Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KTBush
Sep 22, 2012

Admiral Bosch posted:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1981

"Ronald Reagan Cut Up While Talking." This one's pretty good. Read all the excerpts.

I was going to post that one.

Does anyone remember the one similar to this? The one where there's a DVR recording of a basketball game and every time it replays the people "inside" keep reliving it and eventually everyone goes loving nuts and there's child-sacrifice and orgies?

EDIT: Is The Hanged King's Tragedy a reference to "The King in Yellow"?

KTBush has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Sep 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

phenom64 posted:

I was going to post that one.

Does anyone remember the one similar to this? The one where there's a DVR recording of a basketball game and every time it replays the people "inside" keep reliving it and eventually everyone goes loving nuts and there's child-sacrifice and orgies?

yeah it's in the op

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Actually this is one of the funniest ones on the site

KTBush
Sep 22, 2012

g0lbez posted:

yeah it's in the op

Oh sorry, I was sure the title was "The Laker's Game" or something like that.

The whole "lost episode" or "lost tape" genre can actually be creepy if done right, like this and The Reagan Tape.

Instead you got hundreds of poo poo-stories trying to make 90s kids shows have hyper-violence and predict 9/11.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
This one is really clever and you should read it before you read the spoiler: It's a book of medical diseases that gives you whatever disease you read about until you die, at which point the disease vanishes.

After more testing and a lot of dead bodies and a big accident they figure out it just gives out hypochondria-by-proxy and makes everyone around you think you have a terrible disease.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i wrote a couple of these a while back. always meant to write more but after writing 555 and 1555, finding 2555 taken was kind of a downer

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

i wrote a couple of these a while back. always meant to write more but after writing 555 and 1555, finding 2555 taken was kind of a downer
Oh hey, I was just about to post that I like the one with the mountain and the mice, the second one. I like the weird exploration ones that don't try too hard like some of them do (the coral mentioned on the last page had promise but fell apart fast).

As for spooky-type ones, SCP-895 is pretty popular: the coffin where the closer you get to it, the more horrible things you see, but it turns out only people watching a video feed can see them. The guys in the control booth are freaking out and puking and the exploration team is just confused. It could have very easily been poorly handled, but I think the twist is pretty clever. That and the "live feed" gif on the page is a pretty cool idea.

Maybe it is try-hard, though, I have a bit of a tolerance for dumb horror and poorly written fiction.

Action Yak has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Sep 16, 2014

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I can't remember the number of it, but I liked the one that's a sort of psychic event where people start following an external script, and the outcome of it can range from a slapped face to a fullbore slaughter of everyone involved.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Fighting Trousers posted:

I can't remember the number of it, but I liked the one that's a sort of psychic event where people start following an external script, and the outcome of it can range from a slapped face to a fullbore slaughter of everyone involved.
At first I thought you meant The Hanged King's Tragedy (which is actually just a rip-off of The King in Yellow but still pretty good) but then I remembered the one I think you're actually talking about. They put 3-4 people in a little room, I think with some props, and a scene plays out, right?
There's a kind of similar one with a restaurant where different scenarios play out depending on different factors, and the last one is just "redacted, no survivors" (lame, I know). I don't know the numbers of either of those, though.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
What's the one SCP guy that constantly warps around in time? All I remember was one of his reports was about the future and that it was full of spiders.

THAT freaks me out. To be able to time travel without control or location.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Ringo Star Get posted:

What's the one SCP guy that constantly warps around in time? All I remember was one of his reports was about the future and that it was full of spiders.

THAT freaks me out. To be able to time travel without control or location.

Dimensional travel, actually. http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-507

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The best ones, in my opinion, are the more abstract horror ones. Big, unstoppable demon monsters are dull. Give me an innocuous disk that slowly makes me believe that my blood is sand or some poo poo.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Pierson posted:

This one is really clever and you should read it before you read the spoiler: It's a book of medical diseases that gives you whatever disease you read about until you die, at which point the disease vanishes.

After more testing and a lot of dead bodies and a big accident they figure out it just gives out hypochondria-by-proxy and makes everyone around you think you have a terrible disease.

This is loving brilliant. I just can't express how brilliant and well-done it is. It points out very well some of the flaws in empirical observation and scientific thought in general. And in the way the folks at the Foundation think.

All around good one. (And it isn't like 8 pages long.)

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Action Yak Police posted:

At first I thought you meant The Hanged King's Tragedy (which is actually just a rip-off of The King in Yellow but still pretty good) but then I remembered the one I think you're actually talking about. They put 3-4 people in a little room, I think with some props, and a scene plays out, right?

Are you thinking of 205? I really wish I had put that in the OP actually.

But alas they all pale before the greatest of all SCPs, the 50-AE-J :911: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-50-ae-j

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

atomicthumbs posted:

You wrote 1555? Good job, it was a serious House of Leaves style mindscrew.

durrr post is not edit

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
OK, I need to admit that Just A Chair was actually really, really clever. http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2950

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Just found one with potential for hilarity:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-even-number-j

I ended up with:

Item #: SCP-3-J

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-3-J is to be kept in a pizza-lined containment chamber located in Alcatrz, where it is to be guarded at all times by no less than 5 doctors armed with toothbrush.

In the event that SCP-3-J ever begins flying its head, Higglesworth is to throw SCP-3-J until it ceases its behavior. In the event of a containment breach, Mobile Task Force omega-7 (''M*A*S*H'') is to be dispatched to SCP-3-J's last known location.

Description: SCP-3-J is a verily tiger. Like most members of its species, it is able to ran eagle, and regularly eats twice its own weight in pizza each day.

SCP-3-J's unusual properties manifest whenever it comes in contact with trees, which causes it to turn into sink. Whenever this happens, all cheese within a 42 kilometer radius will begin to lift uncontrollably, usually leading to civilian casualties.

In addition, many researchers feel it has an uncanny resemblance to Elvis. Whether or not this is at all related to SCP-3-J's anomalous properties is unknown at this time.

Recovery Log: SCP-3-J was first located in Lebensraum where the Titans were using it in order to destroy all life on earth. Thankfully, Mobile Task Force omega-7 (''M*A*S*H'') was able to recover the object with only 89687 civilian casualties.

Canemacar has a new favorite as of 06:15 on Sep 17, 2014

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Canemacar posted:

Just found one with potential for hilarity:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-even-number-j

I ended up with:

Item #: SCP-3-J

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-3-J is to be kept in a pizza-lined containment chamber located in Alcatrz, where it is to be guarded at all times by no less than 5 doctors armed with toothbrush.

In the event that SCP-3-J ever begins flying its head, Higglesworth is to throw SCP-3-J until it ceases its behavior. In the event of a containment breach, Mobile Task Force omega-7 (''M*A*S*H'') is to be dispatched to SCP-3-J's last known location.

Description: SCP-3-J is a verily tiger. Like most members of its species, it is able to ran eagle, and regularly eats twice its own weight in pizza each day.

SCP-3-J's unusual properties manifest whenever it comes in contact with trees, which causes it to turn into sink. Whenever this happens, all cheese within a 42 kilometer radius will begin to lift uncontrollably, usually leading to civilian casualties.

In addition, many researchers feel it has an uncanny resemblance to Elvis. Whether or not this is at all related to SCP-3-J's anomalous properties is unknown at this time.

Recovery Log: SCP-3-J was first located in Lebensraum where the Titans were using it in order to destroy all life on earth. Thankfully, Mobile Task Force omega-7 (''M*A*S*H'') was able to recover the object with only 89687 civilian casualties.

It's even better if you leave the form completely blank.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I quite like the bag of infinite potatoes. The exploration report just appeals to me for some reason. That and the Dial-A-Llama, which is short enough and just the right kind of weird to be funny.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I think the site would be a lot better if they outright banned intentionally referencing anything from other articles except for the basic concept of the SCP foundation and how it works.

I like to check the site every few weeks and just spend a few hours reading the latest entries because I'm a big nerd but I feel like 90% of them try to fit into some grand bullshit mythos or tell some lovely story across multiple SCPs or reference pre-established organizations and characters that some sperglord made up five hundred articles ago and it just takes me completely out of it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

HMS Boromir posted:

I think the site would be a lot better if they outright banned intentionally referencing anything from other articles except for the basic concept of the SCP foundation and how it works.

I like to check the site every few weeks and just spend a few hours reading the latest entries because I'm a big nerd but I feel like 90% of them try to fit into some grand bullshit mythos or tell some lovely story across multiple SCPs or reference pre-established organizations and characters that some sperglord made up five hundred articles ago and it just takes me completely out of it.

There were apparently a lot of people that were posting all sorts of poo poo "in character" and turning it into some sort of free form role playing thing. Free form role playing is almost always terrible because people would think "I can do anything" literally meant "I can do anything." Quality and any semblance of sanity went right out the window, teenagers inserting themselves became rampant, and every idiot with a keyboard suddenly wanted to be part of it but they wanted to be the top level doctor that made all the decisions. Popular articles got referenced and people were competing to see who could come up with the thing that hurt 682 the most.

Coming up with one specific mythos and keeping it consistent while telling stories would work if it was one or a few people carefully controlling the narrative. That was not what happened and there was a period were the SCP Foundation was an absolute trainwreck. This directly makes fun of the idiocy that some people got up to http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-777-j.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Most of them nowadays aren't Sephiroth Goku the Stampede so that's certainly an improvement, but there's still this sour taste either of SCP writers egging me on to read all their sweet TVTropes-style world-built cross-article fiction and piece together how gosh-darned clever they are, or of people so far in the negatives on the originality scale that they make fanfiction for what was already barely holding together as an original work by including some ham-fisted reference to Dr. Wondertainment or AWCY or MCD or what the gently caress ever.

Basically I'm mad that the bad writing I like isn't slightly better in a very specific way and I'm here to tell you about it.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

I quite like the bag of infinite potatoes. The exploration report just appeals to me for some reason. That and the Dial-A-Llama, which is short enough and just the right kind of weird to be funny.

So far, the Infinite Potatoes one is my favourite. The exploration report does really make it though =P

If their numbers were right, they got about 35km before they ran out. And started a new tunnel. So, they had to start doing it by hand then. Well. That'd suck.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Can't remember the name or number, but the one that is a door that opens up into a labyrinth, complete with some sort of roaming monster is a good one.

It's not scary until you realize that in order for other people to have entered it while the Foundation has been in control of it, there must be multiple entrances to the maze. Remember that the next time you open a door you've never gone through before.

Dunno if it was posted yet, but the stone circle and mirror one has some of the best exploration logs on the site.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

You wrote 1555? Good job, it was a serious House of Leaves style mindscrew.

durrr post is not edit
Nah, but that is a good one. It's literally as I described it: the Foundation puts 3-4 class D's into a contained room with whatever the object is, and they act out a scene. It might not even be a popular one, I used to go down the list in order reading them. Maybe that's not even what he was referring to, I don't know.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There were apparently a lot of people that were posting all sorts of poo poo "in character" and turning it into some sort of free form role playing thing. Free form role playing is almost always terrible because people would think "I can do anything" literally meant "I can do anything." Quality and any semblance of sanity went right out the window, teenagers inserting themselves became rampant, and every idiot with a keyboard suddenly wanted to be part of it but they wanted to be the top level doctor that made all the decisions. Popular articles got referenced and people were competing to see who could come up with the thing that hurt 682 the most.

Coming up with one specific mythos and keeping it consistent while telling stories would work if it was one or a few people carefully controlling the narrative. That was not what happened and there was a period were the SCP Foundation was an absolute trainwreck. This directly makes fun of the idiocy that some people got up to http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-777-j.

I think the only good thing that ever came out of anything remotely similar to this was the exploration logs of the disc/mirror world as narrated by that one SCP that's a snail or a slug or something but can talk and acts like an incredibly eccentric billionaire.

...okay maybe that was dumb too, but I thought it was funny/interesting because it meant there were MORE EXPLORATION LOGS :science:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Canemacar posted:

#231 always bothered me the most. I always got the sense it was some creepy nerd's justification for rape.

The best explanation I've heard for it is that it's a "loyalty test", which you fail if you go and try to rescue her, and that all that's in the chamber is really "a bored man with a shotgun".

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

SCP 2317 is a take on 231, starting from its number (the little girl is SCP 231-7), but with a twist. It gradually reveals information via multiple pages, so it can feel a bit of a slog, but builds a nice crescendo if you stick with it.
Another SCP with ritualistic containment procedures done really well is 1746, at first it seems lolrandom, but then it makes perfect scientific sense.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

LupusAter posted:

Another SCP with ritualistic containment procedures done really well is 1746, at first it seems lolrandom, but then it makes perfect scientific sense.
No, it still seems pretty LOLRANDOM so far. Where's the scientific sense?

Also, re: 231-7, I actually remember it before that improvement. Somebody on TVTropes said "as horrible as the whole thing is, at least we know she's over 10 years old", then somebody from SCP responded "Ooh, yes, that would make things so much worse, thanks for the suggestion".

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

darthbob88 posted:

No, it still seems pretty LOLRANDOM so far. Where's the scientific sense?

Well, scientific as in scientific method. These unstoppable storms were stopped once, when a particular chain of events was the proverbial butterfly flapping its wing, so they repeated them and found out what it took to make it work again. This creates the need for an highly trained task force requiring squirrel handlers.
I say it makes scientific sense since in a lots of fields some procedures are literally "don't know exactly how, but it works, so keep doing that"

LupusAter has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Sep 17, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Action Yak Police posted:

Oh hey, I was just about to post that I like the one with the mountain and the mice, the second one.
That one's really good. The exploration log alone is great and would make for a pretty decent art horror movie in the vein of Cube, but taken together with the SCP description you realize there's actually some sort of purpose to it and it's not just "weird complex."

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Canemacar posted:

#231 always bothered me the most. I always got the sense it was some creepy nerd's justification for rape.

Even worse is this bit, from the discussion page:

Sick fucks who write this crap posted:

'Just say something like "young female of unknown age", and let our imaginations take over from there.'

No, because most people would then assume her to be a teenager or a young woman, and no one would ever assume she is a child.

That's right. This one entails repeatedly raping and torturing a little girl until she gives birth to a monster, then erasing her memory so that every time is the first.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In the same vein, you've got:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-10101-j

It gets a bit more biting with it's satire.

Astrofig posted:

Even worse is this bit, from the discussion page:

That is why I never read comments sections. I don't want to know how much thought they've put into their rape-porn-as-SCP article.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Canemacar posted:

In the same vein, you've got:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-10101-j

It gets a bit more biting with it's satire.

That was actually the one I looked for. I guess I didn't dig deep enough. Oh well! Thanks for finding it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The acorns were actually apple seeds. It started with the vending machine that takes only Yen and gives out snacks based on how much you feed it. Sometimes absurd things came out of it and the machine would apparently give more ancient snack types if old bills were put in and really, really incredible things if lots of money was put in. One of the researchers gave it one Yen to see what would happen and it gave him an apple seed. The machine apparently got pissed off and mangled reality to keep giving the guy apple seeds when interacting with other SCPs. Kind of a funny touch.

I think I might have been the one to start spreading that into other articles.

This is the best incident report.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I can't help but feel these would be better if they ditched the constant F-Type Secure Facility LINGO Protocols. That and censorship boxes over everything except information that's actually worth censoring.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Perfect. Just perfect.

A short film of this would be amazing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tunicate posted:

Strega Nonna told you not to gently caress with the pot, Big Anthony! She warned you, bro!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

RickVoid posted:

Can't remember the name or number, but the one that is a door that opens up into a labyrinth, complete with some sort of roaming monster is a good one.

It's not scary until you realize that in order for other people to have entered it while the Foundation has been in control of it, there must be multiple entrances to the maze. Remember that the next time you open a door you've never gone through before.

Dunno if it was posted yet, but the stone circle and mirror one has some of the best exploration logs on the site.

Is the stone circle 093? What is the mirror?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Frostwerks posted:

Is the stone circle 093? What is the mirror?

093 functions by being placed on a mirror. The mirror becomes a portal.