Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

When goons first started talking about Transverse I for reals thought it was a parody thing. It sounds like a joke.
But then again so does Star Citizen so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

When goons first started talking about Transverse I for reals thought it was a parody thing. It sounds like a joke.
But then again so does Star Citizen so...

its so dumbfounding that it makes star citzien look legit.

I mean who the gently caress has a PR that lashes out so violently at multiple communities?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
blind faith + capitalism is a scary combination

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

In this one they suggest that their failure on reddit was actually a devious goon plot!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Why are people still on that forum?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Actually i'm pretty ok with indie early access, or kickstarter projects for indie games such as FTL, but pretty much whenever an established developer (UBER, Bohemia, christ robots if you can call him that) it becomes apparent that they're using Early Access/Kickstarter just so that they could avoid having obligations towards their financiers which is pretty drat shady.

It's pretty telling that every big name crowdfunding game has turned out to be a complete flop while the smaller ones deliver on what they originally promised, usually, well there have been plenty of indie flops but those guys don't try to raise millions of dollars.

Wasteland 2? Carmageddon? Those games Double Fine has been doing? Shadowrun?

Hmmmmmm seems like not "every big name crowd funded game has turned out to be a complete flop" :shrug:

SA gaming threads have terrible groupthink in general but the agenda ppl go into threads with(always gotta be cherry-picking anecdotes to support some obsessive and pointless thesis) is laughable and childeish

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Over There posted:

Why are people still on that forum?

Because they get banned if they post on any other forum

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

ashgromnies posted:

Hmmmmmm seems like not "every big name crowd funded game has turned out to be a complete flop" :shrug:

SA gaming threads have terrible groupthink in general but the agenda ppl go into threads with(always gotta be cherry-picking anecdotes to support some obsessive and pointless thesis) is laughable and childeish

Shadowrun was a pretty big flop imo. Very disappointing.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Kickstarter money...piled high

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

ashgromnies posted:

Much like your posting

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Yivgev posted:

Shadowrun was a pretty big flop imo. Very disappointing.

idk dragonfall was pretty fun

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Bro Dad posted:

idk dragonfall was pretty fun

i didnt even have the willpower to try the expansion, the original was so threadbare and boring. it was fundamentally unsatisfying in the same way smoking an ultra-light cigarette is.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Wasteland 2 is what, 8 month off schedule? Dragonfall cost extra and the original shadowrun campaign was a pretty lackluster 90s esque rpg, yeah the dialogue didn't suck, great success. Planetary Annihilation is outdone by Total Annihilation and you can't save a game.

In the meanwhile C-rob is banking 54 million dollars and bohemia sold 2.5 million copies of a broken rear end game that won't be remotely playable for another year, crowdfunding major titles sure is a great idea.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Maybe I'm stupid but I think Planetary Annihilation is pretty darn cool.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I liked shadowrun

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

InterFaced posted:

Maybe I'm stupid but I think Planetary Annihilation is pretty darn cool.

this is true. i early accessed this and was not disappointed.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The planetary annihilation thread has recently had the discussion. A lot of people went back to supreme commander.

PA can be summed up as "A TA game where they forgot why TA was fun."

Then again there was some tournament for 50 bucks where you get hosed over by space geometry because the money planet you start on collides with a lava planet by design.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

TA is like 25 years old goons are loving stupid

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Boodie's God Haus

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Boodie's God Haus

mods!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
new title: not too bad

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Yeah but Planetary Annihilation is loving boring as poo poo

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Good news: There's gonna be weekly updates about the progress of Transverse as it "attempts" to reach its goal lmfao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7OvLED8-hY

e: watched vid til he described ships as having nuckular power and closed it

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Minrad posted:

Good news: There's gonna be weekly updates about the progress of Transverse as it "attempts" to reach its goal lmfao

Go to 14:00

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Minrad posted:

jesus christ this is painfully awkward

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Minrad posted:

omg. Do you ever get that embarrassed for someone feeling. I have that watching this video.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Third World Reggin posted:

the money planet you start on collides with a lava planet

that sounds pretty cool

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bolow posted:

Yeah but Planetary Annihilation is loving boring as poo poo

were you one of the people who paid 90 earth dollars for it tho

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Jst0rm posted:

omg. Do you ever get that embarrassed for someone feeling. I have that watching this video.

i feel like this might actually be an episode of Always Sunny

like this is literally a plot they would come up with

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Nonsense posted:

were you one of the people who paid 90 earth dollars for it tho

I think I paid like $40 of your earth dollars for it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Nonsense posted:

It's also the last game of its kind that I ever played thanks to the players' decision that APM was a valuable gameplay mechanic. I miss being able to set up orders in advance and having them followed somewhat intelligently. But that's not what the players wanted, they wanted to cockslap their minions into not being complete fuckhead retards by wearing out their mouse buttons. I haven't enjoyed a single RTS since that became viewed as a good and necessary feature.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

CrashCat posted:

It's also the last game of its kind that I ever played thanks to the players' decision that APM was a valuable gameplay mechanic. I miss being able to set up orders in advance and having them followed somewhat intelligently. But that's not what the players wanted, they wanted to cockslap their minions into not being complete fuckhead retards by wearing out their mouse buttons. I haven't enjoyed a single RTS since that became viewed as a good and necessary feature.

i hate APM because all it does is reward constant twitch activity and not wise planning or strategic management. it's the quake-style shooter of the strategy game world

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Fandyien posted:

i hate APM because all it does is reward constant twitch activity and not wise planning or strategic management. it's the quake-style shooter of the strategy game world
And I'm actually fine with it that people enjoy that, just like never playing a loving Dota doesn't mean I want them wiped off the face of the earth. I just wish they hadn't effectively squashed the alternative. I've never heard of Planetary Annihilation but if they were going for that good on em for at least trying. Doesn't mean it's not a poo poo game of course, I have no idea.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Over There posted:

Go to 14:00

i think they made the ship movement noise just by driving around and sticking a microphone out of the window

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OwpMANdDfo

looks a lot more fun than standalone.

this does too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHbpj6-S8X4

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

CrashCat posted:

And I'm actually fine with it that people enjoy that, just like never playing a loving Dota doesn't mean I want them wiped off the face of the earth. I just wish they hadn't effectively squashed the alternative. I've never heard of Planetary Annihilation but if they were going for that good on em for at least trying. Doesn't mean it's not a poo poo game of course, I have no idea.

wargame, total war, supreme commander?

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

CrashCat posted:

yeah, starcraft pretty much ruined RTS as a genre - except for previously mentioned gems of actual strategy like Wargame or Total War.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

hemale in pain posted:

wargame, total war, supreme commander?
Never played 'em, barely even heard of 'em :saddowns:

So thanks, maybe I'll look it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

CrashCat posted:

Never played 'em, barely even heard of 'em :saddowns: So thanks, maybe I'll look it up!

they own. if you have any interest in cold war military hardware and strategy you owe it to yourself to pick up wargame: red dragon.

• Locked thread