Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

winrar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Winamp, Mirc and paint.exe every day. I also use Aseprite which just hit 1.0 after being in development since 2001 apparently.

Oh and if any of the 20+ year old code in Win7 counts then that.

Edit: oh poo poo! And RPGMaker 2003!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

ZSNES various versions, YY-CHR for pixel editing. I've got an old Windows 3.1 laptop around here with Entertainment Pack Four on it for all those times I want to go back and play Chip's Challenge.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shoehead posted:

Edit: oh poo poo! And RPGMaker 2003!

you should check out RPG Maker VX Ace. it is better in every way, with the exception of side view combat

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rutibex posted:

you should check out RPG Maker VX Ace. it is better in every way, with the exception of side view combat

I bought it when it was a dollar in the humble bundle. I've been thinking of making a bunch of those pick and mix parts. I just kinda never gave up on 2k3

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Freakbox posted:

Winamp

The game Catz 5.....:ohdear: I recently installed it on my computer again after finding the dusty CD.

I like the kitties, damnit, and it was the first thing I ever modded (I made custom species).

I also installed Troggle Trouble Math for my niece, and she loves it. :3:

Dogz > Catz

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
has anyone said lotus notes yet

because gently caress lotus notes

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Until not so long ago old versions of photoshop (before they bloated the program up to something nobody can use) but then I switched to gimp because it's basically like old photoshop just faster

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Freakbox posted:

The game Catz 5.....:ohdear: I recently installed it on my computer again after finding the dusty CD.

I like the kitties, damnit, and it was the first thing I ever modded (I made custom species).

when i made the op i was genuinely hoping someone would post catz or dogz

i used to love that "game" and i think i tried to insall it a couple years ago but couldn't find it or something

truly the spirit of the thread

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
paint shop pro v.7

I can open the program, load, resize, crop and save as .xxx before Photoshop CS5 is done loading its opening credits.*

*on a non-SSD machine.

<edit>Holy poo poo, beaten like an NFL wife/kid. Multiple times.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 13, 2014

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I still use SimpleText to make Steven Hawking say "butt" and "poop".

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
I still use Just Basic. I think I have some of the Corel program discs someplace too. At least I don't use UMAX scanning software anymore.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 253 days!)

It used to be ArjFolder, ICEOWS- but then I got used to how lovely 7zips' GUI was.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Hayburner posted:

i love Winamp

same OP

I use it everyday

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Xaris posted:

:hfive: I used to use PSP4/56/7. My dad even pirated it for me :3: I loved how light-weight it was. I just do paint.net now but I wish there was some light-weight intermediate between paint and photoshop.

I really like autodesk's sketchbook pro. It supports layers and is very easy to use. There is a free tablet version that is pretty sweet. I am sure stuff like Coral is pretty similar to it but I like it.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 14, 2014

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Rambling Robot posted:

Indeed, I have to ask - does anyone still use Realplayer?

My Spanish professor insists on using both the new and old versions of Myspanishlab for homework, and my computer doesn't 100% pass requirements for the old version since I don't have Realplayer installed. The download link for Realplayer that Pearson provides doesn't even work since Realplayer is some kind of dumb cloud media player now. It hasn't been an issue so far since there's been no audio in the assignments, so I'm hoping I won't have to download Realplayer ever.

I have to put Don Miguel's version of RM2K on this computer for the sake of completion, as I've had it on every computer of mine since my Win98 machine. And then I have to make a crappy RPG to celebrate having it on this computer as part of the tradition.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Notepad, or sometimes Xnews for usenet

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Scorched Earth

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mulatto Butts posted:

has anyone said lotus notes yet

because gently caress lotus notes

I think I read somewhere that General Motors still uses lotus notes as their company email software. I believe it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Leroy Dennui posted:

I have to put Don Miguel's version of RM2K on this computer for the sake of completion, as I've had it on every computer of mine since my Win98 machine. And then I have to make a crappy RPG to celebrate having it on this computer as part of the tradition.

http://rpgmaker2000.narod.ru/oldnews5.htm
:)

Don Miguel posted:

9.10.2000: I'd watched my fav anime DiGi Charat but... suddenly...

Guess what!!!!? Not long time ago I got 500000th guest on my page - Rutibex. Check his friend's site also! It'll cheer up his friends! 8-)

And.. do not bash me for a new main page's layout... LOL... I'll change it soon.

TNTz did 3 new natonal fonts for RM2k: Swedish, Portuguese, and a new version of the french RM2000 8.fon. Indeed, there was a little error in the old file. Oh a little precision : there's no translation for the swedish readme.

Ohh My God!!!! Drakul did Exellent Update at his site... GO THERE NOW!!!! (It opens into new window).

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

proof of concept posted:

I think I read somewhere that General Motors still uses lotus notes as their company email software. I believe it.

they're not the only multinational industrialists who still use lotus notes

i want to go back in time and strangle the jackass salesman that sold us our contract

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

My wife uses Procomm plus on a daily basis to download logs from building temperature sensors that are attached to telephone lines via USRobotics modems.

Oh also just for fun:
(taken a few years ago)

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Xaris posted:

:hfive: I used to use PSP4/56/7. My dad even pirated it for me :3: I loved how light-weight it was. I just do paint.net now but I wish there was some light-weight intermediate between paint and photoshop. its funny that even 20 years later, most image software takes forever to load for just opening a picture to edit.

Photoshop CC takes literally 3 seconds to open, and I don't even have a fast computer.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Still use Winamp. It's just about perfect.

Also this program to put my screen's brightness at a reasonable level and this one to block the Windows Key and alt+f4 combo while playing games fullscreen

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Oh yeah, Adobe offers the CS 2 versions of all their programs on their site. You need to set up an adobe ID to get them though. Here is a link with all the info: http://petapixel.com/2013/01/07/adobe-may-be-offering-a-free-and-legal-download-of-creative-suite-2/

It's supposed to be for people who already own CS2 but had some support issues. I suggest it the whole time to people I'm training who want to learn image and video editing. There is some great stuff there though. Audition, Illustrator and Photoshop are still decent.

If this is some kind of :filez: please let me know. But the software is freely available.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
somethingawful

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I've always been a BitchX man, myself.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Many of the people in the Opera thread still use Opera 12.17 because the newer ones (development is currently on Opera 25) are basically just a weird cutting-edge version of Chromium with many problems and old features missing. It's getting technically better, at least, while Opera 12.17 is surely handling things (HTML5, etc.) worse and worse over time. Heck, some :spergin: still use Opera 12.14 with a known security hole because of some cookie and rendering bugs, compatibility problems, and crashes which became instituted after that.

WinRAR, of course, but actually it's still in development. In fact, they released a new algorithm like last year (RAR5, same file extension but not at all backwards compatible). It's definitely a niche one with an unclear purpose (and the dictionary size feature can make it unusable on RAM-limited computers if you crank it up), but there you go. I noticed foobar2000's new beta changelog mentioned supporting it (looks like they switched to the official, newest library that they oddly were not using before).

vyst posted:

Dogz > Catz
Oddballz > everythingz

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

proof of concept posted:

The appliance company I used to work for used lotus notes 6.5 (released 2004) until their win 7 upgrade back in April of this year.

All email archives were, of course, stored locally on each users machine with no backups performed or available from the domino server. Including financial and legal emails that were supposed to be kept for 7+ years.. These archives regularly hit 30 gb in size despite corrupting super easily when over 2gb.

"What do you mean my email is gone?" was by far the most asked question I got.

gently caress lotus notes.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

utorrent 2.2.1 :effort:

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Dis posted:

I've always been a BitchX man, myself.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Great Beer posted:

The appliance company I used to work for used lotus notes 6.5 (released 2004) until their win 7 upgrade back in April of this year.

All email archives were, of course, stored locally on each users machine with no backups performed or available from the domino server. Including financial and legal emails that were supposed to be kept for 7+ years.. These archives regularly hit 30 gb in size despite corrupting super easily when over 2gb.

I hope they switched. we patched it up to work on our win 7 machines after our migration late last year and I don't want to imagine others suffering like this

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

JnnyThndrs posted:

paint shop pro v.7

I can open the program, load, resize, crop and save as .xxx before Photoshop CS5 is done loading its opening credits.*

*on a non-SSD machine.

<edit>Holy poo poo, beaten like an NFL wife/kid. Multiple times.

I thought I was the only one. It's old as gently caress but it loads fast, is entirely free of any bullshit, supports a shitload of image formats, and the batch file conversion utility is pretty cool sometimes. I still use it to manage JPEG exports from Lightroom just because I like how simple and fast it is to do quick tweaks.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

Vargs posted:

oh man i would have never remembered this game if you didnt bring it up. my sister used to be obsessed with it. next time she's in town ill see if i can secretly install it on her computer, assuming i can even find a place to nab it

I can't necessarily tell you where to get it, but you can probably get it there. You can also buy it for about a dollar on Amazon, lightly used. It still works just fine on my laptop, which dualboots Windows 7 and Ubuntu. :3:

Let's download old games and applications and see if they still work!!!

((not :filez: as far as I know? It's all Abandonware.))

http://www.abandonia.com/
http://www.myabandonware.com/
http://www.gameswin.org/

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 14, 2014

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I use this every single day.

quote:

Initial release 1968; 46 years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CICS

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Windows Explorer

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

gggiiimmmppp posted:

utorrent 2.2.1 :effort:

good because its gotten worse and worse

tho you should maybe try Tixati

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Great Beer posted:

Ah, Lotus Notes. Basically if any company has a contract with an IBM subsidiary, partner or franchise (GBM), they'll get pressured to use the Lotus suite, including Sametime, Notes and many other programs that stylistically resemble a Windows 3.1 application.

Guess what email suite the bank uses...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Concordance :emo:

• Locked thread