Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Stalins economic policy was just a softened version of Trotsky's and both of them were basically trickle-down economics with rich people replaced by Gosplan bureaucrats. They at least had the fear of being shot to motivate them, and an economy simple enough for a handful of people to collectively understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Joe
Nov 27, 2006

DDFH

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

nixon deliberately sabotaged peace talks to end the vietnam war in order to be elected in 68, which went on to kill millons

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21768668

I enjoyed reading that, thanks for the link

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
history likes a winner. how many people you slaughter is irrelevant. Hitler was a loser; after his leadership germany was in ruins and carved up by foreign powers. if we where living in the 1000 year reich the holocaust wouldn't look so bad. Stalin kill lots sure but he also got poo poo done; literacy and life expectancy doubled under him and industrial output grew exponentially. Stalin turned a backwater into a world superpower.

you think Caesar Augustus had no blood on his hands? lol no one cares because of what he did the empire thrived at its peak for two centurys.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
yeah it's kind of like how America keeps committing crimes against humanity and poo poo but no one really cares because they're untouchable anyway

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3gwyHNo7MI

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

pretend i emptyquoted all of ths' posts itt

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Stalin

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

i will never be able to get over how much of a babe young stalin was

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If you don't watch all of this just skip to 16 where they compare the construction of the soviet union under stalin to building Gary, Indiana, with an interview from a former resident talking about how proud he was to build a city from nothing.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Zzulu posted:

yeah it's kind of like how America keeps committing crimes against humanity and poo poo but no one really cares because they're untouchable anyway

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Zzulu posted:

You are a loving idiot.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

You are a loving idiot.

Why the gently caress are you posting in this thread OP? This is Stalins now bugger off in a polish forest somewhere

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Crewmine posted:

i will never be able to get over how much of a babe young stalin was

People had thicker hair in the past. What's that about?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ShaqDiesel posted:

the government sponsoring corn syrup ended the possibility of a healthy america with thick flowing hair, the golden age is over i heard online

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ShaqDiesel posted:

They were younger then.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

facebook jihad posted:

You are a loving idiot.

hey hey fbj, how many posts you make today

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
He seems like the type of person that would be good with children.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Stalins biggest crime was bringing back Impressionism.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Yvershek posted:

He seems like the type of person that would be good with children.

Let me tell you why you have to murder your parents for my enter... for the motherland.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
OP as a Russian I fully support your position also Stalin basically shot my great grandpa

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lichy posted:

OP as a Russian I fully support your position also Stalin basically shot my great grandpa

I wish he'd been more thorough.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Revolution is not a dinner party, or writing an essay, or painting a picture, or doing embroidery; it cannot be so refined, so leisurely and gentle, so temperate, kind, courteous, restrained and magnanimous. A revolution is an insurrection, an act of violence by which one class overthrows another

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The entire history of Russia could be summed up with a picture a of a dude in a stupid hat shoving millions of dim-eyed, slack-jawed peasants clutching empty potato bags and ammo-less rifles into a giant meat grinder.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
the cool thing about all the old bolsheviks is that without exception their lives read like an over-the-top movie script filled with ridiculous plot twists and conspiracy bullshit

russian history owns (unless you are ukrainian or polish)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
So I've read the whole thread and am prepared to rank modern history's greatest monsters:

1. Hitler
2. Stalin
3. Mao
4. Pol Pot
5. Nixon
6. Mussolini
7. Franco
8. Idi Amin
9. Some Hutsi or Tutsi
10. Amerikkka

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
mussolini only ranks as a monster if we're including retarded clowns as monsters

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i dont think mussolini even makes the top ten list of italy's greatest monsters. hes outclassed by guys that had to do all their killing with like spathas and poo poo.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

stalin and hitler were both bad imo

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

paranoid randroid posted:

i dont think mussolini even makes the top ten list of italy's greatest monsters. hes outclassed by guys that had to do all their killing with like spathas and poo poo.

probably pretty low on the list of romagna's greatest monsters, really

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

paranoid randroid posted:

mussolini only ranks as a monster if we're including retarded clowns as monsters

True. But he's worse than Franco.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

redshirt posted:

True. But he's worse than Franco.

have you ever seen the valley of the fallen???

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
has anyone itt defended trotski yet because he was a beta human being that never committed atrocities simply because he never got the chance to?

hypothetical communist leaders best communist leaders

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

icantfindaname posted:

he would also force his officers/subordinates to drink so much at official banquets they would literally go unconscious from alcohol poisoning at the table

dunno this one might just be russian hospitality

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Das Boo posted:

There was a story about Stalin's men trying to coerce confessions from a group of doctors. At one point his men came to him and told him that the doctors simply weren't complying. His reply was, "Get those confessions or you'll find yourselves a head shorter!"

:allears:

the reason stalin died is that he had standing orders that nobody, including his personal guards or doctors, was to enter his bedroom for any reason. he once tested them by yelling and screaming like he was in pain and when the guards burst in he had them all executed

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

newreply.php posted:

has anyone itt defended trotski yet because he was a beta human being that never committed atrocities simply because he never got the chance to?

hypothetical communist leaders best communist leaders

Uh no he would have put Germany to the sword if the glorious poles hadn't stopped him with their like only military victory ever.

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

If you don't watch all of this just skip to 16 where they compare the construction of the soviet union under stalin to building Gary, Indiana, with an interview from a former resident talking about how proud he was to build a city from nothing.

an autistic society no wonder goons love it.

finally, it has been said

an epic eureka never uttered before

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

the reason stalin died is that he had standing orders that nobody, including his personal guards or doctors, was to enter his bedroom for any reason. he once tested them by yelling and screaming like he was in pain and when the guards burst in he had them all executed

One of the reasons the ussr responded so poorly to Germany's invasion was Stalin went on a five day bender and nothing could be done without him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

FizFashizzle posted:

I wish he'd been more thorough.

stay safe well adjusted GBS poster

• Locked thread