Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/hydrogen-peroxide/

Answer: because that poo poo is bad to put on your wounds. It's so powerful it kills skin cells, which slows healing and can lead to scarring. And having dead skin cells inside your wound can lead to...infections.

You can dilute the poo poo out of it to make it actually useful, but a solution of povidone iodine is much better for disinfecting wounds of all kinds.

Public service announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

it's not that cheap

it costs me like 6 bucks to buy enough to remove algae from a water vacuum bag

Salmon Season
Aug 16, 2005

This information goes against everything I believe to be true. I will need time to process. My memories from elementary school tell me that iodine is both brutally painful and also humiliatingly orange. Is this correct? Note: I was/am a huge baby.

Also, I'm added people's new descriptions of the taste and they're really funny.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
The top and bottom of the bottle was a nice touch.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
nice article demonstrating plebeian understandings of hydrogen peroxide use

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
One day I noticed that my hydrogen peroxide bottle said it could be used as an "oral debridement agent". I didn't know what "debridement" meant, so I Googled it.

Never GIS "debridement". :barf:

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
I really like this article and I would totally like to see this on vice or huff-po in the future.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
lol if u dont use mercurochrome

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Ema Nymton posted:

One day I noticed that my hydrogen peroxide bottle said it could be used as an "oral debridement agent". I didn't know what "debridement" meant, so I Googled it.

Never GIS "debridement". :barf:
why, I don't see anything bad?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
It's cheap, yet this contact cleaning solution which is just hydrogen peroxide costs 20 bucks, just so you can have a squeeze nozzle.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

It's heavily subsidized. That way terrorists try to buy a lot of it and then get caught.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Vengarr posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/hydrogen-peroxide/

Answer: because that poo poo is bad to put on your wounds. It's so powerful it kills skin cells, which slows healing and can lead to scarring. And having dead skin cells inside your wound can lead to...infections.

You can dilute the poo poo out of it to make it actually useful, but a solution of povidone iodine is much better for disinfecting wounds of all kinds.

Public service announcement.

WHOA WHOA WHOA MOTHERFUCKER.

Don't be telling people to use iodine willy-nilly you idiot, that poo poo can gently caress some people up bad.

Watching someone go into Anaphylactic shock because you swabbed them with iodine is a great way to ruin your day.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Why's it called Rubbing Alcohol anyway

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
its fake. it is just hexacloraphine

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
you can make bombs with it, you're welcome

Salmon Season
Aug 16, 2005

My world view has been so challenged that last week I cut my finger, and I've just sort of let it swell up with infection. It's bright red and burning at about fifteen degrees warmer than the rest of my body. I hope you're happy.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

Hydrogen peroxide is good for making your dog puke if he eats something he shouldn't.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

InterceptorV8 posted:

Don't be telling people to use iodine willy-nilly you idiot, that poo poo can gently caress some people up bad.

Watching someone go into Anaphylactic shock because you swabbed them with iodine is a great way to ruin your day.

Iodine is an extremely common substance, you're not likely to be allergic to it. Much less experience an anaphylactic reaction. That's airplane-crash levels of unlikely.

Besides, you're supposed to water it down. A tiny bit of P-iodine goes a long way.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

i was working in the lab one night and spilled some 40% hydrogen peroxide and my elbow touched it. didn't realize it until a few hours later when I was wondering why I had hard white patches of skin. poo poo sucks if you get it on you

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Costello Jello posted:

It's cheap, yet this contact cleaning solution which is just hydrogen peroxide costs 20 bucks, just so you can have a squeeze nozzle.

this is like the best contact solution

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

FordPRefectLL posted:

Agreed. How anyone can be comfortable "sanitizing" their lenses in the same loving solution that is safe to squirt in your eyes is beyond me.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
too bad you cant get iodine easily because meth

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Jesus, just use saline solution to sluice a wound, don't use anything to disinfect something that's not actually infected.

Beer Jerky
Nov 3, 2011
I prefer Shankman's Rubbing Compound for my needs

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

dad gay. so what posted:

its fake. it is just hexacloraphine

Just like Bielefeld, Germany, photos of which are always other cities

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

InterceptorV8 posted:

uh

This is iodine solution in jelly form.

If you go to a doctor with some sort of infected wound the first thing they'll do is smear the entire package on it.

Then they tell you to buy one yourself because why didn't you use it after you cut yourself in the first place you idiot

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Soap and water is all you really need. Really!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Rub some dirt on it, you wimps.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

FordPRefectLL posted:

I had a friend stay over and didn't realize it was any different than normal solution, and he ended up at urgent care a few hours later.

poo poo works wonders for me though!

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Gargle that poo poo for whiter teeth.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
i debride and cauterize my wounds with a searing sword before returning to battle

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

About 15 years ago I received a rather nasty 2nd degree burn to my hand from lighting a fire using methylated spirit's while a bit high. Who would have thought fire would jump from my parent's fireplace to the vapor wafting from the bottle.

Anyway every 2nd day the local nurse would peel off the beeswax dressings wash my hand down with a peroxide solution which would froth and look really cool without any pain. Within a few weeks nice healthy pink skin had regrown.

Another peroxide success story - my cat had a giant abscess at the time and we couldn't afford a large vets bill and well peroxide fixed the nasty gaping wound in my cat.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Hydrogen Peroxide is good to have around in case your dog ingests something bad news. Mix it with peanut butter and the dog will puke. It should be a new unopened bottle though as it loses its strength after sitting opened.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
HP is fine. Yeah, it kills skin cells, but that's why you thoroughly wash wounds after using it and keep it bandaged after. You're not Goku, you're not trying to instant regenerate with a senzu bean, you gently caress the wound up worse temporarily to prevent it from getting much worse later.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Cool, this goddamn thread is still wheezing along into 2015.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
It's great for getting blood out of clothes.

Tearsaslube
Jan 5, 2015

by XyloJW
Also good for helping find puncture wounds because it prickles a little

Dont drink it.

Oh it also softens old scabs so you can compress the poo poo out of roadrash and still move

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
To think that the Germans built entire factories in Norway to manufacture this stuff during World War 2 (later sabotaged by freedom fighters), and here we are buying it at Walgreens and swabbing our wounds with it like it's normal water.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vengarr posted:

That's airplane-crash levels of unlikely.

*gets rid of all iodine solutions in my house*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Costello Jello posted:

i can spend 5.99 on some tile cleaner for my bathroom or go to a pharmacy's first aid section and get a big bottle of 1.79 hydro pyroxide instead, it's pretty cool

• Locked thread