Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Frostwerks posted:

Reminds me a little of A Colder War.

This is great. I love the little references to At the Mountains of Madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Everything I've read by Charles Stross has been pretty decent. Check out his Eschaton duology.

973: Smokey
Blue Brotherhood

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I started working on my first SCP and posted it to their forums, but it's getting totally ignored. :ohdear:

Am I a huge idiot who sucks at writing or what.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Am I a huge idiot

Yeah.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

I started working on my first SCP and posted it to their forums, but it's getting totally ignored. :ohdear:

I'm not really surprised it's getting ignored. It's well written, none of the test subjects were rapists or pedos (they love reading about that), and the old lady isn't a hyper-realistic skeleton fueled by dead babies.

The only thing that took me out of it was the medical personnel concluding that the injuries were consistent with getting beaten by a umbrella. At best they could conclude that he was beaten with a blunt instrument, and confirm that the edges were rounded like a length of pipe. You could have one of the medics suggest an umbrella as a half-joke, or something, but I'm deliberately being nit-picky here.

If you're looking for kudos from those guys though, I wouldn't bother. They're pretty insular.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

This is good. :coolfish:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
So what if I wrote a skeleton made out of skeletons who wants to eat your skeleton.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

So what if I wrote a skeleton made out of skeletons who wants to eat rape [DATA EXPUNGED] your skeleton.

Sounds good.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

So what if I wrote a skeleton made out of skeletons who wants to eat your skeleton.

That sounds pretty Nito.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So what if I wrote a skeleton made out of [REDACTED] who wants to [DATA EXPUNGED] your skeleton

Better.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Considering the Scottishness of the piece, how about a reference to Super Gran?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

But if you take the explicit rape out it just doesn't feel like an SCP anymore. :(

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
OK so Skeleton granny wants to rape you in your [EXPUNGED] with her [REDACTED] [REDACTED]?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The test with O5 class doesn't fit. Those guys aren't that stupid. Make it an incident, or accident, or the result of an assassination attempt by an angry researcher or something.

Don't grimdarkify it, though.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1972 is interesting.

edit: Oh, and for those worried about grimdark, consider the Grim Bucket.

Parahexavoctal has a new favorite as of 17:41 on Oct 7, 2014

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
The imaginary library: infinitely long tunnel containing an infinite number of strange books.
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1986

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

OK so Skeleton granny wants to rape you in your [EXPUNGED] with her [REDACTED] [REDACTED]?

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-100-j

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-789-j

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I really liked it. :shobon: admittedly the knowledge of how an umbrella was used seems unlikely, though it does make some sense in context? She's an elderly grandma lady. She wouldn't be able to lift very heavy things like unwieldy sledgehammers. Maybe a firepoker would make similar sense if you must change it? I thi k it's great as is.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Wedemeyer posted:

I really liked it. :shobon: admittedly the knowledge of how an umbrella was used seems unlikely, though it does make some sense in context? She's an elderly grandma lady. She wouldn't be able to lift very heavy things like unwieldy sledgehammers. Maybe a firepoker would make similar sense if you must change it? I thi k it's great as is.

Yeah my issue wasn't so much with the umbrella as the weapon as it was the medics looking at the wounds and saying "Yes, this was certainly caused by an umbrella."

I agree that the O5 bit doesn't make sense either. They don't really test with them. Maybe the tea set ended up on base in a mundane fashion after killing the husband, and its reaction to the O5 is what started the investigation?

I haven't seen them posted, but have the sentient Legos been posted yet?

RickVoid has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Oct 7, 2014

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think you issue is not joining the IRC and asking for feedback in chat. Virtually no one looks at the Writer's Help forum with any regularity. It'll take a few days to get any substantial amount of replies there.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Kopijeger posted:

The imaginary library: infinitely long tunnel containing an infinite number of strange books.
This one is one of my all-time favorites, solely for

quote:

Title: The Young Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Grooming
Author: S. Compton, Mme.
Language: French, recent circa 1750 CE
Depth of Recovery: 1,298m
Description: The book is handwritten and describes in extensive detail the way a lady should properly behave in high society. Included are illustrations of the correct placement of the tail for various social settings, how a lady may best scale a tree and preserve her modesty, and the best way to fend off unwanted advances while in estrus.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

Frostwerks posted:

Reminds me a little of A Colder War.

Thanks for that link! What I really like about the story is that most if not all the American equipment for countering the Russians was actually considered and developed in earnest more or less like it appears in the story. Some of it went surprisingly far. For example the nuclear ram-jet engine was actually built and run (on the ground) and that not once but twice! Both runs were successful I might add. It proved to be a liiittle too mad and, more importantly, it lost to the age of ballistic intercontinental rockets.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

I'm gonna second (eighth? whatever) what everyone else has said. Change it to blunt object approx X cm in diameter, make umbrella handle or fireplace poker lighthearted speculation. I love the idea that all hell would break loose if an O5 were to touch it but I get the impression that anyone with O5 clearance hasn't been anywhere near an SCP test (or even a facility) in years. Still a funny idea, though.
Could be improved tenfold with the addition of a rapist skeleton, though. Or like, a really cool guy with a big sword and one angel wing with whom the granny smokes a joint.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

My favourite detail is that the librarian involved had his amnestic administered voluntarily. I can relate. All those books and you know you would never in a million lifetimes be able to properly catalogue them, both because of volume and because our systems aren't up to the task, nor would retrieval be remotely feasible if you did.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
IIRC, no O-level personnel are allowed near SCPs for security reasons.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Is there a high-ish rank below O5 which is more hands-on? I'm kinda attached to that bit: the whole point of the article was that the Foundation is often a lot worse than the things that claim to secure.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Is there a high-ish rank below O5 which is more hands-on? I'm kinda attached to that bit: the whole point of the article was that the Foundation is often a lot worse than the things that claim to secure.

You could always just make up a scientist or something. Dr Holy-gently caress-The-Teapot-Just-Exploded.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Although speaking of O5 rulings and their interaction with different SCPs, there's always the fun of http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1173 (Eastern Samothrace).

If you don't get it, click the the crossed-out 'article to be deleted'.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Today I discovered http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2170 , "Clown Vaccine".

Help me.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Eh. It's probably because I'm a more casual peruser of the site, but I'm not that big a fan of the ones that muck with the format in order to show spooky effects.

edit: I did actually stay at the clown motel once, though. It was kinda weird.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 08:56 on Oct 8, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Old Scottish lady has been updated so and O5 no longer appears in the testing section, and the beating is a little more scientific.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Illegal Username posted:

That was staggeringly good.

Holy poo poo.
He did a series of books called The Atrocity Archives which is a typical British government agency dealing with stuff like that and it's also really good.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Some SCPs with an Ancient Rome theme:

Divine Etruscan call center:

quote:

Welcome to HarusCo! Your sacrifice is very important to us! For Tinia the Thunderer, please perform a horizontal incision on the offering. For Aita of the Underworld, please perform a vertical incision. For Maris, lightly cover your offering with the ash of a dead warrior related to you by blood.

Legionaire's mind trapped within his helmet

Emperor Septimius Severus was not quite as history remembers him:

quote:

In the fourth year of his reign, Septimius Leo met with a man named Victor, leader of the Christians of Rome. Victor had proclaimed Septimius Leo to be an unholy beast whose earthly reign was a sign that the end of the world, and the coming of the god of the Christians, was soon at hand.

Roman legion reappears randomly in different locations

Nightclub where patrons act out scripts dating to Roman times (already posted, but worth repeating)

quote:

Aftermath: No surviving participants will remember Script 82, remembering only a pleasant night at the club, even if operation Pariah failed, with the exception of 82-prime. Those who participated as 82-prime will have recurring nightmares featuring [DATA EXPUNGED], typically leading to loss of sleep, decreased productivity, and eventual insanity.

Kopijeger has a new favorite as of 16:11 on Oct 8, 2014

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Old Scottish lady has been updated so and O5 no longer appears in the testing section, and the beating is a little more scientific.

I think there's a place for a charming Scottish granny in a teacup, but as it stands right now, the article is just a morality play and that isn't very interesting. That genre of SCP might actually be officially discouraged, but just speaking casually, almost anybody is already familiar with the concept and you may as well put an entry up about the Sorting Hat. An SCP ought to be a little more mysterious or inexplicable than that.

I like the angle of the object being capable of knowing intimate secrets better than it blowing up sex offenders. The dialogue is perfectly fine, it's just seems too easy that the basic effect is that "bad person=bad effect". The twist that the high-ranking foundation member is a really bad person isn't very exciting either, since that's implicit through most articles on the site. I say keep it in, but it shouldn't the climax of the article like it is now.

Slim Jim Pickens has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Oct 8, 2014

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I'm not actually sure why the old lady is in the scp at all and her background laid out without much payoff to it. Seems like it'd be better if she was written out and instead her presence was simply implied by the effect a bit more subtly or from background research on the object itself. It's kind of like show not tell.

yook has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Oct 8, 2014

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I like this one. It's nifty without being "Ohno, killing you guy!" I guess I like the generally innocuous but really odd ones best.

If I had to venture a guess it's measuring the perceived value of things, though who even knows what the units of measurement are?

Edit: And all the data there really welcomes the reader to try and figure it out.

Quiet Feet has a new favorite as of 06:13 on Oct 9, 2014

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Probably the most tasteful one I've read regarding the spoilers/redacted crap. That's how you do it.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

A couple of years back I was chatting with some people on an unrelated IRC about what I thought would be a neat idea for an SCP, and this is what we hammered out. I provided the original idea for the one way sign, and I guess other people ran with that and made more stuff, which I'm actually pleasantly surprised by now that I've returned after three years to read the article again.

Neurion has a new favorite as of 07:28 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

This one's interesting, but what are the [DATA EXPUNGED] parts implying? I get the date mentioned is an earthquake, but is "reports indicate that Script 82 has become increasingly common since [DATA EXPUNGED]" supposed to be referencing anything? I feel like I'm missing something.