Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I was digging the episode, but that was because I was sure there was an actual alien creature out there. I do think if they're going to do a "it's all in the Doctor's head!" ending, the way they did it is the best way they could. I would have preferred for there to be an actual creature though. The episode leaves it plausible to introduce such a creature in the future, but I doubt they will.

I agree that "invisible creature that only does things that have another explanation" is a great idea though, and it would've made for a suspenseful "we're trapped in this building and a monster is trying to kill us all" episode. Kind of a final destination-style threat. I suppose that would have been the ultimate evolution of all three concepts the Doctor put on the board: Best hunter because no one can see it, or even be convinced it exists, best defence is the same as best offence, and best hider too. I'd love to see what the Doctor comes up with to trap or defeat the creature, if it's so good at hiding it can't be seen or sensed.

Edit: This could just build up to those creatures actually existing though, and the "plausible explanations" the Doctor was giving actually being incorrect. We do see the monster behind them out of focus, and the Tardis was freaking out and acting as if someone was trying to get inside it while at the last planet, so there is some stuff left unexplained. That could be really rad actually, set up a Silence-ish enemy whose powers are even more bullshit than the Silence were. The Listens :getin:.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'd be kind of behind the idea that the "monsters" are so good at hiding that they can't turn it off. Perhaps an incredible disguise ability combined with a psychological NEED to not be seen or acknowledged. So they're able to throw "Listen" on the board as a way to get him on their trail. Meanwhile, the ones at the end of the universe are able to break past their psychological coding because they're out of time, and they need to get their message to the Doctor.

It's also worth noting that the video feed goes out and there's a pause between when we see the Doctor staring at the door and the air shell being breached. It'd be classic moffat to have him receive the message then, and just not tell anybody about it.

This theory doesn't explain why the cloister bell alarm would be going off, or why the creature would seemingly be trying to enter the TARDIS. Maybe the message didn't get fully transmitted?

I don't know, whenever cool ambiguous things have showed up in Moffat's Who he's always explained them later (Room 11 holding the Doctor's greatest fear, for instance), so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Doctor push out half-face and the creatures either be explicitly shown meeting with the Doctor on the last planet or shown to not exist. As it is right now both of those are in limbo, and are open to either interpretation.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

The Doctor was back inside the TARDIS (but unconscious) when the Cloister Bell began to go off.

To be fair, it's entirely possible the universe was about to crunch down to a singularity.

Ah, I didn't think about that possibility. It should explain why the Tardis was shaking around too.

The more I think about it, the more I wish they didn't show anything when whatever it was sat on the bed. They could have built up just as much tension, and they wouldn't have to explain why the kid on the bed happened to be wearing a monster costume.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I will never say a negative thing about Doctor Who again if 35 years from now the Doctor is on Earth with his latest present-day companion and Clara's message pops up on all the T.V.s.

:toxx:

Just for fun, any of you more knowledgeable fans have any important dates or events in Doctor Who history that are going to be coming up soon, or happened in the past decade? You know, "Lets hop into my time machine and go to the distant future of 2010!" kind of stuff.

I know DW just ignores that stuff, much like it did all of Torchwood and the many times humanity at large knew about the presence of aliens during RTD's run, but I'm curious.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ah, I was just rewatching The Big Bang and at the end 11, Rory and Amy are off to save the Space Orient Express from an Egyptian Goddess. With the Mummy shown as the villain and a sarcophagus, I have to assume next episode either deals with that event or will at least make a reference to the Doctor having already been there on a similar case.

My pet theory is that 11 is talking to 12 at the end of Big Bang, and 12 basically calls for help after finding out at the end of the episode that something about 11/Amy/Rory makes them the key to solving the Orient's crisis. Maybe something happens to jog his memory, he did have the thousand or so years on Trenzalore so that may have made things a bit fuzzy.

It also makes a bit of sense thematically because 12 just had his big fight with Clara, and since he'll probably be on his own here him doing something like hearing 11 and the gang on the phone might remind him of the happiness he can get from traveling with his companions.

Given that they already had 11 leave a voicemail it's probably a stretch to do a 2nd phone communication, but I know I'd enjoy it and lord knows they've done more hamfisted interaction between Doctor incarnations before.

Anyway, it'll just seem odd to me if the Doctor goes on an adventure that he's already been on once before quite recently (in Earth time/seasons at least), and it doesn't get referenced in some way. Heck the plot of the first episode of this season was basically a rehash of a very old episode, and they called that out multiple times.

Apologies if this was pointed out already, I would have to imagine someone else realized the similarity here, but these are just my thoughts on it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah, my only complaints are about the Clara/Doctor interaction. She was so pissed off after Kill the Moon that having her tagging along was pretty jarring, even as a last hurrah. I also get that she's either addicted to the Doctor herself or wants to keep him from being heartless by traveling with him. Given that, based on the writer's AMA, Moffat was handling most of the Clara/Doctor interactions that dealt with their relationship status (for lack of a better term that I can think of at 1:30 a.m.), I have to hand it to Mathie for writing a drat good episode. I don't care for the premise of next week's episode at all, but I had low hopes for Mummy and it turned out great, so hopefully next week's Who is great too!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yep, Jamie's pretty rad. I hope they bring him back to write at least two episodes next season, if not more.

One thing that bugged me was when Mr. Graffiti got on board the train, then Clara just threw her headband on and they hopped off. I'm fine with the headband solution, but Graffiti sat there being dumbfounded a few beats too long for my taste. It really made him seem like a pudding brain to sit there being monologed at about a hairband rather than just realizing basically right away "Oh, I don't need to be on this train, lets hop off."

I wonder what the heck all this Missy/Heaven stuff is going to lead to. It's certainly not building anticipation in me the way that the crack in the wall did :colbert:.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Given the legitimate psychological damage that isolation/solitary confinement can do, this is a pretty terrifying premise. Were any of the colonists full-on insane or otherwise in a really bad way, J-ru? I'm just curious.

I wouldn't mind seeing a story similar to this on Doctor Who proper.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I agree that it's a more interesting premise to explore that without some alien threat around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I was dumb, Clara WAS one of the teachers supervising the night at the museum. For some reason I missed that and thought she was just eagerly running around outside trying to contact the Doctor to come see, then ran into Danny and the kids.

It's me, I'm the guy who is bad at watching television and the reason they throw in all those unnecessary flashbacks and voiceovers to explain what is happening :dawkins101:

Hand in your Tardis avatar and your gun J-ru, you're off the force :clint:.

PrBacterio posted:

So am I the only one who actually liked what they showed in the next episode preview? It looks to be a step up from this week's terrible episode, at least :smith:

I'm REALLY looking forward to next week's episode, it looks :catdrugs: as hell. It'll be nice to see an episode that ties into the season-long arc and where I have no clue what's going on for most of it, usually I hop in at the end of the season after the word's out.

Also, I just figured that making people forget was part of the tree's superpowers, along with growing rapidly and disappearing and making missing and/or dead girls appear.

This episode did make me think that they really need to get the writer of the last two episode to write as many Dr. Who episodes as possible though. Amazing how much an episode's quality can vary from writer to writer.

• Locked thread