don't have to let you onto their CDMA network, meaning zero voice service and 3G.

At any rate, an A1428 iPhone 5 can't see LTE band 13, which is the only band of any of them that's subject to the open access. Of Verizon bands, it only pulls in band 4, which is what they use for AWS LTE "XLTE."

The wrong model iPhone with it lacking the Verizon bands is a bigger deal though.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
AT&T is buying back the iphone 4 for $200 which is awesome considering the 4 is pretty outdated. I have a verizon iphone 4, what are the odds they'll let me trade that in?

E: I also have my 5 to trade, but is rather sell it outright since they probably won't give me as much as I could sell it for.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
A Verizon iPhone 4 won't even work on AT&T's network, so, ya know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

beanieson posted:

AT&T is buying back the iphone 4 for $200 which is awesome considering the 4 is pretty outdated. I have a verizon iphone 4, what are the odds they'll let me trade that in?

E: I also have my 5 to trade, but is rather sell it outright since they probably won't give me as much as I could sell it for.

It just says iPhone 4, doesn't say AT&T iPhone 4, since it only applies if you sign a 2 year contract or get Next I assume they will take any iPhone 4 to keep get you to sign a contract just the same.

I did this on Friday with my iPhone 4 because my dad was buying a 5S, super easy no hassle (besides the hard sell to spend it right then on overpriced accessories). Keep in my the $200 can only spent with AT&T but you can pay your phone bill with it which is what I did with plenty of money left over.