Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Can't remember the name or number, but the one that is a door that opens up into a labyrinth, complete with some sort of roaming monster is a good one.

It's not scary until you realize that in order for other people to have entered it while the Foundation has been in control of it, there must be multiple entrances to the maze. Remember that the next time you open a door you've never gone through before.

Dunno if it was posted yet, but the stone circle and mirror one has some of the best exploration logs on the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Just remembered a good one. Don't remember the number (I'm terrible at this), but the SCP makes everyone forget about the person who interacted with it and then makes them invisible. The logs are from a guy who hasn't figured out a way to come back but he's "haunting" the Foundation in order to prevent some who used the device from going on an invisible murder spree.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I started working on my first SCP and posted it to their forums, but it's getting totally ignored. :ohdear:

Am I a huge idiot who sucks at writing or what.

I'm not really surprised it's getting ignored. It's well written, none of the test subjects were rapists or pedos (they love reading about that), and the old lady isn't a hyper-realistic skeleton fueled by dead babies.

The only thing that took me out of it was the medical personnel concluding that the injuries were consistent with getting beaten by a umbrella. At best they could conclude that he was beaten with a blunt instrument, and confirm that the edges were rounded like a length of pipe. You could have one of the medics suggest an umbrella as a half-joke, or something, but I'm deliberately being nit-picky here.

If you're looking for kudos from those guys though, I wouldn't bother. They're pretty insular.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Wedemeyer posted:

I really liked it. :shobon: admittedly the knowledge of how an umbrella was used seems unlikely, though it does make some sense in context? She's an elderly grandma lady. She wouldn't be able to lift very heavy things like unwieldy sledgehammers. Maybe a firepoker would make similar sense if you must change it? I thi k it's great as is.

Yeah my issue wasn't so much with the umbrella as the weapon as it was the medics looking at the wounds and saying "Yes, this was certainly caused by an umbrella."

I agree that the O5 bit doesn't make sense either. They don't really test with them. Maybe the tea set ended up on base in a mundane fashion after killing the husband, and its reaction to the O5 is what started the investigation?

I haven't seen them posted, but have the sentient Legos been posted yet?

RickVoid has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Oct 7, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Is there a high-ish rank below O5 which is more hands-on? I'm kinda attached to that bit: the whole point of the article was that the Foundation is often a lot worse than the things that claim to secure.

You could always just make up a scientist or something. Dr Holy-gently caress-The-Teapot-Just-Exploded.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Wedemeyer posted:

I thought it was kind cool until it was revealed to be about montauk or something related to it. Like great, they're making even grimmer, darker monsters to rape.

"But it's eeeeevvvvviiilll, surely that makes it okay!!!!" *furiously masturbating*

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's a few other around there that also have normalish names. Frankly half the problem was there was a "Dr. Kain Pathos Crow" etc showing up in official reports even when the character wasn't godmoding a story.

Jesus I'd forgotten how loving painful that name was.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Acne Rain posted:

good idea for an scp entry right there

Space Station SCP 13

EDIT: gently caress, that could be its own entry all by itself.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

I was reading one about how an agent found this dog who could write, and they kept it around the base because everyone liked it. Then the document cuts off because DOCTOR KAIN PATHOS CROW KILLED THE DOG [REDACTED] [REDACTED] END OF FILE

good job writer guy, good job

I want to believe that ending is informed Satire on behalf of the author, implying that many potentially good SCP's are ruined by constant Mary Sue bullshit like DOCTOR KAIN PATHOS CROW and other meddling by similar authors.

I want to believe.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

And like others have mentioned here and in the comments, there were so many other parameters of this thing yet to test that "well, let's drug her and throw her into the door to test if this tracking device works, when GPS and radio has already been shown to fail" is just idiotic. Like, does the door ever disappear for her, will it just permanently be that door or will other doors start revealing the room/other rooms in the game, does it eventually try to compel her in or trick her like a Ticket to Ride, can she just place her arm in and toss the drat tracking device, etc. Instead, nope, into the rape room with you, oh darn that tracking device didn't work either, guess that half assed experiment "failed".

Like "What happens if we place her in a circular room, with a dozen evenly spaced doors that all lead to the same hallway, with no roof, allowing her to climb a ladder out of the room rather than taking a door if all the doors prove to lead to the Lair of the Pedobear?"

But it's Bright, so it has to be the dumbest, most hamfisted poo poo.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Pidmon posted:

Any tips for writing a SCP? I was told one description of three peoples of interest in one case wasn't cold enough.

Alright, I'll bite. I've never written one of these, but if I was going to here's how I would go about it. Let's write an SCP.

The first thing we need is a concept. In this case, I've already got one in mind. We're going to work with nightmares, specifically living nightmares caused by a hostile entity. Let's see how the Foundation tries to contain the Bogeyman.

Most articles start with the containment procedures, but before we can think of a way to contain this thing, we need to decide what it does. So we need to brainstorm some things they we know are associated with the classical Bogeyman:

quote:

Bogeyman

- Lives under your bed, in your closet.
- Comes out at night, to get you in your sleep.
- Hunts you through your dreams, always trying to "get" you.
- Bogeyman induced nightmares take place in parallel dreamscape that the victim is physically transported to, where they are stalked.
- Feeds on terror.
- Moves from place to place by moving through the dreams and nightmares of nearby sleeping people.
- Natural instinct of a potential target is to turn/keep the light on; illusion of safety, or does it fear the light?

Not bad, that give me some ideas going forward. Next step is to decide how the Foundation encountered the thing. Easy enough, researcher turns up missing from his bed, reappears some hours later complaining of nightmares. Foundation investigates, catches the thing in the act. They manage to trap it in a room with the researcher, where the light is always on, forcing it to hide under the bed. The researcher is not allowed to leave the room, though he is to be granted reasonable requests and has regular meetings with a therapist (conducted via teleconferencing). He acts as food for it while they study it through the researchers dreams. To prevent it from escaping through anyone else's dreams, no one assigned to this particular site is allowed to sleep, the site is kept under a constant rotation.

Now to assign it a class. Euclid should work here, it's pretty well contained, but only for now, and there's always the risk that someone else could go to sleep on site and give it an opportunity to escape.

The only thing left to do would be to flesh it out, with test logs, dream recordings, etc, which I'm not going to bother with. I'm fairly happy with this, and it should give you a general idea of a process to follow.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

This one is pretty good, but I'm breaking up at the dude in the comments (bottom of page 2) whi assumes that a redaction means that these neo-humans require "sexual intercourse/insemination before conception." HOLY HELL THEY'RE MONSTERS

My favorite comment was "I just don't like this". Very helpful guy.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

I have to contact the Foundation - I have that figurine on a shelf in my room!

That's odd, there's one in my kids room. I swear there wasn't one there before.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Freudian posted:

A Sinister Device - my latest assault on taste and decency. I hope you hold it dearly in your heart

Too beautiful for words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

This kills the dog.