Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

banach-tarski banach-tarski

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
i just learned the formal definition of probability and it's :krad:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

computer parts posted:

the formal definition of probability

which one

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

the dumb babby one they teach to engineers

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
kolmogorov's axioms best axioms

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

computer parts posted:

the dumb babby one they teach to engineers

out, frequentist trash

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Brain Candy posted:

out, frequentist trash

lol if you're still arguing frequentist v bayesian you just didn't get it son

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

qirex posted:

I realized that I've forgotten basically everything

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
how are maths books proofread

are maths books proofread

im in the last third of a thousand-page doorstop on machine learning and the typo rate is climbing every chapter

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

maths hurts my brain

ow math stop, good math

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

coffeetable posted:

how are maths books proofread

are maths books proofread

im in the last third of a thousand-page doorstop on machine learning and the typo rate is climbing every chapter

can u imagine a worse job than proofreading an algebra textbook? I'm not sure I can.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

ChiralCondensate posted:

lol if you're still arguing frequentist v bayesian you just didn't get it son

i believe schools need to teach both sides so students can make up their own mind

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

rotor posted:

can u imagine a worse job than proofreading an algebra textbook? I'm not sure I can.

from what I understand, this handled almost entirely by unpaid grad students

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Brain Candy posted:

out, frequentist trash

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
over the course of a summer ive forgotten everything from my first calculus class. fall is gonna be great

e: actually i just remembered the limit definition of a derivative

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
real analysis is the most fun math

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was so proud of myself when I worked out the relationship between X and 1/X

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

I was so proud of myself when I worked out the relationship between X and 1/X

they are inverses iirc

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i remember the exact moment in high school when i understood what a derivative was. my teacher projected a plot of cos(x) over a plot of sin(x) and i saw the relationship between the slope of one and the position of the other. pretty rad breakthrough moment, imho.

anyways, i am very glad that nowadays i have computers to do my math for me.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i knew about derivatives back in like algebra when i was trying to describe the slope of a parabola but ofc my teacher was like "slopes are for lines you dumbass" and never told us about derivatives

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

they are inverses iirc

yeah of course! but I didn't know anything about it when I had to use them all the time and then I worked it out and felt like a revelation

Joe Law
Jun 30, 2008

complex analysis is objectively the sexiest math

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
can we get some discrete geometry up in here? gently caress all this continuous crap, 5 solids is all i need

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

suspicious donkey! posted:

can we get some discrete geometry up in here? gently caress all this continuous crap, 5 solids is all i need

the other day I was reading about the tetrahedron packing problem, it's absolutely outrageous.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

quasicrystals are weird as heck

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013

Symbolic Butt posted:

the other day I was reading about the tetrahedron packing problem, it's absolutely outrageous.

this rules, because as with all cool & sexy mathematical problems, this was first formulated by the greeks

also geometry rules because new solids are still being discovered. Not regular ones ofc but some crazy stuff i dont understand.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

also geometry rules because new solids are still being discovered. Not regular ones ofc but some crazy stuff i dont understand.

is this like wen i design a new dildo like thing in blender its like a NEW SOLID being DISCOVERED?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

this rules, because as with all cool & sexy mathematical problems, this was first formulated by the greeks

aristotle was so full of poo poo though

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013

echinopsis posted:

is this like wen i design a new dildo like thing in blender its like a NEW SOLID being DISCOVERED?

if you find a new kind of dildo that pleasures you in ways that havent been done before, yeah p much. dong shape doesnt count tho, even if its dragon dong or whatever. also you dont have to know how it actually looks like, just that its somewhere out there

Symbolic Butt posted:

aristotle was so full of poo poo though

yeah just let me write something on this here automated symbol processing machine not influenced by aristotle oh wait

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I was specifically talking about the tetrahedra tiling space thing. in general Aristotle was a p cool guy

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
oh yeah okay

another cool greek thing: killing people over discovering forbidden numbers. you might call this behaviour... irrational!?

summary: pythargoras rules cauchy drools

Swolegoat
Nov 4, 2011
i;m glad rotor knows what quasicrystals are

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

post the rest of the series, please

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

prefect posted:

post the rest of the series, please

It's from a book from the 70s called "Mathematics made difficult".

quote:

Mathematics Made Difficult is a book by Carl E. Linderholm that uses advanced mathematical methods to prove results normally shown using elementary proofs. Although the aim is largely satirical, it also shows the non-trivial mathematics behind operations normally considered obvious, such as numbering, counting, and factoring integers.

As an example, the proof that two is a prime number starts:

quote:

It is easily seen that the only numbers between 0 and 2, including 0 but excluding 2, are 0 and 1. Thus the remainder left by any number on division by 2 is either 0 or 1. Hence the quotient ring Z/2Z, where 2Z is the ideal in Z generated by 2, has only the elements [0] and [1], where these are the images of 0 and 1 under the canonical quotient map. Since [1] must be the unit of this ring, every element of this ring except [0] is a unit, and the ring is a field ...

It's out of print, but it's easy to find PDFs floating around.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Brain Candy posted:

out, frequentist trash

i took the priors, ran the likelihood, and well the posterior says you belong in gbs

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

solve for imhotep

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
what question does the Cauchy distribution hate most?

got a moment? :D

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

MononcQc posted:

It's from a book from the 70s called "Mathematics made difficult".

thanks for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Swolegoat posted:

i;m glad rotor knows what quasicrystals are

I did my senior year thingamajigger on plane tilings

• Locked thread