Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Cojawfee posted:

People keep forgetting we actually saw the thing under the blanket and it was cg and clearly not human.

I am personally hand waving this away as the imagination of the three of them assuming it's a monster. None of them looked, so how would we (the audience) know what it looked like?

Also, Danny pinks noticing "where is your coat? When you left you were wearing your coat." was a fun reference :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Mattd1zzl3 posted:

I am personally hand waving this away as the imagination of the three of them assuming it's a monster. None of them looked, so how would we (the audience) know what it looked like?

How do we know what the ship in Girl in the Fireplace is called?

Obviously guys, i dont think its an overarching rule in doctor who that the audience only knows what the cast can see, but considering the episode is about fear of the unknown, and the doctor who made a big deal out of turning away from the creature, showing on camera what "we" cannot see as monstrous and grotesque fits with the theme of the episode really well, even if we accept that the monster never existed. I choose to think the monster depicted in child pinks bedroom was the fear and imagination of the cast made real. I admitted from the start that i made this up wholecloth, but for me it is the most satisfying answer. This need not establish a precedent that nothing the cast does not see is not known by us.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

(and invisible high heels for two of em)

Hah, once you posted this i looked back at the image and at least 1 of the men, and maybe one more are also depicted with invisible heels. The human male is the most obvious

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 15, 2014

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I have a fun question: What if matt smith wasnt shown the door last year, what if he was wrapping up his fourth season on the show and rumors were floating around that, No, he wouldnt be leaving before his fifth. If he had stuck around longer than any newwho doctor and was gunning hard for Tom Bakers longevity record: Would you be annoyed? Would he be wearing thin at this point? Were the fevered cries in 2010 of "He can stay for a million years" actually going to have legs?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I maintain to this day that Smiths half-seasons were the "half life 2, Episode 1/2" of television.

Smaller projects, Delivered more cheaply and more quickly. Only they forgot two of those bits. "You'll never need to wait more than a few weeks for new 'Who'", Moffat said at the time (And i'm a massive moffat fan)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Season 5-6's "Tardis and lightning" intro stands out as the best for me.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I understand moffat effecting canon is a sore subject here, but i just thought of "Listen" one last time, and i think it answers a long running question of doctor who, dating even back to the classic series. That i think that it makes clear (combined with showing the helpless populace in "Time of the doctor") that not all people who live in gallifrey are time lords, being that the adults who visit the doctor in the barn question his ability to "become" a time lord at a later time. This means that somewhere on the planet there must be at least a portion of the population that doesnt make the cut, and has to have some other title and occupation.

I am satisfied with this, as i always preferred the concept that time lords were specially trained, handpicked operatives of gallifrey's government, and not just a whole society of immortal time travellers. Even if we accept that "The doctor" was an average student (and a deserter), who doesnt share the attitude of the other time lords we encounter, it does seem that he rose to an elite position within the society at some point in his past.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm not sure what you've been "right" or "wrong" ABOUT. I don't think I've yet raised any disagreement with you on any matter other than your petty insults. What are your actual POSITIONS, other than "jokes about posters"? What "substantive comments" do you think I ought to address?

DoctorWhat, the best thing about you is that your positions, and your face both make you the most punchable forums member in the doctor who series 8 (34) thread. Thanks to your clown outfit avatar i can just imagine assaulting you myself.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Best episode of the season for sure, and in my top few in the history of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
What i'd really like to see (hoping jerusalem has some kind of catalog) is the .gif of "The flip" (Which was goofy but didnt really bother me) right next to Rory Ponds famous "The slide" from "Asylum of the daleks". (You know, for contrast or something)

• Locked thread