Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Dado needs no backstory. Every lightning-in-a-bottle sci fi or horror character who gets more backstory gets worse over time. The weeping angels from Dr Who, the Borg from Star Trek, the Sith from Star Wars. It just takes a fun thing and reduces it. One of the joys of the scp format is the incomplete information. We usually don’t know the history or the why, and if we did it would make the story less compelling.

Leave dado alone the banana pill is one of my favorite scps. Dude was both technically correct and, in the end, effective, and that’s fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
I hope dado dies in real life.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
dado's backstory is that dado wants to be a successful businessman like jeff bezos and dado has a broken shift key and a hamster

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
This is better than “dado talks seriously to the Marshall Carter dark rep” but much worse than “we have no clue who or what dado is”

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

If you can explain an anomaly like dado, dado is no longer an anomaly.

"He's a demon summoned to take over the weird drugs department" is a terrible backstory and removes what makes dado dado.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
I feel like being the dude who made GAW means I shouldn’t be throwing stones in my house made of incredibly fragile glass, but I can’t loving take dado even a little seriously.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I really don’t think you’re supposed to.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

dado is excellent as a two-or-three time joke concept, minimalist and clean: the second you keep forcing it to go on the entire structure of the concept evaporates and the magic is killed

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

dado works great if you can keep your article a) funny and b) under 2000 words

Akumeoy
Aug 6, 2022

extremely large and incredibly huge
I stopped finding dado funny after the first article, so it's at least a nice change of pace from the status quo for him. I don't know if I would particularly care about the article otherwise, though, and giving lore to one of the most annoying recurring characters on the site seems kind of pointless.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dado takes all the weird sketchy possibly ai generated amazon stores and other weird semireal businesses just a little further. Making him a demon misses the point

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Dado takes all the weird sketchy possibly ai generated amazon stores and other weird semireal businesses just a little further. Making him a demon misses the point

Except he does give you exactly what he said he would.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zereth posted:

I rest my case

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Have... have there always been two shift keys on a standard keyboard? I swear that this is some Mandela-effect level nonsense, there's two shift keys?

Absolutely not.

RC01214
Apr 14, 2013
Yes, but no one I know ever uses both, only one. Also digital keyboards only have one shift key.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

RC01214 posted:

Yes, but no one I know ever uses both, only one. Also digital keyboards only have one shift key.

Now you've got me thinking about whether or not I use both shift keys when typing.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Right shift is for conmen and, like, virtualbox.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Zereth posted:

Yeah, I also think making dado a Faustian-bargain figure is missing the point. If you want to do a serious dado (which I'm not sure you should, since I'm on the "this concept works when it is brief, funny, and in very small doses" train), the most interesting part of him is the idea that he's legitimately trying to do business and provide a quality service as requested, but whatever paradigm he's working under is so inhuman and his communication skills so lacking that you get Dado Results. Just making him a demon that fucks with people is boring and obvious.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I don't think I've seen it in here, but there's an ongoing series of short films for the "There is No Anti-Antimemetics Division" stories.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLm3ywOKVBeAp1CmOhpsfueY2U5cLN84wN

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

postmodifier posted:

Have... have there always been two shift keys on a standard keyboard? I swear that this is some Mandela-effect level nonsense, there's two shift keys?

Absolutely not.

Along similar lines, have you ever noticed there's a "Fax" printer in your printer dialog on Windows? Even on Windows 10/11, and even if your computer doesn't have a modem (like pretty much every computer made for the last 20 years)?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

dado's entire concept seems it'd work much better if *he* was the one accidentally entrapping an ancient mega demon with wild deals and oddly-worded contracts, with the demon thinking it's winning the entire time until suddenly it's now the Customer Complaints hotline agent

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's pretty simple. An eldritch god somehow got a hold of an Earth internet connection and their inability to understand normal human wants and motivations confused it into thinking humans needed a backronymed dado.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't think I've seen it in here, but there's an ongoing series of short films for the "There is No Anti-Antimemetics Division" stories.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLm3ywOKVBeAp1CmOhpsfueY2U5cLN84wN

LOL, from the last part:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mr.Radar posted:

LOL, from the last part:

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

This one gets creepy fast.