Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

HonorableTB posted:

Edit: The more reviews I read on Glassdoor, the more I don't want this job at all. However, it's my only ticket to getting a salary that high and to get out of Atlanta without having to bankrupt myself in moving costs. I wish my current job would let me work remote (which they would, even from Seattle because half of my team is in Colorado, Washington DC, Maryland, and Florida) but would also give me that kind of pay as well. I couldn't live in Seattle on $45,000 a year. This loving blows.

Not all QAE teams in Amazon are the same. If you like the team, then you'll do fine. If you don't like the team, they are pretty flexible about letting people move within Amazon. Don't plan on moving here and just sticking it out for a year, though. Usually there's a period of time in which you'll have to stay with Amazon or else you'll be obligated to repay your signing bonus/relocation benefits.

Remember that QA is not a destination career for most people, so that distorts the reviews for large companies like Amazon. Most of the QA candidates I've met over the years just try for QAE because they think they should work in tech and don't know what else to do. A lot of devs also fall into this career when they can't pass a dev interview since QA is a way to still write some code. Another segment of the population really wants to go into project management but needs dev cycle experience first. It's rare to find people who actually love testing.

That said, Amazon does have a certain reputation in these parts, especially for QA. I was in one QAE interview with them once where the interviewer said the "high-performing company culture" was his favorite thing about working there. That's a huge red flag. Thankfully, if you're a QAE who can write some code, there are tons of SDET jobs at fun companies.

As an aside, some of the fancy new apartment buildings are absolute sweatboxes in the summer. Even my cats were sprawled out in the bathtub trying to keep cool at the Union. A lot of those buildings also don't have window screens (or useful windows at all), so don't count on opening windows to keep yourselves cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Don't plan on moving here and just sticking it out for a year, though. Usually there's a period of time in which you'll have to stay with Amazon or else you'll be obligated to repay your signing bonus/relocation benefits.
So the way this worked for me (as a dev), was that the signing bonus was essentially split into two years. So I got a signing bonus at the start that had a clawback of one year, then at the end of that year got a new signing bonus that had a clawback of one year. The relocation compensation had a clawback of two years. The signing bonuses were prorated on a daily basis, I think the same was true of the relocation but I can't check right now. In any case, it'll be specified in the offer.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
From what I hear, all the bad rap about working at Amazon is due to the Kindle team. So just don't join the Kindle team.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HonorableTB posted:

If she hasn't found a job by the time that we would move, that would allow me to continue building my savings and pay other expenses without the fear of eviction.

:lol: at the very thought of making 80K a year and the possibility of being evicted.

So did you get the job?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Rurutia posted:

From what I hear, all the bad rap about working at Amazon is due to the Kindle team. So just don't join the Kindle team.
I was in Kindle and my work life balance was fine, pretty much everyone I worked with seemed to be doing fine as well, at least for devs/QA (people and product managers did seem to be more stressed in general). "Kindle" is a huge division.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Cicero posted:

I was in Kindle and my work life balance was fine, pretty much everyone I worked with seemed to be doing fine as well, at least for devs/QA (people and product managers did seem to be more stressed in general). "Kindle" is a huge division.

Right. I was saying "Horror story from Amazon -> Kindle team". Not "Kindle team -> Horror story from Amazon". I think my advice still applies? There's tons of interesting teams outside of the Kindle division.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

spwrozek posted:

:lol: at the very thought of making 80K a year and the possibility of being evicted.

So did you get the job?

I did get it, and we're moving Saturday. Also, there are areas of the country where you definitely could fear eviction if you "only" made $80,000. San Francisco is one, Manhattan is another, and I'm sure there are neighborhoods of Seattle where that would be the case as well.

In any case, we decided to live in Fremont instead of Capitol Hill so that's not a worry for us anyway!

Edit: I'm not making quite $80,000 anyway. My base salary is $66,500 and they're giving me my $12,000 year one signing bonus up front on my first paycheck so it averages out to $78,500 in the end.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 21, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Rurutia posted:

Right. I was saying "Horror story from Amazon -> Kindle team". Not "Kindle team -> Horror story from Amazon". I think my advice still applies? There's tons of interesting teams outside of the Kindle division.
The team that I heard was bad was AWS, at least as far as oncalls go.

edit: oh yeah and teams that provide software for warehouses/logistics.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 21, 2014

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

HonorableTB posted:

In any case, we decided to live in Fremont instead of Capitol Hill so that's not a worry for us anyway!
Fremont is a cool place with good bus service, but as a warning if you make friends in Capitol Hill they will bitch and moan like it is an impossible to get to place despite being <5 miles away. Be sure to check out Mischief for vodka/gin and Add-a-Ball for cheap beer and arcade games (note: the definition of "cheap beer" is somewhat different in Seattle).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HonorableTB posted:

I did get it, and we're moving Saturday. Also, there are areas of the country where you definitely could fear eviction if you "only" made $80,000. San Francisco is one, Manhattan is another, and I'm sure there are neighborhoods of Seattle where that would be the case as well.

Edit: I'm not making quite $80,000 anyway. My base salary is $66,500 and they're giving me my $12,000 year one signing bonus up front on my first paycheck so it averages out to $78,500 in the end.

Congrats on the job.

But seriously dude people figure it out and make it work on minimum wage in those cities. And $80K is a poo poo ton of money. You should never make that much money and put yourself in a situation where you can get evicted.

• Locked thread