Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Greed is eternal posted:

Now how do I extend the zeta function to s<0?

\zeta(-1)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty n^{1} = 1+2+3+...=1/12

\zeta(s) = 2^s \pi^{s-1} \sin \left(\dfrac{\pi s}2\right) \Gamma(1-s) \zeta(1-s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

\zeta(s) = 2^s \pi^{s-1} \sin \left(\dfrac{\pi s}2\right) \Gamma(1-s) \zeta(1-s)

thanks dude!!11

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that seems a bit over the top doesn't it? like when you're doing maths to that level, its a bit like, poo poo, what am i doing with my life?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

echinopsis posted:

that seems a bit over the top doesn't it? like when you're doing maths to that level, its a bit like, poo poo, what am i doing with my life?

math, would be the answer to that question, i would think

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
um looks like there is moer than one math ni that equation buddy

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
hmm, like "math" but plural, eh?

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
favorite function: y=sin(x^-1)

graph that poo poo and have your mind blown

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i'm posting on a treadmill and hoping you take off eh

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Bloody posted:

i think u mean phoenix

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

sarehu posted:

x^0 is always 1 when the 0 is in N, but not when the 0 is in R.

what are N and R i have only heard of x!!! what is this bullshit.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Tin Gang posted:

favorite function: y=sin(x^-1)

graph that poo poo and have your mind blown

I`m looking at this HOT non analytic function in her bra and panties and I`m hard as heck! But is this a sin?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Broken Machine posted:

I don't believe that counting is really that critical to problem solving. You have to know how to phrase a problem, and how to solve for a value manually, but developing a numeric solution is something that computers are much better at than humans. If you actually end up needing to add complex fractions by hand on a regular basis, you'll learn. I don't know how much value there is in teaching kids their times tables by rote these days. Learning algebra - how to manipulate variables - has value but even then it's just the language you use to describe things that are actually interesting.

Speaking of which, have you folks read Lockhart's Lament? I imagine most of you have but it's a great essay to read and think about if you like math, particularly how it's taught versus how it could be.

i like dis essay its good

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
check out dis relation: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=cos%28x%21%2B1%29%3Da%5E2

wonder what sort of shenanigans are going on to make a graph that looks like this

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

ol qwerty bastard posted:

check out dis relation: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=cos%28x%21%2B1%29%3Da%5E2

wonder what sort of shenanigans are going on to make a graph that looks like this

our alien masters left us a message :tinfoil: and it looks like ... some kind of schematics?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
what blows my mind about math is that n!!!=(n!)!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

sarehu posted:

what blows my mind about math is that n!!!=(n!)!

for a moment I thought you were talking about multifactorials (which are bullshit btw)

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Symbolic Butt posted:

for a moment I thought you were talking about multifactorials (which are bullshit btw)

i was, n!! != (n!)!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

i like dis essay its good

word

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

sarehu posted:

i was, n!! != (n!)!

goddamn I was so close

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Symbolic Butt posted:

I just looked at the wiki article, I think I'm the pickover superfactorial

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
what's up Math thread i got my numerics code to work so I gues im not a complete piece of poo poo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bump_fn posted:

what's up Math thread i got my numerics code to work so I gues im not a complete piece of poo poo

guess again!!!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Captain Foo posted:

guess again!!!
I was too lazy to solve a diophantine equation by hand so yeahh agreed

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ol qwerty bastard posted:

thats not a great plot imo

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
Wow skolem's paradox is some weird poo poo.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

this is a good article if you like the simpsons

http://boingboing.net/2014/10/17/homers-last-theorem.html

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Tin Gang posted:

get an fx-115 dummy

I did and it owns I'm using it right now at my job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

You know, they say all men are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Samoa Joe, and you can see that statement is not true! See, normally if you go one-on-one with another wrestler, you got a 50-50 chance of winnin'. But I'm a genetic freak, and I'm not normal, so you got a 25% at best at beatin' me! And then you add Kurt Angle to the mix? Your chances of winnin' drasticy go down. See the three-way, at Sacrifice, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winnin'. But I, I got a 66 2/3 chance of winning, cause Kurt Angle KNOWS he can't beat me, and he's not even gonna try! So, Samoa Joe, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25 percent chance, and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winnin' at Sacrifice! But then you take my 75 perchance chance at winnin', if we was to go one-on-one, and to add 66 2/3 ch... percents, I got a 141 2/3 chance of winnin' at Sacrifice! See, McJoe; the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Sacrifice!

• Locked thread