Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wheez the roux posted:

Unleash Johnny Football

He's supposedly only playing if Hoyer gets hurt.

So...after their bye probably like everyone was expecting anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Kawalimus posted:

Defense is total garbage.

Shut up. If the Raiders played a single game like the Ravens just played I'd loving cry

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I'm pretty sure when the Norse Vikings wrote of legend, of Thor and Gods, this is the manifestation of their vision of what it actually must have been like.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Probably Magic posted:

So, does this mean the Browns are really bad?

Its now basketball season in Cleveland!!!!

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Man, sports science is getting desperate.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

Defense is total garbage.

It wasn't great but I wouldn't say that. The defense played well enough that Chykie Brown starting still held the Steelers to 0 touchdowns. The frustrating part is they'd instantly be worlds better if Pees wouldn't scheme Mattison-esque poo poo. The secondary can give up big plays with Webb out and FS play isn't good at all. They have a great front 7 and should be generating more pressure to give the secondary some help, at least until Will Hill can play afer week 6.

Offense looked great and Pierce and Forsett might ending up being a decent 1-2 punch. I just wish they'd go deep more often. Joe did pretty great even if he didn't throw for many yards at all.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just want one year of the Steelers at 5-11 in the basement. One year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
2003 was close. But just invent a time machine and go back to the 60s. Sure you won't have a team or it'll be bad at the end of the end of the decade, but the Steelers were terrible.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Grittybeard posted:

2003 was close. But just invent a time machine and go back to the 60s. Sure you won't have a team or it'll be bad at the end of the end of the decade, but the Steelers were terrible.
Yeah pre-70s the Steelers were awful, they were also kind of lovely in the 80s but then again everything was lovely in Pittsburgh during the 80s.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah pre-70s the Steelers were awful, they were also kind of lovely in the 80s but then again everything was lovely in Pittsburgh during the 80s.

Oh poo poo 30 years ago huh?

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
The Steelers have probably been one of the most consistent franchises since the 1970 merger. They barely know what how low the bar can get compared to other teams.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eifert Posting posted:

30 years ago was the 80s, or the last time KC mattered in any sport other than the MLS :negative:

e: Oops missed that he said the Steelers were kind of crap in the 80s. I guess they were.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Eifert Posting posted:

I just want one year of the Steelers at 5-11 in the basement. One year.
Not with the browns in the division.

I don't think theres 12 wins between Pittsburgh and clevenad this year, though, so we'll see.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

My fave useless stat is that the Ravens under Harbaugh are 2-0 vs the Steelers on September 11th

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
I loving hate Thursday games

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
I can't watch any games this year because I work in a kitchen on game nights but I'm happy we won!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Blackula69 posted:

I loving hate Thursday games

Road thursday night games are the worst. From what I hear with travel and all teams barely have any time to prepare.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah I know that you can really be sympathetic, I mean hell I've only been living for 22 years so I haven't really tasted failure with the Steelers. It was the Pirates who did that for me.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Well

I hope so because the Ravens play them next week

Why the hell did the NFL schedule 3 division games in a row to open the season for the Ravens?

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

axeil posted:

Why the hell did the NFL schedule 3 division games in a row to open the season for the Ravens?

Conspiracy against the Ravens, clearly. First they have this weird schedule, then they frame Ray Rice...what is going on!!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

axeil posted:

I don't know I just wish they were all road games. Two home games to start sucks. Cause that means that down the stretch you will be playing on the road a lot.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Kawalimus posted:

I don't know I just wish they were all road games. Two home games to start sucks. Cause that means that down the stretch you will be playing on the road a lot.

Three of your last five are at home

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
But if they take advantage of the early home games, other teams will be playing catch-up...

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Three of your last five are at home

Six of our next 9 are on the road.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Conspiracy against the Ravens, clearly. First they have this weird schedule, then they frame Ray Rice...what is going on!!

The Enemies of Baltimore Athletics strike again.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Kawalimus posted:

Six of our next 9 are on the road.

Okay, but that's not down the stretch

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

football fuckerman posted:

But if they take advantage of the early home games, other teams will be playing catch-up...

Yeah but in football that doesn't mean much cause it's just two games. It's not like the Orioles and how they're 10 games up on the division. With two home games there's a lot of pressure to win both. With two road games if you go 1-1 it's a pretty decent start. I would take two road games every single year if you gave me the option.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Okay, but that's not down the stretch

There won't be a stretch if we lose it so it basically is the stretch. We can't afford to suck on the road this year. And do we have a good enough team to do that? I'm not so sure.

Also we don't have two consecutive home games for the rest of the year. 3 of the last 5 might be at home but none are consecutive. And it's only 3 of 6 if you include one more game. It's not a great setup for us.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 12, 2014

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Kawalimus straight up kawalimusing up in this thread. Have to admit I've kinda missed it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jerome Agricola posted:

Kawalimus straight up kawalimusing up in this thread. Have to admit I've kinda missed it.

He said they would lose the game during the second quarter. If I recall correctly the score was 10-3 Ravens at the time. :jerkbag:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Does home vs away actually matter? Outside of Seattle, of course.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Chichevache posted:

He said they would lose the game during the second quarter. If I recall correctly the score was 10-3 Ravens at the time. :jerkbag:

I always do this sort of thing in game threads cause I mostly just post whatever comes to my head and don't bother filtering it. I wouldn't enjoy posting in GDTs otherwise.

But we weren't really looking great at the time, and Leveon Bell was running all over us. For a while it felt like the Steelers were getting big chunks of yardage whenever they want. But they cooled off fiercely in the second half.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Atticus Finch posted:

The Ravens are a much better home team historically in the regular season.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

So this is interesting.

@PFF_Pete
Steve Smith forced 8 missed tackles on his receptions vs PIT, a single-game record in the @PFF era (since 2007).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Atticus Finch posted:

Statistically home teams do have a measurable advantage over away teams. I forgot what the historical percentage is, but I think they win 55% of the time on average. One of the stats guys can correct me.

Edit

Also the whole advantage of spending the week sleeping in your own bed, enjoying your normal rituals, and being around your family.

VVVVV
Speak of the devil.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 12, 2014

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Home teams wins just over 57% of the time since 2000.

Here's everyone home and away:

Also, notice how bad the Ravens are on the road compared to home.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Barnwell also did a Home v Away point differential.

http://grantland.com/features/bill-barnwell-best-home-field-advantages/

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Seriously though I'm not that mad about last night's loss. The team looked tired and the score would've looked a lot better if they'd finished off those two drives. Gilbert was a huge goddamn liability lined up against Doom but I don't think that's as easy a win for Baltimore if it happens on a Sunday.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Cleveland's going to beat Baltimore, ya'll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Oh man, I feel bad for the Browns, Lions, Raiders, and Bills season ticket holders.

• Locked thread