Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

mishaq posted:

lol if you live in a municipality that doesn't collect enough tax revenue to fund basic poo poo just lol

also lol if your local libraries aren't literally awesome free public computer labs in tyool 2014

okay, so basically "gently caress poor people". radicla, bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

duTrieux. posted:

rule 36

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

duTrieux. posted:

also a lot of poors are unbanked and use greendot/preload able debit cards and check cashing instead of debit cards since the us hates poor people

chip+pin/signature chat is not relevant to the unbanked poor

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
lol just lol if you live in a place where some transitory bullshit for children and idiots like "chip and signature" exists. sorry that you cannot remember 4 numbers much in the same way you already know them for your ATM card

Vincent K. McMahon
Sep 13, 2014

by Ralp

Millstone posted:

lol just lol if you live in a place where some transitory bullshit for children and idiots like "chip and signature" exists. sorry that you cannot remember 4 numbers much in the same way you already know them for your ATM card

you have different cards for the ATM vs paying for stuff in store? and different pins? lol

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Vincent K. McMahon posted:

you have different cards for the ATM vs paying for stuff in store? and different pins? lol

my bank card is separate from my credit cards (different network). they're starting to combine them though, some banks

the pins can be whatever I want

Vincent K. McMahon
Sep 13, 2014

by Ralp

Millstone posted:

my bank card is separate from my credit cards (different network). they're starting to combine them though, some banks

the pins can be whatever I want

oh right credit card, I thought you meant you had a debit card that somehow didn't function in an ATM

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mishaq how many times have you said "lol if"

serioisly its in the billions.

also whats the bad on PINs?

basically bitcoins are looking better by the day

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
thanks everyone for extolling the virtues of modern cards + gently caress the haters / idiot check havers

rotor give us all some sweet gang tags but someone else design it cos i cbf

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

wish my card didn't have this bitch rear end magstripe on it. i want that chip only hotness

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

bobbilljim posted:

thanks everyone for extolling the virtues of modern cards + gently caress the haters / idiot check havers

bobbilljim posted:

wish my card didn't have this bitch rear end magstripe on it. i want that chip only hotness

god bless you

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

mishaq how many times have you said "lol if"

serioisly its in the billions.

lol if you read my posts

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

also whats the bad on PINs?

there's nothing wrong with chip+pin really, the reason why the us is doing chip+signature instead is to lessen the complication of transition

a lot of the payment terminals have the facilities to handle chip cards, but if the US were to move to chip+pin, additional infrastructure would be needed to facilitate changing the offline PIN for offline transactions, which is baked into the chip.

also the difference between a PIN based transaction and a signature based transaction with a debit card in the US separates whether or not it's going over an interbank network like an ATM transaction vs a MasterCard/visa transaction

tl;dr chip+pin wouldn't work in the us so chip+signature is good enough

also the US isn't/won't be the only chip+signature country

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

what's even better is banks have taken even longer to agree on how to do EMV on ATMs in the US so we'll be in magstripe with that poo poo even longer than credit/debit cards (but not forever, they finally agreed recently)

literal problems the rest of the world has solved and already competed the transitions for 2-15 years ago.

Vincent K. McMahon
Sep 13, 2014

by Ralp

bobbilljim posted:

:effort:

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

mishaq posted:

but if the US were to move to chip+pin, additional infrastructure would be needed to facilitate changing the offline PIN for offline transactions, which is baked into the chip.
it actually ain't that much, every online transaction can run a script that can set the card's PIN, it's how barclay lets you set it online. but then again, convincing america to "use your old PIN one last time to get your card to update to the new PIN" would be basically rocket surgery, given the composition of this thread

quote:

also the difference between a PIN based transaction and a signature based transaction with a debit card in the US separates whether or not it's going over an interbank network like an ATM transaction vs a MasterCard/visa transaction
they actually really hosed this up by introducing the "US DEBIT" application which is basically a huge hacky bullshit to let the merchant pick which interbank network the debit transaction goes to. "VISA DEBIT" app erryday

quote:

EMVigliantes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
all money should be in the form of anonymous disposable loadable debit cards

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it seems like a smart idea to have like 25k spread over 25 pre paid credit cards paied for with cash. like in your cars boot and your safe at home. at the very least

sometimes the man will come for you and you won't have time to prepare then. hit the kill button on yoru estate and get out of there

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Shaggar posted:

I had to write a check when I lost my card for a week and the cashier said he can print the check for me, all I have to do is sign. it ended up almost being faster than a card since u just sign and hand it over, but all the old people who normally write checks don't trust it so they still take 10 years to write it out.

exactly how much personal info did you give away then.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
u sign the check then it goes thru a lil machine thing then pops back out and they hand u the check back as a receipt

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ive used checks to pay for groceries without having the cash many a time in college mein friends. if you cant use a lil fraud to get by b.c some fancy electreonics, well, i dont want nething 2 do w/ it.

ever buy cigarettes and a 40 with a bogus check? its a good feeling. drinking that 40 and smoking knowing that its hells of free. well, more like a loan. you know theyre not gonna empty that till until way later,m and prolly cash the che k tomottow., like 40 hours of intertest free loan on the 40 and cigarettes

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bisty Q. posted:

it actually ain't that much, every online transaction can run a script that can set the card's PIN, it's how barclay lets you set it online. but then again, convincing america to "use your old PIN one last time to get your card to update to the new PIN" would be basically rocket surgery, given the composition of this thread

didn't know that you could do that online like that, but that's cool/simple but you're exactly right americans would be too stupid to figure this out without blowing up the phones of their bank with PIN change issues

quote:

they actually really hosed this up by introducing the "US DEBIT" application which is basically a huge hacky bullshit to let the merchant pick which interbank network the debit transaction goes to. "VISA DEBIT" app erryday

this is probably due to the federal reserve rules to cap debit card transaction fees. what's stupid is the push of all us banks to train consumers to use all their debit cards as visa/mastercards when we could have continued using EFTPOS

quote:

EMVigliantes
rotor please do the needful

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I want a chip and piss payment method where i present a chip to the retailer and then just piss. everywhere.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
now that steve/apple has invented NFC and chip & pin, will america finally have the payment method it needs?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

when can we have randomly generated site specific cc numbers, like app specific passwords. so if one site is owned (ebay maybe) u just nuke that number. i want this

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bobbilljim posted:

when can we have randomly generated site specific cc numbers, like app specific passwords. so if one site is owned (ebay maybe) u just nuke that number. i want this

someone already did this but i forgot the company

that's effectively how apple pay works though

Vincent K. McMahon posted:

oh right credit card, I thought you meant you had a debit card that somehow didn't function in an ATM

my credit union does this but i haven't got a new debit card in like 4 years so it may have been updated by then

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

using  pay itt

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

bobbilljim posted:

bank of america already has this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no nz bank
does

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

in fact in like 2004 there was a massive campaign to promote electronic funds transfer at the point of sale technology

Idk wtf you're talking about

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
America "too stupid" for chip and pin

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Pissflaps posted:

Idk wtf you're talking about

heh

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Is it a way of sending your bar tips back to wallaballa creek or something?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
dingocoin

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

i realize I'm quotin pissflaps here but...

America is literally a corporate distopia, Bank of America, chase, citi, literally everyone will pay every senator a million dollars to silently pass a law that makes consumers liable for all for fraud like 2 months after they promise that chip and pin will change nothing

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Thanks for condescending to quote me you loving nobody.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Your welcome

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Pissflaps posted:

also too fat to press little buttons (this is why we need bigger phones)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the samsung phonrs come with a Special Dialing Wand now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

all money should be in the form of anonymous disposable loadable debit cards

i agree, being anonymous is the best possible solution to this. tell me friend, have you heard of a new payment system called "Bitcoin"? it is truly anonymous and furthermore

• Locked thread