Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
This thread sucks, I'm going to have dozens of scp links tabbed for days now. Thanks a lot.

I also agree that I prefer strange SCPs over super dangerous end of the world Keter BS. My favorite by far is the vending machine one. I'm a sucker for anything involving parallel worlds and realities. I also like anything dealing with long lost ancient civilizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I like that the butler is nearly perfect at everything, except giving a haircut.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's a nice detail that Deeds isn't supernaturally perfect at any task.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I really like the SCPs that aren't even scary, just weird and bizarre. Like the Sea-Slug gentleman, or the talking horse, or the statue that only has any effect on Meerkats.

Or stuff like an endlessly debating bathtub.

Like, on the one hand its a bit silly, but its just so goddamn surreal.

Ed: or stuff like this. I don't want to spoil it, but its a cool Keter class astronomical SCP thats not dangerous because it kills people or whatever, its because its so hard to suppress and the ever present danger of who else might see it.

MinistryofLard has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Oct 5, 2014

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Zekky posted:

My favourite scp is probably http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-089.

This one is great and is one of the few examples of the final pice being censored and it helps the story.

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013
348 is both sweet and a bit cheesy, and 1370 is adorably goofy.

I'd forgot this website existed and have spent a good part of the past few days looking through the top-rated articles. 231 and that stupid Unstoppable Death Lizard are both highly ranked, but there are some gems there too. As stated upthread, 106 is genuinely pretty scary, in no small part due to the pictures used :ohdear:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

MinistryofLard posted:

Ed: or stuff like this. I don't want to spoil it, but its a cool Keter class astronomical SCP thats not dangerous because it kills people or whatever, its because its so hard to suppress and the ever present danger of who else might see it.
We are the Foundation
We are here to protect you
We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

I've always liked this one: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-529

Short, simple, and kinda :3: to boot.

I want one.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Unstoppable Death Machine Best Lizard Ever is somewhat ruined by the overexposure and that apparently some people use it as a cheap litmus test to show how oh my god so scary you guys other ones are (it's afraid of the goddamn sculpture? Come the gently caress on) and the fact that the photo used is a goddamn beached whale carcass.

After some reading, my favorite scary one is probably "The Doorman", for being something that isn't directly harmful but such an effective and visceral psych-out it can lead to people wrecking themselves.

I'm not sure about 134. On one hand, it's kind of adorable and I like the idea of them just helping out a plain old autistic kid (who takes her number very seriously). On the other hand, there's nothing really all that strange about her other than the freaky eye thing going on.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Mazed posted:

Unstoppable Death Machine Best Lizard Ever is somewhat ruined by the overexposure and that apparently some people use it as a cheap litmus test to show how oh my god so scary you guys other ones are (it's afraid of the goddamn sculpture? Come the gently caress on) and the fact that the photo used is a goddamn beached whale carcass.

682 being afraid of the sculpture is a nod to the fact that it was the first SCP ever written.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Techno Remix posted:

I want one.

I always imagined that somewhere out there was a cat rear end just walking around and pooping forever

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I think that the best SCP files are the ones that are vaguely self-destructive, or at least force the Foundation into the position of "caretaker" rather than "emergency militarised containment unit." Half of the fun is making the Foundation worry about the fate of the object itself.

Like with this one, http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1959 - It's an astronaut. He's been there for decades, stuck in orbit, unable to stop, constantly moving, completely indestructible and propelled by an inexorable and unavoidable force. It's clear that he wants to come down, or at least die. I also like it because it's short enough to give all of the information while also giving enough detail that there's clearly more story here than meets the eye.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Boob Dylan posted:

348 is both sweet and a bit cheesy
That one's a bit sad. Here's this entirely benign, wonderful thing that some organisation keeps locked away and uses only for tests, for which you have to jump through bureaucratic hoops as well, probably forever.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Somfin posted:

I think that the best SCP files are the ones that are vaguely self-destructive, or at least force the Foundation into the position of "caretaker" rather than "emergency militarised containment unit." Half of the fun is making the Foundation worry about the fate of the object itself.

Like with this one, http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1959 - It's an astronaut. He's been there for decades, stuck in orbit, unable to stop, constantly moving, completely indestructible and propelled by an inexorable and unavoidable force. It's clear that he wants to come down, or at least die. I also like it because it's short enough to give all of the information while also giving enough detail that there's clearly more story here than meets the eye.

In the same vein, a group of Vietnam soldiers are trapped inside the Earth's mantle and have to shout in unison to contact the foundation.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1594

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

In the same vein, a group of Vietnam soldiers are trapped inside the Earth's mantle and have to shout in unison to contact the foundation.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1594

NOT EATEN. USED AS LUBE.

WORMFUCK.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Techno Remix posted:

I want one.

The established :3:-est SCP is SCP-131, the Eye Pods.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Boxman posted:

The established :3:-est SCP is SCP-131, the Eye Pods.

There's a much more upvoted :gonk: version of a cute object SCP, the Builder Bear. Several people go out of their way to mention that they downvoted the Eye Pods because they think Builder Bear is better. In fact, Builder Bear is one of the most upvoted SCPs I've seen.

Because apparently having a teddy bear SCP forcing a pregnant Foundation doctor's abortion, making a meat teddy bear out of the fetus, and having it [DATA EXPUNGED] another female researcher (the act is mentioned to be causing massive internal damage) is good writing. :shepicide:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Beatniks manage to turn a VW van into a functioning spaceship, but starve to death due to grossly underestimating the distance to Alpha Centauri:
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1958

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

Beatniks manage to turn a VW van into a functioning spaceship, but starve to death due to grossly underestimating the distance to Alpha Centauri:
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1958

The real problem came from not using tether for their EVA.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

my dad posted:

There's a much more upvoted :gonk: version of a cute object SCP, the Builder Bear. Several people go out of their way to mention that they downvoted the Eye Pods because they think Builder Bear is better. In fact, Builder Bear is one of the most upvoted SCPs I've seen.

Because apparently having a teddy bear SCP forcing a pregnant Foundation doctor's abortion, making a meat teddy bear out of the fetus, and having it [DATA EXPUNGED] another female researcher (the act is mentioned to be causing massive internal damage) is good writing. :shepicide:

The reason I liked Builder Bear so much was because it showed what a bad idea it is to put an SCP object on "free roam" status because it seems cute or friendly. Your position that it's bad writing for SCP objects to do bad things seems wrongheaded in an unbridgeable way.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Your position that it's bad writing for SCP objects to do bad things seems wrongheaded in an unbridgeable way.

I agree, which is why my favorite SCP is the the anemone made of poo poo and semen that rapes you with poop

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I agree, which is why my favorite SCP is the the anemone made of poo poo and semen that rapes you with poop

No no no, SCP objects doing bad things doesn't make them well-written. But if it's there for a reason, a good reason, then it doesn't make the article worse.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't think that applies to Builder Bear either. Someone who is probably 14 crams every grimdarkedgy cliche they can think of in one place, applies some wacky randomness (ears! lol!) and gives it a number, nothing about that has a good reason.

e:

LaughMyselfTo posted:

The reason I liked Builder Bear so much was because it showed what a bad idea it is to put an SCP object on "free roam" status because it seems cute or friendly.
That's a great idea for an entry but it requires especially good writing and a fresh idea, because "cute thing commits terrible atrocities" is an awfully played out cliche in itself and a teddy bear is very high on the list of commonly used cute things.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Oct 4, 2014

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Canemacar posted:

Here's a good one. Tupac Shakur as a crime-fighting ghost/angel who clowns the whole organisation.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2137

It was the dopest poo poo he ever wrote. In '94.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I've always liked this old one, "Tibetan Rope to Heaven".

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Canemacar posted:

Here's a good one. Tupac Shakur as a crime-fighting ghost/angel who clowns the whole organisation.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2137

This is my new favorite SCP.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Another one I really like. Just a really gnarly lizard.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What a total lizard-bro. I would lean so many sick nasty shredding moves from him and then feed him a dozen crickets.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My favourite Foundation story is the second Cold Harper story, a transcript of a meeting between Nixon, the head of the Global Occult Coalition, and several high-ranking military officers. The prequel and sequel are worth reading, but not as memorable as the June 2, 1972 transcript. It's about Nixon explaining to everyone in charge of nuclear weapons that if a certain code word gets activated, they need to launch everything they've got at one island in the Arctic.

Chamale has a new favorite as of 06:22 on Oct 5, 2014

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

My favourite Foundation story is the second Cold Harper story, a transcript of a meeting between Nixon, the head of the Global Occult Coalition, and several high-ranking military officers. The prequel and sequel are worth reading, but not as memorable as the June 2, 1972 transcript. It's about Nixon explaining to everyone in charge of nuclear weapons that if a certain code word gets activated, they need to launch everything they've got at one island in the Arctic.

Reminds me a little of A Colder War.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
That's not an SCP but it's very much in a similar vein. I'd recommend it and also going in blind.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Frostwerks posted:

That's not an SCP but it's very much in a similar vein. I'd recommend it and also going in blind.

Just finished it- it's clean, tense, and has a drat satisfying ending.

I suppose if there's one thing I'm grateful to the SCP stuff for, even the badly-written stuff, (partial spoiler:) it's that they come up with their own polysyllabic tongue jams. (real spoiler:) You know, rather than defaulting to Lovecraft's words.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Frostwerks posted:

Reminds me a little of A Colder War.
That was staggeringly good.

Holy poo poo.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Sentient telepathic Australian spider:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1470

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I really like the phrase "weakly godlike agencies" from A Colder War.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Somfin posted:

Just finished it- it's clean, tense, and has a drat satisfying ending.

I suppose if there's one thing I'm grateful to the SCP stuff for, even the badly-written stuff, (partial spoiler:) it's that they come up with their own polysyllabic tongue jams. (real spoiler:) You know, rather than defaulting to Lovecraft's words.

I was reading the discussion page on the SCP trilogy and someone actually brought it up lol. There's something about the polar regions that make for awesome "impossible" poo poo. I guess it's the remoteness and hostile, alien environment. This is also why The Thing owns.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Daraken posted:

SCP-1295 - Meg's Diner is also a pretty good one.

It's the Four Horsemen.

It's also ripped pretty much 1:1 from Terry Pratchett.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Frostwerks posted:

I was reading the discussion page on the SCP trilogy and someone actually brought it up lol. There's something about the polar regions that make for awesome "impossible" poo poo. I guess it's the remoteness and hostile, alien environment. This is also why The Thing owns.

Plus, it forces us to confront just how weak we really are as humans. We freeze, we dehydrate, and we die out there, faster than we like to admit. It's harrowing, and it's local. We can't even go most places on our own loving planet. How the hell does humanity as a species have the balls consider itself special or superior?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Frostwerks posted:

The Thing has no bitches. That is why it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

DicktheCat posted:

The Thing has no bitches. That is why it's good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtgFKdWcKXY

:confused: