Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They are numbers games that the government runs that basically only poor people participate in, spending a disproportionately high amount of their own income in a game they will never win and also that money never finds its way into the programs it is supposed to.

Also every time I go into the store for something some alkie lottolord is trying to turn the cash register into his own person Vegas and just gently caress off man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Nobody is forcing poors to spend their welfare check on a pyramid scheme.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
its funny to watch people pay to be bad at math

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i think this same op started an anti lottery thread like six months ago

get off yr high horse and gtfo of my way i'm buying lotto and ima win this time

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
can't win if you don't play!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
yep it is pretty hosed up OP

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
But... someone HAS to win and one day It Will Be Me.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Look, the odds of winning are 1:4.53 Ill be a millionaire sooner or later. Gotta spend money to make money :toot:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
We should probably ban lotteries and just instate a straight-up stupid tax.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

nomadologique posted:

i think this same op started an anti lottery thread like six months ago

get off yr high horse and gtfo of my way i'm buying lotto and ima win this time

I actually didn't.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006
sometimes i use extra $1s to get scratch offs because ones are pretty useless but my city like only sells 5s and above now and its like drat poor people got money

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh also it leads to poor people opposing progressive tax hikes on the rich because they don't want to pay those taxes one day when they are rich from playing the lottery.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Darth123123 posted:

can't win if you don't play!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It's a tax op.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

It's a tax op.

Yeah a super regressive one.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

But how else will we pay for education without a stupidity tax on the most vulnerable?

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
im in favor of lotteries because otherwise my taxes would be higher

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
Will the stupid tax be flat? Hopefully I'm too stoopid to understand a graduated system.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The top marginal tax rate should be 90%.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

zoux posted:

You mean like during the times when the nation was the most prosperous? PREPOSTEROUS!

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

zoux posted:

Top income or top stupidity?

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Yeah you don't see it when the idiot's in front of you buyin' tix, but who knows what potholes he's paying for, or some other civics kinda poo poo.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

How is it bad if someone eventually wins, it's another form of gambling and anyone who willingly participates (should) be well aware of the odds.

Another yuppie telling the poors what to think and do imo.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
sorry about your gambling addiction op

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People do such a bad job of living their own lives they really shouldn't have very much financial agency imho.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

tell someone who won $20 million how dumb they are, op

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma
So you ban lotteries and then you go back to how it used to be with people buying black market lotteries where the winners are fixed or sometimes non-existent. People will be dumb with their money as a rule. Can you blame the government for wanting their cut?

BTW even with legal lotteries, the underground "numbers" games still exist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LifeSizePotato posted:

tell someone who won $20 million how dumb they are, op

See what Ill do there is just wait four years after they are completely destitute again because that's what happens to virtually all lottery winners because someone who buys a shitload of lotto tickets their whole lives guess what! Also don't have very good money mgmt skills.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Here in Canada they've had a huge decline in lottery sales. I suspect that its a combination of younger people realizing that you're better off not spending money on it and that people have less disposable income.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

tiananman posted:

So you ban lotteries and then you go back to how it used to be with people buying black market lotteries where the winners are fixed or sometimes non-existent. People will be dumb with their money as a rule. Can you blame the government for wanting their cut?

BTW even with legal lotteries, the underground "numbers" games still exist.

Banning lotteries is just one plank in my 1000 point platform on How to Fix this lovely Nation by Transitioning to Full FUckin' Communism.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

zoux posted:

See what Ill do there is just wait four years after they are completely destitute again because that's what happens to virtually all lottery winners because someone who buys a shitload of lotto tickets their whole lives guess what! Also don't have very good money mgmt skills.

they're not spending money on lotto tickets, they're spending it on hope

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
We need to murder rich people and take their money to fund this poo poo.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Better than spending most of your income on imaginary spaceships

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

have a state run lottery where you have no choice if you play or not and if you are picked you have to fight with 23 other people in some kind of crazy space age arena. maybe you'll catch on fire or something.

we'll call it Poorpeople Wars.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

zoux posted:

Banning lotteries is just one plank in my 1000 point platform on How to Fix this lovely Nation by Transitioning to Full FUckin' Communism.

The only way to ban lotteries completely is to IQ cleanse the population. OH but that's right you're going to be killing your way to full blown communism anyway, carry on.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Can't get rid of the lottery, the lottery should be free.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty libertine about a lot of things, but I draw the line at gambling because that is legalized rat poison. Ban all of it.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Goon: "Haha yeah the lottery is really just a stupid tax for dumb people"

*Goon buys account on an internet forum in the year 2014 to post "im gay" in every thread*

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lol at people who buy scratchers also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
On a related note lottery winners often have sucky lives post-winning.

Source: something I read on the 'net

• Locked thread