Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Branching off from the Eastern Europe thread, I have created this thread as a place where we can continue our discussion on topics like NATO's eastward expansion, whether or not Ukraine should be allowed into NATO, whether or not getting the NATO accession ball rolling again would be particularly good for Ukraine's people, and what the U.S. and its allies can do to help stop the brutal conflict in Eastern Ukraine.

A couple points:

-Like most people in the Eastern Europe thread, I think that Putin has acted extremely underhandedly, aggressively, and illegally in wrenching Crimea away from Ukraine and invading the Donbas. He and his government are the bad guys in this situation, no question.

-The Ukrainian people are completely innocent of any wrongdoing. Viktor Yanukovych was an incredibly corrupt Russian puppet, and they had every right to overthrow him. They shouldn't have to suffer because of Putin's aggression and mendacity.

-However, I also believe that the U.S. and NATO made some blunders in the 1990's and 2000's that make this situation a lot more complicated today. For example, I think NATO's eastward expansion into former Warsaw Pact states was a mistake, because it stoked the flames of Russian nationalism, undercutting domestic support for pro-US President Boris Yeltsin and pretty much guaranteeing that Russian foreign policy would take on a more aggressively nationalist character.

-This argument is not exactly new; George Kennan, one of the most important scholars of Russia in the 20th century, had this to say in 1998, in response to the proposed expansion of NATO into the Baltic states:

quote:

''I think it is the beginning of a new cold war,'' said Mr. Kennan from his Princeton home. ''I think the Russians will gradually react quite adversely and it will affect their policies. I think it is a tragic mistake. There was no reason for this whatsoever. No one was threatening anybody else. This expansion would make the Founding Fathers of this country turn over in their graves. We have signed up to protect a whole series of countries, even though we have neither the resources nor the intention to do so in any serious way. [NATO expansion] was simply a light-hearted action by a Senate that has no real interest in foreign affairs.''

''What bothers me is how superficial and ill informed the whole Senate debate was,'' added Mr. Kennan, who was present at the creation of NATO and whose anonymous 1947 article in the journal Foreign Affairs, signed ''X,'' defined America's cold-war containment policy for 40 years. ''I was particularly bothered by the references to Russia as a country dying to attack Western Europe. Don't people understand? Our differences in the cold war were with the Soviet Communist regime. And now we are turning our backs on the very people who mounted the greatest bloodless revolution in history to remove that Soviet regime.

''And Russia's democracy is as far advanced, if not farther, as any of these countries we've just signed up to defend from Russia,'' said Mr. Kennan, who joined the State Department in 1926 and was U.S. Ambassador to Moscow in 1952. ''It shows so little understanding of Russian history and Soviet history. Of course there is going to be a bad reaction from Russia, and then [the NATO expanders] will say that we always told you that is how the Russians are -- but this is just wrong.''

There are several other papers indicating that the US and NATO's policies in Eastern Europe, particularly with regard to missile shield plans in former Warsaw Pact states, have only made Russian aggression in Ukraine more likely, including the following:

On NATO Expansion:

-"The Cold War Returneth," a Time interview with Stephen Blank of the Army War College, and Mark Schneider of the National Institute for Public Policy.
-"Former U.S. Ambassador to the Soviet Union: The U.S. and Nato Are Provoking the Ukrainian Crisis," interview with former Ambassador Jack Matlock.
-"The NATO-Russia Relationship: Defining Moment or Deja Vu?" by the Center for Strategic & International Studies (CSIS).
-John Mearsheimer has an excellent piece up in Foreign Affairs on how NATO contributed to the powder keg.
-Steve Walt also has two great blog posts on the topic. From the second one (published back in February):

quote:

To be sure, ousted president Viktor Yanukovych was corrupt and incompetent and the United States and the European Union didn't create the protests that rose up against him. But instead of encouraging the protestors to stand down and wait for unhappy Ukrainians to vote Yanukovych out of office, the European Union and the United States decided to speed up the timetable and tacitly support the anti-Yanukovych forces. When the U.S. assistant secretary of state for European and Eurasian Affairs is on the streets of Kiev handing out pastries to anti-government protestors, it's a sign that Washington is not exactly neutral. Unfortunately, enthusiastic supporters of "Western" values never stopped to ask themselves what they would do if Russia objected.
There's plenty of room for finger-pointing and blame casting here, but the taproot of the debacle in Ukraine was a failure to distinguish between power and interests. Power is a useful thing to have in international politics, but any serious student of foreign policy knows that the stronger side does not always win. If it did, the United States would have won in Vietnam, would have persuaded India, Pakistan, and North Korea not to test nuclear weapons, and would have Afghan President Hamid Karzai dancing to our tune. In the real world, however, weaker states often care more about the outcome than stronger states do and are therefore willing to run more risks and incur larger costs to get what they want.

quote:

For Russia, however, the situation vis-à-vis Ukraine is quite different. Russia is much, much weaker than the United States -- in every significant dimension of national power -- and its long-term demographic and economic prospects are not bright. That is why any prudent Russian leader would want friendly regimes on its borders and would be sensitive about any area where ethnic Russians are a significant fraction of the population. Ukraine is right next door, there are deep historical ties between the two countries, and ethnic Russians account for about 20 percent of Ukraine's population and nearly 60 percent of the population in Crimea. Add to that mix Russia's naval base in Sevastopol and you can see why Putin sees the retention of Russian influence there as a vital interest indeed.
Moreover, Russia has spent the last 20-plus years watching the United States and its European allies expand NATO eastward and deploy ballistic missile defenses there, to boot, with near-total disregard for Russian interests and complaints. Because Americans never see themselves as potential aggressors and haven't had a great power in their own hemisphere for over a century, they have trouble imagining how these acts looked from Moscow's vantage point. But any good realist could have told you that Russia would regard these developments as a long-term security challenge. Imagine how Washington would react if a powerful China were one day to cultivate close security ties with Canada or Mexico, and you'll appreciate Putin's perspective a bit more.
Not only is Ukraine much more important to Moscow, its geographic proximity made it easy for Putin to act as he did and makes it hard for us to do anything about it. News flash: Ukraine and Russia share a long border, and Crimea is thousands of miles from the United States. Russia may not be a global military power (its defense spending is about one-sixth the size of the U.S. defense budget), but it is strong enough to occupy Crimea. The United States and NATO aren't going to assemble an expeditionary force to push them out, so don't expect to see a replay of the 1991 liberation of Kuwait. The bottom line: Putin was never going to see Obama's warnings as more than just a hollow bluff.

On Missile Defense:

-"Strategic Missile Defense: A Reality Check," by Greg Thielmann.
-European Missile Defense: Strategic Imperative or Politics as Usual?, by Jack Mendelson.
-"Banning Nuclear-Armed ABMs", by Jeffrey Lewis.
-Making or Breaking U.S.-Russia Relations: The Potential for American ABM Policy to Change the World Dynamic, by Anthony J. Hartman.

On the dangers of a hypothetical new arms race with Russia:

-"Controlling Soviet/ Russian Nuclear Weapons in Time of Instability," by Nikolai Sokov.
-"Nuclear Smuggling From The Former Soviet Union: Threats And Responses," by Rensselaer Lee.

I only have two ground rules:

-Try to remain civil, and avoid impugning your fellow posters' motives. Let's all assume that everybody is posting in good faith, unless it's blatantly obvious that they aren't.
-Try to back up your argument with evidence. I feel like I shouldn't have to say this, but if somebody posts a really good piece from an expert on a topic, don't just respond with something like "Nuh uh, you're wrong and so are they!"

That's it. Play ball!

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The EU, by simply starting preliminary talks with Ukraine, helped trigger what Russia saw as a major crisis, simply because the (supposed) values of the EU looked really loving good to a lot of Ukrainians. The Russian brand simply isn't worth jack poo poo to a lot of people in Eastern Europe, and neither is what the Russians are selling, apart from gas.

And again, I can't blame them. Ukraine wanting to join the West's sphere of influence was a very logical thing for them to want. But it doesn't change the fact that to the Russians, it looks like a Western invasion creeping eastward inexorably.

quote:

Maybe it didn't manifest itself because Russia's leader was a drunken idiot, and everyone else was focusing on internal matters, such as looting the country and trying to grab as much political power as possible?

Come on, now - Yeltsin was no idiot, and he tried to play by the West's rules. And he got royally hosed over for trying to do that. Even several years into Putin's rule, relations between Ukraine and Russia were pretty calm.

Gantolandon posted:

A guarantee of neutrality is completely worthless if the guaranteed nation can be immediately steamrolled, whenever a stronger nation "feels" that someone else violated it. Aggressive states have a nasty tendency of feeling threatened whenever it's convenient to them.

It's funny you should say that, because Russia felt much the same way towards the West in the 90's. I don't think you appreciate how vulnerable they felt at the time, and how much it seemed like the West was trying to socially engineer the whole country.

But no, a guarantee of neutrality is not worthless if both states are committed to making sure that the other side does not violate it. The West has a lot more riding on Ukraine remaining neutral than it did in the 90's, and so does Russia.

quote:

Your analysis is dishonest, because you just assumed Russia feels threatened

It's not an assumption; I've posted several articles corroborating my claims. Do you think those articles are wrong? If so, why?

Majorian fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 14, 2014

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
What's disimilar to NATO's reaction during the war over South Ossetia? Regardless of what NATO does/doesn't think, I think Putin knew they were overreaching their influence over areas that close to Russia.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Majorian posted:

Not only have I read a lot about the subject, but I've posted several things on the subject as well - all saying that NATO expansion has contributed to tensions between NATO and Russia. Nobody's denying that the EU agreement also played a role. The confusion lies with you, for believing that it can only be one issue or the other.

Majorian posted:

It's not an assumption; I've posted several articles corroborating my claims. Do you think those articles are wrong? If so, why?

Thanks for making this thread. Unlike a lot of people here I agree that Russia perceives the expansion of NATO as threatening their interests, and that the perception matches reality.

You said you posted evidence that there's a strong causal relationship between NATO expansion and Russian entrenchment in the near abroad. I don't mean to sound dismissive, but could you give us some more? I went back through your posts and couldn't find the "Princeton" thing.

The ACA articles you posted I think mostly deal with Russian fear of ABMs- which is closely related to the issue, but hardly the same thing as NATO expansion.

RE: Walt and Mearsheimer- I think they treat the link between expansion and Russian reaction too much as a truism, and besides they're mostly concerned with policy proscriptions and calling out the naivete of Western observers (by the way, I don't dispute that a neutral Ukraine might be the best way out for both parties).

Mearsheimer deals with it in a cursory way in the Foreign Affairs piece: responding to the "Putin as Hitler" camp he says there's no evidence of Russian designs on Crimea prior to Maiden. Fair enough. But "greater Russia" doesn't have to mean marching to Lisbon; realistically it probably means submissive Stans, an obedient Ukraine, non-threatening Poland, permanently unsettled Georgia, etc.

I layed out a humble argument as to why I thought Russia would want these things even if NATO had not expanded to Russian borders:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662635&userid=166672#post434503227
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662635&userid=166672#post434525239
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662635&userid=166672#post434525239

Perhaps you'd respond by saying: "maybe, but perhaps if NATO had not expanded like it did, Russia would have taken less coercive measures to ensure its own security." Personally I think it's unlikely they would have behaved very different, because on the whole, even with the threat of NATO , Russia has been relatively restrained in it's behavior (I apologize to all those particularly aggrieved by it, particularly Ukrainians and Russian Muslims). Chechnya got total war and a puppet government for wanting to separate, but to be fair, the rebels were not very nice. Transinistria was not entirely conjured up by Moscow. Georgia is not blameless. Russia seized opportunities that you would expect them to. I just don't think that a Russia that took its own great power status seriously would have acted less aggressively in exerting influence over regions she had controlled for nearly a century. Whether this was due to weakness or pragmatism, it doesn't make a difference.

As an addendum, there's also the question of Russia acting as a "spoiler" to the US in places other than Europe, and what the US can do to change that, and whether the costs are worth it. I don't have thoughts on that now. Maybe later.

e:I didn't address the Kennan interview. An argument from authority- not a lot of substance, although I sympathize with the old man if he had to spend any length of time with the mustachioed one

Dilkington fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 15, 2014

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Job Truniht posted:

What's disimilar to NATO's reaction during the war over South Ossetia? Regardless of what NATO does/doesn't think, I think Putin knew they were overreaching their influence over areas that close to Russia.

I think NATO's reaction in both scenarios has been fairly similar thus far: they don't like Russia's policy of aggression, but they don't feel like they have the power or the will to go to war over the country in question, and relations with Russia are more important anyway. [url=From an article on the Georgia war:

quote:

Responses from governments in Western Europe and North America indicated that the relations with Russia are considered too important as to risk a worsening relationship over “tiny and insignificant” Georgia.

In the 2008 episode, NATO increased its naval presence in the Black Sea and provided humanitarian aid. In the current scenario, NATO has strengthened its presence in the Baltics and Poland, and created a 4000-strong Rapid Reaction Force in the event of Russian aggression in NATO member-states.

That's kind of it, though, and I think NATO is acting appropriately to keep it that way. Turning Ukraine into even more of a no-man's land benefits no one but the Russian government.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ground floor on a good thread. :munch:
Can someone refresh me on the combat readiness of the eastern european NATO states?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Lawman 0 posted:

Ground floor on a good thread. :munch:
Can someone refresh me on the combat readiness of the eastern european NATO states?

They're combat ready to be pushed to the floor and raped by Russia if thats what it comes down to. Its not so much a matter of combat readiness as it is that Russia is militarily advanced and so much bigger than them that they wouldn't stand a chance at defending themselves or even really slowing Russia down for long. Poland and Romania should be relatively easy for NATO to defend but I still can't figure out a way to defend the Baltics from a hypothetical invasion without having actual bases there to assemble troops in before it gets to that point.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dilkington posted:

Thanks for making this thread. Unlike a lot of people here I agree that Russia perceives the expansion of NATO as threatening their interests, and that the perception matches reality.

You said you posted evidence that there's a strong causal relationship between NATO expansion and Russian entrenchment in the near abroad. I don't mean to sound dismissive, but could you give us some more? I went back through your posts and couldn't find the "Princeton" thing.

Oh my goodness, I can't believe I hosed that up. I meant the Washington University piece by Anthony J. Hartman (in the OP). I have no idea how I got "Princeton" stuck in my head as the point of origin. I do think that's a good piece though.

As far as general pieces on Russia's apprehensiveness in the face of NATO expansion, Stephen Blank, formerly of the Army War College, had a great interview in Time last year:

quote:

Fundamentally, this is a government that has what the German philosopher Carl Schmitt called a presupposition of conflict. It sees itself as threatened on all sides. I have, in a study that’s coming out…a threat assessment that essentially NATO and the U.S. are advancing, are creating threats to strategic stability — that’s missile defenses — and that the likelihood of war in an around Russia’s frontiers is growing. And they’ve been saying those kind of things for about five or six years now. It’s not just a new wrinkle in Russian thinking.

quote:

Further, Putin said, at the same time we see methodical attempts to undermine the strategic balance in various ways and forms — missile defense. The United States has essentially launched now the second phase in its global missile defense system. There are attempts to sound out possibilities for expanding NATO further eastward. That tells me that they have bought an intelligence assessment that doesn’t exist, that is basically fabricated. There is nobody in this town or in Brussels talking about expanding NATO. It’s not going to happen anytime soon. Yet Russian intelligence and the government obviously believe this. And that’s already a sign of something dangerous.

The second quote is extremely telling, because it demonstrates that, in spite of NATO signaling that it is not interested in more expansion anytime soon, Russia doesn't believe it - at least as far as the current playing field is concerned. They are going to need to be convinced if they are going to believe that Ukrainian accession to NATO is off the table.

Mark Adomanis of Forbes continues off of that interview:

quote:

What obscure sources could the Russians be using to come to such a wacky conclusion? How could their intelligence analysts have possibly determined that NATO is going to expand?

Well perhaps they went to NATO’s website where under a section helpfully titled “NATO expansion” it notes that ”Georgia and Ukraine – which were already engaged in an Intensified Dialogue with NATO – will become members in the future.” Or, perhaps, the Russians took note when the United States’ Secretary of State, in a meeting that included representatives of the Georgian government and other perspective members, said “I believe this summit should be the last summit that is not an enlargement summit.” Or maybe the Russians read the op-ed by Estonia’s defense minister in which he berated them for not understanding that Georgian NATO membership was inevitable: ”Did Russian officials not hear when on two recent occasions, most recently at May’s NATO Summit in Chicago, that Georgia was assured of admission into NATO?”

Former ambassador to the USSR Jack Matlock had this to say just a week and a half ago:

quote:

The fact is they are going to intervene until they are certain that there is no prospect of Ukraine becoming a member of NATO. And all of the threats by NATO and so on to sort of increase defenses elsewhere is simply provocative to the Russians. Now, I’m not saying that’s right, but I am saying that’s the way Russia is going to react. And frankly, this is all predictable. And those of us who helped negotiate the end of the Cold War almost unanimously said in the 1990s, “Do not expand NATO eastward. Find a different way to protect eastern Europe, a way that includes Russia. Otherwise, eventually there’s going to be a confrontation, because there is a red line, as far as any Russian government is concerned, when it comes to Ukraine and Georgia and other former republics of the Soviet Union.”
if I had been asked when I was ambassador of the United States in Moscow in 1991, “Is there an understanding that NATO won’t move to the east?” I would have said, “Yes, there is.” However, it was not a legal commitment, and one could say that once the Soviet Union collapsed, any agreement then maybe didn’t hold, except that when you think about it, if there was no reason to expand NATO when the Soviet Union existed, there was even less reason when the Soviet Union collapsed and you were talking about Russia. And the reason many of us—myself, George Kennan, many of us—argued against NATO expansion in the ’90s was precisely to avoid the sort of situation we have today. It was totally predictable. If we start expanding NATO, as we get closer to the Russian border, they are going to consider this a hostile act. And at some point, they will draw a line, and they will do anything within their power to keep it from going any further. That’s what we’re seeing today.[/b][/quote]

Now, with regard to your argument about whether or not Russia would have still been aggressive without NATO to balance it and protect former Soviet states - I think there's a lot of validity to that concern. I don't think it was assured by any means, but I think it's possible. But as Ambassador Matlock points out above, there were other ways the US and Western Europe could have guaranteed the security and independence of those states. One alliance that would have been ideal for that sort of thing is OSCE, a group that could have guaranteed collective security for all of its member states, and included Russia in the discussion, without the anti-Russian, Cold War-era baggage that NATO carries to this day. It may not seem as practical a possibility nowadays, since OSCE is much weaker than NATO, but had it been given the attention and central role required, I think it would have done a much better job of maintaining collective security in Europe without also fanning the flames of Russian nationalism.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 15, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cliff Racer posted:

They're combat ready to be pushed to the floor and raped by Russia if thats what it comes down to. Its not so much a matter of combat readiness as it is that Russia is militarily advanced and so much bigger than them that they wouldn't stand a chance at defending themselves or even really slowing Russia down for long. Poland and Romania should be relatively easy for NATO to defend but I still can't figure out a way to defend the Baltics from a hypothetical invasion without having actual bases there to assemble troops in before it gets to that point.

We must hold the Carpathian passes, from the Wista to the Danube, we must hold off this slavic migration for the gloey of Pax Americanum.

Or, we could just let Russia see what life is like as a Chinese puppet and then pst them on the head when they come back to us. If anyone in Europe knows about beating your wife to show her how much you love her, it'd certainly be Russia.

Ps youre still joining us for the war on ISIS, right? Dont take Ukraine so personally bro, you got dealt a bad hand and we won the pot.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

We must hold the Carpathian passes, from the Wista to the Danube, we must hold off this slavic migration for the gloey of Pax Americanum.

Or, we could just let Russia see what life is like as a Chinese puppet and then pst them on the head when they come back to us. If anyone in Europe knows about beating your wife to show her how much you love her, it'd certainly be Russia.

Ps youre still joining us for the war on ISIS, right? Dont take Ukraine so personally bro, you got dealt a bad hand and we won the pot.

Meh, China's got problems of its own - I doubt we'll see Russia as their puppet for a few decades at least, if ever. Russia probably does want to partner with us on ISIS, though. They know that nasty international militant groups that worm their way into the North Caucasus usually end up causing a lot of problems for Moscow down the line. I'm hoping we can wrap up this Ukraine crisis as soon as possible, so that Russia helps us in the Middle East and we can avoid engaging in a lasting war in Iraq and Syria. I'm really annoyed that Obama has gotten us involved in that, but I think that the only way we're going to get out of it quickly and relatively painlessly is with Russia's cooperation.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cliff Racer posted:

I have an idea.

But first some other stuff.

Russia is the strongest military power in eastern Europe by a wide margin. But Russia has serious weaknesses as well. Over the long term, it has declining manpower and problems with its military-industrial base that are eroding its ability to fight a conventional war. The other problem is that Russia cannot sustain war on multiple fronts. While it can commit a lot of heavy forces on a single front, it necessarily leaves its other fronts (such as central Asia) vulnerable.

It's not just that soldiers on the ground are committed in bulk in one front while leaving another open, but also Russia's important airborne infantry units that are expected to be available rapidly in a crisis -- these were used in Crimea -- and also the air force's heavy transport planes. I don't know the exact number, but Russia has only a couple of these. Most Russian military units move by rail. So if Russia commits conventional forces heavily in one area, it can be attacked from another direction. NATO states have a much greater ability to project power around the globe, and can either introduce forces into central Asia or stir up unrest in its underbelly.

So Russia is doing everything it can to avoid this. What we're seeing in Ukraine is how Russia wants to fight NATO. It relies heavily on deniable paramilitaries, mercenaries and other unofficial "concerned citizens" backed by special forces and stand-off weapons. The bulk of the conventional forces are not committed. More importantly, the doctrine scales up or down depending on the objectives. So in a more limited scenario, you introduce "local" militants and scale up to laser-guided standoff weapons and the like depending on the size of who you want to blow up.

It also might not technically constitute an "invasion" under the NATO charter -- that is, if European politicians afraid of war want to interpret it that way. So it's designed to give European nations an "out." It's all about fighting a very postmodern "non-war" war. Conventional forces are also only introduced in numbers once the situation on the ground is irretrievably lost to the defender.

The Russian military is very smart. They know what their weaknesses are, and they've adapted to their circumstances.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
You forgot NATO. NATO is the strongest military power in Eastern Europe by a wide margin.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So what do the Baltic states do about this? The answer is to look around at other small, tiny nations around the world that are surrounded by bigger ones, and that managed to survive. And the two nations I would look at are Switzerland and Israel. (Maybe Vietnam, too.)

Sure, Israel is the strongest military power in the Middle East right now. But it used to face a serious threat from the combined Arab armies until 1973, which outnumbered it. Switzerland doesn't have to worry about an invasion today, but it has survived for centuries surrounded by large, central European land empires.

There's various tactical and operational and blah blah blah stuff these countries do. But what's most important is that Switzerland and Israel built and maintained certain martial traditions. And one of these is the idea that every citizen has a responsibility to protect the country against invasions from both conventional and unconventional foes. In 2008, there was an Israeli Arab man who hijacked a bulldozer and started smashing things with it, and was then killed by an off-duty soldier armed with a pistol that a civilian handed him. You don't wait for the police, the army, or the politicians, who will likely be too slow to respond anyways. If there was a major Palestinian uprising in proximity to Jewish settlements, the settlers will shoot back without asking the IDF for approval first. Leave aside the political arguments about Israeli settlements, and just think about how and why that works.

I think the United States might have elements of this tradition, though we don't really practice it today. But post-9/11 you could say we basically went into this mode as a de facto response to air hijackings. If you attempt to hijack an airplane today, you have to expect the entire passenger section to mobilize into a little army. So what the Baltic states need to do is think about how to equip their citizens into a force that can respond without central direction in both violent and non-violent ways against Russian "non-war" provocations. You might not be able to resist a giant Russian attack, but you can resist a small unofficial Russian attack led by privatized mercenaries and the like. That means if Russia wants to take you over, it must blatantly trigger Article 5, which it will be inclined not to do. So it's a strategy that checks Russian aggression.

My Imaginary GF posted:

You forgot NATO. NATO is the strongest military power in Eastern Europe by a wide margin.
Yeah I suppose so now that you mention it.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 15, 2014

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Omi-Polari posted:

Sure, Israel is the strongest military power in the Middle East right now. But it used to face a serious threat from the combined Arab armies until 1973, which outnumbered it. Switzerland doesn't have to worry about an invasion today, but it has survived for centuries surrounded by large, central European land empires.

It became the strongest military power after Kissinger argued for closer financial/military support during said war.

Omi-Polari posted:

I think the United States might have elements of this tradition, though we don't really practice it today. But post-9/11 you could say we basically went into this mode as a de facto response to air hijackings. If you attempt to hijack an airplane today, you have to expect the entire passenger section to mobilize into a little army. So what the Baltic states need to do is think about how to equip their citizens into a force that can respond without central direction in both violent and non-violent ways against Russian "non-war" provocations. You might not be able to resist a giant Russian attack, but you can resist a small unofficial Russian attack led by privatized mercenaries and the like. That means if Russia wants to take you over, it must blatantly trigger Article 5, which it will be inclined not to do. So it's a strategy that checks Russian aggression.

Russia is going to invoke its entire response on how much of a presence NATO has in the region. By presence, I mean just more than the local military garrison. It's why talks of Ukraine joining NATO are really late in the game now, as it was for Georgia after Russia had their way with them. With respect to that, there is a bit of political insensitivity here. Russia has most definitely been trying the waters these last few years, prodding NATO and seeing how it would respond, and using that to terrorize the ex-Soviet blocs.

As for the argument as to whether Russia would've gone after Crimea at some point without NATO threatening them? Absolutely. It's a historically contested region whose importance well predates the Cold War.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Job Truniht posted:

It became the strongest military power after Kissinger argued for closer financial/military support during said war.

Russia is going to invoke its entire response on how much of a presence NATO has in the region. By presence, I mean just more than the local military garrison. It's why talks of Ukraine joining NATO are really late in the game now, as it was for Georgia after Russia had their way with them. With respect to that, there is a bit of political insensitivity here. Russia has most definitely been trying the waters these last few years, prodding NATO and seeing how it would respond, and using that to terrorize the ex-Soviet blocs.

As for the argument as to whether Russia would've gone after Crimea at some point without NATO threatening them? Absolutely. It's a historically contested region whose importance well predates the Cold War.

If only those Poles hadn't gotten greedy and allied with the turks.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Why doesn't Russia start it's own NATO, like um the International North Eurasian Protection Treaty (INEPT) and then invite its bordering countries i.e. Poland, Estonia, etc. to it and say cool you got bros that protect you if we attack we will protect you if the West double crosses you and attacks you?

They can make an Article 5 too that says we are bound like blood brats to aid each other.

Then they can put defensive missiles on their soil so the Baltics would have protection from each side.

Why isn't this a good solution? (seriously folks do my homework for me here)

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
they tried it, it was called the warsaw pact but like all good things reagan destroyed it

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Runaktla posted:

Why doesn't Russia start it's own NATO, like um the International North Eurasian Protection Treaty (INEPT) and then invite its bordering countries i.e. Poland, Estonia, etc. to it and say cool you got bros that protect you if we attack we will protect you if the West double crosses you and attacks you?

They can make an Article 5 too that says we are bound like blood brats to aid each other.

Then they can put defensive missiles on their soil so the Baltics would have protection from each side.

You know, I heard its pretty cheap to buy a Chinese general. Maybe we could pay someone off by buying all that excess iron ore they're leaving out to rust at 73% off what we sold it to them for, and get them to move their little peasant army to the Russian borders. Hell, we'll craft some great talking points on how they're doing it to 'save the face of the Chinese nation at the Russian insult of not respecting Chinese culture' to negotiate a better deal on lots of natural gas.

Hell, if they negotiate someone good enough, we'd consider repealing our ban on selling hydrocarbons abroad and buy it off their hands to make sure our allies in Europe know that they can always buy their way into a warm place in our hearth.

At this point, can't we just go gg we win latez and everyone be all like 'ya its p cool, youre ok?' That's all we want, Russia, a little self-affirmation for how awesome we are would be nice. We'd even be willing to sign a NATO+1 Treaty of Eternal Friendship with ya'lls if ya do. Think about it: we could be besties again and go bear hunting on our snowmos all over! You know those panzy-rear end Euros would just protest you if you went off killing all the Siberian bears by your loansome, so why not bring a friend with some big guns and the will to use them?

On second thought, we just did poorly in the midterm. Let's hit the reset on our eternal friendship.

E:

Pornographic Memory posted:

they tried it, it was called the warsaw pact but like all good things reagan destroyed it

You underestimate the power of united Czech-slovak

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
So tl;dr is got butthurt?

And whose that pic of Rand alPaul?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Runaktla posted:

So tl;dr is got butthurt?

And whose that pic of Rand alPaul?

Our lord and savior Tom Clancy!

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I still don't get how its the West/NATO's fault that Russia is super paranoid that we are going to attack them in spite of all evidence to the contrary. I doubt promising them extra super hard that we weren't going to attack them would have worked since they clearly don't give a poo poo about any sort of treaty's.

Ok so they are paranoid and saw NATO's expansion as a threat to them (maybe it was I guess since it meant less neutral countries for them to bully and invade) but the only alternative was to tell Eastern Europe to get hosed or disband NATO. Wouldn't that have lead Eastern Europe to form it's own collection of defense treaties and right now we would have a massive shooting war between Poland, Ukraine and whatever other nations joined them verses Russia? That would be worse than the current situation yeah?

Edit:

To Clancy it up a bit more, imagine if NATO told Poland (along with others) no back in the 90's and they decided to go Nuclear since they realized that an Polish centered alliance of a few Eastern European nations might not dissuade a resurgent Russia from attacking them anyway unless they also had nukes.

Runaktla posted:

Why doesn't Russia start it's own NATO...

Because Russia is run by thieves, murderers, fascists and all around lunatics. Anybody with any sense runs away as fast as they can from poo poo like that.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 15, 2014

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
So basically Russia is a corrupt shithole and it is roughing up its neighbor Ukraine for seeking protection from an entity that is less corrupt is kinda all that's going on here?

So Majorians posts about how we should not have pissed off Russia by expanding NATO really boils down to how badly do we want to make Russian border countries' lives better? Should we have just let them continue to suffer under Russia's influence... just... because...???

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Since this is Clancychat, let's say the US just said "gently caress it" and left Europe to fend for itself. Is there anyone outside of the UK and France who could feasibly stop the Russians? It seems that after WWII most of Europe went "there will never be war in europe again and if there is the US will bail us out".

Someone in the non-clancychat thread mentioned Germany having 8 operational jetfighters, I'm wondering if everyone else is in that kind of shape.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Runaktla posted:

All joking aside, when Russia's entreaties to join NATO went nowhere, a lot of folks concerned with how Russia would integrate with Europe hoped that OSCE (formerly CSCE) would take on the mantle of the primary collective security organization in Europe. I think this would have been a much better solution than trying to fit the square peg of NATO's historic mission into the round hole of a post-Soviet, post-Cold War Europe. It's the only pan-European organization that also includes the US and Russia. As such, it doesn't carry NATO's "Russia vs. the West" baggage, and isn't perceived as great of a threat as NATO is by the Russians in general. The Wilson Center had a panel discussion some years ago on the topic, and listed a number of specific reasons why OSCE would have been a much better choice than NATO for a 21st-century collective security organization.

Unfortunately, this never really came to pass:

quote:

[Russian Foreign Minister] Andrei Kozyrev called for a new security system based on the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe (CSCE) and suggested NATO subordinate itself to this new organization - an idea NATO quickly rejected.

This was particularly unfortunate because it helped bring about the fall of Kozyrev, who was a very pro-Western foreign minister. (that whole piece I've linked is a really excellent rundown of the history of NATO since the fall of the USSR, by the way)

Runaktla posted:

So basically Russia is a corrupt shithole and it is roughing up its neighbor Ukraine for seeking protection from an entity that is less corrupt is kinda all that's going on here?

Not so much - it's more about Russia having a buffer state between itself and NATO, as well as not having another country on its border that could conceivably have NATO nukes and ABMs pointed at Russian missiles and cities.

e:

Pornographic Memory posted:

That too.:ussr:

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 15, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ranbo das posted:

Since this is Clancychat, let's say the US just said "gently caress it" and left Europe to fend for itself. Is there anyone outside of the UK and France who could feasibly stop the Russians? It seems that after WWII most of Europe went "there will never be war in europe again and if there is the US will bail us out".

Someone in the non-clancychat thread mentioned Germany having 8 operational jetfighters, I'm wondering if everyone else is in that kind of shape.
It would seem unlikely that the US would do that overnight; even under the wise and beneficent direction of Dr. Ron Paul, we would if nothing else have to do heavy airlift to move all our poo poo back home. I imagine the EU would modernize up to fill the gap.

I think Europe expected, probably correctly, that in the event of another major war, Europe (especially Germany) would be the conventional battleground and everywhere else would explode in nuclear fire.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nessus posted:

It would seem unlikely that the US would do that overnight; even under the wise and beneficent direction of Dr. Ron Paul, we would if nothing else have to do heavy airlift to move all our poo poo back home.

Do you think it's possible we're living in the movie "Demolition Man" and the wise and beneficent Dr. Ron Paul is really Dr. Cocteau? Please say yes.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Russia expecting to maintain a respected status in the the non-Russian former USSR via Europe-centric international institutions was always unrealistic in view of the antipathy many of these countries felt toward Russian influence, most prominently in the Baltic states

You can't behave like that, Britain has good relations with much of its former empire but it was sensitive toward being seen as interfering on the basis of inherited legacies rather than contemporary power. This meant, more or less, abandoning those inherited legacies, in the physical form of families or even whole minorities who had put their lives and faith in an enduring British administration. Sixty thousand white settlers in Kenya? You're on your own. Seventy thousand Indians in Uganda? Save yourselves.

Was Russia willing to just shrug at all those ethnic Russians in, say, Chechnya? Well, no. That's fair, but you can't do that and also expect to conform to an European view on how to deal with such conflicts (cynically, to let the breakaway nationalists do their thing whilst evacuating select pied-noirs, then preach about human rights from a comfortable office in Brussels). Of course Europe says: political solution for Chechnya. Of course Russia says: no way. So how plausible was an Europeanized Russia anyway?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So for Russia a neutral Ukraine is one that:
  • is economically tied to Russia
  • keeps Russian military bases on its territory (Sevastopol)
  • gives privileged status to the ethnic Russian minority (Donbass)
  • joins the Eurasian Union
  • does not join the European Union, no way, no how

This is very strong neutrality here.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I listed to a Dan Carlin Common Sense podcast yesterday where he talks about the Ukrainian crisis at length and I could feel my mind slipping because he basically lays it all down at the foot of the US/EU/NATO.

By throwing support behind the anti-Yanukovych movements and expanding NATO into the Baltic states, the West 'poked the Bear' and so this is all something that the West deserves because of course the US would react in a similar manner if someone did something like this in Mexico (and assuming Mexico has the same relative history as Ukraine does relative to Russia). I can understand the NATO-expanding-into-the-Baltic part, but a lot of it felt like handwaving away Putin being a bastard and now I don't really know what to think.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gradenko_2000 posted:

I listed to a Dan Carlin Common Sense podcast yesterday where he talks about the Ukrainian crisis at length and I could feel my mind slipping because he basically lays it all down at the foot of the US/EU/NATO.

By throwing support behind the anti-Yanukovych movements and expanding NATO into the Baltic states, the West 'poked the Bear' and so this is all something that the West deserves because of course the US would react in a similar manner if someone did something like this in Mexico (and assuming Mexico has the same relative history as Ukraine does relative to Russia). I can understand the NATO-expanding-into-the-Baltic part, but a lot of it felt like handwaving away Putin being a bastard and now I don't really know what to think.

That line of argument reminds me of the people who'll say "well what did she expect!" when a woman gets murdered because her ex is jealous of her new boyfriend.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the US has a superpower's geographical sphere of influence; it seems unreasonable to therefore argue that Russia also deserves a sphere of influence. Nukes are irrelevant since nobody is going to nuke each other over Estonia. Ideology, well, the US is hardly the beacon of the success of post-Depression mixed-economy capitalism, and Russia is no longer the champion of communism, so what's there to say?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

ranbo das posted:

I think it's very unlikely that Russia would be able to succesfully invade western/middle europe once they encounter hostile civilian populations. With the modern arsenal of underground fighters (IEDs, RPGs etc.) combined with the threat of functioning military organizations would be a very strong opponent for the russian military, which is not the behemoth the Red Army was.

If you combine the active personal of the UK, France, Germany and Italy they surpass the number of Russian soldiers and Turkey alone has nearly as many active soldiers as Russia (760k vs. 660k).

If your hypothetical conflict is Nato(-USA) vs Russia and we exclude nukes because they would get the US involved, the Russian forces probably get stopped somewhere in the Poland/Slovenia/Hungry/Romania belt with a major threat coming from the south where Turkey starts a counteroffensive via Georgia and Azerbaijan.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Ruble's gone from 36 to 38 to the dollar. Oligarchs are presented with an interesting quandary. Keep their money inside Russia and have the value vanish, or move it outside and leave it prey for freezes/seizures.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Warcabbit posted:

Ruble's gone from 36 to 38 to the dollar. Oligarchs are presented with an interesting quandary. Keep their money inside Russia and have the value vanish, or move it outside and leave it prey for freezes/seizures.

That or find a better tax/sanction haven to hide it in. Also, you could also hold dollars in Russian banks...or line your mattress with them.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

So for Russia a neutral Ukraine is one that:
  • is economically tied to Russia
  • keeps Russian military bases on its territory (Sevastopol)
  • gives privileged status to the ethnic Russian minority (Donbass)
  • joins the Eurasian Union
  • does not join the European Union, no way, no how

This is very strong neutrality here.

You are correct in this is not something we would consider objectively neutral. But the articles that have been suggested in this thread are an honest attempt to explain that Russia's relationship with not just the U.S. but the West is a special one, where their needs are often at odds with ours. They are not able to sidestep or ignore the tension of being an isolated world-class nation the same way, say, China does and so they are burdened with being too weak to ignore perceptions while still big enough that everything they do draws the attention of all the other world-class nations.

This isn't a thread about how Russia is breaking NATO's rules or acting in its own interest at the cost of world stability. It's about Russia being in a position where no one but themselves want them to win in any long-term sense. And being honest and respectful to the position the other is in is definitely as neutral as things get globally.

Also, with Russia being in the state it's in even if the West wins it won't change Russia into playing nice or reforming its policy. Their people will just double down freeper-style.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Since it's Clancychat thread: if Russia attacks NATO they don't really need to send armoured columns toward west, it'd be doable for them to destroy most of combat potential of baltics, Poland and whomever they pick for first strike target Yom Kippur-style. Then they could "regime change" Ukraine with massive strike and negotiate from the position of power. For example force demilitarization of baltics and eastern part of Poland.

utjkju
Feb 3, 2014

I told it: "leave" But To me answered: "rrrrrrrrrrrr".
Russia has a course on independence of ruble of dollar. With Russia, China, India, Turkey, Vietnam will to have payment in national currencies. Can join and other countries of BRICS later.

Россия уходит от доллара. Китай, Индия, Вьетнам, Турция И Россия будут рассчитываться в национальных валютах. Сейчас создается правовая сфера для этого.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

alex314 posted:

Since it's Clancychat thread: if Russia attacks NATO they don't really need to send armoured columns toward west, it'd be doable for them to destroy most of combat potential of baltics, Poland and whomever they pick for first strike target Yom Kippur-style. Then they could "regime change" Ukraine with massive strike and negotiate from the position of power. For example force demilitarization of baltics and eastern part of Poland.

Not as a point against you, just asking about the topic:

Do people really not understand how much of a rabid, actively destabilising actor Russia could become if we get them to over-commit to on-going, non-goal-having wars that they can't pay for without ruining their economy and preventing meaningful reform for another generation because of how scared they'll be?

• Locked thread