Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

So, Oregon has to be the clear cut #1 right? Everyone else has looked pretty vulnerable in one way or another

Florida St will overwhelmingly be #1 this week because they were last week and they were preseason #1. Oregon won't be able to overcome that until Florida St loses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

So, Oregon has to be the clear cut #1 right? Everyone else has looked pretty vulnerable in one way or another

I feel like this is said every year around this time, and every year a dumb SEC team wins it. Except last year where a dumb southern-based ACC team won it.

gently caress the South, y'all.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Probably, yeah. Unless you think Okie Lite is already on par with Michigan State.

Which, you know, I suppose you could say that MSU is in the Big 10...

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 14, 2014

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

y'all weren't kidding about the GT win :stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-OHefNmKik

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

I feel like this is said every year around this time, and every year a dumb SEC team wins it. Except last year where a dumb southern-based ACC team won it.

Sorry you aren't from the better part of the country :smug:

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Spiritus Nox posted:

Probably, yeah. Unless you think Okie Lite is already on par with Michigan State.

No, I don't. Not yet, anyway.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffdaddy posted:

Southern California?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fluffdaddy posted:

Teen pregnancy and domestic violence aren't really positive qualities, y'all.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pick a negative aspect of modern society.

The South leads in whatever category it was. Punching wives, meth, education (lack of), fat people, diseases kids get when you decide Faygo Redpop is an acceptable drink for an infant, whatever.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I didn't watch the game, but UNLV lost to NIU. It was closer than I thought it'd be which is a good thing. Maybe this team has something.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

FAUXTON posted:

Teen pregnancy and domestic violence aren't really positive qualities, y'all.

Apparently those don't exist in Iowa?

Virginia Tech lost, which was not good. I wasn't surprised at ECU being good, I expected that. In all reality I expected VT to win by a touchdown or so. They...really hosed it up and forgot to play the beginning and end of the game. I didn't see this team getting to the playoff but I thought that their loss would either be at Ohio State or in-conference. Instead, a team with a legitimate shot at the G5 invite.

swizz posted:

I am more surprised by Boston College upending USC than I am ECU taking down Virginia Tech. Boston College hasn't made waves since Matt Ryan and I had become accustomed to the ACC version of Boston College being a bright spot on the schedule. ECU's program has a reputation nationwide is likely on par with the directional Michigan schools (if that good) but they are almost always much better than that and a complete pain in the rear end to play against. They are the ultimate trap team. You never get any credit for beating them and a blowout hardly raises an eyebrow. Lose and it's a disaster. I can't say anything to Virginia Tech fans, they beat us badly last season and they're probably going to do it again next Saturday in Greenville. I scanned the GDT thread and did not see any meltdowns so that is good.

swizz really nails it here between BC and ECU. I was very surprised to see BC win a game against a team that has more talent on the field. Whatever it is, it happened. Steve Addazio has actually been okay as a head coach. So much so that he might have been a good choice to become head coach at Florida, as long as he didn't run the offense. Guy loves to run the dang ball, though.
The upsets of two top ten teams made it hurt less, at least.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Yoshifan823 posted:

You mean every year Stanford beats Oregon and they spend the rest of the season a smoldering ruin of what they once appeared to be

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Sash! posted:

The South leads in whatever category it was. Punching wives, meth, education (lack of), fat people, diseases kids get when you decide Faygo Redpop is an acceptable drink for an infant, whatever.

Poverty?

"lol gently caress poor people" drat i expect better from you tff. smdh.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Sash! posted:

The South is the Big 10 of real life.

every
Apr 24, 2008

Aw man I woke up and Georgia still lost

Give me percocets

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Raku posted:

You mean every year Stanford LSU Arizona beats Oregon and they spend the rest of the season a smoldering ruin of what they once appeared to be

Sash! posted:

your football team located in the northeastern united states covered up a child rapist for 30 years and held a loving rally for the coach who helped do it not two days ago

Scionix fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 14, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

every posted:

Aw man I woke up and Georgia still lost

Give me percocets

Sorry your nevergood football team got overranked getting your hopes all up to lose to another good team.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Scionix posted:

your football team located in the northeastern united states covered up a child rapist for 30 years and held a loving rally for the coach who helped do it not two days ago

Central Pennsylvania is honorary south.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
On the one hand, Mizzou has played no one of note yet. But, they also have 3 20+ pt victories, which is encouraging. Also, despite what I said earlier in the GDT, the defense actually played well today. If they can maintain pressure on the QB they look pretty good.

Of course, between Mizzou and the crowd in the East I would definitely still pick the crowd. But I still expect them to make some noise. I would not be shocked if they repeated in the East, but I do not expect that. I do think they can compete with South Carolina and Georgia. And I think they still get treated like little kids in the SEC, the first SEC campaign certainly contributes to that, but I would be amazed if they finished worst than 3rd in their division.

Point is, I am pretty encouraged so far. I remember last year pretty much every week people expected the Tigers to poo poo the bed in conference. I expect the same this year. But I also expect a similar result this year, a lot of weeks of people being surprised.

Edit: I mention margin of victory not because I think hanging a lot of points on inferior teams is indicative of future success, but because Pinkel is notorious for not running up the score. I mean the Tigers have lost multiple games since I have paid attention to them because they shut down their offense too early. So any time they win by more than 20 strikes me as surprising.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 14, 2014

every
Apr 24, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

Sorry your nevergood football team got overranked getting your hopes all up to lose to another good team.

Thanks

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Some real-life Hatin' rear end Spurrier for you

Steve Spurrier posted:

I knew we had a good chance to beat them when I heard Finebaum pick them to win by 20.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Scionix posted:

I guess that's worse than slavery.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Spiritus Nox posted:

Really?

...I'm a little disappointed, really, considering their reputation.
Contrary to popular belief, the MOB is not really interested in getting barricaded inside the stadium by Aggies, and that was at Rice Stadium so backup was a bit easier to find.

Also the shows are written by a committee of students, are intentionally kept pretty far back from what most of us would consider edgy humor, and vary dramatically in quality from "that was pretty good" to "what the gently caress are those nerds talking about".

If you want a band with a reputation for edgy humor, you probably want Stanford.

every
Apr 24, 2008

rebel1608 posted:

Some real-life Hatin' rear end Spurrier for you

Pretty good but seemed like more of a Georgia pant making GBS threads to me

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

every posted:

Pretty good but seemed like more of a Georgia pant making GBS threads to me

We poo poo our pants pretty good near the end, but you guys outdid us in that regard I guess.

Related, Bobo is absolutely awful.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
He's fine until crunch time hits then he turns pants-on-head stupid

every
Apr 24, 2008

Give it to one of the best players in the country on a 1st and goal on the 4? That's what they expect us to do!!

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Florida State still probably deserves the #1 ranking so far. Oregon probably has the best win of the season but let's wait until week 6 or so until we get excited about who's ranked where.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Sash! posted:

I'm pretty sure the north leads in stupid yankees. And no kids are sucking down faygo in the South (mostly because it isn't sold there).

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
I have never seen an actual Faygo bottle. I count this as a victory for the south as a whole.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

wootmachine posted:

I have never seen an actual Faygo bottle. I count this as a victory for the south as a whole.

I believe it's more of a Midwestern thing.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
If you're shocked VT lost you haven't been actually watching college football ever in your life.

This was not some 12-0 miracle team. They'll finish with 8 or 9 wins(or maybe worse, who knows) but they were probably going to lose this game anyway and they were essentially a lock to do so when they beat OSU.

This was Beamer being Beamer, nothing's changed after OSU. Even Mike London beats a ranked team every now and then.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
Holy poo poo what a game for BG. Once our starting QB went down, and our star WR, a lot of people thought we'd be done for, especially after losing to WKU. Instead we have this fantastic game against Indiana, with scoring back and forth, at home even. Rogers is going to be a beast, and he's only a freshman, and Knapke is drat good as well (set a school record for completions and attempts (46/73) in only his 2nd ever start. Indiana kept shooting themselves in the foot at the end with penalties, but when we scored that last TD with 9 seconds left, I almost went crazy (if I didn't have a sleeping toddler next to me). Fantastic game, and I wish I had been there for it. This is our first win against a B14 team in a few years, though Indiana is improving. In that shithole excuse for a "BCS" conference, I wouldn't be surprised if they pull off a few upsets along the way and manage to get a bowl game.

We play Wisconsin next , which will be a challenge since they're the better team, and it's at Wisconsin. If we go into MAC play at 2-2, I'll be happy as that's where I was hoping we would be (just not with the loss against WKU)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I awoke this morning to a world where all was right once again. We actually won a game on a game ending field goal for one of the few times in our history. Its a Cyclone State.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Maxwells Demon posted:

Florida State still probably deserves the #1 ranking so far. Oregon probably has the best win of the season but let's wait until week 6 or so until we get excited about who's ranked where.

Being someone else's best win is probably the height of big ten ambition this year.

Also even Michigan has pickups with 40 army of northern virginia flags all loving over, so we can't poo poo on the south too much

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Nereid posted:

Just got back. USC-UGA was nuts. The delay was bullshit. It wasn't even raining but whatever. Once the game started the place went nuts.

Also Todd Gurley is a little bitch and that should have been offsetting penalties. Sorry you got tackled bro, don't headbutt a dude, you look classless.

lol classless yes. One play and the dude is just a piece of poo poo.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thoguh posted:

I awoke this morning to a world where all was right once again. We actually won a game on a game ending field goal for one of the few times in our history. Its a Cyclone State.

YISS! Cyclones. Time to blare the theme as a I walk into work past all the Hawkeye scrubs.

Also LOL @ the Southern bashing in this thread. Ya'll bout to earn a Jastiger edition custom title.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

wootmachine posted:

I bought the root beer once and it was unremarkable. Then again, I enjoy Mug so take that as you will.
Boise State got a win on the road, but we should have performed a lot better. This team is not beating BYU or San Diego State, that's for sure. I can compare the game to a poo poo that starts out kind of wet and you think "man I have diarrhea" but then it solidifies and then it takes a while to clean up and well that's Boise State football.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Texas tech defense is real bad. Or qb looks like a true soph with big eyes under the bright lights.

But god drat our defense is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

You'd think he would be really good and be able to score a touchdown at any time by using his time-out power, but whenever he tries it calls an actual time out so it doesn't work.

• Locked thread