Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

None of them looked, so how would we (the audience) know what it looked like?

Because the camera was pointed in the opposite direction from the way they were looking? It's not uncommon for information to be revealed to the audience that the characters don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's actually been handwaved before in-series with Gwen's ancestors in Cardiff.

The Doctor called it "spatial genetic multiplicity".

And there were both of Jessica Hynes' characters, generations apart, too.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

saucerman posted:

What battle? It is simply about pointing out problematic themes.

This pointing out has been going on for the last 5 pages.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Because of people going "I don't see the problem you should stop complaining".

Right, that would be the battle that saucerman didn't think existed.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

It's as good a thing to talk about as any, though. We've spent pages and pages discussing the design of the TARDIS interior before, it's not like discussing a particular script quirk of season 8 is particularly stupid or offensive, regardless of whether it engenders disagreement.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be talked about, I'm just saying don't pretend that it hasn't been an ongoing back and forth for the past 5 pages.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ludicro posted:

Yeah I've seen people commenting that Storm Warning needs to be listened to first before, sounds like I might have to take the plunge.

I disagree that Storm Warning needs to be listened to before Chimes. It introduces the companion, but you're not going to be really missing any vital information if you listen to Chimes of Midnight first (as I did).

I'm glad you're getting Jubilee, and I definitely nth the nominations for Chimes of Midnight and The Holy Terror.

Bicyclops posted:

Storm Warning, though flawed, introduces you to some stuff you have to understand before listening to Chimes.

Just out of curiosity, could you tell me in spoilers what you think needs to be introduced before listening to Chimes?

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 15, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Astroman posted:

:eng101: One note though: Metacrises was NOT the extra regeneration. The 10-2 Doctor is the Doctor who looks like 10 who regenerated after he was shot by the Dalek. He put some of his regeneration energy (the part which gives him a new face/body) into his hand, which when touched by Donna grew into a human Doctor, like a worm tail regrowing a body and head.

So the technical order of bodies is:

8-McGann
9-Hurt
10-Eccleston
11-Tennant
12-Another Tennant
\____________________________Metacrisis Human Doctor
13-Smith
14-Capaldi

Maybe I'm kind of confused about what you're saying here, but... I just watched these episodes the other day, metacrisis human Doctor and 10-2 are the same person.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jsor posted:

10-2 is the human doctor, yes. I consider Time-Lord 10 (post-metacrisis) and Human 10 (10-2), and to a lesser degree Doctor Donna as part of the "same regeneration." It's just easier to refer to 10-2 as the "extra regeneration" even though technically the "regenerated form" was the Time Lord body because 10-2 is the most obvious, visible change brought about by the regeneration.

Ohh, this might have cleared up my confusion, but now I disagree with what was being said! I don't think using his regeneration energy just to heal his wounds is the same thing as regenerating into himself, the regeneration part of the energy was used up creating 10-2.

Although it's been awhile since I watched Smith's explanation of his regenerations in Time of the Doctor.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Astroman posted:

There was a whole new regeneration after the Dalek shot, from Journey's End through the Specials it's an entirely new Doctor, he just kept the same form.

What are you basing this on? I think there are just 2. He specifically chose to vent the regeneration energy into his severed hand to avoid regenerating himself.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I just checked The Time of the Doctor, I'm guessing you're basing it on this line? "Well, number 10 once regenerated and kept the same face. I had vanity issues at the time." Pre-edit: Yeah, just saw your post. I still disagree...

I think he's just simplifying things, instead of saying "Number 10 once started to regenerate, but didn't want to change, so vented his energy into a hand and grew a duplicate that is now in another dimension."

In Journey's End, he says "Used the regeneration energy to heal myself, and as soon as that was done, I didn't need to change! I didn't want to, why would I? Look at me! So, to stop the energy going all the way, I siphoned all the rest into a handy nearby receptacle!"

He started to regenerate, and a regeneration was used up, but it was used up on the hand, not on himself, he stopped it before he himself regenerated.

Note: Matt Smith also used regeneration energy to heal River Song in The Angels Take Manhattan, and that didn't count towards his regenerations.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 16, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

But when you continuously make arguments that this conversation shouldn't take place, you point out exactly why it should. Most people don't think about the assumptions, and confronting them is so terrifying for some that even pointing them out causes five pages of vitriol in an otherwise usually pretty chill thread, comparatively speaking.

It's very sad, and I'm glad it's happening, but I wish everybody (myself included, mind. I'm not special) could have any kind of discourse about topics like this without it devolving into a shouting match at Parliament.

I think you're massively exaggerating things/perceiving them weirdly. I didn't see any vitriol, mostly just exasperation with the topic going on and on and on.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 16, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

No. It's just as good of a discussion as anything else that has taken this many posts, of which there are many.

Good luck finding an example of a discussion that went on for 12 pages (out of 19) of the same people posting about it without others complaining.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jsor posted:

Without getting into a debate about how the Scottish should vote, if they voted yes, what would it mean for Capaldi? Would it make it difficult for the BBC to renew his contract?

He lives in London, for whatever that may be worth.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I really, really, don't know what went wrong, though if I was to throw out a guess; Sherlock.

Moffat has gone down hill in every aspect of his show running since then and his flaws show through more starkly because he's no longer hitting such amazing heights in between them.

Sherlock premiered only 3 months after Moffat's first season running Doctor Who did...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

This is. Really not very Who. Tone-wise, I mean.

Since when does Who have a consistent tone?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ha, I have that shirt, it makes me happy knowing that Paul McGann liked it. :)

You should send that picture to the designer, Zerobriant, if you haven't!

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 21, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Teek posted:

So did the Doctor's delivery of the Pisa joke read to anyone else like it was harkening back to the Fourth Doctor specifically? I thought it was a nice throwback if so, since Capaldi is a big Tom Baker fan.

Capaldi's been reminding me of the Fourth Doctor since the very beginning of Deep Breath... but honestly, I think it's largely just the similarly low timbre of his voice that gives me that impression.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TL posted:

I didn't hate this episode, didn't love it, it was just kind of there. Capaldi is amazing, and I like Twelve more and more with each passing episode. That said, there's one aspect to his Doctor that is bothering me: the whole "hating the Architect" thing illustrates something that I think his been an underlying theme this year, which is the Doctor's apparent self loathing. That seems a little jarring to me, especially coming on the heels of Eleven, who seemed to mostly be at peace with himself and his place in the universe: "I will always remember when the Doctor was me" indicated to me a degree of inner peace that seems to have been lost.

Except 11 knew that the Dream Lord was an aspect of himself because nobody else in the universe hates him as much as himself.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

The political cartoons thread doesn't understand weathervanes and has a comical and embarrassing debate when they appear in a political cartoon.

What is there not to get about/to debate about a weathervane? :confused:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

RodShaft posted:

Alright, looks like I'm going to have another 12ish hour drive, so I'm down for some more audio recommendations.

I enjoyed the others well enough. I was fairly impressed with the complexity of the stories without a narrator. I'm used to audio books and the radio plays I've listened to are the Lord of the Rings, and the Hitchhikers Guide series which I believe both have narrators. So it was pretty neat having the doctor explain what's happening to the audience stand-in characters.

I definitely recommend Chimes of Midnight and Spare Parts, if you didn't get those in the first batch!

I'd also personally recommend LIVE 34, but I know other people in this thread said that it's among their least favourites, so... your mileage may vary.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Potsticker posted:

LIVE 34 has an interesting narrative style that I liked, but skipping the big climax at the end and just having the characters talk about it afterwards was really terrible.

I think it works for me because the whole thing is about hearing it via these public broadcasts, and enough of the investigation has been set up by then through the investigative journalism that I find it easy to believe that a compelling public speech could be enough to uncover the administration's cover-up. It fits the medium and the themes of the story.

Obviously show don't tell is usually a better rule, but I don't know, it just really works for me in this instance.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

josh04 posted:

The pattern that's emerging is that Doctor Who fans have trouble distinguishing between women in positions of power.

Care to elaborate on what their different characters/characteristics are?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

josh04 posted:

They have an age spread across 18 years, for one.

You'd think they'd have very different characterization, then! Go on.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

josh04 posted:

Ms Delphox was more aloof and distant - barely a villain, all said and done. Maybe a villain from an Indiana Jones film. When confronted she just left. Kinda hard to image Kovarian doing that.

Well, to be fair, it depends on which Ms Delphox we're talking about. One fought all the way up until she was incinerated. But point taken on the rest. Maybe someone else can elaborate on what people find similar about them?

Also, it occurs to me, the actual Ms Delphox kind of was a creepy, murderous fanatic, just in a different way... she was incinerating her clones without a second thought and imprisoning the last two creatures of a species to further the bank that she wasted her life running.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 24, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Moffat posted:

I like that Helen Mirren has been saying the next doctor should be a woman. I would like to go on record and say that the queen should be played by a man.

Maybe he actually meant this, and had John Noble in mind:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Pizdec posted:

So I'm trying to work out how exactly people are seeing the exact same patterns and decrying "lazy writing" in regards to one set, and "awful sexism" in regards to the other.

I think part of the issue might be that given some of the things he's said outside of the show... like what Bicyclops posted above, but there's more beyond those two... a lot of people aren't willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Edit: nvm!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Burkion posted:

If that's related to mine, yeah, gently caress I don't know. I guess I was so flabbergasted by lumping her in as a villain, and then it being so loving late. Still doesn't explain it though. I think that's enough Who forum for me tonight.

No, I read UNIT lady, and was thinking it was the woman from Army of Ghosts/Doomsday... but then I realized that woman is with Torchwood, not UNIT. I was having my own brain problems. Haha.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ProfessorLoomis posted:

You're going up against a viscous hive-mind in this thread.

Did somebody say viscous hive-mind?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jsor posted:

("viscous hivemind" less so, you usually don't want your hiveminds thick and gloopy)

I still like my Nestene Consciousness joke

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I just found something worth sharing that I'd mentioned in an earlier thread... there's a Doctor Who parody in a 1965 episode of I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again called "Doctor Why and the Thing". (Skip to 12:50)
(I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again had some of the pre-Monty Python members involved, John Cleese, Eric Idle, and Graham Chapman, as well as all 3 of the eventual Goodies.)
I found it pretty funny, and it's interesting hearing a parody of Doctor Who that is contemporary with the First Doctor!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

the Daleks don't remember The Doctor. Except when they do.

When have they remembered the Doctor since losing their memory of him? I don't think they have.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Question for the Big Finish fans... what are some of your favourite deeper cuts from the BF catalog? Not the generally accepted best or most interesting stories, but ones that really entertained you or made you smile or that you appreciated for trying something new.

(I've listened to most of the more well-known ones, looking for some interesting hidden gems now!)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Thanks for all of the recommendations! :)

LIVE 34 is one of my favourites, it's one that I've listened to a few times. Cobwebs, too, I listened to that one right after watching through Davison's TV run for the first time, and loved it. And I've also heard and quite enjoyed The Fourth Wall, Robophobia, and Legend of the Cybermen... but aside from those ones, I don't think I've heard any of the other recommendations, so I should be set for awhile now! :)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 1, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

So does anybody know a good place to watch Classic Who? I wanted to start getting into the older archives and get a feel for Doctors 1-7 but Netflix only has 18 of the old serials (all 4 parts for each) and the selection seems a bit abysmal.

Dailymotion seems to have a lot of serials! I watched The Ambassadors... (TWANG) OF DEATH! there, recently.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Cleretic posted:

So my dad found out that some esoteric channel somewhere in our cable package is airing the second Peter Cushing Who movie tomorrow night.

Does anyone here know if it's worth watching, in either a good or bad way?

I enjoyed the Peter Cushing ones, although admittedly I watched them both with the aid of Rifftrax.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

The director for those episodes and Rose was an idiot and intentionally directed them like a CBBC series. Eccleston had him fired or something. Good for Eccleston.

The farting is part of the script, though...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

It's not just that it's flagrantly wrong to me, it's that they used it as a plot point and then were horribly wrong about it. It's key to the episode that the moon is getting more massive. And it's key to the episode that the moon is an egg. You can go around breaking all the laws of time physics all you want until you start contradicting yourself with your plot points. And it gets worse when you try to use the physics that you're breaking as a plot point.

So you're basing your opinion on how giant space dragon eggs would function based solely on how eggs work here on Earth?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Even when RTD wrote a bad character their actions and reactions felt natural, and built off events we had seen before,

I feel like you need to rewatch the RTD era. Seriously, saying that his bad characters felt "natural"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

That's not what I said. I said that there actions and reactions felt natural.

There is no difference in meaning there. Actions and reactions define characters.

• Locked thread