Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
all that said kids def need extracurricular activities

i had zero structure growing up and it shows :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

the house was completely empty until ~6pm, we got off the bus at 3:30ish and walked about half a mile home

all i cared about was racing home to get on the computer lol

same

except i was also frequently chased home by the older hosed up rich kids and my parents didn't even come close to giving a poo poo

after like black eye #2 or 3 they made me take some martial arts but lol 13 year old against 3 older teens is just some tom & jerry poo poo when they catch you

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

same

except i was also frequently chased home by the older hosed up rich kids and my parents didn't even come close to giving a poo poo

after like black eye #2 or 3 they made me take some martial arts but lol 13 year old against 3 older teens is just some tom & jerry poo poo

lol if you didn't make friends with the biggest motherfucker you could find so you could mouth off other shitheads with impunity and/or cultivate a reputation of being probably batshit crazy (don't do this one now post-columbine)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cold on a Cob posted:

(don't do this one now post-columbine)

key point here

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i think we're getting away from the point that men are scum and should not be allowed into the public sphere

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol if you didn't make friends with the biggest motherfucker you could find so you could mouth off other shitheads with impunity and/or cultivate a reputation of being probably batshit crazy (don't do this one now post-columbine)

nah i just grew about a foot over the summer before 8th grade and mysteriously started being left alone

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got hosed with a fair bit and then in 8th grade this hosed up ginger weirdo named Warren started messing with me a bunch and one day after lunch I jumped up and pushed him against the wall and gave him three good pops to the side of the head, he started crying and i never got poo poo again till i moved

it really is like jail

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

it really is like jail

well this was outside of school but yeah the suburbs are definitely like jail

kinda like the big empty prison planet from alien3

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dude the suburbs are fuuuuuucked up and you dont even realize till you get out of them

all that disorienting dead end loop to cul de sac street poo poo, impossible for any non residents to use the streets for any through traffic, people crammed in but nobody talks to each other and they all drive miles and miles to go to the simplest of stores

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in fayetteville you can judge ahow affluent a neighborhood it is by how many of those tedious speed humps are in the street, its directly proportional

poor streets look like glass and rich streets look like an excitebike course

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
when i was 10 my dad would send me across the street for smokes and a bottle of bacardi.
used to go running through the jungle every day after school and play in old world war 2 japanese tunnels (even though there was one probably a 1/4 mile from the one we played in that was barred up because it was full of unexploded munitions.)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

when i was 10 my dad would send me across the street for smokes and a bottle of bacardi.

hahah YES, i was riding my bike unsupervised down to the corner store and buying packs of salem lights for my mom in like 4th grade

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one time she was getting ready to bake something and we were short eggs and she said "jonny ride down to the store and get a dozen eggs! I only really need two so if you fall and crash just make sure you bring two back!"

So i pedaled down and plopped down the eight cents or whatever it was for a dozen eggs in 1987 and rode back and on the way back

i hit a bad gravel patch
and went down

on the eggs

With as much composure as I could muster, I slowly rolled over and opened the carton.

Ten smashed.
Two good.

mrs loves this story

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
it's a good story

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

here's a cool article I want every parent to read

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/03/hey-parents-leave-those-kids-alone/358631/

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
it's amazing how much you fall down as a kid or teen on a skateboard/bike.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

I've read this before this owns

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!

holy poo poo that playground is pretty cool

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Sagebrush posted:

you can still get those.

at the toy store, for children to use as pretend strollers for their dolls

see also: whoever it was last year who wanted to get a radio flyer wagon for his kids but instead of this all-american classic

his wife made him get this retarded plastic suv monstrosity

that might be me you're talking about but it wasn't my wife made us get that, my mom got it for us for christmas.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

that one has a roof so you can get into all sorts of rollover accidents and be ok

this is still enjoyable until you can no longer cram your small friend into the vehicle

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I'm talking about the full plastic model

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

dude i am not but i read it all and holy poo poo i would donate money and/or volunteer for a place like this

during those latchkey years we were living in a brand new house in a mostly-yet-to-be-built housing development that constantly had construction materials around. Ignoring the wrongness of the whole stealing 2x4's aspect of it, that was one of the most fun times i ever had as a kid. we had great treehouses and hideouts all over the neighborhood and they were dangerous 2 story structures that i had rudimentary power and water in and oh mannnnnn it was fun.

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

it's amazing how much you fall down as a kid or teen on a skateboard/bike.

same w/ ice skating, lil kids fall down all the time but they fall like 2 feet so its a-ok

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!

Egan Yardley posted:

same w/ ice skating, lil kids fall down all the time but they fall like 2 feet so its a-ok

i'm a little bit taller than I was at 16 or so when i stopped being at all crazy about skate boarding and i can say quite comfortably that i'm no longer even slightly comfortable with idea of falling when moving 15 or 30 mph onto pavement or from 10+ feet onto a wooden skate ramp.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

what if you were wearing some futuristic body armor that absorbed the kinetic energy and stored it in an energy cell somewhere

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i'm a little bit taller than I was at 16 or so when i stopped being at all crazy about skate boarding and i can say quite comfortably that i'm no longer even slightly comfortable with idea of falling when moving 15 or 30 mph onto pavement or from 10+ feet onto a wooden skate ramp.

the longboards that all the kids ride now are hella dangerous too. our dealer in AR got cut off by his buddy on his board and broke his loving back and exploded his spleen or somethin

long springy board lets you stay stable at unsafe speeds

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

dude i am not but i read it all and holy poo poo i would donate money and/or volunteer for a place like this

during those latchkey years we were living in a brand new house in a mostly-yet-to-be-built housing development that constantly had construction materials around. Ignoring the wrongness of the whole stealing 2x4's aspect of it, that was one of the most fun times i ever had as a kid. we had great treehouses and hideouts all over the neighborhood and they were dangerous 2 story structures that i had rudimentary power and water in and oh mannnnnn it was fun.

epic samsies

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!

rotor posted:

epic samsies

face it you can only play space invaders on your friends 2600 for so long before you have to go outside and build/burn/go faster than is safe.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lol that kids are permitted to play football or glide around on planks of wood

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
want your 2 acre yard mowed in record time? "you can't get on the computer until you cut the grass"

mexicans on zero-turns aint got poo poo on me in that situation

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
i had a whole slough behind my latchkey childhood house to play in, and the run of the semi rural neighborhood in spite of some well publicized murders and rapes

and nthing that construction sites are hell of fun to play in, especially houses that only have tyvek on so you can just cut your way in and you have a whole big playhouse with rough plumbing to dodge around

kids were like little hobos back in the day

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Ah man there used to be a giant dirt lot in my neighborhood when I was growing up that was just like this. We would throw hardened chunks of mud at each other for fun and light fires in this huge hole in the ground left from a tree that fell over :allears:

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny 290 posted:

want your 2 acre yard mowed in record time? "you can't get on the computer until you cut the grass"

mexicans on zero-turns aint got poo poo on me in that situation

shityeah can't wait for my boys to cut my grass

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

did this thread already talk about that adventure park place where kids just get to nail poo poo together and build zip lines and other acceptably dangerous activities

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Careful Drums posted:

shityeah can't wait for my boys to cut my grass

my boy is just old enuf but now we got this fuckin drought and also I got gophers like a motherfucker and, well, my lawn ain't doin so great

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

duTrieux. posted:

did this thread already talk about that adventure park place where kids just get to nail poo poo together and build zip lines and other acceptably dangerous activities

ya we got that, thx tho

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rotor posted:

my boy is just old enuf but now we got this fuckin drought and also I got gophers like a motherfucker and, well, my lawn ain't doin so great

sucks, sorry rotor, maybe next year

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gonna build a badass and totally unsafe snowfort with my 3yrold this winter its gonna ownnnn

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I built my kids a lil fort in the back yard and didn't get around to putting a ladder on it so they just climb up the side and they like it that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

rotor posted:

I built my kids a lil fort in the back yard and didn't get around to putting a ladder on it so they just climb up the side and they like it that way

I had a fort like that when I was growing up too, we used to jump off the roof of it into big piles of snow.

also we had a vacant lot across the street until I was like 15 and it owned. someone had like started the process of building a house and dug out a big hole where the basement would be but then it just sat like that for years and was great for sledding and in the summer it was a fun pond+mud pit.

• Locked thread