Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

McGann posted:

This happened to me yesterday, actually. Giving Voyage to Venus a re-listen (Six + J&L? loving right!) and the "animal noises" that are supposed to be alien are some of the same stock animal noises from Ultima Online (which I played pretty much the entirety of my teen years). Not as common but it did pop up multiple times in that audio and it took me out of it every time.

The two worst for me was in the Lost Story "The Elite" where the computer bank sound effects were, I swear, from Atari's Pac-Man. (Maybe they were just trying to really recreate the 80's for this LS?). The second was the sound effect used when the Doctor uses a hologram device to go undercover among insect aliens in "Valhalla". BF used some sort of weird modulation on their voices, a buzzing sound, that almost made me physically ill. Serious, the sound was legitimately making me sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I listen to stories at one go at work, and then let them drift into my generic playlist.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Was in Las Vegas a few weeks ago, noticed something familiar on a construction wall at Bellagio...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

seeing my nearly 70 year old father fixing the engine of a 1973 Camaro with a pair of Beats by Dre while humming old Buddy Holly tunes,

Your dad is awesome and you can tell him that I'm a big fan of his Vice Presidency.

DoctorWhat posted:

That drat line shows up at least twice a year in the Monthly Range alone, and has been doing so for what seems like forever. At this point it's like the Wilhelm scream, or a Transformers-fandom "Furmanism", to the point that it totally breaks me out of the story and I can hear it coming whole CD tracks ahead-of-time.
I'm working on the first UNIT line (goddamn this is an improvement from the crapfest that was the first season of Sarah Jane, and I realized today how often you hear the line "flattery will get you everywhere."

Definitely enjoying the series, though - workplace military paranormal investigation should be a better-explored genre.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I usually throw Big Finish on my phone and listen to them at work, then if I'm halfway through a story I'll bring my headphones and finish up on the commute home (or not, if I don't care to finish the story). Used to listen to them on my commute, but then I changed jobs and went from two trains, a bus, and two hours to one train and about half an hour. Kind of threw a bit of a wrench into that plan!

Bicyclops posted:

My commute is terribly inconsistent, ranging anywhere from 15 minutes to 40, depending on the graces of Lord Green Line, so it's not even necessarily enough to get a full episode in, or that would probably have been my strategy. I try not to complain, because it's oceans better than the 2 hours, 2 buses and 2 trains I used to have a few years ago.

gently caress, I'm sorry, every time I've had to use the Green Line for anything it's been a nightmare. Couldn't imagine depending on it to get into work.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I should start listening to my huge Big Finish gift soon, now that I'm almost caught up entirely with Welcome to Night Vale. My commute to work is 30-40 mins each way, so I can easily fit in an episode per journey. In theory I could do 3 in a day.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

NarkyBark posted:

Was in Las Vegas a few weeks ago, noticed something familiar on a construction wall at Bellagio...

The Boneless have captured the Time Vortex! All is lost! :gonk:

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
There has not been enough love for the pulling the Sledgehammer out of hammerspace gag.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sylvester McCoy is nowadays busying himself making airliner safety videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOw44VFNk8Y

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
He was in The Hobbit, you know.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yes. I watched the The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot. I know, alright.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Sylvester McCoy is nowadays busying himself making airliner safety videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOw44VFNk8Y

And he wasn't wearing crocs while doing so!

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Hang on. Is this weeks episode gonna be vashta nerada?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Trees. Ep title about shadows or darkness or something. I think it might

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I don't think it's going to be about the Vashta Nerada, because the preview would have said so. It's instead focusing on the fact that a forest has just cropped up in the middle of London, the only linking factor being that forests are apparently where the Vashta Nerada usually live.

I'm not saying it won't be them, but I am saying that it doesn't seem like it will be.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Time for a new game this morning, as Big Finish has released the cover photo for the upcoming story Mistfall.

What is each character thinking right now?

(Nyssa/Tegan/Turlough in the same story for the first time since 1983?!? Hell yeah!)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
That just makes me think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0XdRxSHVKg

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

CobiWann posted:

(Nyssa/Tegan/Turlough in the same story for the first time since 1983?!? Hell yeah!)

Have you missed the last five-ish years of Big Finish? They've been doing Nyssa/Tegan/Turlough trilogies for AGES.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

Have you missed the last five-ish years of Big Finish? They've been doing Nyssa/Tegan/Turlough trilogies for AGES.

On one hand, I honestly did not know this. I’m slowly working through the main range and didn’t know I had this surprise waiting for me down the line! The smile on my face this morning just got a little bigger…

On the other hand, curse you for ruining the surprise! May you find that your TARDIS has turned into a pipe organ.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

CobiWann posted:

On one hand, I honestly did not know this. I’m slowly working through the main range and didn’t know I had this surprise waiting for me down the line! The smile on my face this morning just got a little bigger…

On the other hand, curse you for ruining the surprise! May you find that your TARDIS has turned into a pipe organ.

There are plenty of surprises in that regard. I haven't spoiled TOO much, I think...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Little_wh0re posted:

Trees. Ep title about shadows or darkness or something. I think it might

The episode title is a reference to the William Blake poem The Tyger. And we did see a tiger in the preview for the episode!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Time for a new game this morning, as Big Finish has released the cover photo for the upcoming story Mistfall.

What is each character thinking right now?

"Oh god that looks like a country house, we're going to another country house oh god Turlough you have to do the eating this time"*

* I may have been watching Black Orchid with commentary

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thexerox123 posted:

The episode title is a reference to the William Blake poem The Tyger. And we did see a tiger in the preview for the episode!

I was sitting in work earlier trying to puzzle out where I recognised the title from. Up until I realised it was the Blake poem, I kept thinking it was a reference to that one Billy Joel song, which seemed a bit odd.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Three's A Crowd is a really weird Big Finish story, full of lots of potential that it never realizes and incorporating some confusing implications of interpersonal drama between the Doctor, Peri and Erimem that seemingly have no basis in either this story or any preceding it, and then "resolves" those issues at the end with nobody ever talking to each other about them or otherwise addressing them. It also rather charmingly features 2nd Doctor companion Deborah Watling (Victoria) in a very different role as the pragmatic "Auntie", with refreshingly not a single nod or wink to the audience (that I noticed) about her previous role.

On a remote earth colony, "Auntie" and servitor-robot Butler are facing a crisis - their colony has very deliberately chosen one of the more remote and hostile areas of space to inhabit, wanting to separate themselves from the rest of human race as much as possible. However their terraforming equipment is not working as intended and they can't seem to get a message out to request rescue, meaning they're trapped on a planet hostile to human life with only the resources they brought with them. 50 years later, the TARDIS arrives on the now abandoned space station in orbit above the planet, where Erimem and Peri discover some disturbingly large eggs in the generator room. Erimem is accidentally teleported away just as Butler arrives to take the Doctor and Peri into custody, informing them that because the controls on the Transmat were jumbled, there's no way to know where she ended up on even if she was just scattered across space.

Rarely in Doctor Who are colonies shown to be in peril just from the conditions of the planet they're on/their utter unpreparedness for things going wrong. Usually there is some kind of external hostile force - an alien/indigenous race or an evil super-computer or something else that is causing the danger to the colonists, as opposed to the colonists just in general loving up somehow or discovering their technology isn't up to the task. So for the first couple of episodes there is a really fascinating look at how the humans have dealt with this situation they've put themselves into, and how their society has "evolved" over that half-century. People are isolated "for their own good", living in small rooms their entire lives and only seeing other people on rare "social" days where they can visit ONE other member of the colony. As a result, no more than two people are ever in a room at once, and their communication as a colony consists almost entire of talking over intercoms. They're basically stereotypical goons except they are all enormously physically fit due to their heavy exercise regime. This is due to a rare selection process where a few lucky colonists are sent to the orbiting space station to use the long range Transmat, which needs to punch them through the radiation that blocks their communications with the outside world. The colonists are therefore agoraphobic and socially awkward, with romances a rarity and no breeding at all allowed as the colony has "failed" and they're basically just killing time till they can ALL be transmatted back to earth. There has also been a level of conspiracy bred, as in the absence of actual information some have started coming up with wild theories to explain how odd the situation they now live in actually is.

Into this rather fascinating premise appears first Erimem and later Peri, while the Doctor primarily deals with Auntie or Butler. The two companions react with confusion and surprise to the conditions the colonists live in and force them to step out of their comfort zones. They find the hidden doors in each room (in that they were behind a hanging rug, and the colonists never bothered to look behind it) and lead them into the horror of CORRIDORS! For Erimem and Peri corridors are a familiar :rolleyes: experience, but for the colonists they're horrifying, big rooms that go on forever, utterly beyond their comprehension. As they're encouraged and even coerced into continuing their exploration, the Doctor attempts to learn more about what is going on with the colony, having figured out that Auntie is hiding something. Unfortunately the answer is.... hostile aliens :sigh:

Even though the eggs were introduced early, for a lengthy period it's all about the weirdo conditions the colonists are living in. Then the aliens show up, hostile lizardmen who are using the colony as a farm. By itself it's a fairly standard but competent threat/peril, but I felt it got in the way of the far more interesting story of how humans adapt to deal with a situation where their options are severely limited. The thing is, once the aliens show up in the story they then spend a considerable amount of time.... not being in the story. So when they do show up again I found myself going,"Oh right, THOSE guys again..." as opposed to finding them in any way threatening or compelling. It doesn't help that they're pretty much idiots, and that the later reveal of Auntie's own secret and then HER discovering the truth behind that just makes me think that she must be even stupider to have fallen for any of it. It does make the redemptive moment at the end of the story make sense though, when she informs the colonists that she is no longer their leader and it is time they started making their own decisions.

At the bookends of the story there are moments where the problem of Erimem is addressed. The story follows directly on from The Roof of the World, but it feels like lipservice at best, and honestly I felt like maybe I had missed a story set between the two or something, because Peri and the Doctor talk about Erimem in ways that make it seem like the audience should be thinking the same way about Erimem as they are.... but there has been nothing to lead the audience down that track. I actually thought at first that Peri herself was sick of Erimem and hoping to get the Doctor to admit the same so they could dump her, which felt really bizarre and out of character. Later, the Doctor actually outright offers to dump her on the planet and leave her COMPLETELY out of her element to be the new leader of the colony, and seems bizarely surprised when Erimem not only declines, but tells him that she wants to continue traveling with them. For some reason that is supposed to come as a surprise to the viewer too? I just don't get it, I understand that she'd be traumatized by the events of the previous story, but she's given no indication that she was sick of traveling with them or that she wanted to go. There's also this weird element introduced earlier about Erimem needing to wear sunglasses because her eyes are still suffering.... but then this explicitly referenced bit at the start of the first episode has literally no impact at all on the rest of the story.

Three's A Crowd could have been a really fascinating examination of the psychology of a colony where every inhabitant is permanently locked in their rooms and no more than two people can ever be together in the same place, and even then only on rare occasions. Instead it throws in the typical alien menace, which isn't strong enough to warrant taking the focus away from the more interesting subject matter. Everybody puts in a fine performance, though the best is probably Bellip who plays a woman always on the verge of a panic attack. Maybe this is because she's played by Lucy Beresford, a writer and psychotherapist who would know how to hit just the right notes to make her believable. Deborah Watling is fun in such a different role to Victoria, and Nicola Bryant's exasperation with the agoraphobic colonists is a lot of fun. Caroline Morris and Peter Davison are both fine, but the Doctor is largely a background character for this one. It's a good story, but it could have been so much more, and I can't help but wonder if Big Finish wasn't just playing it safe at this point while the revived TV series brought the franchise into greater public visibility.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 25, 2014

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Given the legitimate psychological damage that isolation/solitary confinement can do, this is a pretty terrifying premise. Were any of the colonists full-on insane or otherwise in a really bad way, J-ru? I'm just curious.

I wouldn't mind seeing a story similar to this on Doctor Who proper.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NowonSA posted:

Given the legitimate psychological damage that isolation/solitary confinement can do, this is a pretty terrifying premise. Were any of the colonists full-on insane or otherwise in a really bad way, J-ru? I'm just curious.

I wouldn't mind seeing a story similar to this on Doctor Who proper.

Without going too much into details as to why, you only get to see 2-3 colonists and the worst case is Bellip who is living in a near constant state of panic. But yeah they basically scratched the surface of what kind of damage could have been done by the restrictions/limitations of the environment the colonists found themselves in, and by itself exploring that would have been a far more interesting story than having the evil lizardmen show up to go,"Rarrrgh we're the bad guys! Rarrrrgh!"

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I agree that it's a more interesting premise to explore that without some alien threat around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love this little girl :allears:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
What happened at the very beginning? I only caught The Doctor talking about being the last of his species on.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jerusalem posted:

I love this little girl :allears:

She's a little too self-aware, but she's better than Courtney.

e: Camping out in the Natural History Museum. London kids have to make do, I guess.

e2: Oh my god Coleman is tiny

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 25, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

What happened at the very beginning? I only caught The Doctor talking about being the last of his species on.

Little girl was running around lost in the forest, found the TARDIS and told the Doctor that Miss Oswald sent her.

Autonomous Monster posted:

She's a little too self-aware, but she's better than Courtney.

Generally children actors are pretty awful and "precocious" and it's a difficult balance to get right, but something about this one is working for me so far, she seems so earnest :)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

THE BUS HAD A DOCTOR WHO AD ON IT

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

CALM DOWN

the spoiler thread already had a shitfit over this

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Awareness campaign for getting to know your local medical professional!

Edit: Haha, the plan is to set fire to the forest?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I just want to say I really like trees. They're very pretty.

e: This episode is a lot of fun for me.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Autonomous Monster posted:

CALM DOWN

the spoiler thread already had a shitfit over this

No, DoctorWhat already had a shitfit about it (in the spoiler thread)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
"This isn't an invasion, they've already won."

The trees are Cybus-universe Cybermen. :v:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No, DoctorWhat already had a shitfit about it (in the spoiler thread)

Oh, okay. I just saw a shitfit and tuned out. :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Look out Maive, Rose Tyler is after you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

drat that girl is fast.

• Locked thread