Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Episode after episode of "the Doctor disses Clara but it's okay because he's an alien and just doesn't get that he's insulting her, ha ha!", and none of it with a fraction of the wit and characterisation of Douglas Adams and Tom Baker's "You're a beautiful woman, probably."

So we're now four episodes in (almost five if you count the extended runtime of the first), and I still don't have a handle on who Twelve is. Okay, he's a curmudgeon, but beyond that? After this much time with the previous Doctors their personalities were pretty solidly defined (think of how much Pertwee and Baker had already made the part their own - in terms of screentime, Baker would by now be into 'The Sontaran Experiment'), but Capaldi hasn't been able to stamp his own mark because he's alternating between 'grump' and 'leftover Eleven badinage'.

As for the episode itself, meh. "There was no monster. The Doctor was found alive, well and of normal size...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
This episode had some (mildly) amusing moments, but it's cemented something that's been developing all season: the show's become The Misadventures Of Clara rather than Doctor Who. This week, Clara has a big date with her hunky co-worker, but her wacky time-travelling neighbour space dad friend throws a spanner in the works once again! That crazy Kramer Doctor, what will he get up to next?

Matt Smith's stories often had sitcom-esque scenes, sometimes to excess, but this year's gone all-out with it and it's getting tiresome. The Doctor's seemed less like the hero of his own show than the zany comic relief.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CuddleChunks posted:

The grumpy, bickering, fairly rude Doctor is really making me laugh. His utter obliviousness to Clara is a decent source of comedy and fits in decently with the series as a whole. Here's hoping they will focus on telling adventure stories and gadding about the galaxy instead of writing more drivel like this week and the season opener.
I'm not even finding the Doctor's personality quirks all that funny, because it really is sitcom-level stuff - a long-running sitcom where a character's traits have been magnified and caricatured to a ridiculous degree, like Kramer's money-making schemes in Seinfeld or Joey's stupidity in Friends. The Doctor thinks Danny's a PE teacher! Ha ha! And he says it again, and again, and again, and a-loving-gain, and people keep correcting him, and still he keeps saying it. Did it turn out he was doing it on purpose to be a dick? No, he was just being oblivious to someone he didn't care about. Hilarious.

The Doctor's always been able to drop into human (or whatever) society with no trouble before, so why are they pulling out the Mork & Mindy/Third Rock "BEEP BOOP I am an alien" bag of gags now?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Random Stranger posted:

I think the majority of the people involved thought that they were just going back in time and doing their own thing, not that they were erasing everyone from existence. But it's not really clear who knows what in that story.
I don't think they even knew they were going back in time; the whole thing with the fake spaceship was to make them believe they were going to a new, virgin planet. (That happened to be full of dinosaurs, but by then they'd be in a bit too deep to complain.)

Funny how advanced Britain's space programme was in the 1970s80s.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The moon doesn't weigh 1.6 billion (1,600,000,000) tons, or whatever the number was they kept bandying about. The moon weighs (approx) 73,459,000,000,000,000,000 tons (73 quintillion), if I'm reading Wolfram Alpha right. Sci-fi writers really don't get how massive planetary bodies are. :sperg:

Edit: more spergery; again, if I'm using Wolfram Alpha right and assuming that rock weighs one ton per cubic metre, a 1.6 billion ton moon would only be about a mile in diameter.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 4, 2014

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Dabir posted:

Hang on, how the gently caress was the moon getting more massive? Eggs don't get heavier over time, where was all the extra mass coming from?
Haha, I was going to put that in my earlier spergy post too, but deleted it. Glad to know I'm not the only person who gets pissed off by unaccountable mass gains in my sci-fi!

It's funny how Capaldi is clearly a massive Pertwee fan, but his Doctor is so far Three's polar opposite: Pertwee always played the Doctor as a heroic figure of trust and safety for the kids watching ("Who's your friend" was a Radio Times cover!), while Twelve is a massively irresponsible rear end in a top hat who directly endangers (and then abandons) a child to prove a point and doesn't give a poo poo. Post-watershed, at that!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gaz-L posted:

I think a lot of what people mean is that he's not being presented entirely positively, which I thought was a big complaint about Smith and Tennant, what with the Jesus-Doctor stuff?
To me, it's not that he's "not being presented entirely positively". He's not being presented positively, full stop! So far, Twelve has been a colossal, petulant, arrogant, unlikeable dickhead to such an extent that he makes Six look like Five. Why would anyone want to spend time with him? Maybe Moffat and co are doing this on purpose as part of some redemptive master plan, but JNT did the same with Colin Baker, and look how well that turned out.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So I guess the moon from 'The Moonbase' and 'The Seeds Of Death' was actually Egg 2.0, then? You'd think Two might have noticed.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Majorian posted:

Okay, but why are you focusing on that anyway, instead of the deconstruction of the Doctor as a character, and his relationship with humanity? Which is the freaking point of the episode.
But there are a million and one ways to tell a story of "the Doctor forces Clara to make a moral decision of great importance to humanity on her own without his help, and she resents it" without ridiculous bullshit that makes astronomers cry and six-year-olds shake their heads and go "Hang on a minute, eggs don't work that way..." Because the situation ultimately turned out to be so ludicrous (and so heavily weighted in favour of the audience identification characters), it rendered the supposed moral dilemma a joke.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

RodShaft posted:

I felt like Jenna's 180 at the end wasn't earned. Not the fault of the writer. there was some really good bits leading up to it, I just think it was too soon.
It also wasn't very subtle. "Is that why you do what you do? It's an addiction?" [30 seconds later] "Okay, I've just lied to my boyfriend and justified it to myself so that I can keep on doing it! Nothing bad can come of this!" [manic smile]

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I was on that street leading to St Paul's last weekend (with no idea it was going to feature in the show; I was more stoked about seeing a place called Knightrider Street), and took a couple of photos. Not a red phone box in sight...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Antti posted:

Oh yeah, I definitely expected them to emerge not into London, but from the Master's TARDIS, since I reasoned one place the Nethersphere could fit into easily would be a TARDIS.

Although that would have meant materializing into the Master's TARDIS with the Doctor's TARDIS and I have a recollection that that's established as being a Never Cross the Streams thing to do.

Edit: I looked this up and looks like I indeed need to watch Logopolis :v:
Maybe the Mistress materialised her TARDIS around St Paul's Cathedral...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gaz-L posted:

There's a very clear attempt to homage Pertwee's era over the last year or two. The Master being the main villain, the return of UNIT with a Lethbridge-Stewart in charge, Capaldi's overall look and approach. And the original seasons 7 and 8 pretty much WERE pitched at adults. They were going for the 20-somethings that were watching The Avengers and such.
I've started a rewatch of the Pertwee years - currently up to The Ambassadors... OF DEATH! (twang) - and bar the odd comedic bit (the post-regeneration stuff at the hospital, the TARDIS console making Three and Liz time-jump) everything's played completely straight and seriously in the same way as Doomwatch or something. It's actually quite refreshing!

TA... OD!(t) was charmingly naive with its ideas that Britain would not only have its own manned space programme, but be landing astronauts on Mars, in 1970's very near future, though. Bless it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So we found out what happened to Dodo, anyway: she became a funeral director!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So which Cyberman was Steve Jobs?

After watching Pertwee's first season, it's almost reassuring that UNIT troops are as incompetent as ever. In The Ambassadors Of Twang they're mown down en masse by Cockney street thugs, and here we have a pair of guards standing two feet from the Master completely failing to react as she removes her handcuffs, threatens Osgood, then makes a big show of escaping before disintegrating them.

So anyway, Series 8. Three good, five okay and four terrible episodes. Par for the course, but nobody will ever agree which stories were which.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Lipset and Rock On posted:

Yes, I am sperging over the realistic portrayal of public transport in a TV show where an alien travels in time in a blue box.
I was distracted to an annoying degree from the otherwise very good Flatline by the presence of a long-out-of-mainline-service Diesel Multiple Unit, in 1960s British Railways livery at that. :sperg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Acne Rain posted:

How can the moon both be housing a weather control machine and a baby dragon
It also houses a teleport control centre, after humanity has lost interest in exploring space - again!

• Locked thread