Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I enjoyed the episode overall. Sure it has some organizational problems, but still enjoyable. I don't care if Clara convinces the Doctor that nothing is really there, there was a creature under that blanket. I hope it comes back at some point. It would be stupid to introduce something new and then forget you showed it and then pretend it never existed. I also enjoyed reading this thread and seeing all the goons who lack the imagination to figure out possibilities for why a thing is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
People keep forgetting we actually saw the thing under the blanket and it was cg and clearly not human. Then all three just happen to have the same hallucination about something being outside? Yes, the doctor's experience with the dream is explained, but these creatures still exist.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I am personally hand waving this away as the imagination of the three of them assuming it's a monster. None of them looked, so how would we (the audience) know what it looked like?

Ever heard of dramatic irony?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For the people who thought his name was awesome, are you American or British? I'm American but I guess I've just been watching a lot of British TV over the years. I heard it as Orson.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ak Gara posted:

I'm British and heard Awesome.

Awesome Pink. That's his name now. Even the younger one.

HOWEVER, I'd like to know how much god drat incest was in their family for someone HUNDREDS of years in the future to look identical to current timeline Pink?

My sister looks just like my grandmother. Sometimes things happen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Cloister Bell is the alarm to end all alarms. When it sounds, it means catastrophe a plot point is imminent.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think it's because 12 is the first one who's had the personality to a) be curious about it and b) be honest enough about his feelings to tell his companion. I can't imagine any of the previous three doing this.

The Doctor must be a young, 20/30 something heartthrob that I can fantasize about.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Eiba posted:

So... is there anyone else who loves Capaldi in general, but is really tired of his constant putdowns of Clara?

I guess what bothers me is that they're not just generic insults... if he was just being oblivious and abrasive that'd be one thing. But when you have the exchange, "It's too late, you took your makeup off" "I'm still wearing makeup" "... Oh. Maybe you missed a spot" (or whatever he said, this is from memory), that's not just obliviousness, that's a bunch of expectations he's making her feel bad for not living up to.

I guess it's supposed to be absurd 'cause she's obviously attractive or something, but... for some reason that's not making it any better for me. Telling anyone that kind of stuff seems really lovely to me, and beneath the doctor. Even if the doctor's being a jerk. That's just... not a fun way to be a jerk.

I don't know, it might just be me. I thought the "you'll die in six months" joke from last episode was hilarious, even though, in retrospect, it was theoretically a lot more serious. I don't mind the doctor being abrasive, but constantly saying things to make Clara insecure is... not fun at all.

He's a crazy space alien that doesn't totally understand everything about humans. Sorry it made you feel ways about stuff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think we wouldn't be having this problem if people would simply source their tumblr quotes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

No. It's just as good of a discussion as anything else that has taken this many posts, of which there are many.

It's really annoying and it isn't going anywhere. No one has agreed on anything, it's just the same bullshit back and forth for page after page/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess you missed the part where she asked if it was painless. And where they guy was talking about how he has nothing left to remember so it doesn't matter if he dies.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There was that time he landed in the wrong city and left Clara there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I didn't know if you were referencing it, or just bringing it up as an example of something he could do.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
She called him as an old woman which implies the entire thing happened in the past. Seeing how the solar flare was destroying the planet, all the Doctor had to do was look up when that happened.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I immediately thought Garrus.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The 28th Doctor will be Irish Joe.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How DARE the doctor be different in any way shape or form from the other 12 versions of him that were all different from each other.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Somehow the nukes were supposed to kill the alien and cause everything to collapse back down to normal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Didn't they only find out there was an alien when they arrived?

It's what the Doctor said would happen or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why did he keep saying 100 million years?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, how the hell is the moon getting more massive? I don't care if they baby monster is growing, eggs are a closed system. This whole episode was stupid and a bit racist.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I don't see why people care so much about the hard science because Doctor Who so flagrantly disregards it all the time. Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey, and all that. The only reason why the butterfly making GBS threads out a new moon pissed me off was because it was so lazy, not because humanity couldn't have science-magiced up some bullshit around not having a moon in Doctor Who. gently caress, Capaldi even addressed that early on.

Doctor Who is not actually sci-fi. It is fantasy which has both space travel and time travel. Any attempt to rope it in with scientific law is a fool's errand.

I don't care about the science, I just don't like how flagrantly wrong it is. No matter the setting, a creature being born out of the inside of an egg and then immediately laying another egg the same size is stupid.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

...why?

I mean, a creature regenerating into a whole new being upon death is also pretty silly. Where does the mass come from, et cetera.

I just think having ANY hang-ups about scientific accuracy in DW is tremendously wrong-headed.

Regenerating is fine because it uses whatever magic to transform one human sized thing into another human sized thing. It doesn't create a whole new object larger than the original.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

... It's not a chicken. And I'm saying that it's a very silly, arbitrary distinction to make between diversions from real science.

DW trades on the image and theme, not on interplanetary physics math problems. If real science is getting in the way of a story, then gently caress SCIENCE.

It's not interplanetary physics or math problems, it's straight up bullshit. It's writers being too lazy to write anything interesting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think I get it now. The true demographic of Doctor Who is retarded babies who don't care if the Doctor is stuck in a scary castle and gets away by simply shifting his race car into high gear and flying through the time vortex behind Jupiter into a larger egg castle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Good old Clark.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

He's an NY local, so we've established a bit of an in-character double-act for conventions and events that largely consists of me indignantly objecting to his machinations while he taps his umbrella to the floor impatiently.

He's about a head-and-a-bit shorter than me, too, which makes it even better because I have to really contort to make eye contact , especially around the brim of his hat, so the "blocking" is really easy to maintain even while navigating crowded convention halls.

Autism

Edit: Quote is not report

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 20, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm very rude so it might have been me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Must be really awkward to have to remember which companion to visit when they are all alive at the same time.

• Locked thread