Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Honestly, most of these are pretty lame or carbon copies of better scifi stories, but this one works well.

Yeah, it took a while to wrap my head around it, but it is pretty drat cool. Apparently initially it was even more subtle, as you had to go through the in-wiki revision history to get the full story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

DeusExMachinima posted:

Tryhards & 2random4u: An Abbreviated Selection

586: Inscribable Object

I really disagree with this. Maybe the bit at the end about researchers trying to blame their typos on it feels tacked on but the concept of a report on something that's impossible to describe is kinda neat. :shobon:

Lamprey Cannon posted:

This is one I wrote something like three years ago. I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking at the time.

This is actually one of my favorites. Just... ow. Ow.

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

Canemacar posted:

Here's a good one. Tupac Shakur as a crime-fighting ghost/angel who clowns the whole organisation.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2137

In the comments the writer is claiming to actually be Max Landis.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I seem to remember a good one about a ship made from flesh and bone, but I can't find it. The mouse cannon is really good, too.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
EDIT: I was wrong.

Roro has a new favorite as of 20:54 on Sep 19, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Planet Piss posted:

In the comments the writer is claiming to actually be Max Landis.

https://twitter.com/Uptomyknees/status/509429507015864321

welp

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Alright, lemme catch up with a few that I missed.

Frostwerks posted:

Does anyone know the one where there is a hole that leads to other worlds with other SCP foundations and such? It was top notch.

e: It was 1437. It's still pretty good but not as good as I remember.

Or maybe you were thinking of 1322? http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1322

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Has someone posted the story concerning how amnesiacs aren't actually a drug, but a program in which people are brainwashed through torture?

http://www.scp-wiki.net/a-man-at-the-top-of-his-profession

bobjr posted:

I always liked the one about the drink machine that was super literal and could give almost anything you asked for. That and the one where they find a series of tapes about some crew in the wilderness finding weirder and weirder stuff until it just ends. Like other people have said outside of a few I really don't like the "X that can end the world!" ones.

Drink machine: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-294
And the second is Video Oddity. It's mostly good. http://www.scp-wiki.net/video-oddity
Data lost. The disk has been overwritten with several episodes of the anime Cowboy Bebop.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Thats something that gets in the way of me enjoying more of these stories. Between this and the monthly slaughtering of all their Class-D test people, the Foundation is so mustache twirlingly evil that I just start hating everyone in them. Whats the point in securing a video camera that records a bit funny when the group doing it kill more people every year than half the things they're locking up?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Canemacar posted:

Thats something that gets in the way of me enjoying more of these stories. Between this and the monthly slaughtering of all their Class-D test people, the Foundation is so mustache twirlingly evil that I just start hating everyone in them. Whats the point in securing a video camera that records a bit funny when the group doing it kill more people every year than half the things they're locking up?
Yeah. You have to be willing to ignore bits of it, I feel like. And certainly monthly exterminations are high on that list.

I don't mind them doing morally uncomfortable things, even very uncomfortable things, as long as there's good reason for it. But a lot of what people write about goes beyond that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think the official policy is that there's no such thing as a canon, so any articles you dislike aren't really part of how the Foundation works.

That said, I love every SPC.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Canemacar posted:

Who said D-class personnel were all people? One of the interesting things about SCP is that they sometimes allude to D-Class personnel frequently coming from Death Row or being extreme criminals offered a chance to get out of their life sentences. I also kind of figured that they had some other way of getting an endless supply of expendable person-shaped things from some other dimension. Or clones or something gently caress I don't know.

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

Well that's pretty cool. It's a good entry too, too bad the rest of the comments are nitpicking his grammar and lack of jargon.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Who said D-class personnel were all people? One of the interesting things about SCP is that they sometimes allude to D-Class personnel frequently coming from Death Row or being extreme criminals offered a chance to get out of their life sentences. I also kind of figured that they had some other way of getting an endless supply of expendable person-shaped things from some other dimension. Or clones or something gently caress I don't know.

Yeah there's a coffin SCP that produces criminally insane clones of people with a lifespan of months, I think.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
This one is corny as hell, but I still like it and the ending is :3:

SCP-2063

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

This one is corny as hell, but I still like it and the ending is :3:

SCP-2063

Was expecting this one, given your intro.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

quote:

It has been noted that when a mixed group of researchers and D-class participate in the same Landing Event, subjects other than D-class usually emerge unscathed. For this reason, it is recommended that at least one D-class personnel accompany any researcher or group of researchers wishing to study a Landing Event firsthand.

:lol::lol::lol:

This and the pasta mission are going straight into the OP.

e: also added SCP-106 and The Young Man.

DeusExMachinima has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Sep 20, 2014

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Tunicate posted:

Was expecting this one, given your intro.

Another favorite of mine under the mythology/eschatology umbrella. The interview is the best part.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There are a couple I remember liking that I can't find.

- The already mentioned eye-pods that are like dogs that can keep 173 locked down

- A family of sentient knit dolls. One terrifying thing that happens is that one of the kids gets a cut and tries to hide it from the parents. When the parents find out they completely unravel the kid and rebuilt her, basically killing her.

- Sentient man who exists as a minor character(Bob I think?) in books/written works and can jump from book to book. He can be talked to by writing a transcript down and letting him jump to it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

RatHat posted:

There are a couple I remember liking that I can't find.

- The already mentioned eye-pods that are like dogs that can keep 173 locked down
I know those guys. I feel like they got excised for basically being too cute and nonthreatening, though.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Canemacar posted:

I usually just ignore that part as dumb "lol so evul" stuff.

In my mind unless they're dealing with something so dangerous that letting the people who work on it live would cause problems, they probably just assign D-class to each SCP who work on it indefinitely.

Although now I'm just imagining like a crusty old D-class who was assigned to 173 who'd been there forever, rolling his eyes (once he leaves the enclosure of course) at that idiot who got himself killed by the drat statue because he couldn't follow instructions.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

RatHat posted:

- Sentient man who exists as a minor character(Bob I think?) in books/written works and can jump from book to book. He can be talked to by writing a transcript down and letting him jump to it.

Fred! I can't remember the number either. He just wants to watch all the good stories. I feel like someone wanted to capture the love of reading into an SCP. He's got a "wish camera" entry, too.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

I can't remember which one it is, but there was one about a telepathic spider. Just a chill spiderbro, trying to get his groove on and unable to process how huge the researcher is compared to him. At the end, spiderbro dies and they keep his enclosure up almost as a tribute. Wish I could remember the number.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I don't have a link to it, but there was an tale or whatever they call pieces that aren't actual SCP entries about the "termination" of D-class. They scrub 'em clean with amnesiacs and throw them into the introduction/orientation facility with actual fresh D-class and low level workers. Of course, there are some SCPs that actually would require incinerating anything that has been tainted, kinda like mad cow disease or scrapie.

I posted this in my list of favorites, but Nkondi (African version of The Exorcist) has a good "everybody dies" bit. Reminds me more of someone dropping a sample of ebola virus or spilling some insane acid or base in a lab rather than the bland scenarios that a lot of SCPs have. There's no blazing guns or awesome sword fights or nukes dropped.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RaspberryCommie posted:

In my mind unless they're dealing with something so dangerous that letting the people who work on it live would cause problems, they probably just assign D-class to each SCP who work on it indefinitely.

The assumption I made was that any D-Class personnel who were competent and loyal enough got promoted. In the case of death row inmates or high end criminals it was like "well you could go back to jail/die or you could work for us. Up to you, really." Sure, most of them would be total shits that weren't worth it but I imagine some would be all like "yeah you know that's an OK deal." Especially considering that things like SCP need to get up to blatantly illegal nonsense just to do what they do having some hardened criminals on the payroll wouldn't be a terrible idea. Conversely having a small team of people who really, really like to kill and break things would be useful for that sort of organization. "Well see there's this thing rampaging around that's really hard to kill. I'm talking like almost impossible. Thing is dangerous as hell and we need somebody to go take it out."

Or maybe I'm just over thinking it. It's a neat thought exercise to try and figure out how that kind of organization would actually function, though, especially considering that it would exist in a world where completely insane things happen. Can't break if you're already broken.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 05:26 on Sep 20, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Fred! I can't remember the number either. He just wants to watch all the good stories. I feel like someone wanted to capture the love of reading into an SCP. He's got a "wish camera" entry, too.
423 - the Self-Inserting Character.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Found the ones I was looking for.

RatHat posted:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-131

quote:

- A family of sentient knit dolls. One terrifying thing that happens is that one of the kids gets a cut and tries to hide it from the parents. When the parents find out they completely unravel the kid and rebuilt her, basically killing her.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-670

RatHat has a new favorite as of 05:49 on Sep 20, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

Tryhards & 2random4u: An Abbreviated Selection

682: Hard-to-Destroy Lizard

You picked the wrong link for it.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

RaspberryCommie posted:

I usually just ignore that part as dumb "lol so evul" stuff.

Although now I'm just imagining like a crusty old D-class who was assigned to 173 who'd been there forever, rolling his eyes (once he leaves the enclosure of course) at that idiot who got himself killed by the drat statue because he couldn't follow instructions.

Now I'm imagining Scruffy the Janitor as a class D and you know what? It works. He's the kind of guy who could see a rampaging abomination of all understood principles of time and space, and just flip to the next page of his titty mag.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

RatHat posted:

Found the ones I was looking for.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-131
Oh, so they are still around. Good. :)

edit:

quote:

Item #: SCP-2901

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-2901 are to be contained in a small one bedroom home. The home is to be monitored at all times and SCP-2xxx are not allowed to leave the home without another authorised personal. SCP-xxx are allowed to use their computer and phone one hour a day, and if they talk about their location to anyone their phone and computer will be [DATA EXSPUNGED].

Description: SCP-2901 are a pair of identical twin females with opposite personalities and abilities. Both are born on the 21st of October, [year unknown] and born in St. Louis, Missouri. The twins were discovered on [Data Expunged] while they where secretly using their powers. After some time, both twins decide to join the foundation to understand their powers.

Alice, who is the older twin by exaclty 5 minutes has water abilities. She is able to make water from her hand, turn into water, and uses water to cause floods in the foundation if not contained. She is known to be girlie and wear dresses, bright colored tops and high heels. She loves healthy food and pop music like Spice Girls and Lady Gaga.

Mandy, is the dark twin with fire abilities. She is able to turn into fire and do fire art. She has been seen to create a jumprope out of fire and jump with it , without it causes harm to herself. Others on the other hand should be careful while Mandy is playing with fire. Mandy is mostly seen wearing goth and listening to death metal. She likes to taunt the foundation personal and mess with class D.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 06:36 on Sep 20, 2014

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Strudel Man posted:

Mandy is mostly seen wearing goth and listening to death metal. She likes to taunt the foundation personal and mess with class D.

Aww, I didn't know that the SCP Foundation had a high school for their troubled youths. I wonder if they get to go the the X-Men College after they graduate :shobon:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Here's a classic from the early depths of the internet, Ted's Caving Page. If you like the exploration log SCPs this is right up your alley. I've done some light caving and this story gives me some close-to-home heebie-jeebies.

Another site that smells of SCP is Ever Dream This Man?. Worth checking out if you like SCP articles.

ninja edit double post gently caress

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BobbyDrake posted:

I can't remember which one it is, but there was one about a telepathic spider. Just a chill spiderbro, trying to get his groove on and unable to process how huge the researcher is compared to him. At the end, spiderbro dies and they keep his enclosure up almost as a tribute. Wish I could remember the number.

Reckon that would be this one. It's one of the better ones, to be sure.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

Tunicate posted:

That said, I love every SPC.

I just want to throw out the Orientation speech for The Shark Punching Center.

The best loving audio adaptations of a few of the best things on this site that deserve to be in an Audio format. I only wish there were more radio-plays and stuff, but I can certainly settle for X-COM: Terror From The Deep.

loving Lobstermen.

EDIT: I figure I should contribute a bit more, so why not discuss arguably one of the best things on the site: Yellowstone National Park. Why is Yellowstone an SCP? Because no one who works in The Foundation knows what or where it is, or that it was there to begin with. Think about how incredulous that statement seems. Why do they not know of a significant historical and cultural landmark that quite possibly every schoolkid in America has heard of at least in passing?

Because they've forgotten. SCP-2000 is a gigantic underground bunker hidden in Yellowstone as a failsafe in case the world gets severely hosed up. You would think someone would want to remember they have a facility designed to last through an XK or ZK potential reality destroying event, but no one, not even the O5 Command know what the gently caress happened there. Because it has been used at least once before they found it again.

Now, that entry is written by quite possibly the best author on the site, FortuneFavorsBold, and that's a really hard statement to back up. I'm pretty sure he's a goon, and posted in one of the GBS threads already, but he's the guy responsible for things like The Temporal Anomalies Department, with probably the best Orientation Letter short of the SPC video noted above.

The guy takes the concept of time and proceeds to wreck your brain with how time travel could work in a very...well, hard to explain, you really have to read them. And I really do suggest reading them AGAIN after you have finished the page, and see how many loops have actually happened within that space of time you just read about. I believe the highest loop-within-event-within-timeline-within-"oh god my brain is hurting why did you make the Zybourne Clock" count is up to 5 or 6 in one of the early ones. I'll leave that to you to find to find them.

So, why not start from the beginning? Or is it the end?

Faust IX has a new favorite as of 10:25 on Sep 20, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Faust IX posted:

Because they've forgotten. SCP-2000 is a gigantic underground bunker hidden in Yellowstone as a failsafe in case the world gets severely hosed up.
I actually really dislike this one, because the idea that they can reconstruct the world from destruction and have in fact done so repeatedly is both really dumb and also basically destroys any sense of significance or urgency in the idea that they're "protecting" anything.

Basically just ignore this.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

I actually really dislike this one, because the idea that they can reconstruct the world from destruction and have in fact done so repeatedly is both really dumb and also basically destroys any sense of significance or urgency in the idea that they're "protecting" anything.

Basically just ignore this.

On the other hand, if you can wave away the disbelief of the thing working at all, it's an interesting concept because it's doing things that shouldn't be done: using objects on other objects to do things that are extraordinary. That's more of a Chaos Insurgency sort of thing. And that's kind of the beauty of that article: it takes a bunch of stuff that on its own stands pretty well, but combines objects to create something greater than the sum of its parts.

I do think you're slightly wrong on what it actually says there, but I don't blame you for reading the line wrong. The reason there is at least one loop is the factor of loving up history enough to accidentally cause the seed and ideas for things that, given the history as it was, is very much a gigantic change in history. Like, going further back than 20 years runs the risk of there being just enough variation to do something terrible.

"Besides, how much of the 20th-2█th centuries do we really want to re-write, and how many times? Isn’t one ‘Great War’ hard enough to keep track of?" being followed by "Currently pursuing official documentation update to account for this change. Two World Wars is plenty. We do not need to hazard a third." demonstrates that loop getting changed enough to influence a SECOND World War that was not there the first time around. For all intents and purposes, that first timeline never happened now, and the one that you are remembering (in-universe) is something that may have already happened.

The better point to be making, time shenangins aside, is that it's using a couple of things, most notably 963-2 to run a cloning lab that is supposed to both clone and implant consciousness into the human that comes out into the new world, but has failed spectacularly once before. The crazy mutated comatose humanoids that came out of it were, well, inhuman in every sense of the word, but that leads to a better question. What if we aren't the same mold as the technology uses? Are we still "Human", or are we now a living anachronism, something that barely resembles what we were before using this very literal Deus Ex Machina?

Did you get a feeling of deja vu you couldn't really define when you looked at the infohazard picture? Remember them.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Faust IX posted:

Now, that entry is written by quite possibly the best author on the site, FortuneFavorsBold, and that's a really hard statement to back up.

He also wrote a pretty tone-perfect Rick and Morty/SCP crossover

quote:

Rick reached into a bag and pulled out an orange jumpsuit, tossing it into Morty’s face. “Now quick, put this on.”

Morty held up the jumpsuit with a look of shocked fear. “UUuuhh Rick?”

“Don’t argue with me. Morty! You wanna be locked up forever? Is that what you want?” He barked.

“Bbbbbbut where’s yours, Rick? Y’Know? I’m not the only one. Who-Who needs a disguise here!”

“I’m a scientist, Morty. My whole life is a disguise for these idiots. Come on!”

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Qwerinty posted:

Probably favorite one is 342 - Ticket to Ride. That one is actually unsettling to me.

See, I can't stand this one, because it really exemplifies one of the big problems with a lot of the writing on this site: no one knows when to stop. They just keep going on and on, and it's getting dumber and dumber but there's still two more logs to get through. They have this pet idea that's just so great that they can't stop talking about it.

I mean, it shouldn't be surprising that random people writing stories for a horror wiki aren't going to be masters of horror but christ this just gets so hilariously dumb:

quote:

His last reported observation of Agent Strahm states that he saw "a creature, kind of like an enormous spider, but wearing a conductor's hat, looking up from the levers, wrapping Jerry in a web, like a cocoon, and then throwing him through the window, like it was air." The creature then turned towards Agent Erin and ordered him to exit the train, at which point Agent Erin lost consciousness from terror.

Now, if someone were to write a joke article about the Spider Railways Corporation, that would be great.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The conductor hat was lame but I really loving dig that one anyway.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Kinda stumbled into this and read 093, which had awesome atmospheric surrealism that tends to define the better works of suspense, but man...they couldn'tve dropped the ball harder when they brought the reveal. Weird eldritch alien stuff is all well and good, but it was so eye-rollingly melodramatic about it, and "sinister religion" was used in such a tiresomely cliche fashion.

Are there any entries which set up a good premise but steadfastly avoid ruining it later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.

Fighting Trousers posted:

I can't remember the number of it, but I liked the one that's a sort of psychic event where people start following an external script, and the outcome of it can range from a slapped face to a fullbore slaughter of everyone involved.

Action Yak Police posted:

There's a kind of similar one with a restaurant where different scenarios play out depending on different factors, and the last one is just "redacted, no survivors" (lame, I know). I don't know the numbers of either of those, though.
SCP-453 - Scripted Nightclub

SCP-1295 - Meg's Diner is also a pretty good one.

It's the Four Horsemen.

Daraken has a new favorite as of 06:24 on Oct 1, 2014