Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
does this graph suffice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

no

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but it answers my question (as in, i dont wonder no more) without explaining anything

ii oh el
Jan 9, 2007

Ericadia posted:

this calculator is super banned from most math classes at my college. the only class i used one in was also the hardest, the teacher was like "use whatever calculator, it won't help" and then horns popped out of his head and fire engulfed the room

if it equalled anything else poo poo would break and people would go hungry like jewkiller said

its something like 2^69 / 2^69 = 2^(69-69) = 2^(0). and a number divided by itself is 1: 2^69/2^69 = 1

You can't use division in an explanation of it b/c 0^0=1.

It has more to do with 1 being the multiplicative identity.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

sarehu posted:

x^0 is always 1 when the 0 is in N, but not when the 0 is in R.

what

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ShadowHawk posted:

https://vimeo.com/109405701

suck it all you math-knowers

i'm the dead battery at one thirty in the afternoon

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
mathematics is whatever doesn't lead to a contradiction, and in most cases defining x^0 to be 1 leads to no contradictions and also yields further useful mathematics, e.g. in that graph it makes the lines continuous

same is true when we have 0^a = 0 for almost all a

0^0 is undefined because there is no definition we could give it which wouldn't lead to a contradiction. the exponentiation operator is not defined for inputs 0 and 0

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qntm posted:

mathematics is whatever doesn't lead to a contradiction, and in most cases defining x^0 to be 1 leads to no contradictions and also yields further useful mathematics, e.g. in that graph it makes the lines continuous

same is true when we have 0^a = 0 for almost all a

0^0 is undefined because there is no definition we could give it which wouldn't lead to a contradiction. the exponentiation operator is not defined for inputs 0 and 0

wish your posting operator was undefined

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
empty product

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ericadia posted:

this calculator is super banned from most math classes at my college. the only class i used one in was also the hardest, the teacher was like "use whatever calculator, it won't help" and then horns popped out of his head and fire engulfed the room

the only calculator restrictions i've ever had was an intro chem class that banned any sort of graphing calculator for reasons unknown

i still use a ti-84 though because the 89 is annoying and i can do 95% of what i need with it (the other 5% is linear programming problems so i use matlab instead)

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

computer parts posted:

the only calculator restrictions i've ever had was an intro chem class that banned any sort of graphing calculator for reasons unknown

probably because you can just type text data into most graphing calculators, i.e. notes with which to cheat

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

ugh thats when maths murders me

Good on you for saying it correctly. For this thread Mathematics not Mathematic.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

yospo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Good on you for saying it correctly. For this thread Mathematics not Mathematic.

if you say maths out loud you are literal human garbage

next thing you'll tell me you say "zed" instead of "zee" when saying the letter z out loud

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

my nephew is canadian but was raised in san francisco

he used to say zeed :3:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
User said "maths" ugh ITS JUST MATH OK. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
:colbert:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

rotor posted:

i liked topology, but when i went to grad school i found out i didn't really LIKE it like it.

what's the difference between a topologist and physicist?

a physicist can tell the difference between his rear end and a hole in the ground

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
its actually called quadrivium hth

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
oh yeah study those quads baby

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Sorry Rotor, but I disagree. For you see different people say different words to mean the same thing. It's what makes this world just that little bit more special :peanut:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Sorry Rotor, but I disagree. For you see different people say different words to mean the same thing. It's what makes this world just that little bit more special :peanut:

you are right and your words have shamed me. henceforth it is no longer probateable to say maths or zed. thank you for the "reality check.".

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
math owns and analysis/geometry/topology are vital for understanding modern physics

read this you mopes

http://www.amazon.com/Geometry-Topology-Physics-Edition-Graduate/dp/0750306068/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414524562&sr=8-1&keywords=nakahara

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

rotor posted:

you are right and your words have shamed me. henceforth it is no longer probateable to say maths or zed. thank you for the "reality check.".

and from now on, I promise not to get mad about dates, even though 9/11 actually happened on 11/9 :glomp:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
why is shrughes posting under an alt

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
math is gay

im math

im gay

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Internaut! posted:

math owns and analysis/geometry/topology are vital for understanding modern physics

read this you mopes

http://www.amazon.com/Geometry-Topology-Physics-Edition-Graduate/dp/0750306068/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414524562&sr=8-1&keywords=nakahara

Yeah lemme just read a textbook

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

i liked doing combinatorics and graph theory when i was in school even though it was my worst class grades wise. i liked being able to visually manipulate problems in my head to find counter examples and then just drawing them out

the 4 colour theorem is p. dope

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

mishaq posted:

if you say maths out loud you are literal human garbage

next thing you'll tell me you say "zed" instead of "zee" when saying the letter z out loud

i say both!!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

qntm posted:

probably because you can just type text data into most graphing calculators, i.e. notes with which to cheat

this sucked for my signals class cause there are like all of three non-graphing calculators that can handle imaginary numbers

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
the rule for our exams was you could bring a graphing calculator but they would reset its memory on the way into the hall

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

no gently caress them i have very important apps on that

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Bloody posted:

no gently caress them i have very important apps on that

i spent my final two years in secondary school doing nothing but program that thing, that's why i left it at home for the exams

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

dragon enthusiast posted:

this sucked for my signals class cause there are like all of three non-graphing calculators that can handle imaginary numbers

get an fx-115 dummy

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

install matlab

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rotor posted:

do they say "zed zed top" in england/australia/canada?

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

prefect posted:

do they say "zed zed top" in england/australia/canada?

no

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

yes

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
only when appropriate, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor