Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:siren:NEWEST UPDATE: DEAD SPACE 3 HARDCORE STREAM, PART FOUR - 10/30.:siren:

The year is 2508. Earth has basically been extincted of all resources, forcing the human race to take to the stars if they want to survive. The Concordance Extraction Corporation, or CEC, has invented a new type of space ship that has the potential to save humanity as we know it (or I guess as the people in 2500s know it): The USG Ishimura. Designed for extracting resources from untouched planets, it uses a massive drill and mining laser to cut the earthen rock to pieces and mine the resulting chunks for valuable, usually expendable resources. All of this is going really well until the massive planetcracker cracks a planet it probably shouldn't have; for Aegis VII just so happens to contain an alien artifact that seems to breathe a life of its own.

Dead Space is a third-person horror shooter, developed by Visceral Games (formerly EA Redwood Shores) for PS3, 360, and PC. It was released on October 14, 2008 worldwide, with the PC release following a week after. It tells the story of Isaac Clarke, mute space engineer who boards the Ishimura with his team in response to a repair signal. At first it seems like the only problem with the ship is how retardedly dim all of the light bulbs are, but not even five minutes later things go horribly, horribly wrong.

It's a very good game. Visceral has been praised for not shying away from the gore as many horror games have done in the past; there are no panning shots while poor Isaac gets rended limb from limb offscreen. Everything happens streamlined and in real time with no loading screens to speak of (unless you die, that is). It's one cohesive, terrifying experience. Think Resident Evil 4.

The game came out years ago but I believe it's one of the best horror video games ever made and I definitely hope I do it justice. The gameplay is fun and unique, the story is intriguing, and it's drat scary to boot! I hope to properly capture the game's atmosphere, at least in the text commentary videos, because it certainly is something to be seen.

Yes, to an extent. As long as they are tagged and the thread doesn't turn into an FBI document you can talk about stuff we haven't seen yet. Just don't start off a discussion with I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE BASKETBALL MINI GAME IN CHAPTER 10 and I'm sure we'll be fine.

As with my previous let's play of Max Payne 3, there are two versions of every video:

1. A normal playthrough of the game on Medium difficulty, with text commentary. This will be considered the 'main' Let's Play.

2. A playthrough on IMPOSSIBLE MODE, the game's hardest difficulty, with live commentary. This will be me having fun and/or getting extremely angry, in which case it will be fun for you instead.

Updates for both will be posted simultaneously. That way you can choose whether want to preserve the atmosphere of the game or listen to me shout at zombies, whichever you prefer.

In addition, this can also kinda serve as a general Dead Space thread, I suppose. If you want to chat about the comics or novels and how terrible/great/TERRIBLE they are, feel free. I'm sure I'll bring them up in the LP itself at some point. Just make sure to use spoiler tags if it's relevant to the game's events.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 9, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Our journey into the bowels of the Ishimura begins.

Text Logs in this chapter

J.F. Wright posted:

USG ISHIMURA
AEROSPACE ENGINEERING DEPT
SHUTTLE REPAIRS INVOICE

MISSION DAY TWO:
-Faulty fore gyro, vessel USG-ISH-S03. Replaced, now functional.
MISSION DAY THREE:
-Faulty 4D scrope, vessel USG-ISH-S01. Still in repair.
MISSION DAY FOUR:
-Damaged landing repulsors, vessel USG-ISH-S05. Complete replacement, now functional.
-Damaged fore and left-fore viewports, vessel USG-ISH-S04. Replaced, now functional.
MISSION DAY FIVE:
-Damaged booster collar, vessel USG-ISH-S05. Repaired, now functional.

ENGINEER'S NOTE
WRIGHT, J.F. (2nd ENGINEER, MAINTENANCE BAY)

New Infodesk entries

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 14, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Cool, looking forward to seeing the rest! So... Who wants to be first to step into the enjoyably deep rabbit hole that is the prequel stuff? Because we have a few novels, a comic miniseries by Image, and, of course, Dead Space: Downfall, the first of two animated prequel type thaings (And, as far as I'm concerned, the better of the two. Seriously, who thought Reboot style lovely 3d Animation was a good stylistic choice for your framing narrative, Aftermath?)

As much as I dislike the direction Dead Space went, I can't deny it's an interesting franchise, and that the first two games are something I have enjoyed, and continue to enjoy every now and again.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Cool. I noticed there was an LP for DS2 and I was wondering if there was one for DS1 up somewhere. My brother and a few friends are big fans but I never picked them up as the first one came out when I was really into WoW and other multiplayer only games, and I didn't pick up the sequels because I felt like I would be missing out on the story of the first; so I am looking forward to finally seeing why everyone was raving about this game.

Also I died from alcohol poisoning.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JamieTheD posted:

Cool, looking forward to seeing the rest! So... Who wants to be first to step into the enjoyably deep rabbit hole that is the prequel stuff? Because we have a few novels, a comic miniseries by Image, and, of course, Dead Space: Downfall, the first of two animated prequel type thaings (And, as far as I'm concerned, the better of the two. Seriously, who thought Reboot style lovely 3d Animation was a good stylistic choice for your framing narrative, Aftermath?)

As much as I dislike the direction Dead Space went, I can't deny it's an interesting franchise, and that the first two games are something I have enjoyed, and continue to enjoy every now and again.

You forgot Dead Space: Extraction on the Wii/PS3, which is actually a really good game in it's own right.

Just as a bit of general Dead Space trivia; Isaac Clarke's name came from Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke :eng101:. I also liked the way they handwaved TK and Stasis in-universe; They've just mastered manipulating gravitons to the same relative degree we can manipulate electrons today :science:.

Also, I loving hate Leapers. Their running/leaping profile can make it drat hard to get a limb-cutting shot off at them when you need to.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 13, 2014

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Every time I've seen the opening sequence, the Ishimura is always a foreboding sight; The art direction team really had fun making the mining ship's profile look like the exposed bones of some ancient creature, long-dead and repurposed.

Another thing that becomes more noticeable during the playthrough of the game is that the RIG upgrades tend to look like futuristic banded mail instead of a more-uniform suit of armour like you'd see in, say, Halo, or Doom. As Issac is wearing a Mining RIG, it's pretty easy to see how the reinforcements would be good against blunt impacts, such as stray rocks from an asteroid that's being cut up, but less-protective against things such as sharp blades and similar.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JamieTheD posted:

Fun fact: Downfall opens with a continuity error by placing Aegis VII in the Cygnus system instead of the Aegis system. Whoops! v:v:v

The external Dead Space media ranges from really good to goddamn awful and the 3D animation one is probably the worst of the lot. I plan on making a couple of info dump posts on the novels since I have read them. I think it's interesting how they expand on the universe but at the same time the animated movies shove in so many goddamn plot inconsistencies that I have to wonder if the creators even saw the game first... but we'll get to that in a few chapters.

Eventually I also want to make a post covering my favorite Dead Space fanfiction of all time, too (because it's bad, mind you, there is no good Dead Space fanfiction, I checked). It's 240,000 words long.

Sel Nar posted:

Another thing that becomes more noticeable during the playthrough of the game is that the RIG upgrades tend to look like futuristic banded mail instead of a more-uniform suit of armour like you'd see in, say, Halo, or Doom. As Issac is wearing a Mining RIG, it's pretty easy to see how the reinforcements would be good against blunt impacts, such as stray rocks from an asteroid that's being cut up, but less-protective against things such as sharp blades and similar.

This is something I've always enjoyed too. I like that the technology is futuristic, but the appearance of it all is still right on the line between futuristic and modern.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
I really liked the first two Dead Space games, even if the second one went a little overboard trying to psychological. Both of these games manage to create a really tense atmosphere with further oppressive art design. Exploring the Ishimura managed to be a claustrophobic experience and supported how alone Isaac is. Sure there were jump scares, but I still think Dead Space managed to go past relying on the jump scares.

Also, these two games were what caused me to stop watching Yahtzee's reviews.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Oh boy, this game. This is probably my third favorite game that I had on Xbox 360, behind Dead Space 2 and Fallout New Vegas. Other than the sound design and the gameplay, what really gets me about this game is just how loving bleak everything is. Looking forward to the LP!

Tyrone Biggums fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 14, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Highway posted:

I really liked the first two Dead Space games, even if the second one went a little overboard trying to psychological. Both of these games manage to create a really tense atmosphere with further oppressive art design. Exploring the Ishimura managed to be a claustrophobic experience and supported how alone Isaac is. Sure there were jump scares, but I still think Dead Space managed to go past relying on the jump scares.

Also, these two games were what caused me to stop watching Yahtzee's reviews.

I was actually okay with Dead Space 3 going more action-oriented rather than survival horror. There's not really all that much left for Isaac or the player to be terrified of by the time it takes place. He's seen all that poo poo already, twice, and knows pretty much everything about how Necromorphs work :shrug:. Plus universal ammo meant weapon customization was actually fun, and not a dull slog of being stuck using one weapon tip type because you can't scrounge ammo for any others.

Dead Space really does have some amazing sound design, and I never got to really notice the subtleties of it the first time due to crappy headphones. The difference is night and day listening to the LP video through my new full-blown gaming headset and I might have to just replay the drat games now thanks to this Let's Play.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The one thing I really love about the sound design is that they intentionally tried to avoid using non-human voices where possible even for non-human things. You can tell that slashers are voiced by real humans, obviously, but it's the more subtle stuff like the exhaling sound in the shuttle tube I mentioned. That's not actually steam hissing, it's a person going 'hhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaahhhhh'. There's a really cool example in Dead Space 2 where one of the developers was terribly sick and had this wheezing phlegm-y breath, and he came in on the day they were doing the sound design for the "breathing bags" that pump air into Dead Space 2's hub world. They couldn't get a good, not-quite-right sound for it, so they stuck him in the recording booth and just had him breathe for a bit.

Even the music is subtle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s4TnaG1qe0

This is the music that plays when there are necromorphs around, but they haven't seen you and you haven't seen them. There are only a few times where this ever actually happens but they made a whole music track just for that occasion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO_-NcEjW7g

There's also a track specifically for the room with the exit tram in it that plays at the start/end of every chapter.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 14, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have moved all of the images for the OP and such over to LPix, formerly on imgur, formerly formerly on Puush. Hopefully they will stay up consistently now, though I have no doubt they will.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Been thinking about how I could make the commentary more entertaining on the impossible mode vids since most people are gonna watch that run anyway. I've already recorded the whole game with live commentary; but what I think I'll do, instead of ditching that recording altogether, is redo the videos with co-commentator(s) and cut to the live commentary I did when it's relevant/funniest, maybe with a little [LIVE] in the corner and a static-y effect or something. I'm still messing with the idea and don't wanna overuse it but we'll see. I am unfortunately kinda boring when I'm on my own, it turns out.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

CJacobs posted:

Been thinking about how I could make the commentary more entertaining on the impossible mode vids since most people are gonna watch that run anyway. I've already recorded the whole game with live commentary; but what I think I'll do, instead of ditching that recording altogether, is redo the videos with co-commentator(s) and cut to the live commentary I did when it's relevant/funniest, maybe with a little [LIVE] in the corner and a static-y effect or something. I'm still messing with the idea and don't wanna overuse it but we'll see. I am unfortunately kinda boring when I'm on my own, it turns out.

I love your chill Dark Souls 2 LP though so you're bein' too hard on yourself.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, the first game is honestly probably the best. DS2 has better action but an even worse storyline and the third game is just...it's not BAD, but it's such a huge mess. Like, it has optional areas for no real reason and...oh I don't know, but whatever.

This game is pretty dope fresh and I enjoy it.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Yeah, the first game is honestly probably the best. DS2 has better action but an even worse storyline and the third game is just...it's not BAD, but it's such a huge mess. Like, it has optional areas for no real reason and...oh I don't know, but whatever.

My only experience with the third game was watching a co-op run through of it where the two guys playing it slowly realized that they weren't seeing the same things on the screen.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

citybeatnik posted:

My only experience with the third game was watching a co-op run through of it where the two guys playing it slowly realized that they weren't seeing the same things on the screen.

I never got to play it co-op, and I've had that stuff spoiled for me. Makes me sad, that's the one thing I genuinely would've loved to have experienced about the game.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I never got to play it co-op, and I've had that stuff spoiled for me. Makes me sad, that's the one thing I genuinely would've loved to have experienced about the game.

Co-op is pretty fun since it lets you make fun of how awful the third game was with someone else.

I remember one year reading about this game in a magazine and thinking "Eh this seems kinda interesting. Maybe I'll pick it up later." Cue christmas morning getting this as a gift and having it consume me for a few months. I absolutely loved this game and have played through it easily 20 times just to try out different gimmick runs, weapons I overlooked, or just to experience the story again.

The second game is my favorite in the series because, for me, it hits that perfect balance between survival horror and action game that makes this series stand out. It's just so drat disappointing the third game was so terrible in just about every way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Full disclosure, I was gonna do an LP of 3 instead but I wanted to do it co-op and I didn't have anyone who owned it legally and wanted to play with me because it's awful! I will probably do it someday anyway. I like 3. It's a weird perfect mix of terrible and great.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 16, 2014

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Personally, I looked at 3's base storyline and sensibilities as the 'Army of Darkness' out of the trilogy; while there's some good bits of tension and 'run for your life' in there, especially in certain chapters, It's broken up into easier-to-digest parts due to an increased number of supporting characters, and a bit of humour that tended not to fit very well.

Now, the story DLC for 3 is a whole other Kettle of fish, and boils down to 'well, we're hosed' in practically every sense of the statement. I suggest you check it out if you're willing to give DS3 another kick at the can.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You seem to be saying Army of Darkness was anything but a masterpiece, so I think you might be kind of confused.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Night10194 posted:

You seem to be saying Army of Darkness was anything but a masterpiece, so I think you might be kind of confused.

Don't get me wrong, I love Army of Darkness. It's just that its tone was far more comedic than Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2, which is the comparison I was trying to make. Dead Space and DS2 have far more moments where the atmosphere feels opressive and stressful, while in 3, it's broken up by (occasionally 'funny') inter-character banter, even if you're flying solo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Come to think of it, Dead Space 2 is really more like Resident Evil 4 than this game. I put that in the OP and I was like "yeah this is totally true" but I don't think Leon is all that sluggish what with his backflipping over lasers and spin-kicking knives and stuff.

Also, the next video is taking a while because I have no mic to record with right now and can't go 5 minutes without breaking technology when I don't have the money to replace it haha oops :suicide:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have decided to just post this episode with the just-me commentary, instead of waiting another week for payday so I can afford a new microphone with which to re-record with other people. The next update will probably mark the start of me having co-commentators. I mention at the start of this episode that I have gotten a new microphone, which is a DIFFERENT microphone than the one I am using in Chapter 1 because that one broke, and then the one I used to record Impossible Mode broke too. I'm really good at breaking microphones!!

The medical deck: Full of assholes, necros, and minor plot inconsistencies.

Terrence Kyne posted:

PERSONAL LOG
DR. KYNE, T. (CHIEF SCIENCE OFFICER)

The vidlogs from the colony are poor quality, but the artifact does indeed appear to be a genuine Marker, the first to be found in Unitology's two hundred year history. I'm eager to get it on board the ship so I can study it properly.

The potential here is enormous. Not just for me personally, though it's true I've dreamed of such a discovery for decades. But also to humanity, and the Church of Unitology in particular.

This marker could herald the dawn of a new age for mankind, and I will do my part to ensure it comes to pass. I know the Church will be grateful, but the true recognition will come from all of humanity. On this day, we are blessed.

B. Warwick posted:

MEDICAL LOG
DR. WARWICK, B. (CHIEF PSYCH OFFICER)
REPORT OF PSYCHIATRIC OBSERVATION
PATIENT: HARRIS, B. (Employee #PM-19026-EH)

Harris is asleep, after another strong sedative. He seems literally unable to sleep without chemical aid. Most people succumb to exhaustion after 50+ hours of waking, regardless of any desire to stay awake. Not Harris.

His explanation of events on the colony is also odd, and points to the same paranoia we've seen elsewhere planetside. His guilt is not in doubt--two planteside security officers were present when he took Dr. Sciarello hostage and murdered Nurse Evans--and he doesn't deny his actions. But he insists there was no crime, nor does he feel guilt.

This is classic sociopathic behavior, but Harris exhibits no other symptoms. He is affable and friendly, able to empathize and offer original opinions. When questioned about the murder, however, he becomes withdrawn and intransigent, displaying schizophrenic behavior. He also undergoes intermittent hallucinatory periods, again similar to those experienced by other colonists. Harris claims he threatened the Doctor because he "had to stop the dreams and the faces", and that he'll kill again to "Make it whole again". What that means, I haven't determined yet. A most intriguing case.
This guy has come up once already and he will continue to be referenced over the next few chapters, it's an interesting side story that I'll be sure to keep track of. From what we know so far: Brant Harris was a normal person working on the mining excavation team down on the Aegis VII colony. Like many of the people on the mining team, he suffered from dementia and other mental issues but for reasons yet unknown to us, the usual treatment didn't work on him. Eventually it supposedly drove him insane, and he killed a whole lot of people before being sedated and brought to the Ishimura to be put in official custody. Harris appears in the Dead Space prequel comic, where these events unfold in realtime. We'll hear more about him later.

Uknown posted:

NEWBORNS

Alyssa Rose
Kai Jatin
Alyssa
Leoni
Ian Ansel
Jackson Thomas
Lucas
Zara James
Caitlyn
Kai Jashua
Kody
Kyle
Jiannah Faith
Jack William
Agatha Marjorie

Terrence Kyne posted:

SCIENCE LOG
ATTN:CAPTAIN MATHIUS, B.

Benjamin -

Furter to your previous conversation, I ask that you delay bringing the Marker up from the planet for a day or two.
You know I'm as keen as anyone to study it in detail, and I understand your sense of urgency given the events on the colony, but that's why I ask--what's happening down there is just too unique, too unprecedented, to cut it short without proper time to study the causes and effects.

In light of a discussion I had with Dr. Mercer, I'd like to meet with Drs. sciarello and Welland planetside to get their observations.

-Terrence

G. Domuss posted:

MEDICAL LOG
DR. DOMUSS, G. (MEDICAL EXAMINER)
REPORT OF DEATH ON SHIP SUBJECT: CAPTAIN MATHIUS, B.

It is my sad duty to officially pronounce Captain Benjamin Mathius dead.
Reports of the exact circumstances surrounding his death are conflicted, and beyond the scope of my role. I can only report on the body.

The subject was in generally good health for his age, though a cursory blood test indicates his leukocyte count was very low, with eosinophils in particular almost non-existent. His preflight physical exam showed no such problems, indicating rapid onset; however, it is unlikely this had any effect on his death.
Multiple contusions on the arms and hands, indicating a brief struggle pre-mortem. Slight contusions around the ribcage, suggesting hes chest was restrained in some way. Cause of death was a single prolonged trauma to the ocular body which continued on through the cavity wall, and finally into the frontal lobe, causing rapid neurotrauma, seizure and death.
The force required to puncture the ocular cavity in this manner is great, and the possibility of self-infliction correspondingly low.

I therefore have not alternative but to record a preliminary verdict of UNLAWFUL DEATH. Whether deliberate or accidental is beyond my jurisdiction.
As we will see in the coming chapters, there is a bit of a logical inconsistency with this text log, particularly what happened after the captain was killed. According to this log he was transported to the morgue just after his death, so they could assess how it happened. In the animated movie, by the time the rescue team gets to the morgue, it's already overrun by necromorphs. The game and the movie both agree that the morgue is where the outbreak started as there would be the most fresh corpses for the Infectors to do their business with. The problem is that the movie has the captain's death happen during its events, meaning the Medical Deck is already starting to be overrun by necromorphs about half an hour before the captain even dies.

New Infodesk entries

Also notable though they don't have their own entry: Pants-wearing slashers! Oh, no!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 25, 2014

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

The Flamethrower, despite its piss-poor range, is actually suprisingly useful on Hard and Impossible difficulty; it tends to stunlock enemies as soon as you get more than a half-second squirt on them, and the fire ignores armour, so slashers wearing pants are of no real consequence to it. It's still utter poo poo at outright damage unless you use the secondary fire, and there's many other options that are better at stunning, knocking back, or outright damaging an enemy, but it's not totally useless.

Also, one thing the devs did not take into account is that Hydrazine burns in space as it's a self-oxygenating reaction, so the flamethrower doesn't work when there's no atmosphere. I'm not certain if they fixed it in the sequel, but I believe they did.

Edit. Watching the normal-mode video now, you did mention the reason why the flamethrower not working was an 'Oops' on the developer's part. Cool beans.

Sel Nar fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 25, 2014

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Sel Nar posted:

The Flamethrower, despite its piss-poor range, is actually suprisingly useful on Hard and Impossible difficulty; it tends to stunlock enemies as soon as you get more than a half-second squirt on them, and the fire ignores armour, so slashers wearing pants are of no real consequence to it. It's still utter poo poo at outright damage unless you use the secondary fire, and there's many other options that are better at stunning, knocking back, or outright damaging an enemy, but it's not totally useless.

Also, one thing the devs did not take into account is that Hydrazine burns in space as it's a self-oxygenating reaction, so the flamethrower doesn't work when there's no atmosphere. I'm not certain if they fixed it in the sequel, but I believe they did.

Yeah the flamethrower is a surprisingly effective weapon once you've gotten used to it. Plus it's handy for dealing with the frogs/tiny jumpers/little assholes that jump on you and eat away health.

Side question: how does guest commentating work? I would very much like to commentate over this game with you but the only kind of mic I have is a turtle beach mic.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I love your text commentary, really. :allears:
Christ, the sound these babies make...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That barricade in Medical actually turns up in Dead Space: Extraction, and it's a very rushed effort to get it bolted in place to keep the Necromorphs escaping :eng101:. One thing I never really thought about until now though; Why the hell would anyone store thermite in the Medical area of a ship?

edit: I never knew about that secret office behind the bookcase :stare:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 26, 2014

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I never really got into this series, mostly because I have a very weak stomach for gore and some of the deaths I've seen clips of were pretty :stare:

Your commentary is great though, so I've enjoyed the videos thus far! The baby punt caught me by surprise and I burst out laughing, I remember now people were making a stink about it but I didn't think it was quite that literal. I feel a bit weird laughing at it but it just seems so bizarre in this scary bleak action gorefest.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fibby Boy posted:

Side question: how does guest commentating work? I would very much like to commentate over this game with you but the only kind of mic I have is a turtle beach mic.

The only things you need to co-commentate with me are a mic, Audacity, and some way for us to communicate with each other. When I have co-commentators on my videos, I render out a slightly lower quality version of the video (lower filesize) and shoot it to them, and then they download it and we all sync up, recording our audio simultaneously. Then the co-commentators send me their audio and I splice it all together via magic, duct tape, and a little luck. If you meet those qualifications then you're set!

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

The only things you need to co-commentate with me are a mic, Audacity, and some way for us to communicate with each other. When I have co-commentators on my videos, I render out a slightly lower quality version of the video (lower filesize) and shoot it to them, and then they download it and we all sync up, recording our audio simultaneously. Then the co-commentators send me their audio and I splice it all together via magic, duct tape, and a little luck. If you meet those qualifications then you're set!

Ah. Then I don't qualify as I don't have any recording devices/software. Oh well. Looking forward to the rest of this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Audacity is free, bro. Just download it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fibby Boy posted:

Ah. Then I don't qualify as I don't have any recording devices/software. Oh well. Looking forward to the rest of this.

Use microsoft sam, or watch the video with CJacobs and just type out everything you'd say/comment and THEN use microsoft sam.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Sign me up! I'd love to join you on this magical mystery toddler murder simulator! :getin:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Use microsoft sam, or watch the video with CJacobs and just type out everything you'd say/comment and THEN use microsoft sam.

LP Bot is always the correct choice.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
LP Bot can represent Isaac's own inner monologue. His surrogate voice.

Hey heads up it's midterm and I'm behind on my schoolwork because I'm a lazy sack of poo poo, so there might not be a video this week if I don't get around to wranglin' up my co-commentators to record one. I will do my best though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Don't worry about it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am still too poor to afford a new microphone (hooray for dire financial straits!) but I am pretty sure I'll have enough saved up to get one next week, so I am officially declaring THIS episode to be the last one that's just me on my own. Maybe. No promises.

Let's keep the ship from falling into the atmosphere and burning up and probably exploding too I dunno!

F. Hallow posted:

DECK LOG
HALLOW. F. (AB)

Don't know what's going on around here. Someone said the ship's been attacked. Who the hell would attack us out here? First the Captain dies, now we get attacked? Carmack says someone on Bridge staff killed him. Can't believe that.

Goddamn chaos now. Can't get through to the Bridge. Can't get through to anyone. Everyone's running. Getting the hell out of here. I should probably join them.

I'll use this space to further explain the continuity error I touched on briefly within the video. The log Temple made in which he estimates when the ship will start falling into Aegis VII's atmosphere is very inconsistent with Downfall which, you may remember, has been kind of a trouble spot in the way of continuity thus far! As I talked about in Chapter 2, Downfall takes place on the first day of the outbreak on the Ishimura during the events of Captain Mathius' death. In fact you see it happen WHEN it happens, and shortly after that the engines are deactivated by the mysterious benefactor we still don't know the identity of. With the engines deactivated manually, the ship complains about it and then later says that orbit will start decaying within a matter of hours.

Immediately this has already conflicted with Temple's logs in the game because he places his adventures around the ship as taking place two days after the captain's death, citing that that's when things started going wrong. Since Temple's logs take place a couple days after the death of the captain and Downfall states that orbit will start decaying in a few hours on the day the captain died, the Ishimura would more or less be a crater right next to the bigger crater on the planet by the time those logs would've been made.

Additionally, Downfall introduces ANOTHER continuity issue in the same breath as explaining the ship's decay time. In chapter one there is a log specifying that it took the Ishimura 5 days to get from port to where it currently hovers above Aegis VII, which gives Hammond 3 hours to assemble the Kellion's crew and deploy it to the Ishimura to fix the drat thing. Even then, Temple's logs mean that Isaac and co. had to have arrived within the 10 hour window Temple specifies in his logs because otherwise the Ishimura wouldn't even still be in the air! The game emphasizes that the Kellion crew was put together quickly but I don't think the developers intended for it to have happened THAT quickly.

C. Danvers posted:

ENGINEERING LOG
DANVERS, C. (QMED)
Re: Organic growth in engineering (Update)

The unidentified growth seen in other parts of the ship has now reached engineering. I don't know what the hell this stuff is--looks like someone threw up their guts all over the walls--but it's spreading faster than we can cut it up, which is pretty disgusting in itself.

It's already in the engine spoke. and if we can't find a way to stop it soon, it'll hit the main chamber by the day after tomorrow. I hope the docs are looking into it, because it's way beyond me.

New Infodesk entries

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

oh hello, another CJacobs LP? Don't mind if I do :)

Since I'm not a huge expert on this game I can only assume that we won't be getting something like the New York Minute videos for your Max Payne 3 LP :v:

• Locked thread