Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Albion Online is an isometric open world sandbox title created by Sandbox Interactive that is currently in the very polished alpha stages. When I said it in the title, I meant it. It really is the closest thing you'll ever get to a proper Ultima Online successor.

It's also completely cross platform. You can play on your iOS/Android phone or tablet, jump onto your Mac/Linux/Windows PC or even play it through your browser. The devs really want you to be constantly connected and once you've played it, trust me, you want to be. Each version plays fluidly so it really doesn't feel like an Android MMO, unless you're playing it on Android.

Introduction to Albion Online
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJg2-P3ESjI

September 15th update video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymRz-iKZpfE

Cross platform demonstration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx4LcwqzoEw

What happens when you die? This game is full loot. Don't worry though, people are finding a happy medium between cost to performance as they always have. Also your character's destiny board progression.

Destiny board? This thing is your character's progression and the progression is permanent. If you were to die with your most valuable gear, it might take you a while to get it back but it's really not that bad.

How does the class system work? There are no classes. It's Morrowind-style leveling. You get better as you do something more and more so potentially you could be perfect at everything. You basically complete objectives to progress in your destiny board.

How do skills work?You bind your skills to the weapons and armor you craft. There is a lot of customization here.

How do player owned structures work? Player owned structures can't be placed just anywhere but the majority of the game is constructed by the players. Players run the blacksmiths, players own the castles and players own the houses.

This looks amazing! How do I get in?You can buy in for the low price of $49.99 over at http://albiononline.com and clicking the big button. The test will last at least a month and there will be another test in December along with a closed beta phase that you can get into starting early 2015.

Subscription or F2P? Free2Play without a cash shop. Optional "premium account" status and there's purchasable currency which could be used to pay your property taxes. Not pay2win but pay to not be a little annoyed... Everything I've played in the previous two tests, it really is achievable to play the game without premium or the in game currency as long as you're playing and you'll definitely want to.

When does the game release? Early 2015

But what if I prefer Star Wars Galaxies to Ultima Online? Go play The Repopulation. I'll make a thread for that too.

Does Albion Online have a Goon guild? Not currently, but I'll make one during the next testing phase once there's an interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
So I have some random UO type questions since you brought it up as an influence of this game. Not sure if you can answer any of them.

Are there interesting skills like stealing, hiding, herding, animal taming, etc?
It sounds like there is no skill cap. True?
Will I spend my time macroing a character before going out into the world?
I understand you can't build everywhere but what prevents the urban sprawl of UO?
It sounds like items are important. Is it going to end up being an item hunt or can I still be competitive with normal weapons like UO?
What's the role of crafters? Will they make the best stuff like SWG or will they make regular stuff like UO?

I'll say I am cautiously optimistic. It looks really polished already. But until there are a ton of players to expose the shortcomings, everything always seems great.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

So I have some random UO type questions since you brought it up as an influence of this game. Not sure if you can answer any of them.

Are there interesting skills like stealing, hiding, herding, animal taming, etc?
It sounds like there is no skill cap. True?
Will I spend my time macroing a character before going out into the world?
I understand you can't build everywhere but what prevents the urban sprawl of UO?
It sounds like items are important. Is it going to end up being an item hunt or can I still be competitive with normal weapons like UO?
What's the role of crafters? Will they make the best stuff like SWG or will they make regular stuff like UO?

I'll say I am cautiously optimistic. It looks really polished already. But until there are a ton of players to expose the shortcomings, everything always seems great.

As for the urban sprawl problem, villages and cities will always be extremely active but the PVP areas and "guild villages" are not safe. Since it is quite possible to build anywhere you want as long as it's within the confines of a lot or a guild village, there's a bit of a risk factor and I've seen places there one week and gone the next. I think the sieging systems will keep remote areas fairly isolated and to anyone who attempts to change that will be punished greatly.

Once you max out your destiny board, I don't see how you'd be able to progress further. I may be wrong but I believe the developers have spoken about ways for players to improve their characters through improved gear, which may seem a bit overpowered but remember it is full loot and it's very dangerous to be walking around with a +10 greatsword of death

Stealing isn't in since it is full loot already, hiding isn't in (yet, they're working on some interesting stealth mechanics),

This is a "you are what you wear" sort of game but a tier 2 player can still beat a tier 4 character given that they know what they're doing. The destiny board progression will definitely help but you won't be spending hours before you start doing sandbox things. I mean if you're going to PVP and remain competitive, there is a much higher risk that you'll lose everything and you will have to invest your time into your gear again if you don't have backups or the coin to purchase stuff but it isn't as tedious as it sounds.

It's definitely a game where you can become known for your wares and sell them but they're still making normal items from what I understand, it isn't like Star Wars Galaxies in that way to my knowledge but there's always a constant demand for customization since the runes play a major role in the gear being worn so there's always transactions taking place. In my experience, there's a constant need for items and gear so the economy is extremely active. I'm not completely knowledgable about the crafting and the developers aren't quite sure either, they're always making improvements and I think it is quite possible that we might see a Star Wars Galaxies-like crafting overhaul in the future since they're always referencing it.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

So, how does the founder's system actually work - it looks like each test lasts for a month or so. Do they plan on shutting the server down between them? Or am I just totally reading this wrong.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

inkmoth posted:

So, how does the founder's system actually work - it looks like each test lasts for a month or so. Do they plan on shutting the server down between them? Or am I just totally reading this wrong.

Tests last a month up to 6 weeks and they close/wipe. However, the game is coming out really soon so it isn't that bad.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
Okay, so it's not pay to win but you can buy in game currency, in a game where everything you use for combat is produced in game by players. Is it a different kind of currency that can't be used to trade with players for equipment? If not, how is it not pay to win?

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

So I read up a little more in the forums, which surprisingly have a lot of useful info.

Housing: Players basically buy a plot of land, then build a building. I noticed they mention customizing the border to your estate using walls and fences. They you decide who else can build in your estate. So it sounds like the size of one estate is larger than the building itself; it includes a bit of land around it. Housing is also limited to safe areas and player cities. This seems like it would limit the sprawl by preventing every character from plopping down a hundred cheap houses in every available piece of land. However, it also might be hard for a noob to get established after the first week of release. I do like being able to respawn from your home.

I'm trying to understand the destiny board thing. Is it basically like the initial box is for novice swordsman. Then it branches into axes, one handed, two-handed, and something else? It looks like there are nine overall combat paths. Is this like magic, swords, shields, bows? Can you elaborate on this?

Also, I see fame. How does that play into things? Is there any sort of red/blue/grey flagging system? Can I become an old school dread lord like in UO?

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
I've been following this game for quite some time, and as soon as I recover from spending money on Archeage, Grim Dawn, and Divinity:Original Sin, I'll probably throw money at this too. It looks like a drat good time and goons will probably run this poo poo into the ground like they do everything else, which means fun for everyone.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006
Played it most of the afternoon/evening today. It has amazing potential and is really the first game to bring back the UO vibe for me. There are obviously quite a few edges that need to be sanded down, but for an early 2015 game it's looking great.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Okay, so it's not pay to win but you can buy in game currency, in a game where everything you use for combat is produced in game by players. Is it a different kind of currency that can't be used to trade with players for equipment? If not, how is it not pay to win?

Gold cannot be used for the marketplace.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

So I read up a little more in the forums, which surprisingly have a lot of useful info.

Housing: Players basically buy a plot of land, then build a building. I noticed they mention customizing the border to your estate using walls and fences. They you decide who else can build in your estate. So it sounds like the size of one estate is larger than the building itself; it includes a bit of land around it. Housing is also limited to safe areas and player cities. This seems like it would limit the sprawl by preventing every character from plopping down a hundred cheap houses in every available piece of land. However, it also might be hard for a noob to get established after the first week of release. I do like being able to respawn from your home.

I'm trying to understand the destiny board thing. Is it basically like the initial box is for novice swordsman. Then it branches into axes, one handed, two-handed, and something else? It looks like there are nine overall combat paths. Is this like magic, swords, shields, bows? Can you elaborate on this?

Also, I see fame. How does that play into things? Is there any sort of red/blue/grey flagging system? Can I become an old school dread lord like in UO?

Fame is essentially your experience bar for certain actions. As for the trees, there's crafting, resource gathering, combat and the character overall. Each of these items have their own objectives in order to unlock the destiny board piece and once you have acquired that piece of the board, you will get a bonus relevant to that particular skill and you will also unlock the next piece.

They don't allow me to see the bonuses until I've upgraded but the ones that I have now and I can see, they're things like 5% damage increase with *insert weapon type* and the ability to craft improved versions of an item. Even after death, your character will retain these traits and they'll certainly come in handy when you combine them all together.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I am really enjoying this so far, but I would enjoy it even more if we could get a goon guild going and work on a guild plot together. I also wouldn't mind some goons to go PVP'ing or dungeon crawling with. In game as oldirt

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
I can't believe this thread is about Albion Online.

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

This sounds really interesting. How in depth is the player housing. Can you for instance lock down items you find in the world in your house? Player housing was the main reason I played uo for so many years.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

Deadclown posted:

This sounds really interesting. How in depth is the player housing. Can you for instance lock down items you find in the world in your house? Player housing was the main reason I played uo for so many years.

I believe most housing items are crafted but I've read about world drops as well, so maybe? It's still quite alpha in some ways, and easily beta in others. Housing is very like UO.

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

As someone who only has a weakling of a linux laptop and an Android smartphone, this is very interesting to me. Is a Nexus 5 strong enough to run the game or are you expected to be running it on a tablet if you are going the mobile route?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
does it exist in a finished state and can i play it

oh pre beta nevermind

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

slouch posted:

As someone who only has a weakling of a linux laptop and an Android smartphone, this is very interesting to me. Is a Nexus 5 strong enough to run the game or are you expected to be running it on a tablet if you are going the mobile route?

They haven't said tablet only, but in the video I watched of them talking about cross-platform functionality, they only mentioned and showed Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS/Android Tablets. They said nothing of phones. I would assume phones are excluded for the time being.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Anyone that is in the game, how is it actually? Can we get a run-down of how good the game currently is? I usually don't buy into crap but this game looks like exactly what I've been itching to play lately, I found it on complete accident browsing twitch streams, and checked for an SA thread...

I just don't want to pay to play something barely functions or still has such a long road ahead that I'll be done with it before it even comes out.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006
It plays fantastically - it may be alpha in terms of features being fully fleshed out, but stability and the core game is far closer to late-term beta. I will try to put together a big write-up after the weekend, embroiled in a rather large pvp war/castle seige. If you're looking for a more up-to-date UO/medevil sandbox with some twists, when this releases it will be exactly what you're looking for.

Shodai fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 21, 2014

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Ugh, I bought in. I really hope I don't regret this (I will - even if it's amazing, I'm going to regret the time I spend clicking on dumb virtual rocks.)

In as Skeleton.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006
Name is Shodai in-game if you have any questions. Might have some gear if you need it.

Gargoyle
Feb 2, 2014
Been waiting for this OP, been playing the last few days, quite nice, feels weighty, simple yet room to stretch and grow. Needs more housing spaces but oh well

Edit:

Right now you start your character, move some sliders around and all that basic hooplah.

You get dropped into a safe-newbie area, docks here in Albion. Albion is this "abandoned" island that has recently had people coming back or some crazy crap I don't care particularly about.

First the bad. Since this game can be played on an Android, or other devices like such... It's a little simple control wise. Expect mouse-click move with a few hot-keys. Right now some annoying features are in but they will be worked out.

Resources are -everywhere-, and they have different tiers.

You start with T1, Rough wood and rocks, and rabbit skin/leather whatever it turns into. This allows you to construct the basic items of the game. Harvesting items, combat items, so on and so forth. When you craft an item you pick it's spells. No I am not kidding. There is no trainer, you literally inherit skills whilst wearing an item, and loose them when you un-equip.

So, with T1 tools and equipment down pat you go to a market hub area. Each square is it's own instance, load times are negligible on my PC. In the NPC hub you have access to all of the NPCs available. Blacksmith, Salvage/Reapir, Auction house, Smelter, leather dude, cotton lady, Wood person, and then specific "class" types for Cloth/Spell, Leather/ranged-assassin, and Plate/Melee, of course you can mix all of this and it works fine as such but I haven't gotten too far into itemization just yet. You also get a very important bank chest. It is only for that square and any other bank chest you come across is it's own entity.

You will be able to craft Novice items, and use them. Beginner = Tier 1.

From the market square you can pretty much go anywhere. nearly everywhere you'll go early on has 0 PVP. There are many PVE safe zones. As you do basic progression you will unlock the ability to craft/use higher tier items. The areas around are typically a winding road to the next areas, with woods on either side, and resources aloof. NPC's come in a few flavors and are not to be grinded like a typical MMO. Pull 2 and you're pretty much SOL depending on the situation.

You need the specific tool to harvest a resource, and a resource tool needs to be equipped, not a weapon. Any tool will do as long as the proper tool is in your inventory, it will auto-switch. It will NOT auto switch from weapon to tool, you have to do that MANUALLY. You will learn that typically a resource will have 16 bits harvestable. If you are right on the road, there will only be 1 or 2 of the 16 available before the resource depletes, further off the road, you will find 16/16 quite easily. Of course for higher grade stuff there will be competition so stay aloof of the other players around.

Getting enough bullshit (Not hard to do) and crafting it will quickly unlock Tier 2.

Tier 2 = Novice, using, gathering and crafting Novice stuff or with Novice gear will eventually unlock Journeyman gear, from there on the Destiny board things split. It goes into 3 areas with tiers, Gatherer, Fighter, and Craftsman. As you do those particular things, fighting, gathering, or crafting, you'll gain in that tree and progress further.

So with Tier 2 equipment and tools you can start harvesting Tier 3 materials, which is a challenge to find, it is heavily harvested, and costs silver to refine back at Market Base. To get silver, kill NPCs or sell stuff on the market. For now focus on killing NPCs. pick on ones in your Tier level.

Tier 3 = Journeyman and thats when the game opens up to focused specializations of your character through your time investment. AKA progression.

With Journeyman unlocked in the 3 trees the whole drat destiny board explodes with possibilities. I mean literally, take Fighter, Novice to Journeyman is easy and no problemo. It is linear. Once hitting Journeyman though...

Journeyman unlocks into Adept. Adept things that can be unlocked by doing things in said field:
.Melee Fighter
.Shieldfighter
.Plate Armor Fighter
.Ranged Fighter
.HornBlower
.Leather Armor Fighter
.Adept (PVE kills)
.Adept Mercenary (PVP Kills)
.Wandfighter
.Book Fighter
.Cloth Fighter.

All of that poo poo up there? ^^^^^^ That needs to be unlocked individually for what you want to pursue. So lets say I wanna do Melee Fighter. To unlock Adept Melee Fighter I need to: Kill creatures worth 180 fame (each creature is normally 1-3 fame depending on tier) wearing any Journeyman's Melee Weapon.

Now obviously if you are also wearing Tier 3 (Journeyman) Plate gear, you'll progress that too. I'm not sure if equipping Cloth+Leather+Plate items at the same time stack for all 3 types of armor but I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Journeyman items take some effort to gather and build, or some grind time to get silver to buy them off market (Market is all players, no NPC sells items, just allow you to craft at their stations

So take what I just wrote down and multiply that by 2 more full trees of Gathering and Crafting and you have the destiny board.

That's the basic intro of stuff I've found and done. House plots have all been taken (which is bullshit as some players got quite a few plots) and are now being sold for anywhere from 10,000 silver to 100,000 silver. Land cannot be bought with Gold as of yet. Gold being Real Life Monies currency. Since land plots are only in certain areas (Easily visible from any map) there will be a lot of house buying and trading in PVE land. it costs like ballpark 1200 silver A DAY to own land.

I don't own land, nor have a building/house. Cannot comment on any of that, but owning a house allows you to put stuff in it which gives bonuses to your character like armor and damage at all times.

Anyways, this has been a lovely intro to the game and is a lovely post. This game is entertaining so far, with clear goals of progression without being stupidly complex(IE: Horrible to understand UIs and bad game design with no clear goals)

Just joined a guild, literally not hard as there is a tab for a guild finder, accepted into large guild without any checks. Guild are fighting over large pre-build cities, I have no PVP'd yet, don't fully understand it, will shitpost later about findings.

Expecting Goons to Grief game as I think it's funny and entirely plausible. Forums are full of drama like the Corporation Alliance, and Organization Discussion forums on Eve Online were back when.

Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 21, 2014

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I've been following this for a bit but didn't want to buy a Founder's Pack since I spent $150 on another F2P game just to play early. Well I just won a pack on a Twitch giveaway so I'm in now! Name ingame is BadLeRo.

They have a referral thing going for ingame credit for the referrer. Mine is: https://albiononline.com/?ref=4X7YG7CX8X

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Alright, well, I guess I'm going to talk about my experiences so far.

First thing's first, there isn't a whole lot to the game right now. Pre-Alpha in this case doesn't mean a buggy mess. Instead, it means that it's very bare on features. Let's talk about what's in so far as I've seen.

Owning land and building buildings are both very big features. You can set taxes on your stations for others to use so that you profit, and guilds get territory.

Guilds are a huge part of the game, and you should join one as soon as you can. Eventually we'll have a goon guild, I assume, but for now, just to get into something where people can show you what's what, give you supplies you need in the beginning, and also give you a sweet banner to wear on your gear.

Combat is mechanically simple but smooth and works well and has a lot of variety. Gear has an interesting foundation and, if the devs stay for the course they've taken, is going to end up being a very fun part of the game. Try to get as many wearable armor pieces as you can as early as possible (kill a bunch of rabbits and craft the beginner leather armor or just wear the founders poo poo you get in the mail if you're starting this early) because that's how you get spells.

Gathering is exactly like you'd expect it to work (see a thing and click it with the right tool equipped), and smelting/chopping/tanning all happens at various stations.

Kill humanoids for silver and kill creatures for materials. This is important to know because pretty much everything you need to do on the plebian level requires silver.

Whispers, guild chat, global chat, /say, very basic graphics options and sound options, a skill board, 'quests' for fame are all in the game right now.

The UI is nice... but clearly oriented towards tablets. Thankfully, that means it is intuitive. Unfortunately, that means it is big and garish. Since it looks nice aesthetically, though, they could pretty much just halfsize it and let you customize the positioning and it would work well on PCs.

As for what the game is missing so far in terms of playability, it's basically just quality of life adjustments. The UI needs customization, keys need rebinding, the inventory needs more functionality (like shift-clicking to loot automatically), the game needs gear sets pretty badly, a party list and friends list are both pretty important features the game needs.

With the addition of things like stealth, alchemy, theft, more gear variety, more spells, animal training, party-focused pve areas, in-depth pvp customization, etc... basically more content, this game is going to be amazing.

My very first experience was wandering into a cave dressed as a naked hermit and running face to face into a druid. He swiftly kicked my rear end, but just before I died some other player came charging in with a spellbook in hand and saved my life and told me to run as he fended off the enemies. I hightailed it out of there, looting a corpse on the way for a good chunk of starter silver. It was awesome. It was exactly what I wanted. Then I joined some guild called Westport Pirates that owns land on the seaboard of the town of Westport, and my shield instantly got a skull and crossbones banner. I usually don't buy into alphas but I'm feeling good about this.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

It doesn't look like there is enough of us to make it worth starting a Goon guild just yet, but maybe somebody is playing in an established guild open to referrals we could all jump into? I am currently in Black Cocks because I always join the pubbie guild with the stupidest/most offensive name for maximum idiocy, but they aren't really that great.

FYI: NPCs silver drop works the same way as resources. The longer it has been since they have been killed the more silver they drop up to a maximum for their tier. Anytime you are near a dungeon pop in and kill the first npc. If it drops a decent amount of silver it is worth it to clear as far as you can. I've found spawns with 300+ silver a pop.

floydpepper
Nov 7, 2004

"It Don't Make You A Bad Person"
I was a huge fan of UO and this looks like it might scratch that itch. I'll have to wait for open beta/release. But I'm in.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

D-Pad posted:

It doesn't look like there is enough of us to make it worth starting a Goon guild just yet, but maybe somebody is playing in an established guild open to referrals we could all jump into? I am currently in Black Cocks because I always join the pubbie guild with the stupidest/most offensive name for maximum idiocy, but they aren't really that great.

FYI: NPCs silver drop works the same way as resources. The longer it has been since they have been killed the more silver they drop up to a maximum for their tier. Anytime you are near a dungeon pop in and kill the first npc. If it drops a decent amount of silver it is worth it to clear as far as you can. I've found spawns with 300+ silver a pop.

Yeah, that stupid druid I looted was in a dungeon right next to the starting town and dropped 270 silver. I didn't know that's why! I think the way resources work is solid. It helps that there is a BUNCH of it in the world, all over the places. Literally everything.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

How big does the world feel? Just from screenshots, it looks really small for some reason. Also, what's the general flow of things. Is it like Warcraft where you basically go from one static mob spot to the next along a track or can you wander around and end up in the middle of nowhere?

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

How big does the world feel? Just from screenshots, it looks really small for some reason. Also, what's the general flow of things. Is it like Warcraft where you basically go from one static mob spot to the next along a track or can you wander around and end up in the middle of nowhere?

It's hard to 'lose yourself' in the world because the map is pretty comprehensive. You can still wander around to where you want and get into all sorts of accidental trouble. There are areas with enemies (usually it seems like the closer you get to a dungeon, the more enemies there are) all over the place, and you can avoid them or go for it. A lot of the better crafting materials I see are around enemies, but I haven't really moved outside of the handful of non-pvp areas.

The world feels big to me. Theres a LOT of land to explore and huge areas for players to buy up and build on in every single space. The giant towns feel huge and it's impressive to see an entire village made out of player-owned parts.

The game doesn't really play or feel anything like Warcraft except for the whole click stuff to autoattack and equip armor to a character doll business. Standard RPG fare.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006
I think a lot of what has been mentioned so far in this thread covers the basics, so I will simply say that the game plays remarkably like UO. Some quick points.

The skill system is not pick 7 skills and grind them out. You can level up all of the specialties, from forging/smithing/cloth/lumber and so forth, which is great for making the game not feel grindy. I do think they should look into a more focused skill system though, where a character can specialize in say, armor crafting and really make amazing stuff others who do not specialize are unable.

The PVP system is great. I got into clan wars, took a major city, lost the city, lost our home base, reformed and took a new base and started putting up our various refineries. My clan went out in force mining/chopping/etc to created the highest tier refiners/vendors we can (rank 5 atm), and it's just been a blast. What really stuck out is that the folks I'm playing with are really into working together for a cause. This isn't to say there are not asshates in the game, but by and large the experience has been really positive.

The PVE system is similar to UO really, if not close to carbon copy. Dungeons and mobs all over, drop mats and loot.

Death is rough, and without having a good store of more armor, it can take a heavy toll. Death means a LOT. Which in-turn means pvp is not simply a given at all times, people seem to seriously consider odds before diving in. In the pvp-limited zones(yellow), you take a debuff for initiating pvp, knocking your stats down 25%, so it's a gamble. I does pay dividends to spend your time in the pvp(red) and pvp-limited zones are higher level gathering items are located here. Anyway, pvp zones have no debuff, and is really the wild wild west. Full loot is no joke.

Skills are similar to UO in some sense, but are tied to gear not learned skills. I'm on the fence with this, but it works very well.

You can sell items you craft in general or in an auction house. Auction houses are located throughout the major pve cities, as are personal chests, but these chests/ah's are local so if you run 10 zones away and something sells, or you need something from a chest elsewhere, you need to go back. It sounds painful, and at times it is, but it adds a lot of strategy and consequence.

Housing is awesome. Enough said, just like UO in every sense basically. Not as many items to customize your house in this alpha, but if you remember setting up your house in UO, this is basically the same. One difference (so far) is that all housing plots are designated in zones, so you cant just drop a house anywhere. The locations setup are nice though, strategic at that, so I'm cool with it. In cities it pays to find an expensive plot that will get heavy traffic so people use your stuff and you get paid.

The world is not small per-se, only 20 some "clusters" are open atm, with 200 planned. So if you have the impression that the game is small, that's because it's alpha and the player count is limited. They have said the 200 will be available at release. To date they've opened about 7 or 8 new clusters since Monday when the alpha started.

Combat itself is pretty similar to UO. Maybe diablo 3 is a better reference. It works, but has some alpha kinks they will work out. Never the less it's really good.

Graphics are heavily styled, sorta like torchlight, which is nice. You can tell this is done by a small group and that a lot is still in-progress, but I think it looks great. They may never hit Blizzard levels of presentation, but they will be close enough. The game also runs flawlessly, which is a surprise for an alpha. I can't speak for tablets (which I would not want to do anything on but gather stuff in PVE zones anyways), but I do like the option.

There are two currencies, gold and silver, silver is used for everything and gold can be bought. Gold can be used for some things (repairs, forging stuff, etc) and not for other things (houses, auction house, etc). I think they will tweak this system some as people are trying to trade gold for silver at a discount rate, so there is some room for iteration there, but the company does need to make money so we will have to wait and see how that shakes out. I will say that silver is VERY plentiful, and I will see zero reason to ever buy alternate currencies.

At this point I am hoping they add additional skills such as hiding/stealth/poisoning and so forth, especially for the solo players. Right now big guilds rule the roost (mostly due to limited space), but I still hope that additional utility is added for solo players who eventually want to venture outside of pve zones.

So is this game the second coming of UO? So far it's definitely on track. If they can add some more true sandbox elements (more traditional skill leveling, more options for soloers, more skills for more varied player-types) they definitely are delivering what many people have been hoping for. If you are on the fence about paying into the alpha, take the 50 dollar pack. I can whole-heartedly say I will try to get my 50 dollar pack upgrade to the 100 dollar one so I can get into the winter alpha a day earlier, and into the release a day earlier as well. The landrush and push to skill-up will be insanely nuts and fun on release.

One thing missing is a goon squad.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention is that politics and economy are integral to this game. Between alliances (officially in the game, adds a second tag next to your clan name) and cease-fires (gentleman's agreement right now), and simply controlling supply-lines, there's a ton of meta.

Shodai fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 22, 2014

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

I am pretty sure I read that they are working on adding stealth, but I may be mistaken about that.

The whole destiny board thing looks like a fun/different take on the traditional level grind.

I hope this game lives up to its potential. It is looking like it will be good times, if so. :dance:

Edit: Here is a post from earlier this year by the Founder/CEO mentioning how stealth is in the works: https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/1170-stealth/?postID=8374#post8374

madcow fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 22, 2014

hundredseven
May 29, 2013

slouch posted:

I havenĀ“t try this time but the previous alpha client ran flawlessly on my nexus 4, however, the screen is not big enough to have a decent experience. The nexus 7 was much better in that regard.

hundredseven fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 22, 2014

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

madcow posted:

I am pretty sure I read that they are working on adding stealth, but I may be mistaken about that.

The whole destiny board thing looks like a fun/different take on the traditional level grind.

I hope this game lives up to its potential. It is looking like it will be good times, if so. :dance:

Edit: Here is a post from earlier this year by the Founder/CEO mentioning how stealth is in the works: https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/1170-stealth/?postID=8374#post8374

So awesome, can't wait for stealth.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

quote:

Any type of rogue/assassin sounds overpowered in a game like this, they're always some kind of pinnacle 1v1 fighter and if they cant win they can easily escape

From that forum posting. I get that stealth is notoriously hard to balance in games, but this game has PLENTY of ways for it to be countered, and since skills are tied to gear, it balances out really well because they have to gear around countering it. This means that even if someone directly counters your stealth, they are at the same disadvantage you are (wasted skill slots.)

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
I decided to give this a shot, since it works on linux. For anyone else who tries the linux version, the launcher doesn't work out of the box. They compiled it with some libraries that are newer than the ones that ship with it. You can fix this by removing the 2 export lines from the launch script and just using the libraries on your system (assuming you have them installed).

Anyway, this game is lots of fun so far. I can't wait to help build the inevitable goon fortress. :black101:

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

Shodai posted:

Great info

Thanks for this. I'm probably going to fold and buy the drat game.

I still have a million questions of course. I'll focus on pvp and skills. The destiny thing seems more like Eve's system where going along one branch just gives certain skills along that branch more effectiveness, rather than brand new skills. Correct? Also, since everyone can learn everything, how's the speed of "leveling"? Do you max out your character pretty quick? Is it diminishing returns the further along a branch you go?

Now when it comes to pvp, is the playing field pretty even? I mean, do I need to be maxxed out or use super powerful weapons in order to compete? Also, I asked this earlier but I didn't see a response and can't find anything about it. Is there a flagging system? If I attack someone in the yellow zones, can others who were observers now attack me without penalty? Is there an equivalent to dread lord status ie no town access, kill on sight? How are player "levels" identified? Can I tell if someone might be a bad rear end or a noob when sizing up an opponent?

This is unrelated but one of your paragraphs intrigued me. You mention that auction houses and storage are local. I love that idea. I'm glad its being used and hope it stays. I think it creates a sense of local community and trade. Plus I would think it would make for interesting encounters if someone decided they wanted to make a long journey to another town to sell some goods. Is that what oxen are for? Does this create a bandit/highwayman vs mercenary protection system in the game?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
So this company doesnt let cc payers in? all i see is Paypal and something called Qwiwi.?

e: nm. im an idiot.

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 23, 2014

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

The destiny thing seems more like Eve's system where going along one branch just gives certain skills along that branch more effectiveness, rather than brand new skills. Correct?

Correct. Basically craft a buncha stuff, it ranks you up. Ranks gives you crafting bonuses etc. Eventually you open up a new "level" where you can crafted the next rank of that specific type of stuff.

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Also, since everyone can learn everything, how's the speed of "leveling"? Do you max out your character pretty quick? Is it diminishing returns the further along a branch you go?

There are no levels. Gear determines your skills/stats. I'm at tier 5 atm and there are 8 total tiers. Since I poopsocked a lot and am still at T5, I think that answers your question. No diminishing returns obviously, and each tier increase gives very tangible results.

I'm lobbying for a more skill-based system like UO. Not a huge fan of the gear system, but it does work well.

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Now when it comes to pvp, is the playing field pretty even? I mean, do I need to be maxxed out or use super powerful weapons in order to compete? Also, I asked this earlier but I didn't see a response and can't find anything about it. Is there a flagging system? If I attack someone in the yellow zones, can others who were observers now attack me without penalty? Is there an equivalent to dread lord status ie no town access, kill on sight? How are player "levels" identified? Can I tell if someone might be a bad rear end or a noob when sizing up an opponent?

Well there are tons of people at all the different tier levels. So the short answers is yes. Are there people rolling in T6 in large groups? A few, and if you're far lower tier you're gona get your poop pushed in. Then again there's little incentive to kill people with far lesser gear, and I haven't seen much in the way of griefing.

Yes there is a flagging system in PvP-limited zones. A PvP-limited zone means you can openly attack people, but you will take a debuff. You will also be revealed on the map if you attempt to kill someone in these zones.

There is no dreadlord status, much to my lament, but it has been discussed on forums. TBD I think. I only care because of the title, so I think our reasons for interest in it are different.

Right now you're identified by the tier level of your gear.

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

This is unrelated but one of your paragraphs intrigued me. You mention that auction houses and storage are local. I love that idea. I'm glad its being used and hope it stays. I think it creates a sense of local community and trade. Plus I would think it would make for interesting encounters if someone decided they wanted to make a long journey to another town to sell some goods. Is that what oxen are for? Does this create a bandit/highwayman vs mercenary protection system in the game?

Yep that's one big reason to have an Ox. I mostly use mine to move massive amounts of stuff around. EG. I had to move bucketloads of stuff 8 zones, which would have taken about 5 back-and-forth trips on my horse. Took one on my ox, and the ox is oviously slower, but you can get higher ranked oxes to solve that mostly.

And yes, bandits are a thing, mostly guilds right now but same effect. Will it create something more akin to what you're picturing in the future? I would think so. We move stuff around with several armored folks to protect us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

iminers posted:

So this company doesnt let cc payers in? all i see is Paypal and something called Qwiwi.?

e: nm. im an idiot.

Dogecoins

• Locked thread