Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Jhorphear - applying to vendetta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thantos911
Aug 25, 2012
Just don't mention you are a goon, there is some serious goonphobia going around because of goon swarm and people worried goons will invade their game and take it over.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

thantos911 posted:

Just don't mention you are a goon, there is some serious goonphobia going around because of goon swarm and people worried goons will invade their game and take it over.

Lol. I never mention goon squad. This ain't my first rodeo.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i love games where the word goon triggers people but sadly, i dont want to pay for another alpha game. i will be watching and reading along though.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

thantos911 posted:

If you do decide you want in feel free to use my referral and I will pass along 60% of the referral bonus gold.

https://albiononline.com/?ref=EWK9S1KN42

I'll probably be taking you up on this later this week.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
So how is this game anything like UO?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

SweetBro posted:

So how is this game anything like UO?

This is a really lazy question given what UO is known for / the nostalgia people have for it. I think you are really asking how this game differs from UO.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Dustoph posted:

This is a really lazy question given what UO is known for / the nostalgia people have for it. I think you are really asking how this game differs from UO.

I'm asking mechanically wise. Because mechanically speaking this is completely different from UO. At least from what I've read so far.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Well for someone who played UO in 97-99, pre-T2A, is there in depth PvP. Can duels literally go 20 minutes until someone makes a mistake and then it's over quick? Or is it cookie cutter MMO where paper beats rock?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

SweetBro posted:

I'm asking mechanically wise. Because mechanically speaking this is completely different from UO. At least from what I've read so far.
I'm pretty sure the combat mechanics are not why people want a new UO. It's usually more about that open living world feel, pvp-anywhere, and a flatish power curve (at least for stuff you can't lose like skills).

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Kylra posted:

I'm pretty sure the combat mechanics are not why people want a new UO. It's usually more about that open living world feel, pvp-anywhere, and a flatish power curve (at least for stuff you can't lose like skills).

Speak for yourself. I have EVE for my open world power trips, if people are claiming this is like UO then it needs to be mechanically similar to UO. If not, it's just another random open world game.

spacemarine1999
Nov 26, 2013

The memory
of this experience
will fade
a recent trailer (pre winter alpha, 1min 11sec) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLKhwbAsWfk

sadly they captured it with nameplates turned on, but it looks cool still

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

SweetBro posted:

Speak for yourself. I have EVE for my open world power trips, if people are claiming this is like UO then it needs to be mechanically similar to UO. If not, it's just another random open world game.
What do you care about as "UOlike" that presumably isn't in this game? Scrolling spells? Pre-casting? Rigid grid movement with fairly large squares/hexes?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I loved UO but even the player run emulated shards don't get everything right. A whole different game may have some similar elements but it's never going to be "another UO".

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 20, 2015

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
UO was amazing cause everyone was a blubbering noob.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Not everyone. Even in 98 few months after release people were gravitating towards 7x tank mages. Farming dastardly 3 or hythloth 3 for money, then macroing magery over night. Our hiring mages in wind to have cast on them for resist. There were quite a few ways to get ahead and some of the player base exploited the poo poo out of it, myself included. But holy gently caress early UO was a great experience, and I'm glad I got to be there.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Zotix posted:

But holy gently caress early UO was a great experience, and I'm glad I got to be there.

I never played UO or EQ, but that's exactly how I feel about Asheron's Call, the last of the "Big 3."
From 1999-2002 that game was incredible.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Kylra posted:

Yeah, this is all I'm after. A reasonably flat power curve that doesn't punish you for not playing all day and a player driven economy sound great. As far as I can tell this game provides both of those things. I'll be playing as Schwack and I have no guild because I dont know anything about anything.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Zotix posted:

Not everyone. Even in 98 few months after release people were gravitating towards 7x tank mages.

Compare that to today where people have optimal builds and leveling strategies pretty much hashed out before the end of beta. There will never be another era quite like early UO, but this game looks good!

thantos911
Aug 25, 2012

Typical Pubbie posted:

Compare that to today where people have optimal builds and leveling strategies pretty much hashed out before the end of beta. There will never be another era quite like early UO, but this game looks good!

I do agree UO was my favorite of all time. Running into the minoc mines or dastard to people yelling "PK! PK! run!" I can't tell you how many times I about fell out my chair. Loved being Red hated trammel, when it was released.....

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Think anyone can help me get into one of the bigger guilds? I really think applying to guilds is retarded and apparently my half assed attempt to get into vendetta failed.

Edit: I am in immortals. Not sure how this is gonna work out but I think they got a bunch of peeps

jhorphear fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 21, 2015

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

drat I'm looking forward trying this out for the first time on Monday! I love mmo's but my current situation provides me with only sporadic time to sit at my desktop and play, so the idea of logging in on my iPhone or turning on my mobile hotspot and playing on my iPad is really exciting! Even if I only do non-PvP stuff on my iPhone/iPad then do PvP stuff on my desktop when time allows, the idea of always having access to the game world is really awesome.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

SamEyeAm posted:

drat I'm looking forward trying this out for the first time on Monday! I love mmo's but my current situation provides me with only sporadic time to sit at my desktop and play, so the idea of logging in on my iPhone or turning on my mobile hotspot and playing on my iPad is really exciting! Even if I only do non-PvP stuff on my iPhone/iPad then do PvP stuff on my desktop when time allows, the idea of always having access to the game world is really awesome.

Just so you know the IOS client wont be released during alpha.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

jhorphear posted:

Just so you know the IOS client wont be released during alpha.

You're crushing my soul right now...

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

i am sorry to be the bearer of bad news. but they way apple approves apps for the store they would have to pay a huge chunk of money and the alpha test would be over by the time it passes their approval process.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Hey thantos, i just bought a founderpack. it will probably be under my email addy ( bucklane@gmail.com )

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Man I'm really tempted about buying this game, but I also just spent a bunch of money on Evolve and still got winter sale games to play.

Looking forward to analysis of how it plays in the upcoming alpha so I know if I should buy access or wait until summer/beta

thantos911
Aug 25, 2012

jhorphear posted:

Hey thantos, i just bought a founderpack. it will probably be under my email addy ( bucklane@gmail.com )

Cool ill check on it when I get a moment. Sorry about Vendetta not picking you up did they send you a email or something saying you where not in?

hmm does not show yet. probably too early though.

thantos911 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 22, 2015

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

thantos911 posted:

Cool ill check on it when I get a moment. Sorry about Vendetta not picking you up did they send you a email or something saying you where not in?

Apparently they tried contacting me on the forums, and i just plain forgot to log in and check my messages. So its kinda my bad on that one lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

thantos911 posted:

Whats the vendetta website so i can apply

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Eonwe posted:

Whats the vendetta website so i can apply

Vendetta closed their application process last saturday

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
effort,

im just gonna run around solo and figure the game out

i don't need access to the high tier mats to understand the game processes before it comes out for real

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Is there a quick start guide type thing somewhere? I'd rather not be pvp fodder the first day.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

iPhone wifi hotspot data usage question.

Since AO isn't very resource intensive and runs smoothly on basic computers and even older android phones, do you think the hotspot data usage might be less than playing something like Guild Wars or WoW? After finding out I can't play alpha on my iPad/iPhone I'm looking for another solution, and would like to play on my laptop with the hotspot, but not if I'm going to use 500mb or more a session.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

SamEyeAm posted:

iPhone wifi hotspot data usage question.

Since AO isn't very resource intensive and runs smoothly on basic computers and even older android phones, do you think the hotspot data usage might be less than playing something like Guild Wars or WoW? After finding out I can't play alpha on my iPad/iPhone I'm looking for another solution, and would like to play on my laptop with the hotspot, but not if I'm going to use 500mb or more a session.

I dont think you would use that much, although it is using the unity engine, so it all depends on how optimized their networking stack is. I would say maybe 85-100mb an hour would be a descent guess.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
did albion do something lately or add a share button or something? i moderate some forums and run some other stuff and am seeing a disgustingly massive uptick on new account signup spam linking to the albion site; in addition to hundreds more bans per day on my twitch chat for those urls

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Biowarfare posted:

did albion do something lately or add a share button or something? i moderate some forums and run some other stuff and am seeing a disgustingly massive uptick on new account signup spam linking to the albion site; in addition to hundreds more bans per day on my twitch chat for those urls

They implemented free founders packs if you get so many referrals. The program is stupid and has done nothing but cause people to spam referral links.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Is it possible to enjoy the game solo while I learn during this alpha, or do I need to join a guild to have any fun?

NoUU fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 22, 2015

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

The client is published for download!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

jhorphear posted:

The client is published for download!

Do you need to have founder status to download?

• Locked thread