Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

I am not a book posted:

Hey NonMinnesotailures, how does it feel to know that we make all the best apples and then let you pay us for the privilege of growing them?

*entirety of the world laughs behind ur back*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Baracula posted:

*entirety of the world laughs behind ur back*

:ohdear: Oh gosh, that wasn't a very polite thing for me to say huh? I'm sorry, next time you come over let's go to the fish fry down at the VFW and I'll buy you a Premium.

I am not a book fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 14, 2014

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Once again goons are incapable of eating or talking about food without embarrassing themselves. Hey you guys I ate an apple and then another time I ate an apple from a different country & I liked that more, pretty sure all the food in my country is poisoned.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I'm honestly surprised that America has apples that aren't bacon flavoured or infused with HFCS or something like literally everything else you eat.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Once again goons are incapable of eating or talking about food without embarrassing themselves. Hey you guys I ate an apple and then another time I ate an apple from a different country & I liked that more, pretty sure all the food in my country is poisoned.

u dam goons!! :argh:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'm honestly surprised that America has apples that aren't bacon flavoured or infused with HFCS or something like literally everything else you eat.

look at the guy jealous of our bacon which has actual flavor

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
produce is a good way to get fiber in your diet, which is a good way to make your intestines and emotions feel cool and good

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

*pours a gallon of ranch dressing over everything* now it has flavour!

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Ocean Book posted:

produce is a good way to get fiber in your diet, which is a good way to make your intestines and emotions feel cool and good

coffee is just as good.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

the most correct response to the OP is that most of the American public, in my experience, does not know how to best pick out produce. Be it an apple, cantaloupe , pineapple, or cauliflower, some people are unaware of what to look for at best, and at worst are downright backward in their selection process. The next time you bite into lovely produce, ask yourself "what makes a good X, and do I correctly understand what to look for when selecting a good X?".

Quote-Unquote posted:

We make apples that taste like grapes . We also make grapes that taste like cotton candy.

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

James Hardon posted:

I recently tried an apple that was imported from the UK and holy poo poo what have I been missing out on? Can any Britgoons who are knowledgable about agriculture explain why your fruit tastes so much better? I honestly don't think I can ever go back to American apples because all I taste now when biting into one is wet sandpaper.

lol if you dont get ur produce directly from california farmers right off the tree

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

I am not a book posted:

:ohdear: Oh gosh, that wasn't a very polite thing for me to say huh? I'm sorry, next time you come over let's go to the fish fry down at the VFW and I'll buy you a Premium.

the idea that ice people could produce flavoursome fruit is laughable

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Kombotron posted:

lol if you dont get ur produce directly from california farmers right off the tree

all we got that's good now is avocados and some citrus, our farm land is being starved of water so jerry brown can get cheap land for his train.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Baracula posted:

its a shame that retards cant enjoy the majesty of putanesca olives. your cross to bear

there is no such thing as this. it appears to be you that is the retard

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

RideTheSpiral posted:

there is no such thing as this. it appears to be you that is the retard

yeah the fruit that nurtured classical civilisation doesnt measure up to the subtle flavours of the big mac *shits self, is moron idiot*

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Baracula posted:

yeah the fruit that nurtured classical civilisation doesnt measure up to the subtle flavours of the big mac *shits self, is moron idiot*

wtf i obviously know what an olive is

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
i got lost in my own epic burn now im confused

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

RideTheSpiral posted:

i got lost in my own epic burn now im confused

your burn was room temp at best

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

TOILETLORD posted:

don't forget lots of our produce can be up to almost a year old before it gets shipped out, and will sit in refrigerated warehouses. Orange juice is an average of 1 year old before it gets moved from a holding tank and flavored.
do you actually believe this? because that would make me really sad if you did

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
TOILETLORD in idiot cracked reader shocker

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
You can totally produce sit in the refrigerator for a year without anything happening to it. You can trust me on this one. I have a lot of experience observing but not ever touching the produce in my moms fridge.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
I also literally cannot comprehend the concept of dry freezing produce. I'm retarded you hear? Reeeeeetahded.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Olives are gross

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

vyst posted:

Olives are gross

wrong

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

vyst posted:

Olives are gross

If ur literally a child. the only reason to not enjoy olives is immaturity.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Your staple crop that also serves as a medicine that your civilization has depended on for centuries is actually gross. Unless you stuff it with a pimiento then maybe. * empties cheeze wiz can into mouth*

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 251 days!)

vyst posted:

Olives are gross

three are too much

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Baracula posted:

its a shame that retards cant enjoy the majesty of putanesca olives. your cross to bear

olives are great but what is this "Spaghetti alla puttanesca (literally "spaghetti of the whore" in Italian)"

stop calling olives whores you puttanesca

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
just ate an olive. trip report: fukin awesome

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Xachariah posted:

olives are great but what is this "Spaghetti alla puttanesca (literally "spaghetti of the whore" in Italian)"

spaghetti of the whore is what i call my wang fyi

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

RideTheSpiral posted:

spaghetti of the whore is what i call my wang fyi

you need to have sex before you can be considered a whore tho

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
Buy your produce at a farmers market hth.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Xachariah posted:

you need to have sex before you can be considered a whore tho

nice try but i thnink you will find that i pay money to insert my spaghetti into the whore

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Xachariah posted:

slutty olives are the poo poo. deal w/it e: olives in a puttanesca marinade. ifiot american peasants

klaivu
Aug 29, 2006

"... Mother?"

YourHealthyColon posted:

Its called red blush effect. Because consumers pick apples based on what they look like, and they overwhelmingly favor red colors, greedy fuckin apple farmers will select for red coloring to the detriment of flavor and texture. So yeah thats why red delicious look beautiful but taste like wet cardboard and the same thing is happening to honeycrisp

The same thing goes with tomatoes. To get that beautiful red sheen you have to turn off genes that enable the fruit to make it's own sugar. The green in splotchy fruit comes from chloroplasts, which make sugar via photosynthesis. Remove that, and you get beautiful red tomatoes. That have 20% less sugar and carotenoids.

I figure the same thing applies with apples.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

vyst posted:

Olives are gross

3 olives is worse

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

Shithouse Dave posted:

New Zealand grows some pretty great apples. I can still buy them in Canada tho which is weird. They're better in NZ.

The US import all NZs good apples. Pacific Rose gently caress yes.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 251 days!)

Fog Tripper posted:

3 olives is worse

^5

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

TOILETLORD posted:

all we got that's good now is avocados and some citrus, our farm land is being starved of water so jerry brown can get cheap land for his train.

californiawill turn into a pockmarked scorched desert but at least i will be able to in 90 minutes visit the LA hive warzone where techno barbarian clans fight over water caravans.

the nation will starve.

a brutal future worth the ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
buy produce at the grocery store, take it out of its bags and resell it to idiots at farmers markets for like a 150% mark up.

• Locked thread