Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

LOS ANGELES. 2029 AD.

Humanity is on the brink of extinction, hunted by the robot minions of the artificial intelligence, Skynet.

Those willing and able to fight back against the robotic Hunter Killer drones form the Resistance: a para-military group made up of former military personal and civilians alike.

Aside from combating the Hunter Killers, the Resistance protect small enclaves of humans unable to fight. The enclaves communicate via scrambled transmission, however, Skynet has cracked the network codes and is broadcasting fake messages from phantom enclaves in order to deceive humanity into revealing the location of the enclaves.

The Resistance leaders cannot distinguish between the fake broadcasts of the Hunter Killer terminator drones from the genuine messages of the human bunkers. The leaders have decided to take drastic action and will choose an unconfirmed broadcast to airstrike each day. They believe that the pressure of imminent destruction will reveal who is human and who is a terminator drone.

You better be convincing: you are literally arguing for your life...

MAFIA RULES

1. This game is for 17 players.

2. Players take the role of members of the human resistance leading a human enclave using a scrambled communications net. However, not all the voices on the scrambled network are human.

3. Each Day, players vote for who the Resistance Airstrike will target. As soon as a majority vote agrees on one name, that player is killed and the truth of their allegiance will be revealed.

3.1 A Majority Vote is 1 plus the current number of living players rounded up. E.g. 1 + 17 players / 2 = 9.

4. The Humans win when all threats to Humanity are eliminated. Skynet wins when the humans cannot form a majority vote.

4.1 This is when the number of Resistance players left alive equals the number of terminator drones. E.g. 2 terminator drones yields a Skynet win when there are only 2 Resistance players left.

5. After the Day Phase, there is a Night Phase of actions. The Moderator will reveal any public results and begin the next Day Phase.

6. At the beginning of each Day Phase, the Moderator may indicate that there is FUEL to be claimed from the FIELD and how much.

6.1 Any player may claim 1 unit of FUEL by using the ##forage Day Action. They may then send a PM to the Moderator to name a player to receive the FUEL (this may be themselves).

6.2 FUEL is foraged on a first come, first serve basis and each player may only use the Day Action ONCE per day.

6.3 Players with FUEL may be able to utilise it. Any player with FUEL may give it to another player as a Night action.

QUEENSBURY RULES MAFIA

This game operates slightly different from regular Mafia. By taking part in this game, you agree to the following posting restrictions;

1. Absolutely No Hate-Speech: that means no slurs of any kind, be it racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. It will not be tolerated.

2. Be Respectful: sometimes discussion can become heated (largely because that's Mafia). It is ok to disagree with someone strongly but please try to remain courteous.

3. No Direct Attacks: no direct insults of a personal nature. E.g. calling someone's parentage into question, a person's physical appearance or dimensions, calling someone pathetic or a sad little man, things of that nature.

Anything pertaining to the game of Mafia is fair game: calling someone a liar in a game of lying is acceptable, as is calling them misguided or delusional and even calling someone bad at the game is ok.

Mafia is as much about getting an emotional reaction from someone as it is misleading them and judging fact from fiction. Just try to do it without being an rear end.

Failure to adhere to these posting rules will result in a Modkill and possible banning from future Queensbury Rules Mafia games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
Player List

1. bowmore [Resistance-Aligned Human Vanilla] was terminated on Night 3.
  2. Byers2142 [Resistance-Aligned Human Gunsmith] was terminated on Night 2.
  3. CapnAndy
  4. DGK2000
  5. JakeP [Resistance-Aligned Human Vanilla] was terminated on Night 4.
  6. Juanito [Self-Aligned Human Thief] was killed by airstrike on Day 4.
  7. KhyrosFinalCut [Resistance-Aligned Human Mason Recruiter] killed by airstrike on Day 1.
  8. Magnus Gallant [Skynet-Aligned Dayvig Terminator Drone] was destroyed on Night 1.
  9. Meinberg replaced by Hal Incandenza
  10. merk replaced by Somberbrero
  11. Mikujin was modkilled on Day 3.
  12. Quidnose
  13. QuoProQuid [Resistance-Aligned Hammerer] was killed by airstrike on D2.
  14. Rarity
  15. tearshed
  16. Token Female [Skynet-Aligned Rolecop Terminator Drone] was destroyed by airstrike on D3.
  17. xopods

Replacements

Opopanax
Pander
WalrusWhiskers

kilran fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 8, 2014

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
Psssst Juanito has yet to confirm... Day One hasn't started yet

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
DAY ONE

The sun was just rising over the urban skeleton that was Los Angeles and already the comm system was alive with chatter.

Before anyone had time to really let the news from the Resistance Leaders sink in, the enclave commanders had began their quorum in earnest...

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
A short packet, high powered burst transmission is received across the network;

This is a test.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
If people with night actions can send them before deadline, I can get Day Two up and running before the weekend.

FYI normally, I prefer shorter Days after D1 (like 48 hours) but I don't usually include weekends. So expect D2 deadline to be Monday of next week.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

CapnAndy posted:

Can we get somewhat more frequent votecounts? I have no idea where anyone's standing right now.

There is a vote count image on the front page.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
I'm probably not going to be around for deadline as I'm absolutely shattered and about to go to bed.

So I'm going to extend it and give y'all a good solid 6 hours to hammer it out.

This is largely because of the time zone difference: I didn't realise how few people would be able to post at 5pm in America time ...

So will I give y'all until midnight, which is in about 6 and half hours by my reckoning.

kilran fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 18, 2014

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
And also because Votefinder has the wrong time... It thinks it is currently 930pm in the UK which it isn't. I only just noticed it's an hour out.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Rarity posted:

You set it to GMT but it's currently BST.

:/

Well ain't I smart.

For the record, the extension is given because I hosed up on the deadline time.

So if anyone wants to get mad at someone for it, get mad at me. Feel free to PM me about your rage. Please keep it out of the thread.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Magnus Gallant posted:

Kilran you're British?

I cannot answer this question without further ruining JakeP's immersion.

(Yes I am: it's why I post at weird times)

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
The hours crawled by, comms alive with the discussion of death as the Resistance Leaders silently listened.

Thoughts were thick and fast, argument was heavy, accusations rife.

Revelations were abound too: Magnus Gallant base claimed they were able to destroy another base, meanwhile Byers, KhyrosFinalCut and Tearshed bases all revealed recovering precious fuel from the field.

But the question remained: which of the bases were terminator drones?

Meinberg base was the one name everyone seemed to linger on. Who was in Meinberg base? Had anyone ever been? Has anyone even heard of Meinberg base before?

The Commander of Meinberg base spoke up and revealed they had capacity to give out fuel. Believing that this was too useful to risk, another name was pushed forward: KhyrosFinalCut base.

The votes quickly stacked up but faltered at the very last moment: could we really airstrike a base which might be full of humans? Aren't we just doing Skynet's job for it?

Having remained all but silent, suddenly Mikujin base spoke "Yes, but what choice do we have? Take them down."

And with that, the salvo was launched...

After, scouts sorted through the rubble, through the savaged, scorched earth and found nothing but human bodies...

KhyrosFinalCut base, led by Captain Holst, [Resistance-Aligned Human Recruiter] was killed by airstrike.

You have 24 hours to PM your Night Actions

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
DAY TWO

FUEL IN THE FIELD

Dawn rose on the second day and the airwaves were silent. After the destruction of KhyrosFinalCut base at the hands of the Resistance airstrike, there was a sense of finality in the air.

This was really happening.

No one had really believed the plan the Resistance leaders had concocted. Many thought it was a bluff while others thought that they would call it off at the eleventh hour. But it wasn’t a bluff and it was clear that they wouldn’t be calling it off.

The pressure was on. And perhaps that was the whole point.

In the light of day, reports began to come in about the activities during the night. There was a fire-fight over at one of the bases. It transpires that one of the human enclaves was attacked by one of the terminator drones. After a bitter battle, the terminator hunter killer was taken down.

Magnus Gallant [Skynet-Aligned Terminator Drone Dayvig] was destroyed during the night.

MEINBERG is replaced by HAL INCANDENZA

kilran fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 20, 2014

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
A short packet, high powered burst transmission is received across the network;

QuoProQuid is Not Town

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
The Resistance was stunned by the events of the previous day. Discussion began cautiously.

It didn't make sense for the terminator drone labelled Magnus Gallant to be eliminated. Until an explanation was presented.

Reports came in that merk base, DGK2000 base and Quidnose base had all recovered fuel canisters today.

The mysterious unidentified transmission yielded a clear, unambiguous message: "QuoProQuid is not town."

Many were willing to believe the message. Maybe because it gave them something to believe in or maybe to save their own lives for another day.

Other names were offered but the transmission proved compelling by it's mystery.

QuoProQuid, led by General Ashdown, [Resistance-Aligned Human Hammerer] was killed by airstrike.

You have 24 hours to PM your night actions

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
Many apologies for the delay. I didn't have time to get things sorted before the weekend and thought I might as well wait until after weekend.

DAY THREE

FUEL IN THE FIELD

Dawn rose once more and the news came in immediately: the Skynet had destroyed another human enclave.

The mysterious transmission had been proven to be incorrect too. Was it another stray Skynet tramission or was it something else? Confusion was rife and the Resistance only knew one thing for sure: Skynet's drones were tightening their cordon.

Byers2142 [Resistance-Aligned Human Gunsmith] was terminated on Night 2.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Hal Incandenza posted:

It's only because kilran won't let us use personal attacks on each other. People don't know what to do when they have to be civil.

Which is perhaps the biggest indictment of certain Mafia players. I know plenty of players who can Mafia without resorting to direct attacks.

And personally countering a case with "You're a <slur>. Stop being a <slur>." doesn't do anything except upset that person. It's not a defence.

As an outside observer, what happened here is a trend in Mafia: people sign up, they get their roles and then decide how engaged they are going to be. A bunch of players get invested and the rest lurk. Unfortunately, a couple of the more engaged players got killed and the remaining engaged players felt they were just talking to one another while the rest lurk.

It happens a lot in Mafia, I've just never seen it to this extent.

If there is one thing to take away from this experiment, two kills a day might be necessary: 1. The regular lynch and 2. A lurker mod kill (lowest post count).

Anyway, if people are not enjoying the game, we can call it. It seems silly to continue if people are bored.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Somberbrero posted:

Hello, I will replace into this game.

Thank you.

I offered a slot to another player and they have first refusal.

I will let you known ASAP.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
The third day was harder: the humans of the Resistance had grown despondent at the loss of Captain Jericho and Byers base.

Xopods base and Rarity base were able to recover Fuel but even that good news was just a drop of rain in a desert.

As the Sun started to set, two of the base commanders declared they were no longer playing this ridiculous game the Resistance Leaders had created.

In retaliation, the leaders launched an airstrike against Mikujin base taking them down. They then targeted merk base but before they launched a strike, a voice came on the airwaves revealing they had replaced the commander...

As the day drew to a close, the one name the Resistance agreed on was Token Female. Within moments, an airstrike was launched and her position nothing but scorched earth.

Token Female [Skynet-Aligned Terminator Drone Role Cop] was destroyed by Airstrike.

Mikujin aka Hideki the [Resistance-Aligned Human Vanilla] was killed by Airstrike.

merk is replaced by Sombrero

merk asked for a replacement first and Somb stepped up. Somb has obviously been reading the thread and therefore can replace in with ease.

Mikujin has asked to be replaced or mod-killed. I'm not going to ask anyone else to replace in at this stage, so I have mod-killed him.

Night Actions!

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
DAY FOUR

Dawn rose. Immediately, everyone took stock of the night's events. Word came in that Bowmore base was destroyed by terminators. To make matters worse, no leads on fuel were uncovered, meaning that the precious resource was even more scarce. Everyone hoped that this was just an aberration.

Bowmore base, led by Barnes [Resistance-Aligned Human Vanilla] was terminated.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
You lynch Juanito (flavour to come, just on a time budget now)...

Juanito AKA Mancho [Self-Aligned Human Thief]

NIGHT ACTIONS PLEASE!

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
DAY FIVE

During the night, JakeP AKA Blair Williams [Resistance-Aligned Human Vanilla] was terminated.

No fuel was found in the field.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
The fifth day came and the Resistance was surprised to find that a human had been trying to capitalise on the confusion. Even when humanity is on the brink, someone always tries to screw over their neighbour for a loving percentage...

With the human threat eliminated, the Resistance turned its attention back the real threat: Skynet.

The humans, suspicious of one another, began the infighting in earnest. Suddenly everyone was a threat. People who were once thought to be almost certainly human were now under scrutiny.

As the day approached dusk, a target ha to be chosen. Under pressure, one name was blurted out and soon everyone followed.

The co-ordinates were entered and the missiles launched...

Tearshed AKA Skynet-Aligned Terminator Observer Drone] was destroyed by Airstrike.

All imminent threats to Resistance have been eliminated. The Resistance wins this day.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
Thanks to everyone who played.

I apologise that the game wasn't better. For my part, I couldn't provide timely updates and really needed a co-mod. Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone interested to help. C'est la vie.

I will post the set up tomorrow. I don't have access to my PC right now.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Magnus Gallant posted:

Very fun game, thanks for running it Kilran.

Man that was so surprising when I died to Xopods. Didn't expect that to happen. Wish I had gotten some daykills off before I went.

Next time read your Role PM :P

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
The town had no Doctor, no straight up Cop and most of their powers were unreliable / required fuel.

There was a 3p who could effectively roleblock town players by stealing fuel. The scum had some powerful roles which generated fuel.

The core concept was a vulnerable town which, through coordination, could use Skynet's tools against it, slowly closing a net.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
I felt for sure town was in trouble when Byers mentioned DOGS most of d1 and Xopods basically told you he had bombs :P

It's why there was a Mason recruiter who had a 50/50 chance of confirming HUMAN (but not TOWN) if they had fuel.

And a Town Broadcaster / Rolecop who had a 50/50 chance of learning your role if they had fuel.

Both roles auto failed against terminators, so if the only result they could trust was a success.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

tearshed posted:

Not a fan of any mechanics/roles that feature a diceroll. Takes the power out of the players hands and turns it into luck.

Well I kinda feel you. You'll note the scum had no such die roll, which is important. But I think too much emphasis is placed on night actions anyway. Town's greatest strength is that they are telling the truth and have to separate the lies from what appear to be lies. Scum are more reliant on night actions.

Plus you'll note that the 3 critical rolls killed scum 75% of a percentile. But I get what you are saying. Maybe less randomness and more 'false positives' are in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
The Hider role was actually more of a hindrance for Town, despite being immune to the scum.

You couldn't benefit from positive actions from town either, meaning you could only receive fuel from foraging, Gunsmith's would waste actions on you and therefore giving false negatives for the two 'investigative' roles.

Essentially, you were a Miller-type role.

• Locked thread