Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You're watching the wrong show if you don't want comedy elements and cheesiness.

So this post actually has a bit of content, I'm going to say I enjoyed the pieces of foreshadowing disguised as jokes. The coffee ~mysteriously disappearing~ and turning out to be the Doctor taking it, much like the mysterious spookiness in this episode was similarly nothing. As well as that, the Doctor looking for Wally in a book where he doesn't exist, just as he was looking for a monster that didn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Speaking of the War Doctor and John Hurt's incredible performance, I decided to re-watch the 50th. One of the best episodes ever made, I still think. Does anybody know of a wallpaper version of all the Doctors looking up at Gallifrey?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's also pretty clear that he does have an actual respect for Clara despite his grumpy insults. He asks her if he is a good man, because hers is an opinion that he trusts. He offers to take her wherever she pleases (even if he doesn't think the person she wants to see is real). There's also the whole "...Do I really not pay you?" stuff. He also believed she was capable of holding her own against the Halfman when he 'abandoned' her, because when there was a situation when he considered her in actual danger at the end of everything, he commanded her back onto the TARDIS.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 15, 2014

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Spatula City posted:

I dunno, apparently thinking Listen is a great episode is watching Doctor Who badly, going by the general reactions of most people here.

The general reactions seemed pretty positive though?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't think I could have imagined any of those previous Doctors offering a suicide device as an option.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wow, I really liked this episode. I agree that the alien threat was weak, but it wasn't the point of the episode. I really think Capaldi is going to end up being -my- Doctor, replacing David Tennant because all his performances are absolutely amazing. Also echoing the love for Danny Pink's exaggerated SAH YES SAH performance.

Something I noticed is that it's going for the same plot element that the Stolen Earth/Journey's End two-parter used, with the Doctor forging people into soldiers. Except doing it much better.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I figured its targetting systems were all hosed up from so long being dormant, hence why it was an awful shot.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The thing that bothers me the most about this episode even more than the impossibilities of the egg being laid immediately was the fact that if they let the bombs go off, the Doctor would have let them be vapourised. While I've been enjoying the harsher Doctor that Peter Capaldi portrays, that is just too far.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Doctor's ending monologue would have been so much better if instead of "Humanity decided to free the space dragon", he acknowledged the decision to kill it and went with someone along the lines of "Humanity tried to end the new life, but instead saw so much more than they had concieved it to be." Except better written than what I threw together at midnight.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Senor Tron posted:

Lots of Companions seem largely the same when they leave the Doctor as when they first meet him, despite the amazing things they witness. One of the best things about Donna is how you can tell even early on that when she and the Doctor eventually part she will be a radically different and better person for her travels with him.

From Oxxidation's review thread.

EDIT: Beaten.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That just replaced Into the Dalek as my favourite episode of the season, and may very well be one of my favourite episodes of the revival. It was just incredibly good in every way.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-OTYT02W7E

Here's a full version of Don't Stop Me Now by Foxes and it's magical. There's also some very brief clips of what seem to be future episodes so spoiler warning I guess?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The only time where Capaldi has gone beyond the bounds of the role of the Doctor to me was in Kill the Moon. The fact that the episode after that he pulls off one of the most Doctorly stunts I have ever seen on the show completely pushed that aside though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'd say the quality skyrocketed as soon as they entered the restaraunt because that scene was fantastic.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jerusalem posted:

I had to cut down the gif for time, but I liked in that giant hand scene that for quite awhile as they're chatting you can see it slowly growing out of the roof before it launches itself at the community worker.

When I saw that, I thought it was a 2D shadow growing on the wall, so I was tensing for something bad to happen. Even so, I still jumped when that turned out to be their first 3D assault. With the monsters being established as being disturbing and powerful but limited by their lack of a third dimension, them suddenly upping the ante by adding a third made for an excellent "poo poo just got real" moment.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oxx said that Occ just drive-bys and drops gifs without reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I literally just finished watching The World's End for the first time a few minutes ago (and I had no idea this discussion was going on in this thread until just now either :aaa:). I have to say, it's a hell of a movie if you know absolutely nothing about it going in. It almost, almost felt like a Cybermen story only way better than any actual Cybermen story we're ever likely to get.

I once managed to get a friend who knew absolutely nothing about the movie to watch it with me. Her reaction when everything went to hell was beautiful.

• Locked thread