Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm interested to see all of your reactions to one aspect of this episode in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

I'm not saying anything about episode 5.

I'm talking about the fact that in the rough cut for Into the Dalek, Rusty blew itself up at the end, which just kind of made everything pointless. One of the big points I give to the episode is leaving Rusty alive so he can come back in the future!

Like Jenny! Who Moffat specifically asked to be left alive so she could...

...not ever return I guess.

I wonder what happened to her? I'm surprised she didn't get a tie in novel or reappear. Maybe one day.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Well, they edited out the most offensively stupid part at least.

But, seriously, gently caress a Doctor origin story.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

So if we accept that "Wally" under the bedsheet really was just a kid (who must have sat in his bedroom afterwards REALLY confused by the party going on at Rupert's) then is this the first episode of the revival to NOT feature an alien/monster/creature?

Yes, it is.

Also, I done goofed and they did leave in the bit I really disliked - iPlayer just skipped for me. And it's Clara leaving the little toy soldier with no gun for the young Doctor. In the script it's described as her "leaving him a gift, a soldier without a gun guarding all the stars" and is so implicitly meant to be an origin story like it was to Danny.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

God drat that was rubbish. Moffat should be sacked if he won't leave of his own accord.

He's staying for at least one more season.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Like, is there any actual reason for Clara to not just come out and say she's dating Pink?

It's because she's still romantically interested in the Doctor and he is in her. She's being shady about the date to leave the door open for her and the Doctor. He makes remarks about her looks because he's teasing her for attention. The script makes this a lot more clear.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Potsticker posted:

Speaking of, does the spoiler thread know the truth about Missy's identity? Because if so I'm going to go spoil myself.

No, but we have some pretty big pieces of the puzzle and know a massive spoiler about the finale that semi-relates to her.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

HD DAD posted:

For the life of me, I can't understand why Moffat didn't throw Mels into the picture earlier in the season. Like, if you are going to pull the X character was Y all along! trick, don't introduce them in the same episode. I will forgive a lot of what some might classify as bad writing, but jesus christ that was inexcusable.

Really he should've introduced her in Eleventh Hour if he had the hindsight to do so.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

I know it's not possible, but it really does feel like he went "Holy poo poo I JUST realized something that I could do that'd shut up all of those whiner whiney whiner babies about how "growing up with her isn't the same as raising her" the tossers. They'll NEVER suspect this amazing twist!"

Honestly I'm surprised, and disappointed that the Angels in Manhattan didn't end with Amy and Rory meeting the young River Song wandering the streets after having regenerated and actually getting to raise her.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

In Eleven's first episode his screwdriver gets destroyed and he gets a replacement fabricated by the TARDIS. I think it's easier to assume that the internal memory and software back up via 'cloud' technology while the external fabrication can be destroyed/disposed/changed easily.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

adhuin posted:

Apparently First season was the worst season of New Doctor Who.
Then we got to second season and it was the worst season too.
Now comes the Third and the final worst season.. until it is time for toxx to review the fourth one.

All of the episodes are the worst episode.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The Big Bang really is pretty incredible. It's everything a Moffat episode tries to be and, now, more often than not fails to be. Matt Smith was on top form, portraying a version of his Doctor I feel didn't really show up again after that first season with him, and the non-linear story telling actually makes sense given the state of the universe; why Moffat continued to use this trick after this episode is beyond me.

I mean, the promise at the end of the episode of a larger mystery is amazing, and it's such a shame it paid off so poorly.

I really, really, don't know what went wrong, though if I was to throw out a guess; Sherlock.

Moffat has gone down hill in every aspect of his show running since then and his flaws show through more starkly because he's no longer hitting such amazing heights in between them.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

Sherlock premiered only 3 months after Moffat's first season running Doctor Who did...

Yes, but the rough production history of Sherlock meant that he didn't start having to simultaneously run both of them until after the first season of Doctor Who.

The Sherlock pilot was reshot entirely for example, and the writers/episodes were locked as early as 2008.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also at one point he apparently turned down a date in favour of inventing a new type of screwdriver, which really says it all about his priorities.

Except the Doctor's wording implies it was a date in his eyes, so he clearly has a competitive streak with Danny, which is actually the exact wording the script uses.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

computer parts posted:

Because it's the exact opposite of how you should be reading it. They made a big deal in Deep Breath about how the Doctor looked young, but he was really this nigh ancient creature and finally he looks it. That's true, but the opposite is also true - Twelve is an old(er) man, but he's also a child. He's only existed for a few weeks/months, and the first person he saw in this form -Clara - is his mother figure.

Capaldi's not acting like a dad that doesn't understand his daughter, he's acting like a child that wants his mom all to himself but doesn't really value her when he has her.

Nope, he's acting like a child who calls the girl he fancies mean names.

If it wasn't a date he would've said "How can a date beat that" but he doesn't, he says "Beat that for a date". He clearly views what he's doing with Clara as dating, he says so himself in the dialogue and the script gives Capaldi the direction to act jealous and competitive when he delivers the line.

Twelve is in love with Clara.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

But the overall opinion of this season has been really positive in the thread? :iiam:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Potsticker posted:

I honestly don't know how you could read the reactions to the last four episodes and think that there was any sort of hivemind, unless people not arguing back and forth forever constitutes some sort of agreement? From what I see, when people disagree about most things there's a lot more just accepting a difference in opinion and moving on.

Yeah, this is one of the most pleasant threads on the forums, and that's coming from someone who usually has outspoken views.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

There's not room for yet another Six-related avatar on these forums, Jakiri.

Technically yours isn't one.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

True - you and I've got avatars of our IRL selves instead.

Yeah, but I'm less embarrassed by mine.

I'm joking. Hugs.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

Oh, it looks like the show's on late tonight (20:30). And Peter Capaldi was on the Graham Norton Show last night, apparently.

Yep, and it turns out the Producers of the original series hated him for writing in all the time and being a massive loving nerd.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I actually think it was way better than the one on TV.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

That was a good comedy episode, but the drama didn't land for me at all.

Thought it was interesting that they confirmed this all thing as a The Thick of It spin-off.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

If we were to fan wank why the Doctor hates soldiers so much now I'd say it's because the recent meeting with War and the imminent return of Gallifrey remind him of when he used to be a commander and send hundreds to their deaths. They even directly reference the War Doctor's best line when Danny says soldiers save people from fires while the Doctor lights them.

"Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

I wonder if the Clara teaching thing is supposed to reference the Doctor's first companions.

She's teaching at the same school they worked at and the reason the alien robot was there this episode was the high amount of TARDIS landings over the many years.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Turns out the Master was just trying to settle in for the night to watch the cricket and maybe have some lovely biscuits with his cup of tea.

This made me grin like mad. I love this thread.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

remusclaw posted:

I think one of the interesting things about Capaldi Doc is that he isn't the point of view character. In the new series ever since Tennant took over the role, the pov has been pretty exclusively with the Doctor, and going back to following the companion around instead of the Doctor is weirding some people out it seems.

Really the Doctor has only been the point of view character since sometime in Matt Smiths second season.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Are they doing anything to mark the new opening or just business as usual with some new exhibits?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Bronze TARDIS control room still lives :allears:.

Best control room. Putting some shelves in the current one didn't make it any less poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Do you have the colour version of this too?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I'm bored of this season and Capaldi already. Please gently caress off Moffat.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BSam posted:

No, but that's not what I said, they were all better than pretty good (yes after the first half of the first episode).

But I'll concede this one was only 'pretty good'.

We have one average episode and this is your reaction? Calm down, it's just a tv show.

I've mostly kept quiet this season because my negative opinions upset people, but I've found the last season and this half of one below average. There's none of the excitement and freshness of a new Doctor here for me. I'm not invested in Capaldi at all because I really don't get what they are trying to accomplish with his Doctor. He's just not interesting enough at the moment to justify the drastic shift to arsehole.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I couldn't give a poo poo about Clara's drama with the Doctor so everything revolving around it this season has been loving dire. Mainly because whenever she's on screen with Danny they appear to be written as two mentally disabled people in an after school sitcom. I'm sorry guys but I much prefered the more grounded, kitchen sink drama of RTD's companions to the after thought that was Amy/Rory or the sitcom that is Clara's.

I thought the moon looked good though this episode. It was one of the few this season where it wasn't evident that were one more budget cut away from designing alien backdrops with fuzzy felt.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I didn't get this feeling from any of the previous episodes (Robot of Sherwood had it a bit, I guess), but it's a bit funny that you thought the moon was the best-looking setting of the season. The moon is notoriously easy to pull off, since it's just grey rocks.

The BBC Quarry never fails, I suppose.

They went to Lanzarote to film, so it's a little more than a quarry, and they did a good job with the colour correction/sky replacement too. Even the shots of the bases/space shuttle looked good. Unlike the spaceships in Dalek or the interior of the Dalek itself in that episode where composite lines were visible through out.

And the robot from last episode was just inexcusably bad.

Yeah, it's easier to do the moon than a Dalek interior, but it's a professional TV show with a massive budget.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BSam posted:

On the other hand we know Moffatt isn't someone who is able to use a budget to it's best effect.

This is true, which is another reason why I was impressed this episode.

The Teller was also an amazing costume, but nearly everything else from that episode was just passable.

Also, I don't think it helps that I'm able to recognize a lot of the stock effects they use from working in the industry. For example the time vortex portal they used last episode to trap the robot.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

You know what my other beef with this episode is? The Doctor's shirt. Good God, that's a hideous shirt.

Sort it out, Doctor.

The new spacesuits looked amazing though.

And yeah, the new costume is okay, it's not as good as it looked in the promo pictures because whatever grading they are applying to the image washes it out too much and makes the darker colours look a little muddy.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm glad they've finally got some new stock spacesuits that aren't being reused from The Impossible Planet. It kind of made sense for the Doctor to keep his around (and the fact he reused it in Hide was a nice touch), but the fact he suddenly had abunch of them was a bit weird. Whatever happened to the suits from Silence in the Library?

They have one on display in Cardiff. Also, the suit that Matt Smith wore for the opening of The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe hasn't been seen again.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Plavski posted:

What would that entail?

Episodes that matched the pacing of his performance would be a nice step. Everything is still super fast and flashy while Capaldi is playing a slower more calculating Doctor. The clash just makes him seem old and fragile though.

At the start of the season Capaldi said this season would see the Doctor examine his moral code and wether adherence to it really matches the spirit of it.

It's it wrong to wipe out the Dalek's and become like them in doing so? Etc.

But we've none of that really, just the Doctor being an old angry man while his grand daughter tells him it's not PC to call black people PE teachers. How loving interesting Doctor Who.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Frankly, I think every new Doctor should come with a new showrunner, because every new incarnation is really a new interpretation of this, quite literally, timeless character.

Sadly he's going to be around here for years yet. He's already planned the on going story until the end of next year at least. Honestly I can't see him stepping down until Capaldi does.

Also, for all the talk of Capaldi being a more alien, darker Doctor he just comes across like a racist grandad. Smith on the other hand actually was a more alien, darker Doctor.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 5, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Was that the same space dragon they used to save the United Kingdom when humans abandon the earth?

No. That was a space whale, this is a space butterfly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

Exactly as JaKiri said-the Doctor personally hosed over a guy's history, subverted him as a human being and the choices he made, because he did not agree with him. He constantly hosed with what SHOULD have been a fixed point in time, to the point where he BROUGHT A SECOND INSTANCE OF THE SAME PERSON INTO CONTACT, PHYSICAL CONTACT, WITH THEMSELF.

It flies in the face of whatever rules we've had about Time Travel so hard, and is frankly horrifying that the Doctor would do this and utterly moronic that the Doctor would introduce forced drama to SUCH a level by not taking the sick girl to a hospital at ANY point instead of snogging Marilyn Monroe.

See Eleven was a better exploration of the darker, colder Doctor than this racist grandpa poo poo Capaldi is being given to work with.

• Locked thread