Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It'd be really cool if we could be limited to one serious terrible event at a time NFL.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/12/adrian-peterson-indicted-for-child-abuse/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I've heard of flipping the switch before but this is ridiculous

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So lets see what Goodell does to try to prove that he really cares about this kind of stuff. Season suspension or lifetime ban?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

So he beat his 11 year old kid or someone else's 11 year old kid?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I don't like this.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The way I'm parsing it, it seems like it was his child who lives with his mother and was visiting him.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Here is a link to a guy who says he is part of the Texas Child Abuse system.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyfootball/comments/2g8c81/adrian_peterson_arrested/ckgm9c5

quote:

Texas Child Abuse detective here, going to provide the little insight I can.
All of the following is based upon the information from sources being accurate
  • The assault/injury to the child occurred some time ago and a report was filed.
  • That report was forwarded to the Grand Jury as a "Grand Jury Referral." Basically that means that no charges have been filed, but the prosecutor (and possibly a detective) want to present the evidence to a jury and ask them if they believe it is something that someone should be arrested for.
  • The case was presented once, No-Billed (meaning not enough evidence to justify arrest or trial) The prosecutor presented it again. Typically this is only done if there is new evidence to be presented, but prosecutors can be sneaky and resubmit it to the grand jury after a new jury is seated (In my county, the jury is replaced every 3 months)
  • Once this jury true-billed the charge, a warrant was issued for AD and a bond was set by a judge to accompany the warrant.
  • AD and his attorneys more than likely agreed to turn himself in, he'll post bond immediately and spend zero time in jail outside of the booking/processing
  • This will go to trial or be plead out, but I'd be surprised if it happens during this football season. Typically our cases don't go to trial for a year or more.
  • Injury to a Child has different felony levels based upon the injuries the child suffered or the circumstances behind the injuries. This one is being reported as Injury to a Child/reckless/negligence. That is what we call a State Jail felony. State Jail Felonies carry a maximum of 2 years in jail and are typically plead out to probation. The weird thing is if this was a case of him "beating" his child it would have likely been filed as Injury to a Child/knowing/intentional which is either a Felony 3 (2-10 years) or a Felony 1 ( (Felony 1 if there is intentional "serious bodily injury or death") Most of the time the reckless/negligence comes when a parent over-disciplines a child by spanking them with a belt or extension cord leaving pattern bruises and cuts on the child's body. I would suspect that was the case here.
  • EDIT: There is a Injury to a Child/Negligence/Reckless that is a Felony 2. However that requires serious bodily injury or death that was caused by negligence or reckless behavior. If that were the case here, it probably would have been indicted the first time it was presented. Going to wager this is the state jail felony variety.
    Of course all of this is speculation based on the current rumors and my personal job experience.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Roger Goodell and the terrible no good very bad day week.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
All Day baby, I can beat this child all drat day. Crucify lil purple jesus.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The important thing to find out is if this was caught on video, it will greatly affect the length of suspension

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Everyone hates these domestic partners!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TMZ's updated report says the kid was 4. Wow...

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

darkforce898 posted:

Here is a link to a guy who says he is part of the Texas Child Abuse system.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyfootball/comments/2g8c81/adrian_peterson_arrested/ckgm9c5

This is all really interesting, especially because Oregon (where I work) operates entirely different than Texas in situations like these.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
By the way, yet another story broken by TMZ. This has been quite the week for them. Plus the Donald Sterling story, and Jameis Winston before that...

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The little guy was probably all hyped to spend time with his absent most of the year superstar football dad.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
You'd think a man who just lost a child to abuse would know how fragile they are... If this is true then I hope he is the first to go under the new league ban for violence.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

Welllllllllllllp

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Gross. Incredibly disappointing from one of the last people i would have expected it from.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
2 game suspension because the league has no child abuse policy.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Chris James 2 posted:

Jesus. I guess we'll get to see if that new domestic violence policy sticks.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
stop being violent crazy persons off the field you nutso's

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

ayn rand hand job posted:

2 game suspension because the league has no child abuse policy.

Kid isn't pressing charges and Peterson is a first time offender

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Houston radio station says that Peterson admitted that he "whooped" one of his kids.

God.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jesus NFL running backs, stop doing terrible things.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

you don't "whoop" 4 year olds

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

What a horrible, horrible week for the NFL's image

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
So am I the only person who doesn't know what the gently caress a switch is? I have literally never heard this and I can't imagine he beat his kid with a light switch.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/adrian-peterson-indicted-for-child-abuse/

Article has pictures from the police report. Pretty reprehensible.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

Levitate posted:

Schefter says it's an 11-year-old.

Pretty much just as bad, though.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
God drat. The NFL is just real depressing to follow outside of the actual game.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Levitate posted:

I whoop my 4 year old son

He runs down the soccer field and I stand up and yell "whoop whoop whoop!"

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
I'm kind of, sort of, maybe thinking about considering disliking football now :(

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Ishin posted:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/adrian-peterson-indicted-for-child-abuse/

wow gently caress him.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Febreeze posted:

So am I the only person who doesn't know what the gently caress a switch is? I have literally never heard this and I can't imagine he beat his kid with a light switch.

it's when your dad tells you to go pick your switch and you come back with one that aint big enough so he gets a new one

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Ishin posted:

ah gently caress

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ishin posted:

gently caress Adrian Peterson

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Febreeze posted:

It's a thin branch broken off from a tree

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Febreeze posted:

My mom used to threaten to get the switch when I was a kid. I didn't know what it was but it sounded scary.

edit: called you on your bluff Mom :smug:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Doctor Candiru posted:

Schefter says it's an 11-year-old.

Pretty much just as bad, though.

My bad, read that wrong. Still, stop loving doing stupid violent poo poo especially "switching" kids.

I'm sure tons of people will come out of the woodwork to say "hey I was beaten/spanked/switched as a kid and i'm ok what's wrong?" but come the gently caress on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Febreeze posted:

Think like a flexible tree branch. It snaps and hurts like poo poo when you get hit with it.

Also I just saw the pictures and fuuuuck

• Locked thread