Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Man this doesn't matter at all but it just hit me that somewhere Phil Mushnick is feeling really smug and now I'm even more annoyed.

The second I heard about this that was my thought too

Watch him write more thug-related stuff as usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Alright so I wandered away just before those texts got posted. Get hosed AP.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

That's the thing, he probably doesn't see it as getting angry or hitting him with a weapon. It's not that he's a violent guy with bloodlust, he just doesn't see it as wrong.

Pretty much. The whole Houston Chronicle report is about how calm he was explaining everything and fully cooperating because he doesn't think he did anything wrong. As if the cuts were an accident because his son didn't cry as his cue to ease up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GNU Order posted:

I wonder what motorbike game they were playing?
Hope it was Road Rage

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I got spanked growing up, and all that happened was I continued to misbehave while growing into a cynical, bitter, abrasive jackass. So apparently they should've used a switch?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

DangerKat posted:

Pretty much. The whole Houston Chronicle report is about how calm he was explaining everything and fully cooperating because he doesn't think he did anything wrong. As if the cuts were an accident because his son didn't cry as his cue to ease up.

Literally every piece of news that continues to come out shows that ADP has beaten his children several times before

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

CharlestheHammer posted:

Its a southern thing really.

Yeah, this is fascinating to watch unfold across the internet across geographical and generational lines. Horrifying, obviously. But fascinating to watch.

Comes across quite a bit in the "But his own kid was beaten to death!" comments as well. To make a distinction that IN NO WAY EXCUSES, WHITEWASHES OR MINIMIZES THE ABUSE FOR WHICH PETERSON WAS INDICTED, Peterson beat his son's legs, rear end and ankles with a switch. Joseph Patterson killed Peterson's 2 year old son with repeated head trauma.

Neither one is acceptable. Both are terrible. I'd hope one can see how Peterson would make the distinction between "whooping" his son's rear end and beating an infant to death by "intentionally or recklessly causing brain damage or bleeding of the skull, from blows, shaking or making the boy’s head hit an object or surface"

Chris James 2 posted:

Can we please stop saying him or Rice are future Hall of Famers now? Even if they never see a guilty verdict over what they did, after this week they have a better chance of playing another down in the league than they do of making the Hall.

That holds true for literally every player who is not currently retired. The bar for "personal misbehavior" to keep someone out of the Hall is pretty drat high. Ray Lewis is about as close to a lock for the Hall as I can imagine. Peterson beating his child will not be something that sways whether or not he makes the Hall of Fame. It's possible that in 15 years his eligibility and/or induction will inspire thinkpieces about "The culture of Violence in the Concussion Era", but that's about all of the impact this will have on it.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

DangerKat posted:

This sort of thing is actually really common in child abuse cases where parents are trying to "discipline" their child; they usually assume they're just doing what's necessary, and that anyone else would have done the same.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

GNU Order posted:

Literally every piece of news that continues to come out shows that ADP has beaten his children several times before

Exactly, it's habitual but even he supposedly has a line as evidenced by the objection to the mention of extension cords. Hopefully with time he can learn why what he did is horrific and unacceptable rather just be a dead-to-rights terrible monster.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I feel pretty bad for ebg/any Oklahoma/Vikings fans right now. Can't imagine how I'd feel if one of my favorite athletes did something like this.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I feel pretty bad for ebg/any Oklahoma/Vikings fans right now. Can't imagine how I'd feel if one of my favorite athletes did something like this.

Gendo :ohdear:

Verisimillipede
Jul 17, 2006

I can never understand hurting a child. God drat NFL if ANYONE needs a lifetime ban it is this man.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I refused to click the link, but apparently news outlets are posting pictures of his son. I can't believe the media will now publish photographs of injuries a 4 year old received from his father. What right do they have to do that?

Disgusting.

(I also refused to watch the Ray Rice elevator video for the same reasons. It just makes the victim even more of a victim)

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Geoff Peterson posted:

Neither one is acceptable. Both are terrible. I'd hope one can see how Peterson would make the distinction between "whooping" his son's rear end and beating an infant to death by "intentionally or recklessly causing brain damage or bleeding of the skull, from blows, shaking or making the boy’s head hit an object or surface"

Oh, definitely. I think it's pretty easy to acknowledge both "beating the crap out of your kid as a disciplinary measure is awful" and "intentionally assaulting an infant is even worse."

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Geoff Peterson posted:

Peterson beating his child will not be something that sways whether or not he makes the Hall of Fame. It's possible that in 15 years his eligibility and/or induction will inspire thinkpieces about "The culture of Violence in the Concussion Era", but that's about all of the impact this will have on it.

riiiight

naw he's done

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I was a huge Kobe fan when the rape case came down the pipe. That wasn't fun. I also thought he was a little bit of an rear end even before then, but I wore my #8 jersey less after that.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
The only thing I can hope for is that he realizes what he did falls under the not ok category and he becomes an advocate for not beating the gently caress out of your kids. So more of the Vick apology tour than the Rice one.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ribsauce posted:

I refused to click the link, but apparently news outlets are posting pictures of his son. I can't believe the media will now publish photographs of injuries a 4 year old received from his father. What right do they have to do that?

Disgusting.

(I also refused to watch the Ray Rice elevator video for the same reasons. It just makes the victim even more of a victim)

I don't disagree but on the other hand if TMZ didn't release that video Ray Rice would be back on the field next week.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Given that most athletes are conservative I would say there's a non-zero percent chance of it.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Eh, it's disappointing, just earlier today I sent my wife a text that I wanted the Adrian Peterson ugly sweater for Christmas, since it's way better than the other Vikings ugly sweaters; that said, it's not like I have anything personally invested in the guy other than liking him play football really well, and this certainly overshadows my enjoying a game. He's not a great guy, and I'm glad it's coming to light so something will (hopefully) be done about it.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

Given that most athletes are conservative I would say there's a non-zero percent chance of it.

I know that, but I don't KNOW yet. :v:

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

The only thing I can hope for is that he realizes what he did falls under the not ok category and he becomes an advocate for not beating the gently caress out of your kids. So more of the Vick apology tour than the Rice one.

Given his superstar status i see this being the thing that happens

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

JoshTheStampede posted:

I don't disagree but on the other hand if TMZ didn't release that video Ray Rice would be back on the field next week.

I guess that is true but it is pretty hosed when there is a universal outrage over a Jennifer Lawrence hacked cell phone pic but a woman getting knocked out by her famous husband can air 24 hours a day.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

To the Giants credit, they cut Michael Boley when he physically abused his 5 year old son. Vikes could definitely do the same.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Ribsauce posted:

Disgusting.

Normally I would agree that showing the pictures or video is simply viewmongering through shock or exploitative (it probably is). I used to think of it as being on par with showing pictures of mass murders or killers faces

But then I realized that people need to see this stuff in order to get actually outraged, rather than just skim over the story and move on to the next thing.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I don't think he'd be any worse off, always a good excuse to quote my favorite Gendo post:

Gendo posted:

Life is a series of compromises and disappointments, each eroding your capacity for hope a little more than the last. While this may seem cruel it's a natural progression that helps carry us from the state where you're at now, where death seems terrifying and unnatural, to where you'll be at the end of your life, where it seems a welcome and warm embrace.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Ozu posted:

To the Giants credit, they cut Michael Boley when he physically abused his 5 year old son. Vikes could definitely do the same.

I really wonder how this plays out from a football perspective since it's Adrian Goddamn Peterson were talking about here. Everyone knows who he is.

Who the hell is Michael Boley?

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
So does anyone think he's done for the year or what? Will the Vikings cut him?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Can someone tell me what happened to Gendo super quick I missed his exit.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

kiimo posted:

Can someone tell me what happened to Gendo super quick I missed his exit.

He got tired of modding and quit after the Superbowl

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Are Rice/Ravens fans calling for AP to be suspended indefinitely because of fairness yet?

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Harlock posted:

Are Rice/Ravens fans calling for AP to be suspended indefinitely because of fairness yet?

Panthers and 49ers fans are calling for him to be reactivate on Sunday.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thaddius the Large posted:

Eh, it's disappointing, just earlier today I sent my wife a text that I wanted the Adrian Peterson ugly sweater for Christmas, since it's way better than the other Vikings ugly sweaters; that said, it's not like I have anything personally invested in the guy other than liking him play football really well, and this certainly overshadows my enjoying a game. He's not a great guy, and I'm glad it's coming to light so something will (hopefully) be done about it.

Well like, the reason I mentioned ebg is I'm pretty sure she was at OU when he was, and like, there's something about watching/knowing an athlete in college that's a little different. Thankfully none of the athletes on any major level I've actually known have done poo poo like this (except James Johnson but I only met him once). But as an example, I work for a Wake Forest blog and am actually reasonably close, acquaintance-wise, to a lot of the current hoops players. If, let's say, Codi Miller-McIntyre gets to the NBA and does something terrible, or Devin Thomas, or even current NFL player Joe Looney whom I also knew because he dated a friend of mine once upon a time, it'd mess with my head because I know these guys, albeit casually, and consider them friends on some level.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

SamuraiFoochs posted:

We're the real victims here

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Chromatic posted:

There's no way the Vikings don't cut him. If the league suspends him indefinitely, he'll never play football again. If they don't, I wouldn't be surprised to see some team try to pick him up, but hopefully nobody would

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chromatic posted:

Huh, he actually seems more cuttable from a cap perspective than Rice was. Note that I know poo poo about the salary cap and might be reading things wrong, but there's less dead money involved.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I miss gendo.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 13, 2014

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

Huh, he actually seems more cuttable from a cap perspective than Rice was. Note that I know poo poo about the salary cap and might be reading things wrong, but there's less dead money involved.

His salary is fully guaranteed at this point so not really more cuttable. Not that they shouldn't do it anyway.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I just looked at the Bleacher Report Facebook comments and I really have to go lie down now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

We're the real victims here

That is kinda how it sounds, isn't it? I'm dumb and meds are probably making me dumber, don't mind me.

• Locked thread