Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
More good poo poo. Gonna grab it ASAP.
I'm distracted by The Witcher III but if anyone wants some FH2 multiplayer just post here with time and date, we'll do something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Dr. Faustus posted:

More good poo poo. Gonna grab it ASAP.
I'm distracted by The Witcher III but if anyone wants some FH2 multiplayer just post here with time and date, we'll do something.

It's me. I want too.

Tonight around 10? After that I could be available on Thursday night I think. (GRC is Wednesday, obv.)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

WienerDog posted:

It's me. I want too.

Tonight around 10? After that I could be available on Thursday night I think. (GRC is Wednesday, obv.)
I had company tonight but if you're still available Thursday we should do some drivin.

It's hard for me to make GRC races because I'm pretty down about being out of work and I'm having trouble sleeping (sorry, TMI) but FH2 is no pressure and we should goof around for fun.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I got the porsche dlc. only tried the 944 turbo so far, can confirm it drives beautifully

ethanol fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 10, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i ended up playing this all night gathering the porsche achievements. Been playing a lot of pcars, but the driving in this game is just fantastic.

all the new porsches are extremely good. my personal favorite has to be the '82 911 turbo which not only has a classic porsche interior, but seems like a fantastic candidate for rally upgrades . the 918 is just insanely fast and agile, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be the time setting hypercar in F6. Looks amazing too.

it's also rather amusing to see 7/10 cars in online lobbies be porsches

The carerra gt of course comes in red, so you can live your paul walker dreams. This car's engine sounds quite good as well, recommend you turn your speakers up and use exterior view for a bit.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yesss... I just caught up on the few car packs I was missing and this was one of them. Then I went through the tedious process of adding each car to my garage (for free :v:)

..aaaand I went back to questing in the Witcher 3.

The 911 Turbo has always been my super-duper favorite, though, and I can't wait to make a Storm Island version, like I did out of this old Stingray:

(which turned out to be a hilariously fun offroad car)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wolrah posted:

I was kind of hoping for a '91 928.

you are never going to see a 928 in forza motorsport, period.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
I set times in most of the Porsche rivals last night. Cool cars. I especially like the Carrera GT and GT3RS.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the macan bucket list challenge is extremely :argh:, the rest have been fun so far but this one is loving hard

finally did it and well.. you might want to watch the end of this video to figure it out how to get up the last hill in less than 10 seconds

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/InvadeFranceNow/video/3273439 :psyduck:

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 10, 2015

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Didn't they already say Porsche in FM6 in 2016?
I would definitely expect them to continue paying EA for these car licenses (and charging $20 for the DLC in February to finance that/revive sales of Forza 6, six months after launch) because everyone loves Porsches.

Wonder how the Top Gear license (specifically Jeremy talking about cars) plays out what with the "Clarkson-not-getting-renewed-this-year-but-likely-will-in-the-future Fracas" but Top Gear still existing as a BBC IP and all.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cubey posted:

you are never going to see a 928 in forza motorsport, period.

What's the reasoning?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Didn't they already say Porsche in FM6 in 2016?
I would definitely expect them to continue paying EA for these car licenses (and charging $20 for the DLC in February to finance that/revive sales of Forza 6, six months after launch) because everyone loves Porsches.

Wonder how the Top Gear license (specifically Jeremy talking about cars) plays out what with the "Clarkson-not-getting-renewed-this-year-but-likely-will-in-the-future Fracas" but Top Gear still existing as a BBC IP and all.

Yea, they mentioned it in the news release for the FH2 Porsche pack that they would be in FM6 in 2016.

I don't really care about hear the Top Gear presenters voices' in FM. It would be better then that soulless lady that introduces your new car purchases now, but I just want the Test Track to remain. Please let us keep the Test Track!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That woman is the worst. She clearly has never heard of half of those cars and is not a car fan.

Bring back the distinguished English gentleman to read info, he's at least heard of "YOUR NINETEEN EIGHTY FOUR FERR-ARRY? TWO EIGHTY EIGHT GEE TEE OH" before seeing the cue card in the voiceover booth.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GutBomb posted:

What's the reasoning?

If the 928 was ever going to be in a Forza game, or other games like it, it would be in them already over cars like the 914 or 944. The 928 was the premier Porsche in the 80's, out-performing the 911 in most respects. The only advantage the 911 had was in handling, but even then not by much and the 928 handled much more predictably as well. It's an awesome car that Porsche have spent some 20 years trying to erase from history.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cubey posted:

If the 928 was ever going to be in a Forza game, or other games like it, it would be in them already over cars like the 914 or 944. The 928 was the premier Porsche in the 80's, out-performing the 911 in most respects. The only advantage the 911 had was in handling, but even then not by much and the 928 handled much more predictably as well. It's an awesome car that Porsche have spent some 20 years trying to erase from history.

Oh I thought you knew something rather than just some speculation.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GutBomb posted:

Oh I thought you knew something rather than just some speculation.

There's absolutely no speculation in saying that at the very least Porsche doesn't give a hot flying poo poo about the 928, if not outright rejects it. Again, we got the 914, a piece of junk that isn't even really a Porsche at all, over the 928. In fact, of the many games with Porsches in them, the 928 has been in exactly one, which was a game that only featured Porsches and nothing else and came out 15 years ago.

We're more likely to see things like the Lamborghini Espada or the Ferrari Mondial before we see a 928.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 10, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Cubey posted:

we got the 914, a piece of junk that isn't even really a Porsche at all,

:catstare:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Sorry, the 914 sucks. The best you can say about it is that at least it isn't the 912 or 924.

e: this doesn't mean it's a bad thing to be in a video game however, for the same reasons that the Pinto and Corvair (and Codatronca) are not bad things to be in a video game.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 10, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cubey posted:

There's absolutely no speculation in saying that at the very least Porsche doesn't give a hot flying poo poo about the 928, if not outright rejects it.

Until Porsche or a video game developer actually makes some sort of announcement about the 928 appearing in a video game or not that's actually the dictionary definition of speculation...

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GutBomb posted:

Until Porsche or a video game developer actually makes some sort of announcement about the 928 appearing in a video game or not that's actually the dictionary definition of speculation...

It's logic and common sense. If you want to delude yourself into believing the 928 will ever be in a video game, go for it, just don't be disappointed when Forza Horizon 10 still does not have one.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'm not deluded. I simply asked if you had something concrete to back up your statement. Jesus Christ, you're an rear end in a top hat.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GutBomb posted:

I'm not deluded. I simply asked if you had something concrete to back up your statement. Jesus Christ, you're an rear end in a top hat.

No, you didn't asked for concrete proof. You asked for reasoning, and that is what I gave you. Sorry that you don't like the answer, bro v:shobon:v

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The 928 is in Forza 4. It's called the Panamera.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ether Frenzy posted:

The 928 is in Forza 4. It's called the Panamera.

The Panamera is a 4 door and isn't lovably ugly :colbert:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Cubey posted:

No, you didn't asked for concrete proof. You asked for reasoning, and that is what I gave you. Sorry that you don't like the answer, bro v:shobon:v

You stated "928 will never come to forza huff puff period" based on pure speculation and then called a poster delusional for pointing out that your opinion on Porsches is not common law. You are quite a peach

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

There are 19 games with the Porsche license. The 928 has been in exactly one of those, that one being a game featuring only Porsches, despite it being a top-of-the-line model for the company when it was current.

It's logical to assume that you won't see it in games going forward because if Porsche cared enough about a car that was so good they almost replaced the 911 with it entirely, you would've already seen it in games other than Porsche Unleashed. That they care more about a low-end Volkswagen speaks volumes.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cubey posted:

My distaste had nothing to do with the answer but with your claim of fact when it is merely speculation. I couldn't give two shits if there's ever a 928 in a game. I figured facts pertaining to the reason it would never appear in a game would be interesting.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Cubey posted:

There are 19 games with the Porsche license. The 928 has been in exactly one of those, that one being a game featuring only Porsches, despite it being a top-of-the-line model for the company when it was current.

Sounds like good reasons for it to pop up in forza

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GutBomb posted:

My distaste had nothing to do with the answer but with your claim of fact when it is merely speculation. I couldn't give two shits if there's ever a 928 in a game. I figured facts pertaining to the reason it would never appear in a game would be interesting.

Reading up on some history of the 928 and the controversy it caused among Porsche fans and what it did to Porsche themselves would tell you everything you need to know about why it has a snowball's chance in hell of appearing. Porsche fans hated the car, they hated that it was designed from the start to replace the 911, and it sold far less than Porsche were forecasting for the entirety of its existence. So poor were its sales that the head of Porsche got sacked because Porsche were no longer turning a profit at all and the future of the company was in peril as a result.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
And yet, this poor persecuted German Corvette was sold for nearly 20 years and despite it's clear brilliance as a GT car that isn't as good as a 911 when you're shopping for a 911, I almost never see any on the streets of Los Angeles so either it was not as good as a 911, not as reliable as a 911, or not as desirable as a 911.

Or perhaps the Porsche enthusiasts who buy and maintain old p-Cars just don't get the true essence of the 928's fantastic driving characteristics.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ether Frenzy posted:

And yet, this poor persecuted German Corvette was sold for nearly 20 years and despite it's clear brilliance as a GT car that isn't as good as a 911 when you're shopping for a 911, I almost never see any on the streets of Los Angeles so either it was not as good as a 911, not as reliable as a 911, or not as desirable as a 911.

Or perhaps the Porsche enthusiasts who buy and maintain old p-Cars just don't get the true essence of the 928's fantastic driving characteristics.

The real answer is that it wasn't a 911, that's pretty much the beginning and end of it. Keep in mind that Porsche fans also lost their poo poo when the 911 did away with air cooling and you will still find quite a few people who don't consider post-993s to be 'true' 911s, so a car that was designed to replace the 911 outright is about as sacrilegious as you can get.

It was also really expensive (approaching 100k by the late 80's) and had serious reliability problems compared to the 911 thanks to some bewilderingly stupid design decisions, like the world's most poorly thought-out belt system.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
So, like GutBomb and others have already said, what you're posting is speculation. I'll grant you that you are educated on the subject and you could very well be correct; but the fact remains that without definitive confirmation from a trustworthy source within Porsche, what you are posting fits the definition of, "speculation."
This is not actually in dispute. Anecdotes add up to "smoke = fire" but direct quotations are what are needed to lay this issue to rest (IMHO).

I am not disparaging you or your opinions, which could very well be factual. I am merely saying that without confirmation from the manufacturer, I guess CannotFindServer is gonna have to deal with it.

Not everything is a conspiracy, but some things kinda are. We just can guess, but we don't know.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Cubey posted:

It's logical to assume that you won't see it in games going forward because if Porsche cared enough about a car that was so good they almost replaced the 911 with it entirely, you would've already seen it in games other than Porsche Unleashed. That they care more about a low-end Volkswagen speaks volumes.

That's still speculation.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

That woman is the worst. She clearly has never heard of half of those cars and is not a car fan.

Bring back the distinguished English gentleman to read info, he's at least heard of "YOUR NINETEEN EIGHTY FOUR FERR-ARRY? TWO EIGHTY EIGHT GEE TEE OH" before seeing the cue card in the voiceover booth.

I'd rather it was skipped altogether so building my huge collection of poo poo cars I'll never drive doesn't take me five goddamn hours.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Atmus posted:

I'd rather it was skipped altogether so building my huge collection of poo poo cars I'll never drive doesn't take me five goddamn hours.
No poo poo. The DLC cars are all free to buy, let me buy them all at once or better yet, just pick the first manufacturer color and put them all in my garage. I'll paint and tart them up later.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
A new pack of 2 Porsches is now available for ALL Horizon 2 owners in the Forza Hub, but apparently only until July 24. Pack includes: 2012 Porsche 911 GT2 RS and the 2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo

Free content is cool.

Link here: http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fh2_two_free_porsches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

WienerDog posted:

A new pack of 2 Porsches is now available for ALL Horizon 2 owners in the Forza Hub, but apparently only until July 24. Pack includes: 2012 Porsche 911 GT2 RS and the 2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo

Free content is cool.

Link here: http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fh2_two_free_porsches
Hey thanks for the heads up, WD!
I got the recent IGN Car Pack and tooled around in this for a bit. The articulated "air grabber" is cool.

Hooray for free Porsches!

• Locked thread