Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
This was a loving great episode. I was hoping we'd eventually get an episode where there wasn't actually a monster, and here it is!
I guess I understand some people being angry about Clara meeting potentially the Doctor as a child, because you love the character so much that you're hyperprotective of anything that could remotely be perceived to violate how you see him.

Whatever. This is a great episode, the third good one of the season, and probably easily going to jump on my top ten. In my book the season's batting 3.5/4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I dunno, apparently thinking Listen is a great episode is watching Doctor Who badly, going by the general reactions of most people here.
But I haven't actually heard many non-nitpick criticisms, with the most legitimate gripe being the Doctor continually putting Clara down (that IS definitely a problem, although at the moment the Doctor is a tremendous rear end in a top hat). Well, also the army man is too loving on the nose, yeah.
But I reserve the right to think that anyone unhappy about there potentially not being a monster in Listen, or convinced there was one, is a gigantic crankypants. :colbert:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Only guesses I've seen are a Tardis, The Master, newly-regenerated River Song, the Time Lady, and some villain from the classic days.

I really don't want any of those things, but if it has to be one of them, it'd better be The Master.

An evil Clara iteration is another guess. And another guess is that she's another stable time loop.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

I hate everything new and alternatively everything old.

Wait, no. Let me try that again.

I love the clocks, personally. They match the much more controlled and less frenetic TARDIS piloting style of Twelve, so it makes sense to have clockwork instead of the chaos of the Time Vortex.

Also clocks rule :3:

I like that interpretation. In the past series, the TARDIS was thrown around the chaos because that could happen at any time. But Twelve so far has demonstrated remarkable levels of control of the TARDIS. He materialized someone into the TARDIS, found Robin Hood, and has made the TARDIS appear in some absurdly small places. Also there's a mechanical theme to this series so far.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, I'd agree with this. Broadly speaking, I'd put it like this -

Series 1 - very good
Series 2- very bad (probably worst series of revival)
Series 3- half good, half bad
Series 4 - a bit good, mostly bad
Specials - all bad (yes, even WoM)
Series 5 - best so far
Series 6 - massive highs but far worse lows
Series 7 - deeply mediocre
Series 8 - not very good so far

I guess I must be coming from a different perspective because I've never seen any Who but the revival (will rectify that soon).

But here's my reckoning

Series 1 - garbage except for Dalek, Father's Day, The Empty Child, and The Doctor Dances
Series 2 - very not good. Except Impossible Planet/Satan Pit and Girl in the Fireplace. And of course Daleks owning the Cybermen
Series 3 - decidedly mixed, but better than the previous two, assuming you just skip the Daleks in Manhattan two-parter. There's no reason for anyone to subject themselves to that outside a toxx. And then, of course, it legendarily shits the bed at the end.
Series 4 - mostly terrific
Specials - I only saw Waters of Mars and The End of Time. WOM is terrific, and End of Time is End of Time. Wilf is great, though.
Series 5 - near perfect, except for Cold Blood, but even that's better than a lot of Davies episodes.
Series 6.0 - It's...okay.
Series 6.5 - aaaaaaaaaaaaah.
Series 7.0 - That sure was five episodes that happened. None were bad. None were great. Goodbye Amy and Rory. and hopefully River.
Series 7.5 - Really solid, IMO; although Journey to the Center of the TARDIS is weirdly racist, and Nightmare in Silver is not as good as it could be, and I wasn't fond of The Name of the Doctor. But, I dunno, Hide, Cold War, and The Crimson Horror might all be in my top ten favorite episodes.
Series 8 - Really rad so far. Loving it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I think they've done an admirable job so far cutting the ties. Deep Breath featured Capaldi at first doing a lot of Smithing, and then it just stops, and he settles down. And while I can sort of see an Into the Dalek with Smith, Robots of Sherwood would be radically different, and Listen just wouldn't have happened.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

The season long arc is not very well handled for a variety of reasons, one of which is being the first split-season which dramatically hosed with the pacing. It also marks the point for a lot of viewers where Moffat's verbalized thoughts (which I try to avoid reading) on how he wanted to run the show either fell flat or actively horrified them.

But it also has some of the best individual episodes of the entire revival - like, not just really really good but outright fantastic episodes.

Which ones? I'm going to assume The Doctor's Wife, The Rebel Flesh, The Almost People, The Girl Who Waited, and The God Complex, right?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I understand moffat effecting canon is a sore subject here, but i just thought of "Listen" one last time, and i think it answers a long running question of doctor who, dating even back to the classic series. That i think that it makes clear (combined with showing the helpless populace in "Time of the doctor") that not all people who live in gallifrey are time lords, being that the adults who visit the doctor in the barn question his ability to "become" a time lord at a later time. This means that somewhere on the planet there must be at least a portion of the population that doesnt make the cut, and has to have some other title and occupation.

I am satisfied with this, as i always preferred the concept that time lords were specially trained, handpicked operatives of gallifrey's government, and not just a whole society of immortal time travellers. Even if we accept that "The doctor" was an average student (and a deserter), who doesnt share the attitude of the other time lords we encounter, it does seem that he rose to an elite position within the society at some point in his past.

Ha, it'd be cool if he really was the last of the Time Lords, but he finds some way to rescue the normal people of Gallifrey. Although, I can't see any way Moffat doesn't shake up the status quo so that the Doctor's not the only Time Lord in the universe anymore. It just seems incredibly likely that he'll put them back into play by the end of his tenure.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Well, this was a fun episode, but I wish Clara had been given something, anything to do beyond quips and trying really hard not to think.
It did look amazing in terms of the cinematography. I mean, since Moffat's tenure started, the look of the series has gotten so much better, but Into the Dalek, Listen, and Time Heist in particular have had really solid visuals. Also the Teller was a cool beast, and I'm always a sucker for twists where the monster turns out not to be really so bad after all. :3:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I have a question for the old-timers: has the Doctor ever been so precise with the TARDIS that he could land it inside fairly small spaces the way Twelve has done multiple times? Because I don't remember him ever purposefully doing it in the revival. He just didn't have the control.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Well, Elizabeth I was played by a man in the movie Orlando.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

It's interesting how willing Moffat and Capaldi are to make the Doctor so unlikable. It stands in particular contrast to Smith's tenure, with the Doctor striving towards likability. It's quite obvious this is totally intentional on Moffat's part, but I'm not sure what his endgame is. Obviously, part of that is getting Clara to quit, because that is the obvious implication of Clara's conversation with Danny at the end, that a time will come when the Doctor does push her too far, and in keeping with her promise, she quits. The Doctor also says to Courtney he might soon have a vacancy. Might double as foreshadowing?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Loved this. Kill the Moon, Listen, and Into the Dalek, I could easily slot into my top ten favorite episodes of the modern run (I feel it necessary to mention I haven't seen anything prior to the beginning of the revival).
Only Doctor Who could have a line like "The moon is an egg!" and make it work.
Of course it's a divisive episode, and watching it I was keenly aware of the elements people would hate, and why I love those elements. The whole goddamn mission statement of this season is that conversation between Clara and Vastra, as Sandifer said. The Doctor is stripped of his artifice, of his desire to please, and his eagerness to be liked. He's temporarily lost something very important. It's a reaction to his worst excesses that takes him off in the opposite direction. This season is darker, rawer, and necessarily Clara is its protagonist for at least half the episodes so far. Some longtime fans here have been horrified by what they view as the Doctor's new cruelty, that Moffat is reshaping the Doctor into a huge rear end in a top hat. I think, for those people, this season will likely play better on a second viewing a year or two later, assuming Moffat & co. stick the landing as I believe they can (knowing as I do now that the disastrous nature of season 6 was shaped in part by production troubles). Without the benefit of knowing for sure where this is going, it does play like the Doctor has regenerated into a massive dickwad. But Moffat is a keenly self-conscious, reflexive showrunner/writer, and he seems to have a definite showrunning pattern of course correction/excess/course correction/excess. The Doctor makes a persistent mistake, and is chastened for it, and the show mirrors that in its structure. So far, Twelve is not yet his own man, but merely the shadow of Eleven, his photo negative. I have a hope that by the end of the season he comes into himself, and Clara's rebuke is an important turning point for him. But as of yet he's just course correcting for the deception and vanity of Eleven (traits best symbolized by his invoking of his own legend in The Eleventh Hour, and his lie to the old Amy in The Girl Who Waited).

more thoughts later.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

To cast "Kill the Moon" as an anti-abortion narrative (I will not loving use "pro-life" to refer to those people because by an odd coincidence they're anti-life in every other way that matters) requires some impressive mental gymnastics, or rather inattentive viewing.
We as the audience are presumed to have awe and sympathy for the new life, but also understand why it might be necessary to end it.
If I had to take away any commentary on abortion from the episode, it'd be "abortion is an act with grave ethical consequences, but nevertheless is sometimes a valid choice, and a choice a woman should have".

But yeah, no, I don't think the narrative is intentionally about that. As DoctorWhat said, it's probably something that arose accidentally, and then that theme was discovered, and the more unfortunate elements present were patched up.

It's a classic "ethical dilemma" episode. Like other episodes this season, it reuses and recontextualizes themes from past episodes, in this case most obviously "The Waters of Mars" and "The Beast Below". But the Time Lord Victorious and the Doctor who leaves Clara and Courtney to decide the creature's fate are opposites. I haven't yet entirely unpacked the connections between "Moon" and "Beast", but the act of voting in particular seems significant.

quote:

Back to Who, it's really taking a lot longer for this big plot to get going than I thought it would. Don't we usually get a big reveal around episode 6 or so? I can't recall. But all we've seen is Missy in bureaucracy afterlife, doing her thing.

Moffat seems to be taking the Rusty approach of dropping little bits every now and then, leading up to a big reveal in the second or third-to-last episode.
but anyway, the arc is more clearly than ever the relationship between the Doctor and his companion, as it is warped and maybe broken by his regeneration and subsequent personality shift. Being in this Doctor's company is like hugging a skinny, extremely bony person. You're gonna get poked, and it's not going to be as fun as you think it should be. The comparison seems especially appropriate because this Doctor dislikes hugs (very revealing, that).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Solaris Knight posted:

Oh god I started a debate by accident :ohdear:

Like I said, I love Chosen One mythology and stories, so The Other makes me appreciate the Doctor more, but I completely understand J-Ru's point that it makes the Doctor TOO special, and robs his "he could be YOU" appeal.

Huh, I feel the opposite about Chosen One narratives. I don't like them, partly for having more than a whiff of predestination, partly because they tend to be very conservative narratives even when executed by progressive writers.
The Doctor shouldn't be the reincarnation of a God, or the Destined One, or anything like that, ever. Not because "he could be you", but because what makes him special is the choices he makes, not who he is. And at the root of it, his choice to steal the TARDIS and ditch the Time Lords. The Doctor, ingrained by his training, will often insist things are fixed, and then eventually choose to go around and find another way. That was the entirety of what revival season 6 was about.
which makes this season really disturbing. I maintain this is intentional.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

wow, this is the FOURTH great episode of the season. And the same writer is doing the next episode. :allears:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

That was fantastic. Goddamn, what a season this has been so far! It's been really on point thematically, maintaining a set of consistent themes that have been woven throughout.
Also, has any noticed there's been a sudden proliferation of black side characters? It's like Moffat's responding to criticism or something. Not only that, but there's been subtle bits that could be read as critical of racist authority figures.

Every gag about the TARDIS's size cracked me up, with the sledgehammer bit the very best. And then Clara's reaction was pretty great too. And of course the Addams Family thing, that was sublimely goofy.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Subtle was probably the wrong word, yeah. :haw:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Well, that episode was certainly a gigantic creepy infodump with a couple of great reveals (okay, three, the bit where the Doctor revealed Clara hadn't actually thrown away the keys was great, too). It's hard to really evaluate it without the second part.
But Missy being the Master is adequate pay-off, I think.
I like how Missy convinced the Doctor she was a robot just for shits and giggles. :haw:
And the Doctor's reaction to the reveal was pretty much Capaldi's best acted moment so far.
The death of Danny Pink was really well done. That shot of Clara in the street panning around to see it empty with a memorial thing in the background impressed me.
Also the episode was a big SKELETON PARTY. Shame the skeletons are wearing Cybermen suits. Should've just been a bunch of evil Harryhausen style fightin' skeletons.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I don't know if anyone mentioned the best line in the episode.

I think it went something like this
Doctor - You have stairs, right?
Missy - Well, I'm not a Dalek. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

would really dig if red telephone box was the Mistress's TARDIS, just because it'd be another laugh on the Doctor. Like, the Doctor's foiled the Cybermen, and he's got UNIT with him to capture her, and she runs, and then they hear a familiar noise, and the red telephone box whooshes away. Cut to the smuggest look on Missy's face. :smug:

• Locked thread