Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
It's a Moffat episode, so I'm wary. But this looks like it could scare the poo poo out of some kids, so yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Rita Repulsa posted:

I was surprised when Rusty did not kick the bucket at the end, that's how these kinds of tales usually go. Instead Rusty goes off on a venture.

I think Rusty has more possibilities than Jenny, and I kind of hope he stays in canon (daleks having memory alteration hardware and being okay with it, as I posted previously, actually makes a lot of sense and could do some interesting things... unlike whatever the hell was going on with Jenny)

I'll also mention that I saw 11's seasons first, so I did not know the trio didn't have an origin in 9 and 10's stories, and also have a bit of face blindness, so when Jenny showed up I wondered for a it if they were in fact the same person before realizing that made no sense.

Nicholas Briggs probably got down on his hands and knees and begged Moffat not to kill him off so Big Finish could one day give him his own range.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Just noticed that the show on before - somw dancing malarky - is produced by Andrew Cartmell :haw:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Capaldi just gets better every week

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Best joke ever in doctor who

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Two words that change this whole shebang

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Hah! Johnny!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Keira Knightly in next weeks episode?

Also, I liked that one - I'm glad they're going into the personality of this new and radical Doctor. Everyone's learning what make's him tick - Moffat, Capaldi and us - and it's quite refreshing.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

It's one of those ones that's gonna be properly explained in the final two-parter. Cos the Doctor has never indicated that he had that army man, has he?

In my wildest dreams, Missy shows up in the Tardis, puts the army figure on the console and says: "Hello again Doctor. It has been a long time since you looked into the eyes of Morbius, hasn't it?"

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

So wait, if the barn was attached to an orphanage, where was the orphanage when the War Doctor turned up?

And why the hell did they build an orphanage in the middle of the desert?

The Time War hosed Gallifrey hard, and that place was probably magically time locked or some such poo poo.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Crazy Man posted:

Need to re-watch, but who was the Doctor actually talking to in the beginning?

Whoever knocked his chalk off.

Also, Moffat talking about this episode:

“It was really down to an entirely selfish desire. I remember the first thing I said about this year’s run is: ‘I’m going to do a chamber piece, with no money, in the middle, because I haven’t done one in ages and I’d like to prove that I can actually write.’”

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

No loving way that's a kid. That's a monster. Hell, it looks a bit like a baby Silence.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

After it has left, Clara asks the Doctor if they just successfully saved a kid from.... another kid hiding under a bedspread, and he agrees it is entirely possible.

The out of focus image makes it look like a monster, but the end of the episode suggests that there was never any monster. So I think we're supposed to accept that it was just a kid (it does slam the door behind it as it goes, which seems odd for creatures perfectly designed to remain hidden) and that the image we see represented... I don't know, the characters' undefined fears of whatever it is that is the something under the bed? Maybe?

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not after you.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Listen-a-go-go.

It's nice to be one of the very few people in this thread to get that reference.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Based on a previous recommendation, I picked up Deadline. This story is going to stay with me for a long, long time. That's some of the finest writing I think I've ever heard.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

Moffat wrote a sitcom about teachers years ago in which literally everyone was a total dick. I don't think he enjoyed his time as a teacher.

That show resonated very strongly with the teachers I know. Being a teacher generally sucks for everyone involved.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Maybe The Doctor was raised by non-Galifrayans?

Also I thought his species was 'Time Lord' until now, didn't realize you had to qualify to be one.

Remember when the Master was taken to stare into the Untempered Schism to join the Time Lord academy?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think I erased The Sound of Drums from my memory, but yeah I guess that makes sense.
Is it known whether The Doctor himself is legitimately a Time Lord, or could it just be a self-proclaimed thing?

He passed the final examination getting a score of 51%, the lowest possible pass rate. Romana got a "triple first", whatever that is.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Ludicro posted:

Right, I'm flying out to the United States in a couple of days, and given the prospect of spending 19 hours in the air I've decided that this is the perfect time to get some Big Finish in to listen to during the trip.

So what are the goon recommendations? I've already decided that Spare Parts and Davros are a must, what else is particularly good?

Deadline, Singularity, Jubilee, The Silver Turk, Dark Eyes, The Fires of Vulcan.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Brett824 posted:

Did anyone tell Moffat that they already used the "End of the Universe" thing like 5 seasons ago?

The Universe ends in several places at once. There are stories to tell from any of them.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Best episode of the season so far.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I would love to see 5 utterly bungle his way through a bank heist :allears:

He'd be totally fine, but his companions would keep getting caught and he'd have to bust them out of jail every five minutes. If they stayed on the Tardis, he'd have the monsters freed and be back in time for celery soup.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

8 materialized it so perfectly in the rear storage compartment of a crashing spaceship that the doors lined up.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Wonderful episode that happily put scientific accuracy on the sideline for the sake of a fun, scary and silly plot and some wonderful character moments. It's pretty much everything we want from Doctor Who, isn't it? Capaldi still proves to be one of the very best Doctors and Coleman is shaping up to be one of the best companions. This season has been one of the strongest in Who's history and it's great Moffat is taking chances with the Doctor's character a la Colin Baker. At least this time he has the cachet and clout behind him to see the gradual adjustment of the Doctor's personality come to fruition. If the rest of the series is episodes of this caliber, I know I will be one very happy viewer. Well played Moffat, well played.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Majorian posted:

Yeah, on one hand, I get that it's as formulaic as a "Doctor Who" episode gets, but on the other hand, I don't feel like it was executed poorly. It's a mediocre episode, but I don't think it's a terrible one.

I put it off for ages because of its bad rep. When I actually got around to watching it, I didn't mind it as it was like a non-poo poo version of Black Orchid.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

The thing that bothers me the most about this episode even more than the impossibilities of the egg being laid immediately was the fact that if they let the bombs go off, the Doctor would have let them be vapourised. While I've been enjoying the harsher Doctor that Peter Capaldi portrays, that is just too far.

He would have materialised the tardis around them at the split second before detonation.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Striking Yak posted:

The decision presented was "should we blow up this thing we only learned existed an hour ago and re-form the Moon, or risk the survival of the entire human race?". How is that even a discussion? Blow up the space dragon. Clara essentially decided to genocide the entirety of humanity.

And that "my granny used to post on Tumblr" line doesn't really make sense if it was 2049. Astronaut lady looked ~40, so she was born in, say, 2010 to be generous. So her mother would've been born, at the very earliest, in the mid-late 90s. Grandma was on Tumblr before it even existed?

People didn't often die in childbirth in the 90s. It is possible for human females to still continue to interact with the world after spawning.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This season in a nutshell.

There's certainly poo poo that's worked this season and all, but man none of it seems to use Capaldi to its advantage.

What would that entail?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I sympathise, and I didn't even hate this episode, but do you want me to post the Sydney Newman mission statement thing? There's a line between 'don't let details get in the way of a story' and 'something so silly a 5 year old will raise an eyebrow'.

No 5 year old would raise an eyebrow to this. They'll just look outside at the moon and think "That's a big space alien egg! Cool!" Some people are really trying to take all the fun out of a kids show.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

Did the Doctor bury the soldier in the sand there, or was he just loving around while he waited for Clara to wake up?

I think he was making more of those calculations we've seen him do

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Cribbins's "Good-o" is just the best thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Yeah, The Holy terror wasn't doing it for me for the first episode or so. I couldn't quite understand why it had the reputation it had, but slowly it turned into something beautiful.

• Locked thread