Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Shwqa posted:

Price evens out at 20k for the most expensive stuff while gold has no cap. Gold formula is somehow tied to your luck and the enemy's level. I get a few thousand gold on my normal runs now.

My gold build is bouquet / thief / mimic with a spoon or quarter on the screen.

quarter didn't work but spoon did. lifehacks

(seriously thank you for this idea)

Okay, upgraded longsword/dnasuit/blade is absurd. Cleared lucifer and luciferx on first try in the same run

emdash fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
So I'm completely stuck on Cannibis. He kills me in two hits before I've even got a fifth of his health down. What gives?

I'm lvl 63, using longsword, hero armour and a slime. 77 power, 61 speed, 66 vitality, 62 intelligence and 59 luck.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Opal posted:

So I'm completely stuck on Cannibis. He kills me in two hits before I've even got a fifth of his health down. What gives?

I'm lvl 63, using longsword, hero armour and a slime. 77 power, 61 speed, 66 vitality, 62 intelligence and 59 luck.

Add more speed.

Basically, that's the answer to almost all bosses. Get your speed up to 200 and you'll probably beat him (i cant remember the number i had).

Later on you get access to gear that can essentially stunlock bosses, but it still comes down to speed to avoid even getting hit by them.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Alright, I'll try that.

How legit is this advice?

some Redditor posted:

What kind of build are you going for in the late game? If you're looking for a high speed build, then just level power and speed from now on - a lot of people like 2pow/3spd for auto-leveling. I personally went 1pow/4spd for a long time and switched over to 2pow/3spd and my speed is about twice as high as my power. If you're going to invest in vitality, you're going to need to put a lot of points to make it worth while because otherwise, everything will one shot you (think 10k investment or so by the end of the game). You definitely don't need any more int, and luck is really based on preference (people generally like anything from 500 to 5000).

Is it possible to start a 'build' like that this early in the game? Should I really give up on Vit/Luck/Int completely?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Opal posted:

Should I really give up on Vit/Luck/Int completely?

Yes/sort of/probably. Vit sucks, don't pump it at all unless you want to waste your points. Bosses will still one shot you after a certain point, and regular enemies will never touch you anyway. My furthest distance is 32.9 and my vit is at 400 and that's only because of an OCD desire to make it a nice round number after I found out that it was worthless. If I take a hit I die regardless. Luck is worth putting something in, because you'll want to get some drops and it also has some bearing on crit damage. I got mine up to 1000, then later decided to push it up to 1500. Haven't really noticed a difference either way though. Int is worthless unless you're going for an int specific build, which probably means using the fire rod and nothing else all game. Not much fun. I leveled up with 1 pow 2 spd 2 luck for a while until luck was high enough for my taste, then went to 2 pow 3 spd. My pow is now around 8600 and my spd is around 12000, and the boss at 32.9 still downs me on the first hit, even with two spdup30s and armtwister on. He's a beast.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Knife/Pigtails/Deathbug gives Speed Up 10/20/30

Might be worth farming the Garden for

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Can the random rare monsters like OreSlime and Mimic spawn in the tunnel? I can't recall seeing them there, and I'm still missing all of them.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004

Opal posted:

If you can survive one hit, you can also equip anything with regen (Fabulous/Slime/Dice is achievable before beating him), and every time he hits you back off, heal and go in again. That's how I beat him with considerably lower stats than people are saying.

I may be gypping myself for future encounters with this strategy though.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I like putting point in vit because I want tank at least one hit from random monsters but it would take quite a vit and int heavy build to be able to tank bosses. It possible but it just takes a lot of grinding and big defense (reduce damage by 50%) suuuuucks to play. Big defense lowers your move to the slowest it can be, so it takes forever to make across the screen. To make matters worse you still need a ton of accuracy to hit bosses and pow to lower the amount of time you need to be tanking. While int gives int/2 accuracy it likely won't be enough.

So a vit build needs a lot of (in order of importance):
Vit
Int
Power
Speed

A speed build needs:
Speed
Power

So the speed build allows you to power through the game at a faster rate in terms of both how few levels you need and you speed at which you move. And because you got more stats to throw around it is easier to find time to build up your luck for more money and chest.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So what's the maximum distance you can go? I'm looking at the wiki and it says the shops more or less stop at at 21.3km.

I'm up to 18.3km at the minute, so i take it i've seen the majority of items and should start focusing on upgrading the gear i've got equipped now?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The last boss is at 33.4, but I don't know if the game ends or keeps going after that. I haven't quite made it there yet.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kin posted:

So what's the maximum distance you can go? I'm looking at the wiki and it says the shops more or less stop at at 21.3km.

I'm up to 18.3km at the minute, so i take it i've seen the majority of items and should start focusing on upgrading the gear i've got equipped now?

Yeah I found all the shop with items but shops keep showing up so you can upgrade everything to *9

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Shwqa posted:

Yeah I found all the shop with items but shops keep showing up so you can upgrade everything to *9

So is there just nothing in the shops after 22km then?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kin posted:

So is there just nothing in the shops after 22km then?

All filled with stuff you can buy earlier.

Opal
May 10, 2005

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yes/sort of/probably. Vit sucks, don't pump it at all unless you want to waste your points. Bosses will still one shot you after a certain point, and regular enemies will never touch you anyway. My furthest distance is 32.9 and my vit is at 400 and that's only because of an OCD desire to make it a nice round number after I found out that it was worthless. If I take a hit I die regardless. Luck is worth putting something in, because you'll want to get some drops and it also has some bearing on crit damage. I got mine up to 1000, then later decided to push it up to 1500. Haven't really noticed a difference either way though. Int is worthless unless you're going for an int specific build, which probably means using the fire rod and nothing else all game. Not much fun. I leveled up with 1 pow 2 spd 2 luck for a while until luck was high enough for my taste, then went to 2 pow 3 spd. My pow is now around 8600 and my spd is around 12000, and the boss at 32.9 still downs me on the first hit, even with two spdup30s and armtwister on. He's a beast.

Doing that now, thanks.

On a related note, how does the auto level feature work? I noticed you can tell it to auto level more than 5 points at once, does it calculate when and where to put points automatically over the course of a few levels or does it simply wait until you have enough points and apply it then?

ninja-edit:

Actually I just tested it myself and it's the latter. I'm doing 3/5/2 pow/spd/luk for the time being.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Opal posted:

On a related note, how does the auto level feature work?

If it matters at all, I've noticed the auto leveller revert back to previous settings a couple of times.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Does anyone have any experience with Acrobat? Even with my gottagofast build, the Acrobat/Speed 30 off Rattle/Haresuit/PShroom seems underwhelming, especially compared to Bide/NoGuard from Darknife/Heroarmor/GArmor

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
What does the x exp/min and y g/min do? I've noticed the values change but not seen them explained anywhere.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

nexus6 posted:

What does the x exp/min and y g/min do? I've noticed the values change but not seen them explained anywhere.

I think it's just the amount you currently average per minute.

Opal
May 10, 2005

So with a power/speed build is there really no trick to bosses other than getting your speed up enough so that you have time to kill him before he finally hits you? I get stuck on each of them for ages until I've grinded enough to get lucky and dodge his four or five hits before he dies. I'm on the octopus guy now and getting kinda bored.

(I alternate between Wooden Sword / Kendo / Beserker and Shuriken / Ninja / Bat for auto hit and dodge/power.)

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Paralyze also helps, although that's more a general strategy for most bosses.

Edit: If you're at Octoblue, you have access to the Shogun/Zaplance and DNASuit/Longsword or Bow combos to get a single paralyze.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 25, 2014

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

This game is like crack.

Are pets dropped by enemies? For example, If I wanted a bat pet would I have to grind loads of bats? If so I guess the drop chance must be pretty low because I feel like I've killed loads.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

nexus6 posted:

This game is like crack.

Are pets dropped by enemies? For example, If I wanted a bat pet would I have to grind loads of bats? If so I guess the drop chance must be pretty low because I feel like I've killed loads.

That's exactly how pets work except for normal bosses who always drop as a pet on the first kill.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Cool. Does anything affect the chance of finding a pet? I've gone up 50 levels since I last got one.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

nexus6 posted:

Cool. Does anything affect the chance of finding a pet? I've gone up 50 levels since I last got one.

There's a skill that increases chance of treasure I think, but I've never used it and just relied on LUK to fill out my pet list. Once you start pumping that the first pets from enemies should drop after a little bit of grinding.

Opal
May 10, 2005

SilverMike posted:

Paralyze also helps, although that's more a general strategy for most bosses.

Edit: If you're at Octoblue, you have access to the Shogun/Zaplance and DNASuit/Longsword or Bow combos to get a single paralyze.

Sweet! That worked. Thanks.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away
I am having CRAZY good runs with Knife/Ninja/Bat combo running a 2/5/1 POW/SPD/LUK autolvl. Farming up to pick up Woodswrd/Kendo/Berserker for easier farming.

Also, a bulldog clip works wonders for resting on screen

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
For just starting out, like 1-2km, should I just run until I die, then rinse/repeat? I have bought everythign in the first two stores, but don't have the gold for anything in the third. I have club/dragon armor/muddy at the moment, guard10/pow20.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Dante18907 posted:

I am having CRAZY good runs with Knife/Ninja/Bat combo running a 2/5/1 POW/SPD/LUK autolvl. Farming up to pick up Woodswrd/Kendo/Berserker for easier farming.

Also, a bulldog clip works wonders for resting on screen

how are you getting 8 points per level?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Telex posted:

how are you getting 8 points per level?

You don't. You use that setup in Auto Level. When you have 8 or more Points, it distributes them as you have them set up.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress yeah I killed Frankie! I have stuck on that douche for like a week.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Zhent posted:

For just starting out, like 1-2km, should I just run until I die, then rinse/repeat? I have bought everythign in the first two stores, but don't have the gold for anything in the third. I have club/dragon armor/muddy at the moment, guard10/pow20.

Yeah, grinding is an inevitably in this game. Make runs, get a treasure room eventually, hopefully that drops an item that'll slingshot you ahead of the curve.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Shwqa posted:

gently caress yeah I killed Frankie! I have stuck on that douche for like a week.

Congrats!

I haven't been playing too much this week, just trolling around with a discovery set and not getting anything but pity levels so far.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Congrats!

I haven't been playing too much this week, just trolling around with a discovery set and not getting anything but pity levels so far.

Yeah I was been basically doing the same, but work was slow today and I wanted him dead.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Shwqa posted:

Yeah I was been basically doing the same, but work was slow today and I wanted him dead.

What level are you up to now?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I've been letting the game grind away in the training room for the past week on and off.

I'm currently at level 2700 with:
Pow: 6445
Spd: 5500
Vit: 520
Luk: 1000

I've got a zomble EXP setup equipped an i think i'm just gonna keep letting it grind until i get 10000 in Pow and Speed and then let it try it's luck at the main path.

Presumably that should be enough to take it up to the last boss (and maybe beat it). Then i can just grind for money and buy all the gear.

edit: i'm not even bothering to put my stats in that often anymore either. It runs automatically for about 5 minutes in the training room without getting killed and i just do that for half an hour then plop the 1000 or so ability points into one of the stats.

I just watch TV or something and let it do it's thing.

Zomble really is a game changer.

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 26, 2014

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The boss, King, at 32.9 is a ridiculous brick wall. Currently I'm at level 4800ish with power just above 9000 (if you feel the need to make a stupid meme related joke here, please don't breed), speed at 12.5k, using a scissors 9 / invcloak / oreslime setup which gives spdup30 x2 and armtwister. And he's level 999 (whatever that means for monsters) with 40000 pow, 45000 speed and 2 million something HP. I can barely nick his HP bar before he one shots me. Going to be afk running the training tunnels for a long long time.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Meanwhile, I'm down at the other end of the game, and Devil is one shotting me, even though I have Paralyze/Paralyze/Poison. And no Zomble, so manual grinding. (Spoon trick isn't working on my Nexus 7 (2013)).

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I'm currently grinding for gold to buy some new armor, do higher level enemies drop more gold or am I just as well off farming slimes at 0.1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Higher level monsters drop more gold on average, they're better to grind if you don't get killed while doing it.

• Locked thread