Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

divx posted:

Are prime95 and memtest86 still the go to for testing cpu thermals and memory stability?

Just used memtest86 last week to determine the RAM in my main desktop had gone bad. I didn't bother to figure out which stick(s) failed, and just bought another 32GB kit that seems to outperform the last set. They're both DDR4 3600 C16, but the new kit seems to have faster subtimings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

divx posted:

Are prime95 and memtest86 still the go to for testing cpu thermals and memory stability?

For DDR4 memory stability check out this link: https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/oc-guide/DDR4%20OC%20Guide.md#memory-testing-software

For DDR5, you can use the above but you will also want to use something to benchmark your memory to see if you are getting the speeds you should be. There is on-die error correction on DDR5 but it won't report errors to the OS. Instead, you just get degraded performance. That same guide has some recommendations for benchmarking: https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/oc-guide/DDR4%20OC%20Guide.md#benchmarks

tldr:

- ddr4: TM5 with Extreme by anta777 configuration

- ddr5: AIDA64 cache and memory benchmark (found under tools) and compare to the bandwidth you should be getting for your memory speeds (i don't have a link handy for that)