Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

CrashCat posted:

They'll try and use the name to bolster some other thing we're already forgetting about like Project Spark, nobody will like it and it will die on the vine. Microsoft is stupid and doesn't realize it's already out for every platform anyone cares about, and the actual popular game is less than 10% Mojang's code anyway thanks to the huge popularity of mods. There are enough kids out there that only know the name brand so they'll get a few peeks at whatever they crank out, but unless it's top shelf stuff nobody will give a poo poo.

Like the first thing I'd go into looking at the mojang minecraft purchase is.

What can we get out of this?

Everyone who wants the game pretty much already owns it. So they can't cash in on sales. Even if they did I don't think that alone would be anywhere near enough to make up losses from purchase.

So my only though is they plan on taking advantage of the fact everyone likes the mods by destroying the mods and making their own version basically taking the existing mods out there and making you buy an expansion to use them.

Seeing as far as I am aware there is literally no mod creator protection for the game and they don't own anything.

Other than that I can't see any way they make money off this besides shoving advertising up your face and bundling bing help bar and IE explorer with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

Once you've sunk a whole bunch of money into a piece of poo poo like this you tend to become delusional and/or evangelical, because the alternative is admitting you made a huge mistake. Then some other dumb shits fall for your evangelism and the cycle continues.

If all else fails they could lawyer up...

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Well the they are going to have to exploit the people already playing the game. They can charge for expansions, add a premium mode, monthly payments, yadda yadda yadda shady poo poo.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Mention doobie ITT from now on and you're probated, easy as that

RIP... guess we got the climax

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Madcosby posted:

i come to these threads hoping itll be an incarnate of the original doobs/sc thread and leave disappointed

good thing we still have "jew facts" and "lol women gently caress em" threads to post in

Hey I'm working hard on making the Jew thread awesome. Don't diss please.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Spanish Manlove posted:

I missed this and posted about he who shall not be named in another thread, please take mercy on me good dumbledore

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Over There posted:

Well the they are going to have to exploit the people already playing the game. They can charge for expansions, add a premium mode, monthly payments, yadda yadda yadda shady poo poo.

I'd wager the deal will fall through because it would require notch to get off his fat lazy rear end and stop playing video games to sign some papers.

He'll probably just forget.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Spanish Manlove posted:

what if we're really sly about it?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

emanresu tnuocca posted:

don't be a pedantic bitch

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

REDACTED always works and should be enough for the reform lawyers.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Don't obey orders - basically it's easy.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

don't be a pedantic bitch

I wont make you job harder. I now know this was a order from on high and you have to do it. Telling us would add fuel to the fire and I understand not wanting to do that as well. god bless.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Spanish Manlove is a scapegoat.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

if REDACTED does something really stupid or funny in the future, can we post about it then

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Minrad posted:

if REDACTED does something really stupid or funny in the future, can we post about it then

it's tempting to probate you for even asking after I said to shut up about it

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!
Obey teh mensaman

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

This is the only REDACTED we should talk about in here.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

CrashCat posted:

would, but this look really doesn't work for her.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Is DRAKE a star ctiizen in game organization that sells ships which players pay real money to CIG for?

I can't keep this poo poo straight anymore.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

emanresu tnuocca posted:

would, but this look really doesn't work for her.
I think they gave them away to people who spent a lot of money, so I think the look of "gave me a lot of money" works pretty well tbh

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Al Borland posted:

Is DRAKE a star ctiizen in game organization that sells ships which players pay real money to CIG for?

That's what google comes up with anyway

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Drake_Interplanetary

I like that two of them don't even have pages yet.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

I think thats the best SC model I've seen yet.

CrashCat posted:

That's what google comes up with anyway

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Drake_Interplanetary

I like that two of them don't even have pages yet.

:negative:

I can't believe that they're selling hoodies for an in game organization that sells a certain type of ship. Jesus christ, we don't even know if they make good ships or are. You know what? gently caress it just gently caress it.

E:
Nice new av CC.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
goons have spent at least $318,020 on this game lmao

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

goons have spent at least $318,020 on this game lmao

There is no way this is actually true though

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Al Borland posted:

I think thats the best SC model I've seen yet.

would look better if all you ever saw was a giant [] :getin:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

plain blue jacket posted:

the spreadsheet is in the OP

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

A Spider Covets posted:

the spreadsheet is in the OP
Yeah, that's my favorite part, not only did they commit huge amounts of money but they were proud enough to write it down on a drat spreadsheet.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

plain blue jacket posted:

just tally the amount each goon-backer has contributed from the spreadsheet

NotVeryAmused
Mar 25, 2007

CrashCat posted:

Not enough jaw line. Sorry.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Al Borland posted:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Would

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
drake the type of nigga that pay $10k on space video game

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
mods please rename thread to Star Citizen, DayZ and the transverse: don't post about REDACTED

it's a star citizen joke really

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Is this another thing where I can pay for alpha and beta of a free to play game?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
In other news, demonstrating just how much of a scam every single early access game is, particularly ones that go on steam about a month after principle production has began

the dayz player population has halved itself over the 9 month since the release, and the numbers are probably skewed in that there are about 15k players who play the game regularly and the rest of the bunch just played it once or twice and saw it was broken, after all more than two million people bought this poo poo.
http://www.steamcharts.com/app/221100#1y

so, at this rate by the time DayZ is complete, or playable, there would be about 5,000 people who still care so basically Bohemia could at some point in the future simply gradually divert funds and resources from the game and cash some mad bank. I know valve are making money off of this poo poo as well but in the long term i'm gonna bet they're gonna start having some basic acceptance standards for the early access program, too many failed projects really won't reflect too well on their reputation as vendors.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

No More Heroes posted:

Is this another thing where I can pay for alpha and beta of a free to play game?
I dunno why goons get so upset about early access stuff. Particularly for smaller indie stuff it's pretty great to be posting on a forum with 50 people 3 of which are the devs and to make actual suggestions and comments that get implemented into the game.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

I dunno why goons get so upset about early access stuff. Particularly for smaller indie stuff it's pretty great to be posting on a forum with 50 people 3 of which are the devs and to make actual suggestions and comments that get implemented into the game.

i think it's cause a lot of early access is basically the player paying to beta test the game for the devs. but also because while a few early access games do get completed, a lot of them don't - the developer gets the money and then just kinda abandons the project

it's an easy system to abuse, basically

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

ArbitraryC posted:

Actually i'm pretty ok with indie early access, or kickstarter projects for indie games such as FTL, but pretty much whenever an established developer (UBER, Bohemia, christ robots if you can call him that) it becomes apparent that they're using Early Access/Kickstarter just so that they could avoid having obligations towards their financiers which is pretty drat shady.

It's pretty telling that every big name crowdfunding game has turned out to be a complete flop while the smaller ones deliver on what they originally promised, usually, well there have been plenty of indie flops but those guys don't try to raise millions of dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Actually i'm pretty ok with indie early access, or kickstarter projects for indie games such as FTL, but pretty much whenever an established developer (UBER, Bohemia, christ robots if you can call him that) it becomes apparent that they're using Early Access/Kickstarter just so that they could avoid having obligations towards their financiers which is pretty drat shady.

It's pretty telling that every big name crowdfunding game has turned out to be a complete flop while the smaller ones deliver on what they originally promised, usually, well there have been plenty of indie flops but those guys don't try to raise millions of dollars.
Yeah I guess that makes more sense. I've never done crowdfunding or early access for a big name but I was thinking of games like runers where there's hardly anyone on the steam forums and you actually have devs respond directly to your complaints and suggestions. Looking through my steam library stuff like FTL, Runers, Dungeons of Dreadmor, Binding of Isaac, it was all stuff where the devs were super active with the community around the release but the games admittedly did have a lot of bugs to work through the first week, so I kind of like the idea of "hey here's a game that's almost done, what should we change".

• Locked thread